msstate7
02-05-2015, 11:35 AM
I can't wait to these battles...

Shump, lee, Williams, and perhaps Gibson/Murphy/dear at rb

Myles, gray, graham, and perhaps Thomas/mixon/dear at slot

Williams, fitz, and staley at backup qb

Rankin and senior at lt

Te

I assume Ryan brown at one end, so Calvin, Jefferson, and maybe Coleman at the other.

S

bulldawg28
02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Myles is everything you want in an outside WR. He would give us the deep threat and make people miss creating big plays out there.

thedawg
02-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I disagree on Myles.. He's really quick and is hard to tackle in space. He was good as a Freshmen in the slot and will only improve. I expect him and Gray to be a great 1-2 punch next year. Im not sure where Graham falls and Deddrick will have to redshirt.

smootness
02-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I'll be honest, if we put Gray in the slot, I really don't think it's going to be much of a battle.

On the others, here are my guesses:
RB - Shumpert to carry the majority of the load, I think Williams and Lee will both get carries
QB - Williams to be #2, but if Dak went down, I think we might go with Fitzgerald
LT - Rankin
TE - Walley as the receiver, Hutcherson as the blocker
DE - Jefferson, Calvin will be good to get either a breather
S - Market and Gray initially, Peters and Bryant will get a lot of time eventually

SheltonChoked
02-05-2015, 12:26 PM
After hearing former players (Turtle, Love, and Bump) on The Slant rave about him, I think Nick Fitz is the #2 QB.

thedawg
02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Fitz will be Daks replacement after next year... Its all a question when Damien gets his feelings hurt

msstate7
02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
After hearing former players (Turtle, Love, and Bump) on The Slant rave about him, I think Nick Fitz is the #2 QB.

If fitz takes #2 outright, I wonder if staley goes to ray full time

thedawg
02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

A very real possibility.. I bet Staley ends up basketball only or transferring out after next year.. Fitz is the guy and Tiano is a great fit for the system.

HoopsDawg
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Staley was the better looking QB until he got hurt. Fitz is ahead because he has gotten more reps. Staley has more upside.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Anybody counting Staley out is just wrong. Staley has more talent than any qb on campus. He needs to mature sure but he also just turned 18 his 1st day on campus. He has physical gifts that nobody in that qb room has. Fitz has the edge on him due to time in the program but by this time next year that won't be a factor. If he can keep maturing he will be the starting qb in 2016. Basketball won't be apart of his future too bad on his knees.

HoopsDawg
02-05-2015, 12:41 PM
I can't wait to these battles...

Shump, lee, Williams, and perhaps Gibson/Murphy/dear at rb

Myles, gray, graham, and perhaps Thomas/mixon/dear at slot

Williams, fitz, and staley at backup qb

Rankin and senior at lt

Te

I assume Ryan brown at one end, so Calvin, Jefferson, and maybe Coleman at the other.

S

Shump will be the feature back. We need to find a guy with a little more explosion so Gibson has a shot at playing as a true freshman.

Gray is the slot guy unless Mullen's just wants to be stubborn.

We all better hope that Rankin wins the LT spot.

We need a TE to step up other than Walley. I have no idea who that will be. I'm hoping Dontea Jones.

S: Depends if Cleveland is moving to S. If he stays at CB, our top 3 safties are Coman, Bryant and Peters. Though I know the coaches will keep Market and Evans in the mix.

thedawg
02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Lets look at facts on the issue.. Fitz left high school a semester early to enter the program. Staley was dismissed from his high school program and then had the opportunity to graduate early and join the football program. His father tried to convince him to graduate a semester early and even got on 247 board asking fans to try and "talk him into it on Twitter." Staley passed and played high school basketball. Staley has put out a few questionable tweets since being at Mississippi State. Nothing criminal but the kind of stuff that would make you question whether or not he has grown up enough to be the face of the program. Then in an unfortunate turn he got hurt and now will be rehabbing all off season and probably miss Spring. This is certainly not his fault but obviously a factor. So yeah he probably does have a little more raw talent than Fitz, but at some point development and maturity passes a narrow talent gap. I would like to say that Fitz is very talented in his own right. I could give you a million examples of a less talented players starting and excelling over more talented ones. All of these things add up.. Some are Staley's fault some are not. Some are minor and some are not... but the sum is the same. So I stand by my statement: Fitz will be the guy.

maroonmania
02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Anybody counting Staley out is just wrong. Staley has more talent than any qb on campus. He needs to mature sure but he also just turned 18 his 1st day on campus. He has physical gifts that nobody in that qb room has. Fitz has the edge on him due to time in the program but by this time next year that won't be a factor. If he can keep maturing he will be the starting qb in 2016. Basketball won't be apart of his future too bad on his knees.

And Staley is the only guy I've ever heard Mullen call a 5 star recruit.

HancockCountyDog
02-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Lets look at facts on the issue.. Fitz left high school a semester early to enter the program. Staley was dismissed from his high school program and then had the opportunity to graduate early and join the football program. His father tried to convince him to graduate a semester early and even got on 247 board asking fans to try and "talk him into it on Twitter." Staley passed and played high school basketball. Staley has put out a few questionable tweets since being at Mississippi State. Nothing criminal but the kind of stuff that would make you question whether or not he has grown up enough to be the face of the program. Then in an unfortunate turn he got hurt and now will be rehabbing all off season and probably miss Spring. This is certainly not his fault but obviously a factor. So yeah he probably does have a little more raw talent than Fitz, but at some point development and maturity passes a narrow talent gap. I would like to say that Fitz is very talented in his own right. I could give you a million examples of a less talented players starting and excelling over more talented ones. All of these things add up.. Some are Staley's fault some are not. Some are minor and some are not... but the sum is the same. So I stand by my statement: Fitz will be the guy.

Considering Staley has about 18 months before he has to be the starter, its way too early to say anything about who will be the starter in 2016. Barring an injury, Damien will be the backup and if history is an indication, Damien will be given a shot at the starting gig in 2016, but I don't see that lasting.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Don't really disagree with anything you said but you're projecting a year & a half ahead based on a kid 1st 9 months on campus. Besides being emotional on Twitter he's been everything the coaches could hope for. Does he need to chill out on that? Yes of course. Will that matter if he can lead the team & produce points on the field? Absolutely not.

Martianlander
02-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I like the depth we are building-period!

msstate7
02-05-2015, 01:39 PM
I like the depth we are building-period!

I do too, but I want to get to the point where we cherry pick juco's instead of recruiting them for need.

Covercorner2
02-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Shump will be the feature back. We need to find a guy with a little more explosion so Gibson has a shot at playing as a true freshman.

Gray is the slot guy unless Mullen's just wants to be stubborn.

We all better hope that Rankin wins the LT spot.

We need a TE to step up other than Walley. I have no idea who that will be. I'm hoping Dontea Jones.

S: Depends if Cleveland is moving to S. If he stays at CB, our top 3 safties are Coman, Bryant and Peters. Though I know the coaches will keep Market and Evans in the mix.

Does Aeris Williams lack the explosiveness we need at RB?

HoopsDawg
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

IMO, Yes. He runs a lot like Shump.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 02:54 PM

Thank you!

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM

No, he's shifty but a down hill runner as well.

IMO, Yes. He runs a lot like Shump.

He's a down hill runner like Shump but Aeris can make you miss a lot better than Shump.

DancingRabbit
02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
A very real possibility.. I bet Staley ends up basketball only or transferring out after next year.. Fitz is the guy and Tiano is a great fit for the system.

With the OSU story to point out, hopefully Dan and Mama Mullen can keep him happy.

HancockCountyDog
02-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Personally, Im excited to see what our front seven looks like; I think Jefferson and Brown will be the DE's. I think Jones and Adams will be the DT's.

Beni, Richie, and Green will be the starters. Im guessing on Green - Im guessing it will be between him and Zach Jackson, and I guess Dez Harris. That is a straight guess.

In the secondary, if Market is healthy - my money is on him being the starter. Coman probably packing him up. I can't see Bryant and especially Peters being kept off the field, but I know CDM likes experience. I have a feeling the starters in game 1 and game 4 will be drastically different.

HSVDawg
02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Considering Staley has about 18 months before he has to be the starter, its way too early to say anything about who will be the starter in 2016.

He could be 18 months away from competing to be the starter and he could be only 6-8 months away. Injuries happen and senior QB's at MSU especially don't seem to be spared very often in that regard. His redshirt is off and he needs to be ready to play or possibly start on September 5th if he is all that Mullen and our fans have tried to hype him up to be. If he's still 3rd string or worse at that time then I fear he's probably gonna get lost in the shuffle.

Quaoarsking
02-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Any chance Staley or Fitzgerald wind up changing positions? Probably not this year but one of them probably will see the writing on the wall by 2017.

I think I remember seeing an interview with Fitz about a year ago saying he would be willing to switch to WR if he doesn't ultimately win the QB job.

Coach34
02-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Gerri Green is not going to start at LB- he will back up one of the Browns. He cant play the Wells role. Has to be more of a hybrid-type

We will not play a true Freshman at RB this Fall

dickiedawg
02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I just want to see both Browns, gray and green on the field at the same time.

MSUDawg4Life
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
I just want to see both Browns, gray and green on the field at the same time.

Why? Who is going to play WLB?

msstate7
02-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Why? Who is going to play WLB?

Think he just like all the colors

MSUDawg4Life
02-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Think he just like all the colors

Ah! Got me. I thought he was serious.

Rayburn8
02-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Fitz will be Daks replacement after next year... Its all a question when Damien gets his feelings hurt

Don't say that just yet. Staley was getting more first team snaps then Fitz in bowl practices before injury. Even though Fitz had a half year on him.

Scources: Paul Jones-24/7

msstate7
02-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Don't say that just yet. Staley was getting more first team snaps then Fitz in bowl practices before injury. Even thigh Fitz had a half year on him.

Scources: Paul Jones-24/7

Wasn't fitz playing like thomas (GT's qb) a lot of bowl practice time?

Rayburn8
02-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Jones just said Staley had surpassed Fitz before he got hurt and was taking more snaps.

Coach34
02-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Per our staff:

Staley has the most talent and upside...needs to get tougher

Fitz- gritty and raw. Love the toughness.

But Staley was ahead of Fitz before his injury as Jones said

msstate7
02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
So staley was ahead of fitz, but weren't both behind Williams? Are we sleeping on Williams?

Covercorner2
02-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Like someone said earlier, I think Williams is the "#2" and will come in at garbage time and if we needed him in a pinch, but if Dak were to ever go down for an extended time, we would turn to one of the RS freshmen.

Coach34
02-06-2015, 09:43 AM
So staley was ahead of fitz, but weren't both behind Williams? Are we sleeping on Williams?

We decided to RS both unless there was an emergency- so Williams had the back-up job by default

msstate7
02-06-2015, 10:14 AM
We decided to RS both unless there was an emergency- so Williams had the back-up job by default

I was talking about bowl practice. Did staley pass Williams in bowl practice?

smootness
02-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Gerri Green is not going to start at LB- he will back up one of the Browns. He cant play the Wells role. Has to be more of a hybrid-type

I disagree with this. Green may not start, but I don't think he's automatically out because he can't play that spot. Collins' defense is the one that called for a specific type of LB in the Wells role. And there are very few guys who fit it as perfectly as Wells, so we weren't going to be able to do the same things there with Wells gone anyway.

Green has tons of speed for a guy that size. Jung may end up starting there, but I don't think he has more speed than Green does. We don't really know exactly what Diaz wants to do there yet, so I could definitely see both Browns and Green all playing at the same time.

HancockCountyDog
02-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I disagree with this. Green may not start, but I don't think he's automatically out because he can't play that spot. Collins' defense is the one that called for a specific type of LB in the Wells role. And there are very few guys who fit it as perfectly as Wells, so we weren't going to be able to do the same things there with Wells gone anyway.

Green has tons of speed for a guy that size. Jung may end up starting there, but I don't think he has more speed than Green does. We don't really know exactly what Diaz wants to do there yet, so I could definitely see both Browns and Green all playing at the same time.

I keep hearing that Green may end up at DE or some type of hybrid DE/OLB spot. He has good speed for an OLB, but he may simply out grow the spot. I think he could be hell on wheels at DE.

maroonmania
02-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I keep hearing that Green may end up at DE or some type of hybrid DE/OLB spot. He has good speed for an OLB, but he may simply out grow the spot. I think he could be hell on wheels at DE.

Sure wouldn't hurt. Outside of Brown and Jefferson we don't have anybody else at DE with playing experience. We have JUCOs Coleman and Calvin but I'm not sure what to expect out of them.

msstate7
02-06-2015, 12:02 PM

In diaz's defense don't the de's stand and move at the line a lot?

Sacrifice
02-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Williams and Fitz will have a hard time keeping Staley at bay..This guy is a athletic freak with a live arm and a beautiful throwing motion..If he would've finished his SR season, I thought he would've been a high 4* prospect...All I'm concerned about is will he have his head on straight..With the stuff that happened with his HS coach and watching The SEC coaches wives show and hearing CDM talk about him quitting has me a little concerned...

Coach34
02-06-2015, 02:01 PM

You can disagree all you want- but we arent going to have a 240pound LB trying to cover slot WR's from A&M, Fredo, Auburn, etc...Green couldnt cover Myles or Gray- thats a bad match-up. Green will be an ILB

smootness
02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
You can disagree all you want- but we arent going to have a 240pound LB trying to cover slot WR's from A&M, Fredo, Auburn, etc...Green couldnt cover Myles or Gray- thats a bad match-up. Green will be an ILB

I didn't say he could cover slot WRs. We don't know exactly what Diaz is going to do with the defense. I just said he can play OLB, and he absolutely can. Look at the OLBs in the NFL; do you ask many of them to cover guys like DeSean Jackson? No.

I'm not sure how much slower Green is than Wells, but it's not a lot.

Coach34
02-06-2015, 03:16 PM
I didn't say he could cover slot WRs. We don't know exactly what Diaz is going to do with the defense. I just said he can play OLB, and he absolutely can. Look at the OLBs in the NFL; do you ask many of them to cover guys like DeSean Jackson? No.

I'm not sure how much slower Green is than Wells, but it's not a lot.

Matthew Wells was the fastest player on our team- so yes- alot. His nickname is "Cheetah". That should tell you enough.

I do know Diaz's defense- the 3rd LB has to bump out and cover slot WR's alot. Gerri Green is not that guy to do that. I'm telling you right now- Green is going to be 1B unless he beats out Richie. And I dont see that happening- especially early on. It's not a knock on Green- he is going to be outstanding- its testament to our talent level.

Covercorner2
02-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Matthew Wells was the fastest player on our team- so yes- alot. His nickname is "Cheetah". That should tell you enough.

I do know Diaz's defense- the 3rd LB has to bump out and cover slot WR's alot. Gerri Green is not that guy to do that. I'm telling you right now- Green is going to be 1B unless he beats out Richie. And I dont see that happening- especially early on. It's not a knock on Green- he is going to be outstanding- its testament to our talent level.

Can Richie Brown not play the Wells role? He's the smaller, faster player out of B. Brown and Green.

Here's what makes the most sense to me, and maybe I'm way off base, but hear me out:

Middle LB: B. Brown/Lewis. Puts your most cerebral (B Brown) and prototypical MLBs at that position

Wells role/weak side OLB: Richie Brown/Jung/Jackson/Gray: Puts your "smaller," faster players at that spot for coverage. Also provides the most depth at the position that probably runs the most

Not the wells role/strong side OLB: Green/Harris. Puts your biggest, longest, "slowest" guys, yet best pass rushers and run stoppers at that position.

Now, obviously if one of the starters goes down, then Leo doesn't slide in as a starter and it could be either Richie/Bennie/Green at MLB. But barring no injuries he can be the backup at MLB.

This also puts your best players (IMO) , Browns and Green, on the field at the same time

cheewgumm
02-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Whatt type of D does Manny play? What is the difference from what we play now? Only thing I rememeber is it seemed like more blitZing back then.

Coach34
02-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Thats a good post and a possibility. But I'm not sure I want Richie Brown covering Slot WR's either. I do agree he would be better than Green though. That 3rd LB position in today's 4-3 D against Spread offenses has to be a hybrid- SS type of guy. The 4-3 Defense today is having to morph into a 4-2-5 to be able to play against Spread offenses.

smootness
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Green was considered a freak athletically and to have great speed for a guy that size coming out. There's no way Richie Brown is faster than he is.

msstate7
02-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Green was considered a freak athletically and to have great speed for a guy that size coming out. There's no way Richie Brown is faster than he is.

That athletism is why I want him coming off the edge after qb's.

Coach34
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Ok- this is the only other way I can explain this:

Green is closer to becoming a DE than he is a hybrid LB'er...Green is alot like McKinney- and one of the knocks on him is pass coverage.

Raytoraid83
02-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Listening to Mullen talk about Peters I think he'll be in the Wells roll next year. Wouldn't be surprised if we use him a lot like lsu did Jamal Adams though.

chef dixon
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Listening to Mullen talk about Peters I think he'll be in the Wells roll next year. Wouldn't be surprised if we use him a lot like lsu did Jamal Adams though.

I think it would be a huge mistake to not use Peters as a safety

Hotdawg66
02-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Fitz will be the backup heading into fall. Staley took more first team snaps because fitz was playing scout team QB to simulate Ga Tech option.

SheltonChoked
02-07-2015, 09:51 AM
This makes sense based on what the players said. The fact that he is mentioned by departing SR players as a true Fr fits with the toughness.