PDA

View Full Version : WRs in this class...

maroonmania
02-04-2015, 03:01 PM
It does seem we are missing an outside WR speed threat in the class. Most of the speed guys (Gray, Mixon, Thomas) are all slot guys. On the outside it looks like Dontae Jones is likely going to have to move to TE at his size and Johnson is more of a possession guy from my understanding. Seems like we will need a couple of these next year as Wilson, Morrow, Ross and Brown all are JRs and SRs.

edit to add: Is Spivey slated to be a WR?

HoopsDawg
02-04-2015, 03:03 PM
It does seem we are missing an outside WR speed threat in the class. Most of the speed guys (Gray, Mixon, Thomas) are all slot guys. On the outside it looks like Dontae Jones is likely going to have to move to TE at his size and Johnson is more of a possession guy from my understanding. Seems like we will need a couple of these next year as Wilson, Morrow, Ross and Brown all are JRs and SRs.

Need to get AJ Brown out of Starkville.

Todd4State
02-04-2015, 03:08 PM
I know I am in the minority, but I think Jones ends up at WR. I know he is big, but so is Bear, who I thought would be a TE on NSD.

HoopsDawg
02-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I know I am in the minority, but I think Jones ends up at WR. I know he is big, but so is Bear, who I thought would be a TE on NSD.

Not only are you in the minority, you are alone on an island. Jones is going to play the Malcolm Johnson role for us. He's a hybrid TE all the way.

maroonmania
02-04-2015, 03:11 PM

The Maroon State of Mind blog has him as being bulked up to 260 already but maybe that is inaccurate.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Dontea will be & has been a TE for about 3 months now. He's going to play at around 245-250lbs. He's that big time TE that we've been talking about.

smootness
02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I think Spivey is expected to be a WR as of now, and we have Jesse Jackson from last year's class as well. They're both a little on the smaller size but certainly not too small. I think next year's in-state WR class is going to be really good, though OM is obviously going to get Metcalf.

RealHastings
02-04-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm going with Dan (Ifyouonlyknew) on this one, Jones is a TE all the way.

EAVdog
02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Justin Johnson says hello. Also Shelby Christy says 'don't forget about me'.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Shelby is at 225lbs & is playing a flex TE role too.

defiantdog
02-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Shelby Christy has been moved to the Malcolm Johnson role. Justin Johnson will play WR, and he blocks like Martinas Rankin. He also understands route running better than anyone we've signed since Mullen has been a coach. To compare him, he has the agility and speed of Fred Ross with the power of Ashton Shumpert.

msstate7
02-04-2015, 03:44 PM
When will we add pierce to our team?

engie
02-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Don't have to be big to play outside at times... If Holloway had hands, he'd have quite a few TDs in 2013...

Nobody keeping Mixon in front of them regardless of where he lines up...

smootness
02-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Christy is now a TE, too, along with Hammond? How many TEs are we going to have?

Walley
Hutcherson
Hammond
Christy
Dontea Jones
Green
Rashun Dixon
Ravian Pierce?

6'4" 225 seems like pretty nice size for a big outside WR to me, wish we could keep Christy there.

MabenMaroon
02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Don't have to be big to play outside at times... If Holloway had hands, he'd have quite a few TDs in 2013...

That should prove to be the absolute truth, he could be a big time play maker.

Covercorner2
02-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Mullen just mentioned Peters as being "electric" and may try to find a way to get the ball in his hands on offense. I know its hard to play both ways, especially in the SEC, but he fits the mold of an "outside speed threat." Also, Mullen mentioned he could step in right now and be in the two-deep at safety, so it looks like we plan on him playing safety for those who want him at OLB....

defiantdog
02-04-2015, 04:26 PM

Mixon is gonna be an ankle breaker..... but don't forget about Deddrick Thomas. He'd be a 4* if he was on a better team and didn't play qb.

smootness
02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I think we definitely need to keep Peters at S and Washington at OLB. Those are their natural positions; just keep Peters' weight in a good place. Under Balis, Peters would probably be 240 pretty quickly. I think Court will keep him around 210-220.

defiantdog
02-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Looks like Mullen wants to keep Jones at WR..... he compared him to Bear Wilson in his conference.

MabenMaroon
02-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Coach Mullen just said in his presser that Dontae is a couple of biscuits away from being a tackle. Says each time he has visited he has gotten larger, don't know if that is god thing or a bad thing.

defiantdog
02-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Coach Mullen just said in his presser that Dontae is a couple of biscuits away from being a tackle. Says each time he has visited he has gotten larger, don't know if that is god thing or a bad thing.

It doesn't matter..... just like Dear, the strength team will correct any weight issues.

Sacrifice
02-04-2015, 04:50 PM
I saw Dear at academy sports about 2 weeks ago..Looks like he's already dropped some LBs..Man if Dear can get down to his JR weight, he'll be something special...Marshall Faulk type back.

jumbo
02-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I saw Dear at academy sports about 2 weeks ago..Looks like he's already dropped some LBs..Man if Dear can get down to his JR weight, he'll be something special...Marshall Faulk type back.

I see him redshirting and coming out as a beast in 2016.

maroonmania
02-04-2015, 05:07 PM

Well its very bad if you want to keep him at WR.

maroonmania
02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Christy is now a TE, too, along with Hammond? How many TEs are we going to have?

Walley
Hutcherson
Hammond
Christy
Dontea Jones
Green
Rashun Dixon
Ravian Pierce?

6'4" 225 seems like pretty nice size for a big outside WR to me, wish we could keep Christy there.

It does seem like we are overloaded with "TE types" and "Slot types". One or two of the natural slot guys may need to play on the outside some.