PDA

View Full Version : MSU and UCLA "Interesting Stats" Thread....

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I am bored, so I will be pulling up some stats and posting them in this thread throughout the day today and tomorrow. Feel free to add your own or add comments to these. Some may be relevant, some maybe not.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Since Regional play started, Mississippi State has only 2 every day starters that are hitting below .324 in the NCaA tourney....yes, .324! The only two below that are Bradford at .176 and Ammo at .100. Sam Frost and Derrick Armstrong are also below that mark, with Frost at .167 and Armstrong at .250. Trey Porter is hitting .333 off the bench as well.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Since Super Regional play began, MSU is averaging 12 hits per game. Their lowest performance during that stretch was the CWS Game 1 win against OSU where the Bulldogs had only 8 hits

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 03:22 PM
With two good staffs going at it, there is a good chance for low scoring and even possibly 1 run affairs. This stat doesn't mean much to me, but MSU is 15-3 in 1 run games this season, and have won their last 10.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Ross Mitchell has a 0.00 ERA through 9 games in the NcAA Tournament. He has made 4 appearances, pitched 14.1 innings, and given up 0 runs. Girodo is second in postseason ERA, while Holder, Graveman, and Fitts are next in line. Pollo and Gentry have the highest ERa's in NCAA tourney play.

These^ ERA's are based on more than one appearance. Bracewell and Cox are both sporting 0.00 ERA's as well, but in only 1 appearance for each.

Hard to believe we have made this run and Bracewell as only had one appearance and 2.1 innings pitched. It seems we have been saving him for emergency Elimination game starting role.

msstate7
06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have the right-left breakdown of ucla's lineup?

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:30 PM
CF Carroll R
3B Kramer L
RF Filia L
SS Valaika R
1B Gallagher L
DH Williams L
C Zeile R
2B Regis L
LF Allen L

This is their lineup in the last game vs UNC. Lot of lefty's

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:32 PM
They pinch hit Bono, who is also a lefty

msstate7
06-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Carroll R
Kramer L
Filla L
Valaika R
Gallagher L
Williams L
Zeile R
Regis L
Allen L

This is their lineup in the last game vs UNC. Lot of lefty's

Girodo could have huge game.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Yea I expect we'll see a lot of Girodo, Ross, and probably even Lindgren and Pollo if it goes 3 games. We also have CT out there.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Oh, and that was their lineup against a LHP for UNC.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:47 PM
UCLA has scored 301 runs this season in 64 games. Only averaging 4.7 runs per game.

MSU is averaging 6 runs per game through 69 games.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
UCLA gives up an average of 3 runs per game. MSU gives up an average of 3.5 runs per game

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Plutko has K'd 79 and walked 29 in 118 innings pitched. He has also given up 88 hits in those 118 innings.

That means he is averaging 6 K's per 9, 2.25 BB's per 9, and nearly 7 hits per 9.

I seen it dawg
06-22-2013, 05:00 PM
We are going to work these ****ers. We will win in 2 and comfortably.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Pluto has hit 8 batters on the year. That's not a ton, but I guarantee HBP will be a stat to watch as Plutko tries to establish that inside corner. So far, our players standing on the plate has greatly effected Virginia and Oregon State's pitchers' ability to establish that inside corner.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
UCLA's typical Friday-Sunday rotation is...

Plutko RHP
Vander Tuig RHP
Watson LHP

We will not see Watson until at least Game 3 due to him pitching last night I would think anyway, so we will be facing Right Handers that are very similar to Andrew Moore of Oregon State, but not as good of overall records or ERa's while playing in the same Conference.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Looking at similar foes...

UCLA lost 2 of 3 at home to Oregon State this year. However, Plutko won game 1 pitching 7 innings of two hit ball, walking 3 and striking out 6.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:18 PM
In Game 2 of that series against OSU, Andrew Moore blanked them in the Win, and pitched 6.2 innings giving up 0 runs, 3 walks, and 5 K's.

Side note: Moore struck out zero against MSU yesterday.

Vander Tuig pitched a decent game, pitching 6.2 innings, but gave up 7 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, and 6 K's.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Now for the Biggest stat of the series in my opinion....

In 69 games, MSU has committed 78 errors, which is over 1 per game.
UCLA has only committed 50 errors in 64 games, which is obviously less than 1 per game.

I have beaten this point into the ground, but it rings more true than ever in this series...If we make errors we will lose this series. I would almost be willing to bet you that the team with less walks and less errors at the end of the series is the Champ. This UCLA team makes you pay for mistakes, much like UCA, but not quite as aggressively on the base paths. We will have to field it well to win.

I would like to see Cohen even tell the team not to risk anything. If a pitcher is fielding a bunt and has to make an off balance throw....eat it and live to see the next pitch. If a 3rd baseman is having to charge and throw on the run to even have a chance at a close play...eat it. This UCLA team can not hit the ball well at all, they only score off of walks and errors for the most part. If we make them beat us with their bats, we will be Champs.

I seen it dawg
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
We are going to work these ****ers. We will win in 2 and comfortably.

Again

CadaverDawg
06-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Also, this team likes to sac bunt with the leadoff man on base. The thing is, they rarely get hits, so unless we put a guy on with a walk, they will not have a lot of leadoff guys on base. It is crucial for our pitchers to focus on the leadoff guy of each inning.

They have only turned 38 double plays as a team as well, so there is no sense in us running ourselves out of innings if we get men on base. They will give up hits, and they walk people, so we can have success as long as we don't run in to outs at 3rd and get runners thrown out at the plate and shit.

In other words..... If we do the little things right, we should win this series.

Bully13
06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Also, this team likes to sac bunt with the leadoff man on base. The thing is, they rarely get hits, so unless we put a guy on with a walk, they will not have a lot of leadoff guys on base. It is crucial for our pitchers to focus on the leadoff guy of each inning.

They have only turned 38 double plays as a team as well, so there is no sense in us running ourselves out of innings if we get men on base. They will give up hits, and they walk people, so we can have success as long as we don't run in to outs at 3rd and get runners thrown out at the plate and shit.

In other words..... If we do the little things right, we should win this series.

earlier in the year, this UCLA team would have scared the shit out of me. Just based on our ineptitude to handle quality pitching. Intense Bastard has his team playing lights out in the post season as usual which makes me less worried about their pitching. Hitting is something that baseball teams have the ability to improve on and get hot at the right times. Pitching not so much. With pitching, you either got it or you don't and that just doesn't seem to improve near as much as the ability for hitting to improve. I think our bats can give their pitching enough problems to overcome any error sickness if we catch that particular bug. Getting nervous about what's at stake is the only thing I'm worried about at this point. If we can handle that, which I think we can, we'll get the ring. The only way we lose is if we backslide to the mentality that plagued us earlier. If we bring what we've brought since post season, the ring is ours for the taking. I'm not predicting blowouts. That just ain't gonna happen. Close MSU victories. 2 straight.

Todd4State
06-22-2013, 11:31 PM
This is simple:

1. Maintain our line drive approach on offense. This is why LSU and North Carolina aren't here- too many lazy fly balls. Their pitchers like to live up in the strike zone.

2. Watch their defensive positioning- they scout teams well. We may have to go against their positioning if they give us some big holes.

3. Play solid defense.

4. Overpower their hitters whenever possible. That means Girodo, Holder, etc. Power arms- in this case meaning striking out a lot of their hitters is not what any small ball team wants to see.

5. Keep having fun out there!

FlabLoser
06-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Too lazy to post the pic that Bonner tweeted. CWS stats for us and them.

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/348301645219766273.

They don't hit for shit, but made a living in pitching and defense.

MSUDawg4Life
06-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I think it's going to come down to errors. The team that makes errors will lose.

If we can just keep doing what we've been doing and play solid defense, I think we win this series and a national championship.

Coach34
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm with Seen It- we gonna work these ****ers

We are playing so very well right now and are the epitome of "hot at the right time"

Will James
06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
We are playing in a Dudy Noble style park with what will be a Dudy Noble style crowd. This is a home game. Hopefully a stadium wide roll call will **** with the young Bruins. They ain't ever had an atmosphere like what will transpire this week. I hope we leave Omaha with a Maroon Flood of we came we saw we conquered. Our teams attitude and hopefully a mass of fans should set themselves at the top of Omaha lore this weeken. 50 years from now if a team has a big turnout it should immediately be met with "Well remember Mississippi State in 2013"

FlabLoser
06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
They pitch a little better than us and we hit a hell of a lot better than them.

Monday we win 2-0.

Tuesday we win 3-1.

National ****ing champions!

CadaverDawg
06-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Just saw on twitter that UCLA has lost 17 games, and of those 17 games the other team scored 4 runs or more in 16 of them. Looks like as always, our magic number needs to be 4-5 runs per game.