PDA

View Full Version : RHP/1B Cole Gordon is a beast.

MsStateBaseball
02-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Remember this, he will be a great player. I see him leaving after junior year. 6-6 240. His pitching stats are pretty good considering he is facing college hitters after not pitching his senior year. And as a LH batter he hits the ball hard. He was rated a generic 500 by PG but I'm thinking much higher if he was healthy. He is a star in the making.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Remember this, he will be a great player. I see him leaving after junior year. 6-6 240. His pitching stats are pretty good considering he is facing college hitters after not pitching his senior year. And as a LH batter he hits the ball hard. He was rated a generic 500 by PG but I'm thinking much higher if he was healthy. He is a star in the making.

Maybe he will play 1B against righties?

engie
02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
He has potential to be a both ways guy for sure... As much as anyone we've had in awhile IMO...

MsStateBaseball
02-03-2015, 08:50 PM
He has struck out over 10 in 8 or so innings. He could be the mid week starter. Then a reliever in SEC play.

Homedawg
02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
He and stover are potential mid week guys. He has really come on velocity wise since the fall. 18 months after tommy john now. Butch really likes him

Smitty
02-03-2015, 09:37 PM
And I get questioned for not anointing Rea as starter and 5 hole hitter

messageboardsuperhero
02-03-2015, 09:38 PM
He and stover are potential mid week guys. He has really come on velocity wise since the fall. 18 months after tommy john now. Butch really likes him

Last I saw, he was high 80s and still rising after being only low-to-mid 80s in the fall. Gordon is coming back strong from TJ, and it's just now starting to show.

Ralph
02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
I can't wait for baseball season. Excited about this team.

GTHOM
02-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Is Cohen gonna let him play both?

Todd4State
02-03-2015, 10:33 PM

You would have gotten credit if you had anointied Cole Gordon as the first baseman, but you chose Daniel Garner.

Todd4State
02-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Is Cohen gonna let him play both?

As of now, yes. Unless Rea struggles again I think Gordon will be in the mix at DH and will play about like Humphreys last year.

GTHOM
02-03-2015, 10:37 PM
As of now, yes. Unless Rea struggles again I think Gordon will be in the mix at DH and will play about like Humphreys last year.

speaking of humphreys, Ive heard nothing but hype about him for this year. Power hitter??

engie
02-03-2015, 10:39 PM
speaking of humphreys, Ive heard nothing but hype about him for this year. Power hitter??
Renfroe-level power potential. With way better baseballs to hit...
Not saying he achieves on that level this year. He's a bit behind after missing an important summer with injury. But that's his potential...

GTHOM
02-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Renfroe-level power potential. With way better baseballs to hit...

that is pretty high praise my man, i saw him play in high school and thought he was gonna be the truth

Todd4State
02-03-2015, 10:52 PM

Yes. Probably our best power guy on the team right now.

GTHOM
02-03-2015, 10:55 PM
I hope he produces. We could be very dangerous at the plate with him, Collins, Rea, to name just a few

engie
02-03-2015, 11:02 PM
I hope he produces. We could be very dangerous at the plate with him, Collins, Rea, to name just a few

Holland
Smith
Rooker/Swinarski/Cody Brown

All power guys compared to what we've had the last couple of years. I dunno why, but I have a feeling Holland and Collins are going to light the world on fire...

GTHOM
02-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Holland
Smith
Rooker/Swinarski/Cody Brown

All power guys compared to what we've had the last couple of years. I dunno why, but I have a feeling Holland and Collins are going to light the world on fire...

I agree, Collins showed how good he can be last year and he was just getting started. Im high on Brown too. Vickerson is a good hitter too

engie
02-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Other than what Todd already said(the old argument), the problem I had was you anointing Rea for the 8-hole. The part you were apparently missing in our argument on that was the point that if Rea is having a bad enough season that he needs to hit in the 8-hole, he needs to be on the bench. There's no in between for that in my opinion. Too many other decent options now for us to continually run him out there if he struggles badly...

War Machine Dawg
02-04-2015, 12:54 AM
All of you counting on Rea are nuts. He's Casey Kotchman in an Adam Dunn body. Except Kotchman at least hit for average.

And I'm far from sold the new balls are going to be some magical cure for offense.

engie
02-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Who called anything a "magical cure"?

The guys we've recruited now are different types of players than we had before. The difference in the homerun distance of the new ball is simple, proven, established, and well-researched math. I dunno why people feel the need to argue against that in order to "doubt that it's going to make a massive difference in college baseball." Did you doubt there'd be a dropoff with the BBCOR in the first place?

Smitty
02-04-2015, 07:30 AM
I do think other teams HR totals will go up more than ours because of the Dude being fairly large. That's okay though because when they play here it will even out likewise when we go on the road.

I just want to see real baseball played. Especially in Omaha.

engie
02-04-2015, 08:15 AM
agreed on all that...

Just something about hitting in that park. If you can hit it out of there in February, you can hit it out of just about any park in the country any month of the year. Sans TD Ameritrade...

shoeless joe
02-04-2015, 08:34 AM

This is a key point when some are counting on certain TJ guys for this season. It takes between 12-18 months to be back 100%. And that's usually a lot closer to 18.