PDA

View Full Version : Coaches comments on the early enrollee guys.

Leroy Jenkins
02-03-2015, 04:49 PM
From hailstatebeat.wordpress.com

Malik Dear ? RB/WR, 5-9, 226 pounds. Jackson, Miss. (Murrah High School)

Billy Gonzales says: ?He?ll be back and forth with me and [running backs] Coach Knox. He?s a kid that came to camp and I had a chance to evaluate in person. When you look at him, you see how thick he is, but how smooth he is. He was one of the faster guys I ever timed here at camp. Unbelievably soft hands, can accelerate, top-end speed, with quickness where he?s able to plant and get north and south without losing speed. Those are all the attributes that you?re looking at with him.?

Greg Knox says: ?A very dynamic player. Good speed, good agility. Very explosive out in the open field, can make plays. Good hands, good route-runner. Kind of an all-around athlete.?

Donald Gray ? WR, 5-9, 185 pounds. Memphis, Tenn. (Copiah-Lincoln Community College)

Billy Gonzales says: ?Donald is another explosive athlete. If you talk to some of the players already on campus, our strength coach, he?s explosive and has a great work ethic. He has a desire to be great. He made some big plays and had some big games in his junior college career and we?re excited about him.?

Johnathan Calvin ? DL, 6-4, 250 pounds. Jackson, Miss. (Copiah-Lincoln Community College)

David Turner says: ?He?s jumped in and got himself acclimated. Guys have been telling me he does a great job with drills. Every year, if you look at what we?ve done here, we?ve kind of had to take a junior college guy to fill a need, and he?s the next one in the bunch.?

?He?s a blue-collar guy, just a hard worker. I had a chance to see him as a high school player and kept up with him as he?s gotten bigger and stronger. Coaches rave about him at Co-Lin. Really glad to have him. He?s another young man that really had a lot of people recruiting him and he chose Mississippi State. He?s a Mississippi kid, got a lot of people here that he knows. I think we?ll be able to plug him right in. If you look at the need right now with Preston Smith leaving, there?s a void right there. There?s going to be a bunch of guys competing for that position and I expect him to be one of them.?

Deddrick Thomas ? WR, 5-9, 170 pounds. Memphis, Tenn. (Memphis Central High School)

Billy Gonzales says: ?Deddrick is a start-and-stop guy. He came to Big Dawg Camp and showed up, was really impressive. He?s got slot attributes, but he?s got receiver abilities to be an outside receiver, too. Extremely excited about him.?

Martinas Rankin ? OL, 6-5, 300 pounds. Mendenhall, Miss. (Miss. Gulf Coast Community College)

John Hevesy says: ?The top-rated JUCO offensive tackle in the country. Great kid, great family. He fills a spot we need at tackle. He can come in and contribute and play. He?s athletic. Size-wise, everything I?m looking for.?

Michael Story ? OL, 6-4, 290 pounds. Ripley, Miss. (Ripley High School)

John Hevesy says: ?Athletic kid. Graduated high school early. Had him at camp and you saw the athletic ability. Really, he?s got the ability to play all three positions ? tackle, guard or center. We?ll see as his future goes on what he brings to the table. He?s very athletic, very strong, very intelligent kid. Played the North-South All-Star game in Mississippi and coaches had great things to say about his work ethic. He has everything we look for in a lineman.?