PDA

View Full Version : I realize nothing is certain until signing day, but, has CDM figured out recruiting?

IMissJack
02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
In year 6? I'm sure the positive press we had most of the fall certainly helped.

Coach34
02-03-2015, 02:45 PM
We were ranked #1 for 5 weeks this year- I think he figured it out long before now

engie
02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
He has certainly figured out winning the press conference to an extent. That was obvious in the way we orchestrated "winning" Big Dawg Camp and took all the early commitments this year.

maroonmania
02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Well, recruiting in MS is its own unique animal and CDM is light years ahead in getting that figured out from where he was when he started for sure.

MSUDawg4Life
02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to "figure out recruiting". Especially here in Mississippi. It's always evolving.

We are surrounded by some strong competitors and you can bet OM will come up with some new bullshit that we'll have to deal with next year.

It is a good sign to see that Mullen can adapt to the environment while focusing on what we need to build our program. But, I don't think we'll ever get to a point where we can feel that we have it all figured out

HoopsDawg
02-03-2015, 02:50 PM
In year 6? I'm sure the positive press we had most of the fall certainly helped.

He has figured out what works best for Miss State. We will never have a Top 10 class under Mullen, but hopefully he can start pumping out Top 20 classes every year and continue to find overlooked guys like Banks, McKinney, and Preston Smith. This year, the 3 big sleepers imo are Dontea Jones, Keith Joseph, and Chris Stamps.

Reason2succeed
02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Or maybe, just maybe Ole Miss' and Hugh Freeze's BS is catching up to them. We are putting guys in the league who were unranked while their five star guys are flopping Tunsil style and worse. HS and 7on7 coaches have to see the trend and they want their kids to make it all the way not only for the kids' benefit but also for their own. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

IMissJack
02-03-2015, 03:00 PM
He has certainly figured out winning the press conference to an extent. That was obvious in the way we orchestrated "winning" Big Dawg Camp and took all the early commitments this year.

Yes engie, that is what I meant. Coach you are right too. I mean, it just seems like we have changed our approach and Mullen has learned a lot too.

codeDawg
02-03-2015, 04:05 PM
I think Dan figured out a while back that we have to compete on our terms in order to be successful. Trying to out Ole Miss, Ole Miss will never work. We just need to be the best version of MSU we can be.

codeDawg
02-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Or maybe, just maybe Ole Miss' and Hugh Freeze's BS is catching up to them. We are putting guys in the league who were unranked while their five star guys are flopping Tunsil style and worse. HS and 7on7 coaches have to see the trend and they want their kids to make it all the way not only for the kids' benefit but also for their own. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Their style is high risk, high reward. They are pulling in a handful of very talented guys and relying on them to win games. If they don't get those guys, they are in big trouble. Don't get them a couple of years in a row, and it's going to get ugly.

Our approach is to build depth and develop players in a system. Even when we lack the top-end talent, we should be good enough to go bowling on experienced play alone. When we combine the depth with some top end talent, we are #1 in the country for a few weeks.

Bothrops
02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
It can be figured out, but it's a silly and punk ass game. The worst thing about it is, you have to play along. With all the serious shit going on in the world, and with people volunteering to serve our country, this type of stuff really wreaks. To me at least.

Having said that, I'm most impressed with our group. They have remained true and are great examples to follow.

Jack Lambert
02-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I just think winning, Dak, Mullen being on ESPN so much last season, the atmosphere in the stadium is what changing it. I don't think mullen has changed I just think he got a good product backing up what he is preaching to them.

maroonmania
02-03-2015, 05:00 PM
I just think winning, Dak, Mullen being on ESPN so much last season, the atmosphere in the stadium is what changing it. I don't think mullen has changed I just think he got a good product backing up what he is preaching to them.

Yea, that's a big part of it but we took some hard knocks in our recruiting class in Mullen's early years (2010 being the worst) and Mullen learned some lessons. Sure, we can still lose a kid to a decommitment occasionally even now but we have a lot better track record at this point of keeping the ones we really want.

Really Clark?
02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Yea, that's a big part of it but we took some hard knocks in our recruiting class in Mullen's early years (2010 being the worst) and Mullen learned some lessons. Sure, we can still lose a kid to a decommitment occasionally even now but we have a lot better track record at this point of keeping the ones we really want.

Have you looked at how many great players we have had from that 2010 class?

codeDawg
02-03-2015, 05:15 PM
It can be figured out, but it's a silly and punk ass game. The worst thing about it is, you have to play along. With all the serious shit going on in the world, and with people volunteering to serve our country, this type of stuff really wreaks. To me at least.

Having said that, I'm most impressed with our group. They have remained true and are great examples to follow.

It's the nature of a system where there is so much money involved and so much regulation. It's bound to get nasty.

Coach34
02-03-2015, 05:53 PM
2010 the worst?

Ben Beckwith- 1st team All-SEC
Matthew Wells- NFL-bound
Jameon Lewis- solid SEC WR
Kaleb Eulls- solid SEC DT
Dillon Day- played in an All-Star game and will be in an NFL camp
Blaine Clausell- played in an All-Star game and will be in an NFL camp
Vick Ballard- NFL RB
Malcolm Johnson- Solid SEC TE
Robert Johnson- 2 year starter
Christian Holmes- solid player
Nick Griffin- struggled with injuries but could have been really good

trob115
02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
2010 the worst?

Matthew Wells- NFL-bound
Vick Ballard- NFL RB

Eulls will be drafted too.

engie
02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
2009 was better, 2011 will be better, and the next 2 after that were much higher rated...

So, yeah, at this point I think 2010 has been our worst class under Mullen. Which makes it all the more hilarious that the talking heads expect us to fall off a cliff now that it's gone. Wells is the only guy from that class that I find semi-irreplaceable...

Spiderman
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM

You really think Tunsil is a flop?

Todd4State
02-03-2015, 07:27 PM
You really think Tunsil is a flop?

He had obvious NFL talent from a physical standpoint. I do question his attitude- such as pulling himself out of games to not risk injury and things like that. I get the impression that the only thing he cares about is money.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-03-2015, 10:06 PM
As far as Mullen figuring out recruiting, and here I'm talking about strictly recruiting against Ole Miss, let me ask you this...

Can anyone say for certain that he hasn't "played" Ole Miss himself these last few years? We all remember the shenanigan's his first couple of years and them raiding our recruits while we were off at the Gator Bowl, etc. Think back a couple of years ago and Chris Jones's recruitment. Whose to say his trips to Ole Miss those last couple of weekends weren't orchestrated by Mullen to get intel. Ole Miss did everything they could last year to get in with 2-3 of our guys the last few weeks with no luck at all. If Leo signs with the good guys tomorrow, who can say for certain that his whole recruitment wasn't mapped out in July of last year. Likely? Probably not. Possible? Only Dan knows for certain....

Barking 13
02-03-2015, 10:11 PM
2010 the worst?

Matthew Wells- NFL-bound
Vick Ballard- NFL RB

and to add, how many of these are quality people too?

Reason2succeed
02-04-2015, 07:52 AM
He had obvious NFL talent from a physical standpoint. I do question his attitude- such as pulling himself out of games to not risk injury and things like that. I get the impression that the only thing he cares about is money.

Exactly, wasn't Tunsil five star? We was a big softie. TV crews talked about him a lot but I don't think their OL was that great. They couldn't run the ball. What NFL team wants a guy like that?