PDA

View Full Version : Yall Come Apologize to Hev

BeastMan
02-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Rember leading into the summer when a bunch of Yall were ready to fire Hev? Your main two things Yall cited were OL performance and recruiting. Well, the OL did great this year and all Yall were left with was recruiting. Let's see how he did recruiting.

TD Moton- stayed on him hard even after the Bama commit. He was the catalyst for the flip. Hev gets 100% credit here

Martinas Rankin- Remember when he was an OM lock early on? Remember when MSU fans panicked b/c MSU didn't recruit Danley? That was all Hev. He picked who he wanted and made it happen. Again, 100% credit to Hev for calling his shot.

Darryl Williams- Big-time out of state prospect where Hev was the secondary originally. He became the primary when Collins left. It was all on Hev to keep him solid. Collins tried last minute to offer to Fla and get a visit. Williams didn't flinch. Hev just owned Collins in this one.

Michael Storey- Here's a guy that Hev identified early and stayed on him. He found out he could get him in school early so he kept him from publicly committing. He opened at an 87 3-star on 247. Make no mistake, had he not enrolled early, he'd be blowing up right now and have a 4-star offer sheet. The way Hev handled this recruitment was brilliant. 100% credit to Hev.

Tommy Champion- Hev was the secondary here. Champion recieved multiple SEC offers and numerous overtures from OM. Champion never flinched. When it was apparent that grades were a major issue the staff was smart enough to get him on the plan to get enrolled in Juco early so he'll finish a year sooner. Again, another brilliant move considering the situation. Hev gets a lot of credit here.

OL performing well and arguably the best recruiting cycle by any OL coach in the SEC. Both yalls arguments are now a steaming pile of dung. Guess who took notice of Hev? Southern Cal offered him and he said no thanks. That's not based on that bogus Football Scoop nugget either, that's based on Sports Illustrared reporting and things I was told.

So here's the thread for you Hev haters. Come eat your crow. If you're too proud to admit you're wrong, at least give Hev his props. He's had a great run.

engie
02-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Good luck getting people to do this -- but I agree. Hev had a great year on the field and on the trail. We've finally learned exactly where we can and can't use him.

thedawg
02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
This all came to a head a while ago... During the summer Hevesy should be fired because "its unacceptable we have to start a walk on because he cant recruit"... Then Beckwith was an All American and... crickets

maroonmania
02-03-2015, 10:53 AM
I think most everyone on this board has given Hev credit for a significant step up on his OL recruiting this year. Outside of Rankin its not like these guys are really highly rated, but they all seem to have decent offer lists and are a step above the prospects we've been signing along the OL in the past.

engie
02-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Still want him to continue to recruit better. But seems some of us saw this coming from the distance.
http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/22/offensive-line-problem/

FlabLoser
02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/07/needing-approval.gif

CadaverDawg
02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Nobody wanted him fired. And it was "OL recruiting" not overall recruiting. One good class doesn't make him great, but hopefully this is a trend starting. He has done well this year. Kudos.

We didn't have to have a thread like this for our other coaches, bc it didn't take them 5 years to have a good positional recruiting class.

Ha

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Nobody wanted him fired. And it was "OL recruiting" not overall recruiting. One good class doesn't make him great, but hopefully this is a trend starting. He has done well this year. Kudos.

We didn't have to have a thread like this for our other coaches, bc it didn't take them 5 years to have a good positional recruiting class.

Ha

To be fair for 3 or 4 classes the complaints about WR & QB recruiting were awfully loud as well. It wasn't until we got Fred Ross & Elijah Staley that those gripes quieted down.

thedawg
02-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I read a bunch of posts talking about wishing we would upgrade our Offensive Line Coach.. How bad he needed to go... How he was solely holding us back from taking the next step because our offensive line sucked... So I would disagree that a bunch of message board gurus wanted him fired. And who are you to say he hasnt recruited well the last five years. Our offense was sixth best in the history of the SEC last year... Completely and totally impossible with a poor offensive line

CadaverDawg
02-03-2015, 11:09 AM
I read a bunch of posts talking about wishing we would upgrade our Offensive Line Coach.. How bad he needed to go... How he was solely holding us back from taking the next step because our offensive line sucked... So I would disagree that a bunch of message board gurus wanted him fired. And who are you to say he hasnt recruited well the last five years. Our offense was sixth best in the history of the SEC last year... Completely and totally impossible with a poor offensive line

Must we do this again? There are threads upon threads explaining my position. I can't speak for those that wanted Hev fired.

thedawg
02-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Your right I want to punt also... agree to disagree

BeastMan
02-03-2015, 11:10 AM
@Cadaver

"Nobody wanted him fired" is one of the most inaccurate statements in message board history lol

HoopsDawg
02-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Hev did a good job landing Rankin.

CadaverDawg
02-03-2015, 11:12 AM
@Cadaver

"Nobody wanted him fired" is one of the most inaccurate statements in message board history lol

I didn't. And many people that wanted him to step it up didn't want him fired. I may be wrong to say "nobody", bc there's plenty of goofballs...but a very very small few ever wanted him fired IMO.

engie
02-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Cadaver's position on this has been reasonable... But it's not the position that beast is actually speaking to...

BeastMan
02-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Your right I want to punt also... agree to disagree

So it's too much to say he's had a great run of late? What do you want out of a position coach?

thedawg
02-03-2015, 11:21 AM
So it's too much to say he's had a great run of late? What do you want out of a position coach?

I was talking to Cadaver which is my bad for not quoting him.. I have been his fan for a long time.. Worked camp a few times.. Seen him actually recruit and evaluate kids in camp..

1bigdawg
02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
I think he is doing a better job, but Rankin is not the bell weather here. Martinas is from Mendenhall. There is a "full ride" scholarship available for any graduate of Mendenhall High with an 18 or above on the ACT to go to Ole Miss that is comparable to the new athletic scholarships with extra spending money. As of last year they zero students taking advantage of it. Mendenhall has some Ole Miss grads, but the kids there feel about the same way I do about that place.

In other words, I never believed Martinas was going to TSUN because kids from Mendenhall don't even with huge financial incentives for doing so.

Percho
02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
My favorite saying is, and I still believe: People are idiots, just try and not be the average idiot.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Hey wasn't Hev the primary for that Prescott kid......

BeastMan
02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I was talking to Cadaver which is my bad for not quoting him.. I have been his fan for a long time.. Worked camp a few times.. Seen him actually recruit and evaluate kids in camp..

My b

Political Hack
02-03-2015, 12:55 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/07/needing-approval.gif

Flab, you do realize you're the woman in this analogy, right?

FlabLoser
02-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Its the message more than the characters.

Political Hack
02-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Its the message more than the characters.

that's exactly what a woman would say.

Barking 13
02-03-2015, 06:48 PM