PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins, thanks for the memories, but back the F up...

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 01:56 PM
He made a run at Daryl Williams today, and made one at Kendell Jones and Travor Jung last week apparently. Dude isn't getting shit done in his new state, so he's trying to swoop in at the last minute and steal our recruits. I know he has a job to do, and it looks like he will fail with these 3, but still. Ha

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Yep, he is starting to really piss me off. Bad enough to jump ship on a lateral move where we didn't even have a DC in the biggest bowl game we've played in 50+ years but now he is stabbing us in the back with recruits he built a relationship with while employed by us. Losing a lot of respect for the dude.

RossDawg82
02-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I agree, but since when has recruiting been a "gentleman's game". All is fair in love and war, and im sure we will troll some of their recruits as well.

msstate7
02-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Maybe these recruits telling em no is making him rethink that he's upgraded

GTHOM
02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
doesnt surprise me he is stabbing us in the back, him and mullen left on bad terms

Bothrops
02-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Their 2015 class is plumb pitiful. They are grabbing at straws.

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2015, 02:09 PM
doesnt surprise me he is stabbing us in the back, him and mullen left on bad terms

After the way our defense played I was on bad terms with him too.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2015, 02:11 PM
This is a surprise? What's he supposed to do? He is just doing his job. Do I like it, no. Is he doing anything wrong, no. It is interesting that he can't recruit enough in Florida that he has to come here. That says a lot. In all honesty after the way his defense played Down the stretch I'm glad he is gone.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 02:13 PM
After the way our defense played I was on bad terms with him too.

Dan told him he was a 1B caliber DC, and Geoff got pissed even though that clearly means he is equal to a 1A caliber DC.**

EAVdog
02-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Collins will be feeling the heat ASAP if they don't improve next year. Florida fans are crazy. Collins to them was supposed to be a 'star recruiter'. He hasn't brought in anyone for them, which probably is normal but their class isn't going to cut it.

And now they are grasping at straws and trying to poach us, Florida is in for bad times. I don't think McElwain was a very inspiring hire and having Muschamp at Auburn is going to be very problematic.

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 02:19 PM
This is a surprise? What's he supposed to do? He is just doing his job. Do I like it, no. Is he doing anything wrong, no. It is interesting that he can't recruit enough in Florida that he has to come here. That says a lot. In all honesty after the way his defense played Down the stretch I'm glad he is gone.

He is doing his job THIS WAY because Florida is in desparation mode. Its usually a gentleman's agreement that you lay off players committed to the school you are leaving out of respect for your previous employer. Obviously things are bad enough in recruiting for FL this year that Collins is throwing that out the window. Manny didn't come after MSU guys after leaving for Texas, if he had Mullen would not even have considered bringing him back. Maybe we didn't have any commits TX wanted but that's beside the point, fact remains he didn't do it.

West Houston Dog
02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Stabbed his players, MSU fans in the back with leaving before the bowlgame...heard from a Gator buddy of mine that he heard there was a falling out at the end of the season between Mullen and Collins...maybe Dan jumped him good after the bad defensive performance in the EB(tho Dan's play calling in that game wasn't very good either IMO). Tho wouldn't have been happy if he just took the Fla job AFTER the Orange Bowl, leaving as bowl practiced started, leaving us with no DC for a difficult Ga Tech offense to defense was just a nose thumbing towards his Bulldog players and MSU fans(and Mullen of course). I know coaching and recruiting is an ALLS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR but still will root against him (and the new Fla coach....and I grew up a Gator!)for leaving us high and dry before the bowl game....

RossDawg82
02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
He is doing his job THIS WAY because Florida is in desparation mode. Its usually a gentleman's agreement that you lay off players committed to the school you are leaving out of respect for your previous employer. Obviously things are bad enough in recruiting for FL this year that Collins is throwing that out the window. Manny didn't come after MSU guys after leaving for Texas, if he had Mullen would not even have considered bringing him back. Maybe we didn't have any commits TX wanted but that's beside the point, fact remains he didn't do it.

Says who???? There are no gentleman's agreements when you are being paid 1Mil to do a job. That is the craziest statement I have ever heard. Did Brewster stop recruiting our players because he went to FSU?

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Says who???? There are no gentleman's agreements when you are being paid 1Mil to do a job. That is the craziest statement I have ever heard. Did Brewster stop recruiting our players because he went to FSU?

Good gracious, its been that way forever UNLESS a player reaches out to you at your new job which I really doubt any of ours did to Collins. Heck, Mullen wouldn't even recruit the state of Florida the first year or two he was here out of respect for Urban. Obviously, coaches can do whatever they want at their new job but folks remember those kind of things in the coaching circles. And if it wasn't an issue you can be assured that Collins would not have waited until the last week in the process to make the offers. Florida is hurting bad in this recruiting cycle.

Political Hack
02-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I want to thank Florida for allowing us to upgrade our defense.

Bothrops
02-02-2015, 03:04 PM
I don't wish Collins any bad luck, but I doubt he's at Florida more than two seasons.

bobcat91
02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't wish Collins any bad luck, but I doubt he's at Florida more than two seasons.

That whole staff may be gone after 2-3 seasons. And it couldn't happen to a bigger loser than Foley.

Howboutdemdogs
02-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Collins is a flash in the pan and an "also ran" in the SEC. He will end back at a small D1 and be buried there.

MabenMaroon
02-02-2015, 07:39 PM
The way everything went down with Collins' leaving, I am beginning to think that CDM was going to encourage him to seek other employment after the season much in the same way Chris Wilson was encouraged to leave. I suspect that Collins got his panties in a wad by the way and manner that CDM criticized the whole staff ( and himself ) after the EB and probably things got heated between him and CDM and CDM just decided to pull the trigger earlier than he anticipated. I could see Collins getting bent out of shape after the EB presser, I mean after all he is the "swag man". And by definition, confidence, ego and pride are all huge components of swag.
Bottom line, I am glad he has moved on and am pretty excited about having Manny back. Am thinking that Manny led defenses will hold our opponents down enough to allow our high octane offenses outscore our opponents. CDM appears to have the system and personnel stacked up to maintain upper level offenses for a while to come.

yjnkdawg
02-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I had thought Collins was going to have an aggressive defense, that would keep the offense off balance and guessing and quarterback pressure, from what he had said preseason? But in return , we got a bend, don't break one. Anyway, I am looking forward to the Diaz defensive era returning.

yjnkdawg
02-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Yep, he is starting to really piss me off. Bad enough to jump ship on a lateral move where we didn't even have a DC in the biggest bowl game we've played in 50+ years but now he is stabbing us in the back with recruits he built a relationship with while employed by us. Losing a lot of respect for the dude.

There were so many stories circulating on his departure, but one was that when he told Mullen that he was leaving, he told Mullen that he would still coach in the bowl game. Mullen supposedly said Thanks, but No Thanks. Don't know if it came down like that, but just a thought. I agree about the going after our commits. Seems like a coach in panic mode. Now if they were targets and not commits, then that would be somewhat different.

Todd4State
02-02-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't have any ill will against Collins, but my impression of him is that he is kind of soft or is at the very least a "pleaser". The 1a/1b stuff only has its place at the YMCA and in Upward Flag football. I just don't think he has the balls to succeed in the SEC long term.

M.Fillmore
02-02-2015, 10:50 PM

Okay guys, enlighten me. Why is it evil for Mullen to "throw coaches under the bus" for screwing when the coaches are all making six figures for working for the team, and its okay for Bucky to throw players under the bus for screwing up who are all making only five figures for playing for the team.

When you make big dollars, getting chewed out comes with the territory in any job.

I think Wallace has tires tracks from Bucky's truck embedded in his chest.

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
There were so many stories circulating on his departure, but one was that when he told Mullen that he was leaving, he told Mullen that he would still coach in the bowl game. Mullen supposedly said Thanks, but No Thanks. Don't know if it came down like that, but just a thought. I agree about the going after our commits. Seems like a coach in panic mode. Now if they were targets and not commits, then that would be somewhat different.

Well that could be correct, it may not have been Geoff's decision to leave prior to the Orange Bowl. Mullen may have been upset enough that he was just ready for him to move on. HOWEVER, the "game plan" that Collins had for the Egg Bowl, if you want to call it that, was so atrocious that I'm not sure Collins hadn't already mentally checked out on our program before that game. The way we played OM (with an injured Bo) defensively and the strategy TCU used defensively against them were night and day different. And I think its pretty obvious which one was effective and which one wasn't.

SDDawg
02-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Florida is becoming much less likeable under the new regime than they were before. They'll definitely be one of my least favorite teams in the East going forward.

GTHOM
02-02-2015, 11:37 PM
I think florida just got a commit from a 4 star RB shannon OM was after

GTHOM
02-02-2015, 11:39 PM
I am glad Collins is gone as well. The whole ''mullen micromanages the defense'' conspiracy will be answered this fall, if we play the same defense as we did this past season it will be true, because Diaz sure as hell is not bend but dont break. which i think fits us perfect.