PDA

View Full Version : Baseball questions anyone???

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Serious questions that I can answer I will try.

DanDority
02-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Who looks like our 1,2,3 hole hitters?

Okrastar1
02-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Do we feel like Rea may finally come around in his batting???

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I think super fast Michael Smith is leadoff, John Holland, Gavin Collins then Reid Humphreys. Really good 4.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Serious questions that I can answer I will try.

Just curious, who is our back up first baseman?

Who do you think our mid-week starters will be. Let's say we play 3 on the weekend and 2 weekday, who are the 5 starters.

Smitty
02-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Can Robson hit the ball the other way yet?

Will Seth Heck be the leadoff hitter? He'll either be there or 5-6 depending on Reynolds & Smith ability.

How is Luke Reynolds vs LHP?

Can Rea handle an inside fastball yet?
Does Rea in the 8 hole sound about right?

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Rea still struggles some. No one is perfect. We need from him to be a smart batter in key situations. Don't strikeout w a man on third w less than two outs.

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Just curious, who is our back up first baseman?

Who do you think our mid-week starters will be. Let's say we play 3 on the weekend and 2 weekday, who are the 5 starters.

I think Cole Gordon or Trent Waddell are tied. Preston, Ross and Lucas are the leaders. McCord and Sexton close behind. Five starters as of right now.

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Can Robson hit the ball the other way yet?

Will Seth Heck be the leadoff hitter? He'll either be there or 5-6 depending on Reynolds & Smith ability.

How is Luke Reynolds vs LHP?

Can Rea handle an inside fastball yet?
Does Rea in the 8 hole sound about right?

Robson is better than you think. Some guys play better in real games.
Heck is 6-8 hitter to me.
Luke struggles some, just need reps. End of year will be better.
Rea can....if he knows its coming..

bulldogcountry1
02-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Every year, Thompson manages to work some magic and turn an average guy into a dominant guy -
Lindgren, Girodo, Stratton, etc.

Who is going to be the 2015 version? Fitts? Hudson?

Are we going to change our offensive strategy at all now due to the increase in offensive firepower, speed, and the new balls? In other words, less b**ts and more swinging away?

Smitty
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Every year, Thompson manages to work some magic and turn an average guy into a dominant guy -

To be fair, Lindgren was far from an average guy.

maroonmania
02-01-2015, 09:43 PM

He was actually below average his Sophomore year. In fact far enough below that I don't think he threw a single pitch in Omaha.

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Are we going to change our offensive strategy at all now due to the increase in offensive firepower, speed, and the new balls? In other words, less b**ts and more swinging away?

My money is on Dakota Hudson. He will pitch 2-3 times a week getting his delivery down then boom, gets a start and dominates.

The reason we bunted...some guys weren't good hitters. Then in key situations it is necessary to bunt. But remember our talent level increases each year. Michael Smith and John Holland are damn good. We will swing away more and run more.

Smitty
02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
He was actually below average his Sophomore year.

I guess you'd say Pollorena was below average too.

Lindgren had the worst luck possible, as well documented. His peripherals were very good, leading me to champion his breakout that followed.

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 09:51 PM
My next two after Dakota are Cole Gordon and Paul Young. These guys will contribute on the mound. We have so much depth this year.

Smitty
02-01-2015, 09:52 PM

McCord

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2015, 10:02 PM
McCord

No its not McCord. He is already doing great. I don't think Butch helped him much. He will be great all year.

bulldogcountry1
02-01-2015, 10:08 PM

To be factual, Lindgren's ERA in 2013 was 4.18.

Smitty
02-01-2015, 10:15 PM

And Pollorena's was 4.27.

maroonmania
02-01-2015, 10:22 PM

It wasn't an ERA issue. Lindgren became so undependable we quit using him mostly because he had no clue where the strike zone was. I don't think he pitched for us in the regional, super regional or CWS AT ALL. Pollorena was used all the way through the year so I'm not sure why he is the comparison here.

cbrunt29
02-01-2015, 11:21 PM
What will Vickerson's role be this year? Haven't heard too much about him.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 01:09 AM
My money is on Dakota Hudson. He will pitch 2-3 times a week getting his delivery down then boom, gets a start and dominates.

The reason we bunted...some guys weren't good hitters. Then in key situations it is necessary to bunt. But remember our talent level increases each year. Michael Smith and John Holland are damn good. We will swing away more and run more.

Dakota Hudson's growth this year will be fun to watch. He has really taken to the new arm slot and is making big strides. His location is still iffy at this point- but the movement on his fastball is better, and he now has a really nice slider. The best sign to me comes from a Butch Thompson interview where he says that Dakota is always bouncing back well and wanting to pitch just about every day- whereas he'd need a couple of days off when he pitched over the top. I think your timeline for Dakota's development could be pretty much on the money. Look for him to possibly have a Stratton-esque 2016 season, after improving all throughout this year.

Michael Smith has also been a very pleasant surprise for me offensively. I knew he'd be a difference maker for us in the outfield- but all these extra base hits he's getting and that no doubt HR today has me really excited about his bat as well. Someone with his speed, with gap power and a knack for getting on base? That's tough to keep out of the lineup. Can't wait to watch that guy play ball in the early season. We've got some really good problems to work out in the outfield.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Heck is 6-8 hitter to me.

If Seth Heck hits that low in the order for us, I'll feel really good about our offense.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 01:17 AM
I think Cole Gordon or Trent Waddell are tied. Preston, Ross and Lucas are the leaders. McCord and Sexton close behind. Five starters as of right now.

These would probably be our five best starters, as of today.

If it was me though, I'd start Daniel Brown instead of Mitchell- just so we could have Mitchell as an insurance policy if someone makes a bad start. I'm so ready to get this season started.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 06:55 AM
What will Vickerson's role be this year? Haven't heard too much about him.

Vick will get a few starts but he is backup OF.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 06:59 AM
These would probably be our five best starters, as of today.

If it was me though, I'd start Daniel Brown instead of Mitchell- just so we could have Mitchell as an insurance policy if someone makes a bad start. I'm so ready to get this season started.

I put this out there the other day. Here's one scenario: if Preston and Lucas go long in their games then start Ross on Sunday but if one of them falters put in Ross at long relief then use Sexton or McCord on Sunday.

Political Hack
02-02-2015, 07:54 AM
what's the OF rotation going to look like come SEC play?

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 08:57 AM
what's the OF rotation going to look like come SEC play?

Humphreys in left, Michael Smith will start in center or right. Brown and Robson both bat left, both are good defenders. Robson can steal better. I would give the nod to Robson at this point. Hump, Robson and Smith. If Humphreys gets nicked up and has to DH, that will push the rotation around.

The rotation depends on Humphreys bc he is a brand new OF. If Cohen thinks the park they are playing in needs speedy OF's then Hump will DH, I think. Just like the Red Sox, you put the OF that can't run fast, etc in left field against the Green Monster.

Rooker and Swinarski will get reps. I think they will be solid by June.

DudyDawg
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
How are the guys coming off injuries looking. Was it young that had tommy john?

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 11:34 AM
How are the guys coming off injuries looking. Was it young that had tommy john?

By what I have seen of Butch's interviews he is fine. He is throwing bullpens gaining strength. I was hoping he would pitch yesterday in the warm weather. He will not allow him to pitch in colder temps coming off surgery. Butch said he will get a few innings in preseason non-conf and then be ready to go in SEC play.

engie
02-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I prefer Brown to Robson because of their perceived power differential. He's a gap guy with some power, good plate discipline, and had really close to the best isolated power(extra bases per at bat) in the Cal Ripken League this summer. Was top 10 in OPS etc...

I just haven't seen anything from Robson to lead me to believe he can be any more than a ~ .300 hitter with a handful of doubles on a season. That's not to say that we don't need some of that if it makes us better on the bases and the field -- but I just prefer to trade a little defense to gain a little offense when the difference is minimal like I see this being. Takes too many things going right to score runs when half the lineup are rarely even doubles threats.

With Humphreys, Smith, Brown/Rooker/Swinarski, Britton, Heck, Holland, Rea, and Collins -- there are a whole lot of power/doubles threats there...

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure the average MSU baseball fan realizes the change we are about to see in our baseball talent. We are used to having offensive liabilities, and guys that we KNOW a single is about as much as we can hope for in each at bat. Guys we loved, but guys like Henderson that didn't have much gap power, and didn't scare opponents at the plate.

Now, we will have a lineup that has very few, if any, weak spots. We now have a great combination of speed and power, but even our smaller, faster guys can get extra base hits. And no more relying on only Wes Rea for bombs.

For those that follow my "Hevesy needs to recruit more front end talent for our OL" discussions....I think this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Much like Hevesy, Cohen and Butch are great at developing lesser talented players. Thompson is a magician with what he's done the last several years, and Cohen has found ways to get enough production to get us to a CWS and to win a lot of games. But unlike we've been able to see from Hevesy yet.....Cohen and Butch have now gone out and stock piled talent, so we will get to see what these developers can do with even more front end talent. In other words...if Butch can make Ross Mitchell and Jonathan Holder stud pitchers....what can he do with guys like McCord, Sexton, Hudson, etc?

Out of all of the success we've already seen under Cohen, we have yet to field a good offensive club when you really think about it. Now we have a more talented pitching staff to go with a far more talented offensive club. This could be a very fun ride we're about to start as MSU baseball fans.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I prefer Brown to Robson because of their perceived power differential. He's a gap guy with some power, good plate discipline, and had really close to the best isolated power(extra bases per at bat) in the Cal Ripken League this summer. Was top 10 in OPS etc...

I just haven't seen anything from Robson to lead me to believe he can be any more than a ~ .300 hitter with a handful of doubles on a season. That's not to say that we don't need some of that if it makes us better on the bases and the field -- but I just prefer to trade a little defense to gain a little offense when the difference is minimal like I see this being. Takes too many things going right to score runs when half the lineup are rarely even doubles threats.

With Humphreys, Smith, Brown/Rooker/Swinarski, Britton, Heck, Holland, Rea, and Collins -- there are a whole lot of power/doubles threats there...

I agree. While I think Robson will be much improved, and a valuable defensive/bunting sub in late innings....I would much rather Cody Brown start for us over Robson due to his gap power and the energy he brings

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure the average MSU baseball fan realizes the change we are about to see in our baseball talent. We are used to having offensive liabilities, and guys that we KNOW a single is about as much as we can hope for in each at bat. Guys we loved, but guys like Henderson that didn't have much gap power, and didn't scare opponents at the plate.

Now, we will have a lineup that has very few, if any, weak spots. We now have a great combination of speed and power, but even our smaller, faster guys can get extra base hits. And no more relying on only Wes Rea for bombs.

For those that follow my "Hevesy needs to recruit more front end talent for our OL" discussions....I think this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Much like Hevesy, Cohen and Butch are great at developing lesser talented players. Thompson is a magician with what he's done the last several years, and Cohen has found ways to get enough production to get us to a CWS and to win a lot of games. But unlike we've been able to see from Hevesy yet.....Cohen and Butch have now gone out and stock piled talent, so we will get to see what these developers can do with even more front end talent. In other words...if Butch can make Ross Mitchell and Jonathan Holder stud pitchers....what can he do with guys like McCord, Sexton, Hudson, etc?

Out of all of the success we've already seen under Cohen, we have yet to field a good offensive club when you really think about it. Now we have a more talented pitching staff to go with a far more talented offensive club. This could be a very fun ride we're about to start as MSU baseball fans.

We finished 3rd or 4th in runs/game in SEC play in 2013- and two of the teams in front of us were two of the best teams in SEC history record-wise. That's pretty darn good.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
We finished 3rd or 4th in runs/game in SEC play in 2013- and two of the teams in front of us were two of the best teams in SEC history record-wise. That's pretty darn good.

No I agree, I'm not talking numbers...I'm talking talent. In other words, Cohen has created good offense without great offensive talent like we're going to have going forward. If that makes sense.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 12:40 PM
No I agree, I'm not talking numbers...I'm talking talent. In other words, Cohen has created good offense without great offensive talent like we're going to have going forward. If that makes sense.

Ah, that does make sense.

The 2013 team obviously had a few elite talents- but it won't be on the same level 1-9 through the order that we should have going forward.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Ah, that does make sense.

The 2013 team obviously had a few elite talents- but it won't be on the same level 1-9 through the order that we should have going forward.

Who do you think we see in the leadoff spot? And where do you see Heck and Holland?

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Predicting Cohen's batting order (especially in the early season) is damn near impossible.

IMO if today was opening day and a righthander was on the mound, Robson would probably lead off. That said, I would not be the least bit surprised if any number of candidates take that over at some point in the season- Smith, Brown, Heck, Holland, etc. are all possibilities and it's very wide-open.

Holland will force himself into the top 2-3 in the order at some point. He's just too good. Smith could do the same. If all these guys play well and force Heck down to six or lower in the order, we will have a very good offense.

To be honest though, batting order is one of those things that will work itself out most of the time. It's best to just let it all play out on the field. If we are hitting well and scoring runs, Cohen will settle on a lineup just like he did in 2013. If not, then it could be a game of musical lineup card again this year. Let's just hope these new players and inexperienced guys step up and play well, and the batting order will be just fine.

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Dakota Hudson's growth this year will be fun to watch. He has really taken to the new arm slot and is making big strides. His location is still iffy at this point- but the movement on his fastball is better, and he now has a really nice slider. The best sign to me comes from a Butch Thompson interview where he says that Dakota is always bouncing back well and wanting to pitch just about every day- whereas he'd need a couple of days off when he pitched over the top. I think your timeline for Dakota's development could be pretty much on the money. Look for him to possibly have a Stratton-esque 2016 season, after improving all throughout this year.

Michael Smith has also been a very pleasant surprise for me offensively. I knew he'd be a difference maker for us in the outfield- but all these extra base hits he's getting and that no doubt HR today has me really excited about his bat as well. Someone with his speed, with gap power and a knack for getting on base? That's tough to keep out of the lineup. Can't wait to watch that guy play ball in the early season. We've got some really good problems to work out in the outfield.

Has this change affected his velocity?

DudyDawg
02-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Who do you think we see in the leadoff spot? And where do you see Heck and Holland?

I wouldn't mind seeing heck hit second (and maybe play second too, though I haven't seen holland play so I can't speak on that as much). He's a good singles hitter and I think is perfect in the second hole in that he can handle the bat well on things like hit and runs and bunts and stuff you do behind a speedster like a smith or Robson.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 01:29 PM

I don't think so. He will touch 95. Once these guys get into pitching shape, you will see it go up. Warmer weather and pitching shape will do wonders.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 01:31 PM

The 2016 team will be the most talented team in over 20 years. Pure baseball talent. Even if we lose 2 signees to the draft. Starting in 2016, walkons will have very, very little chance of making it. They would have to be a specialty pitcher.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 01:35 PM

His velocity has dropped a tiny bit, but not too much at all- and that's to be expected. But he will have better location and should have MUCH better movement on his pitches. I have absolutely zero concern about Dakota Hudson's velocity- the guy is going to throw hard either way. We'd much rather have him at 94 or 95 with movement and hitting his spots- as opposed to 97 going straight as an arrow and either right down the middle or walking people.

Also, everyone on our staff's velocity is a little lower than it will be when the weather warms up and their arms get into game shape. That's normal too.

GTHOM
02-02-2015, 01:39 PM
How good will Reid Humphreys be?

Who will be the midweek starters?

Are we good enough to win the SEC?/ Omaha trip?

maroonmania
02-02-2015, 01:43 PM
I agree. While I think Robson will be much improved, and a valuable defensive/bunting sub in late innings....I would much rather Cody Brown start for us over Robson due to his gap power and the energy he brings

The biggest improvement I would need to see from Robson before I would want to consider him for leadoff is the ability to make contact with the ball. You don't need a routine strikeout victim leading off and that is exactly what he was last year.

messageboardsuperhero
02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
RE Robson, let's wait and see how he does this year before writing him off due to past performance. When he got here, he had graduated earlier than everyone else and was playing as a 17 year old freshman- and remember, he really came on at the end of the year and had some nice moments. Last year he missed the entire fall to mono, then got hurt early in the season and took a medical redshirt. Remember what Daryl Norris was like for us in 2012 before the injury? And then remember how he hit after he got hurt? Injuries and health can have a huge impact on how someone plays, and it's something that fans often don't take into account.

I'm not saying Robson will be a sure-fire stud for us this year- but there is a reason he has been hitting leadoff for his team in every scrimmage this January. He is a very talented player. Just give him a shot before calling him a .200 hitter and strikeout machine. We'll see what he's made of now.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
My next two after Dakota are Cole Gordon and Paul Young. These guys will contribute on the mound. We have so much depth this year.
We have depth. But we lack real studs and velocity. Our pitching could be very average this year.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 03:13 PM
How good will Reid Humphreys be?

Who will be the midweek starters?

Are we good enough to win the SEC?/ Omaha trip?

He can be All-SEC, AA type. He will be same as his brother in MLB. A 1B/LF. He will hit 10 plus HR's.

Mid-week is still TBD.

I think we are good enough to win the SEC regular season and go to Omaha. Going to Omaha depends on momentum and seeding, two of which I don't know.

MsStateBaseball
02-02-2015, 03:14 PM
We have depth. But we lack real studs and velocity. Our pitching could be very average this year.

We will be good.