PDA

View Full Version : In regards to our recruiting class

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I'm one of the few that still feels strongly that we will not get Leo Lewis. That being said, I really wish MSU fans would take a look at how bad ass our recruiting class will be regardless of Leo. It feels like our fans just have to get sucked in to at least one bit of recruiting drama every year about this time, but this year it seems unecessary. In other words, I really hope all of this wishful thinking about Leo, doesn't make our fan base feel disappointed if he doesn't sign with us on Wednesday. For the first time in several years, I feel very confident that we have our entire class pretty much locked up and ready to sign, with no late flip potential (knock on wood)....so we should be pumped.

If we find a way to get Miggins and Lewis, I will feel like we just made a great class, one of the best in the country....but if we get neither, it won't be like we "missed" on them. Miggins was somebody we went after late, and Lewis was a long shot for a while IMO. So we still have a great class.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...we are in a position to where we should be able to kick our feet up as fans, and watch LSU and OM fight over Leo, hope that Miggins decides on us, but feel glad either way that we got who we wanted this year. Let's celebrate this class, and not potentially let a Lewis announcement to OM or LSU make us feel disappointed. Mullen and company did a hell of a job this year....especially when you think about one of our best recruiters leaving for Florida a month ago. I'm really pumped about this group.

Hail State

(And I'm not trying to say we can't or won't get Lewis....I just feel like expectations on him need to be tempered a bit, because some people are acting like he's definitely signing with us, but that is a total unknown at this point. So let him be potential icing on the cake, instead of potentially a late poo poo on our class)

maroonmania
02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I agree, if we just sign what we have it will be a great class. Let me just say though that IF, and its a big IF, but IF Leo Lewis signs with us and it comes out that he has been a commit all along and this whole OM thing was orchestrated by our staff and Lewis to take a jab back at Freezus, Fancy and the Bears with all of their flipmas crap and to get payback for Tee Shephard and others, he will instantly become my absolute favorite MSU recruit OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

DawgFromOxford
02-01-2015, 02:37 PM
I will never be satisfied with a MSU recruiting class until we sign a premier kicker (kidding, mostly). But it would be nice to sign someone who is consistent with field goals from more than 25 yards. Other than that this class is going to do wonders for us in the upcoming years.

maroonmania
02-01-2015, 02:42 PM
I will never be satisfied with a MSU recruiting class until we sign a premier kicker (kidding, mostly). But it would be nice to sign someone who is consistent with field goals from more than 25 yards. Other than that this class is going to do wonders for us in the upcoming years.

We seem to have more luck with FG kickers that walk on than we do with guys we give scholarships so I don't think you can get much on signing day with regard to that.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Great is too strong a word for this class. I would call it very solid.

I see 5 elite players. 4 that can't play. 10 that I really like. And 8 that are toss ups.

smootness
02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Agreed. And even if we land Lewis, knowing our history, there's a decent chance somebody like Washington, who has been completely forgotten, ends up being a better LB anyway.

This class is very deep with quality players. And that's what you need; more important than getting a few elite guys (and we do have a couple in this class) is just loading up the whole class with guys who can play in the SEC. And that's what we're doing.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Great is too strong a word for this class. I would call it very solid.

I see 5 elite players. 4 that can't play. 10 that I really like. And 8 that are toss ups.

I disagree. But to each his own.

I'm sure BMac would have been in the "4 that can't play", or "8 that are toss ups" category if you had done this for his class, so...

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Agreed. And even if we land Lewis, knowing our history, there's a decent chance somebody like Washington, who has been completely forgotten, ends up being a better LB anyway.

This class is very deep with quality players. And that's what you need; more important than getting a few elite guys (and we do have a couple in this class) is just loading up the whole class with guys who can play in the SEC. And that's what we're doing.

+1

DawgFromOxford
02-01-2015, 02:48 PM
We seem to have more luck with FG kickers that walk on than we do with guys we give scholarships so I don't think you can get much on signing day with regard to that.

I'd still like to give a good kicker out of high school a scholarship though. I think putting up the money to hire a real special teams coach would also be beneficial, but not sure that will happen or how many teams actually do that. The point is special teams have been lacking in certain areas and I think putting a kid on scholarship out of high school would help.

Todd4State
02-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I think we will have a surprise or two on NSD like we had with Elgton Jenkins and James Cochran last year. My guess is they are waiting to see how the traffic clears. I think we will close strong this year.

As far as the kickers- the thing is we really haven't had a scholarship FG kicker since Brauchle. The others have been punters.

Todd4State
02-01-2015, 02:52 PM
I'd still like to give a good kicker out of high school a scholarship though. I think putting up the money to hire a real special teams coach would also be beneficial, but not sure that will happen or how many teams actually do that. The point is special teams have been lacking in certain areas and I think putting a kid on scholarship out of high school would help.

Kickers are so squirrely though. You give a guy like John Michael Marlin a scholarship, and I think most coaches feel obligated to let them be the guy. I actually like having a bunch of walk-ons try out and then figure out who the best is and give that player the scholarship.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 02:52 PM

I'm sure BMac would have been in the "4 that can't play", or "8 that are toss ups" category if you had done this for his class, so...

Not at all. I wonder why people always say that. B-Mac was a 6'5 athlete that played QB for his HS team and we signed him as a LB. He also looked great in Blackwell All Star game. I touted him as the sleeper of the class.

Dawgowar
02-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Are we getting a kicker or four in this class?

msstate7
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Not at all. I wonder why people always say that. B-Mac was a 6'5 athlete that played QB for his HS team and we signed him as a LB. He also looked great in Blackwell All Star game. I touted him as the sleeper of the class.

What about day, clausell, beckwith, calhoun, and banks? Were you correct on all them?

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 02:56 PM

I just disagree with you, and think this is a great class. No offense. I respect your opinion.

Who are the guys you would place in each category? And if we get Leo and Miggins, would you call it a great class then? If not, MSU may not ever have a great class through your eyes.

If you have followed MSU recruiting for several years, I find it hard to think this isn't REALLY good to great for us.

Todd4State
02-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Having Jamal Peters, Mark McLaurin and Chris Stamps in the same secondary is going to be sick. Keith Joseph and Tim Washington are both going to be really good too.

Bothrops
02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
I think this class could have a lot of surprises, and some players that turn out in a few years from now. We should have more speed coming in, however until you see it when it counts, you just don't know. I don't think anyone will be super fast on offense coming in, but as a group, our skill guys will have more speed in the next few years. Speed on defense will he better.

I feel getting Lewis is a 50/50 two way race.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 03:05 PM
I think this class could have a lot of surprises, and some players that turn out in a few years from now. We should have more speed coming in, however until you see it when it counts, you just don't know. I don't think anyone will be super fast on offense coming in, but as a group, our skill guys will have more speed in the next few years. Speed on defense will he better.

I feel getting Lewis is a 50/50 two way race.

Mixon will be extremely fast, along with Donald Gray of course. I agree with the rest of what you said

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 03:05 PM
I just disagree with you, and think this is a great class. No offense. I respect your opinion.

Who are the guys you would place in each category? And if we get Leo and Miggins, would you call it a great class then? If not, MSU may not ever have a great class through your eyes.

If you have followed MSU recruiting for several years, I find it hard to think this isn't REALLY good to great for us.

I have followed recruiting extremely close for 18 years. There are probably very few that have followed it as closely as me on this board. I called the 2009 class, a great class. Jackie had a couple of great classes. This would definitely be Mullen's best class since I don't give him much credit for the '09 class.

I will give you my 5 elite and 10 that I really like. This is based off of film, how heavily they were recruited, coaches comments, all star games, recruiting experts opinions and games I have seen in person.

Elite: Peters, Rankin, Gray, Dontea Jones, and Fletcher Adams (though he is a little undersized)

Really like these 10: Calvin, Gibson, Joseph, Smitherman, McLaurin, Stamps, Moton, Mixon, Dear, Johnson

And I will tell you I put all of the HS offensive linemen in the toss up category b/c o-linemen are impossible to project unless they are no-brainers and none of those guys are no-brainers.

MSUDawg4Life
02-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Having Jamal Peters, Mark McLaurin and Chris Stamps in the same secondary is going to be sick. Keith Joseph and Tim Washington are both going to be really good too.

Yep. That's going to be nasty.

I also see the class we have as solid. Getting Leo Lewis and anybody else would be gravy.

msstate7
02-01-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't know how this class will turn out, but I love the fact we've had almost all these guys committed for awhile. We haven't been scrambling at the last minute to fill spots after a miss. I think this shows that Dan has gotten guys he really likes

Todd4State
02-01-2015, 03:14 PM
I have followed recruiting extremely close for 18 years. There are probably very few that have followed it as closely as me on this board. I called the 2009 class, a great class. Jackie had a couple of great classes. This would definitely be Mullen's best class since I don't give him much credit for the '09 class.

I will give you my 5 elite and 10 that I really like. This is based off of film, how heavily they were recruited, coaches comments, all star games, recruiting experts opinions and games I have seen in person.

Elite: Peters, Rankin, Gray, Dontea Jones, and Fletcher Adams (though he is a little undersized)

Really like these 10: Calvin, Gibson, Joseph, Smitherman, McLaurin, Stamps, Moton, Mixon, Dear, Johnson

And I will tell you I put all of the HS offensive linemen in the toss up category b/c o-linemen are impossible to project unless they are no-brainers and none of those guys are no-brainers.

Dontea Jones losing his fourth star because of an injury was absurd. I agree that he is in the elite category. I really like Story as well. I know he's a HS o-lineman, but I think he's going to be really good.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 03:15 PM
What about day, clausell, beckwith, calhoun, and banks? Were you correct on all them?

I was right on Banks. He was an unreal 3 sport athlete in HS and was just overlooked. He also had a great frame. Clausell would have been a toss up due to being an O-linemen but I like his height and long arms. Beckwith was a walk-on so I had no opinion. I thought Calhoun was a little bit of reach so I was wrong on him.

NCDawg

I tend to agree with you that we won't get Lewis or Miggins. I've been disappointed too many times over the years that when it comes down to the wire, it seems we lose out. I hope we're both pleasantly surprised and we get at least one of the two. But, regardless, we will have a very good class if all our commitments stay with us.

Bothrops
Mixon will be extremely fast, along with Donald Gray of course. I agree with the rest of what you said

Actually, I forgot about Gray, damn. He will be a difference maker from day one. Mixon, to me, seems more quick than fast. A quick guy that's tough with good vision. Like him a lot.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Interestimg.

I think the following guys could all end up being elite...

Peters
Rankin
Gray
Jones
Adams
McLaurin
Moton
Stamps
Joseph
Mixon
Dear

Not a guy on the commit list I think can't play though

Todd4State
02-01-2015, 03:16 PM
I don't know how this class will turn out, but I love the fact we've had almost all these guys committed for awhile. We haven't been scrambling at the last minute to fill spots after a miss. I think this shows that Dan has gotten guys he really likes

I'm OK with how Dan does recruiting. Get approximately 20 guys committed and then have approximately five spots left at the end.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Dontea Jones losing his fourth star because of an injury was absurd. I agree that he is in the elite category. I really like Story as well. I know he's a HS o-lineman, but I think he's going to be really good.

I can understand Dontea being a 3 star b/c he is ranked as a WR. But I think he is going to be an elite hybrid TE under Mullen. I'm talking Aaron Hernedez good. He is massive and can run.

preachermatt83
02-01-2015, 03:20 PM
nm

msstate7
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
I see most here are really high on mixon, but not thomas. I haven't seen either play, but both seem to be the same size and type of player. Thomas has the more impressive offer list of the two.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
I can understand Dontea being a 3 star b/c he is ranked as a WR. But I think he is going to be an elite hybrid TE under Mullen. I'm talking Aaron Hernedez good. He is massive and can run.

I agree

CadaverDawg
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
I see most here are really high on mixon, but not thomas. I haven't seen either play, but both seem to be the same size and type of player. Thomas has the more impressive offer list of the two.

Yea, Thomas could be a sleeper. And I think Spivey is another guy everyone is undervaluing.

The fact that we are forgetting guys like Thomas and Spivey, are part of the reason this class is Great.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Not the same type of player at all.

msstate7
02-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Not the same type of player at all.

Slot guys, correct? How are they different? Again, I really haven't seen either. I take that back I did see mixon some in ms-al game. Mixon did look good

Bothrops
02-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Thomas is very quick in traffic. Quick feet.

smootness
02-01-2015, 03:44 PM
What about Slay? People forget we signed him out of HS as a 2-star before he went to JUCO. Yet another example of this staff seeing something very few others saw.

Bothrops
02-01-2015, 03:57 PM
What about Slay? People forget we signed him out of HS as a 2-star before he went to JUCO. Yet another example of this staff seeing something very few others saw.

Slay was an elite talent out of hs. I thought he was reduced to a two star because of grades. He always had elite speed.

bulldawg28
02-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Slay was an elite talent out of hs. I thought he was reduced to a two star because of grades. He always had elite speed.

Elite speed doesn't make elite football talent. However, our coaches saw more than speed. I only wished Slay played more while here. Regardless a great pickup by the staff.

smootness
02-01-2015, 04:19 PM

He was not considered an elite talent. He had blazing speed, but nobody had any idea if he could transition to CB.

Barking 13
02-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I don't worry that much about recruiting because, under Mullen, we always seem to get what we need, or he makes them fit where we need them.