PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl basketball article

msstate7
02-01-2015, 09:21 AM
http://mississippistate.scout.com/story/1508237-it-s-time-to-get-over-it

mparkerfd20
02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
One of the better articles Steve has wrote, but I still want Ray gone.

engie
02-01-2015, 10:06 AM
One of the better Rosey articles I've seen in quite some time. He's right. And I think we'll start to see that happening. I think I already have to a small extent. The way this team has played for the past 3 weeks has been what I expected it to be when I was arguing in the beginning -- and what it needed to be for Ray to still be here. It's becoming apparent to me that they aren't going to quit on him. Even when I thought they had -- both early this year and late last year -- and even though the fanbase has been DOA -- they find a way to come back and make a final push for him. I'd sure love it if we'd learn to capitalize on momentum now. A couple of chances(against UGA) have been squandered with lively crowds in the building that just seem to be itching to buy back in. We reel off another home win or two and the Hump and go compete well at Tenn and Arky, and the Hump will begin to really spring back to life.

Still not truly convinced he's the answer as coach primarily because of the mental mistakes we're still seeing from upperclassmen players. That's a glaring aspect that is largely "coaching" IMO whereas shooting is "talent". If we can clean up the fundamentals on offense, we're NIT-good currently. Won't likely make it because of the bad losses early, but we are playing on a high enough level right now for it. The last 3 losses have been to 2 tourney and 1 NCAA bubble teams. Beat a bubble team yesterday that was a tourney lock prior to losing to us.

Jacksondevildog
02-01-2015, 10:15 AM
I agree with Engie. I don't think anyone is truly convinced that he's the answer, but this team seems to be gelling and are playing hard. We have a chance at beating Bama, Missouri 2x, Arky and Ole Miss at home. I think we finish 6-12 in the SEC and Ray will be back next year. If we don't have any ACL's explode during the summer, we may be pretty damn good next year.

engie
02-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Remember that we play 18 SEC games now...

Tennessee struggled at home with Auburn yesterday. Was losing in the second half and never led by more than 7. I'm not willing to concede that game yet.
Arkansas has been struggling the past 3 weeks as well. They struggled bigtime to put away Bama and Tennessee at Bud Walton in their two most recent games there.

We're 1-infinity on the road lately -- but I don't see that as any real reason to concede these next two on the front end. This team has, at times, seemed to shoot better on the road than at home this year for whatever reason. We shoot like we did in Oxford, and we'll have a chance in each of the next 2 IMO. We split these two, and the Bama game in the Hump just might start to give everyone deja vu to the good ole days....

MetEdDawg
02-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I agree with Engie. I don't think anyone is truly convinced that he's the answer, but this team seems to be gelling and are playing hard. We have a chance at beating Bama, Missouri 2x, Arky and Ole Miss at home. I think we finish 6-10 in the SEC and Ray will be back next year. If we don't have any ACL's explode during the summer, we may be pretty damn good next year.

I actually think we can get to 7 or even 8 wins. 10 games left in the schedule. I think we take 1 out of the 2 against Arkansas. I think we take both against Missouri. We get Alabama in Starkville and I think we can beat them. They've had a tough early schedule so their record is a bit deceiving but I still think we can win that game. So that would put us at 4 wins. Then all we have to do is find a win against UK, OM, @Vandy, @UT, and @SC. I think OM and @Vandy are possible wins.

If Ray could get us to 8 conference wins in a year where the SEC will probably put at least 4 in the NCAA Tournament and potentially even 5 or 6, I would be very pleased with that progress. Our non conference was riddled with injuries, inconsistent play because of it, and just an overall lack of confidence. It's unfortunate because we would talking about the possibility of 18-20 wins overall instead of 14-16.

Coach34
02-01-2015, 11:02 AM
All I wanted out of them is to play the way they have the last couple of weeks. That is what I expected out of this team.

Had Ready and Chicken been healthy- we wouldnt have lost those 4 awful OOC games- and we would be 14-7 right now. That is the difference in our season. It happened so we just have to fight on from here. With the way they are playing now and what we have coming in- the program finally has some hope.

mic
02-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Good article .. Last 3 paragraphs... Says it all..

chef dixon
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Remember that we play 18 SEC games now...

Tennessee struggled at home with Auburn yesterday. Was losing in the second half and never led by more than 7. I'm not willing to concede that game yet.
Arkansas has been struggling the past 3 weeks as well. They struggled bigtime to put away Bama and Tennessee at Bud Walton in their two most recent games there.

We're 1-infinity on the road lately -- but I don't see that as any real reason to concede these next two on the front end. This team has, at times, seemed to shoot better on the road than at home this year for whatever reason. We shoot like we did in Oxford, and we'll have a chance in each of the next 2 IMO. We split these two, and the Bama game in the Hump just might start to give everyone deja vu to the good ole days....

You are exactly right with this statement. This year home v. away means nothing for our team. Especially the way our crowds look. We seemingly play equal, or maybe even slightly better, on the road.

Fred Garvin
02-01-2015, 12:27 PM
One of the things we noticed yesterday is that RR seems to be overcoaching during play, I.e., the players are looking at him rather than playing their man and they get caught out of position. I like the engagement he and the players have, but he's got to move the line where he lets go.

engie
02-01-2015, 01:05 PM
One of the things we noticed yesterday is that RR seems to be overcoaching during play, I.e., the players are looking at him rather than playing their man and they get caught out of position. I like the engagement he and the players have, but he's got to move the line where he lets go.

He overcoaches quite often and doesn't seem to adjust to the flow of the game offensively very well. We have guys go to the bench right as they are getting hot in a manner that doesn't make much sense to me as well.

That said, he's a young head coach -- and more talent fixes everything... His recruiting and the incoming talent level seems to be increasing in every class going forward...

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Yep, meanwhile John Wooden and Phil Jackson barely said a word during games. John Wooden said if you have to do a lot of yelling and screaming during the game then you aren't doing your job in practice.

Wooden and Coach K basically play 5 or 6 guys the whole game. It has taken Ray a long time to get our rotations set. It has gottent better, but we are still playing too many guys. We played 10 yesterday. Fallou doesn't need 8 minutes.

Also Coach K

msstate7
02-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Yep, meanwhile John Wooden and Phil Jackson barely said a word during games. John Wooden said if you have to do a lot of yelling and screaming during the game then you aren't doing your job in practice.

Wooden and Coach K basically play 5 or 6 guys the whole game. It has taken Ray a long time to get our rotations set. It has gottent better, but we are still playing too many guys. We played 10 yesterday. Fallou doesn't need 8 minutes.

Also Coach K

Oliver black and johnson got 2 quick 1st half fouls and then quick 3rd fouls in 2nd half. I don't think ray wanted to play ndoye as much as he did

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 01:35 PM
The evidence, to me, that he isn't our long term answer is shown in one example we see over and over. Failure to get the ball in, much less a good shot, on countless out of bounds plays. That's on the coach. We should NEVER have to call a timeout bc you can't get the ball in, and you should NEVER EVER come out of a TV timeout and immediately have to call one. That's unforgivable. The job of the coach is to put players in position to succeed. He can't score for them, but he can put them in a spot to do it. Plays like that show he isn't doing his job as well as he should/can. Things like us turning the ball over because we tried to force a pass are the players not doing their jobs. Plays that he gets to draw up are failure on his lap

msstate7
02-01-2015, 01:41 PM
The evidence, to me, that he isn't our long term answer is shown in one example we see over and over. Failure to get the ball in, much less a good shot, on countless out of bounds plays. That's on the coach. We should NEVER have to call a timeout bc you can't get the ball in, and you should NEVER EVER come out of a TV timeout and immediately have to call one. That's unforgivable. The job of the coach is to put players in position to succeed. He can't score for them, but he can put them in a spot to do it. Plays like that show he isn't doing his job as well as he should/can. Things like us turning the ball over because we tried to force a pass are the players not doing their jobs. Plays that he gets to draw up are failure on his lap

I can remember young stansbury vs older stansbury in relation to set out of bounds plays. It was night and day. I do agree Ray needs to get better drawing up plays. That said if it was such a huge problem, how did we overcome this immense problem and the talent gap to win yesterday?

BTW, I watched duke-Virginia last night and both teams had to call a timeout to avoid 5 second counts

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
I can remember young stansbury vs older stansbury in relation to set out of bounds plays. It was night and day. I do agree Ray needs to get better drawing up plays. That said if it was such a huge problem, how did we overcome this immense problem and the talent gap to win yesterday?

BTW, I watched duke-Virginia last night and both teams had to call a timeout to avoid 5 second counts

I understand it happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Sometimes it's okay. Never was strong. But never does apply when you're already coming out of a timeout.

And I know he's a young coach. That's why I don't care when we have screw ups occasionally, bc that's how you learn as a team and a coach. But the same consistent screw up is a major problem. And it's inexcusable. Just like dans special team woes. There's no excuse for either

engie
02-01-2015, 02:00 PM
I think the inbounds plays are a talent problem rather than X's and O's. Ready is our only plus passer on the team, and it just so happens he's really small. That is the biggest issue imo....

Let's get a bigger guy in that can distribute -- and reevaluate the inbounds stuff then. No idea if that applies to anyone in the coming classes or not at this point. They only make passing highlight tapes of guys that play point it seems...

shannondawg
02-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Maybe they will work on that this week...

I think the inbounds plays are a talent problem rather than X's and O's. Ready is our only plus passer on the team, and it just so happens he's really small. That is the biggest issue imo....

Let's get a bigger guy in that can distribute -- and reevaluate the inbounds stuff then. No idea if that applies to anyone in the coming classes or not at this point. They only make passing highlight tapes of guys that play point it seems...

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Talent has zero to do with in bounds. At the worst, we should throw it into the backcourt. It's all a lack of good play design and lack of execution. It's 99% mental. 1% skill.

Coach34
02-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Having a munchkin throw the ball in is the biggest problem on that. I would have Daniels throw it in myself- a turnover here and there is better than burning a couple of time-outs per game.

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Having a munchkin throw the ball in is the biggest problem on that. I would have Daniels throw it in myself- a turnover here and there is better than burning a couple of time-outs per game.

Completely agree. And that, along w the actual play drawn up, are on ray.

Dawg61
02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
I feel like I'm watching ping pong with a bunch of y'all. Keep Ray, Fire Ray, Keep Ray, Fire Ray, Keep Ray, Fire Ray......

Coach34
02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Completely agree. And that, along w the actual play drawn up, are on ray.

nothing is wrong with the play- we have actually had Ware and Chicken break open in the lane on OOB plays but Ready cant get it to them. I understand the theory of your best passer throwing it in- but that theory is out of the window when he is 5'9

Dawg61
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Burn Zuppardo's shirt just for inbounds plays.**

Coach34
02-01-2015, 02:42 PM
He's not healed from the ACL yet

msstate7
02-01-2015, 02:44 PM
I feel like I'm watching ping pong with a bunch of y'all. Keep Ray, Fire Ray, Keep Ray, Fire Ray, Keep Ray, Fire Ray......

Which is why its best to let the season play out before taking a stance. I flipped out during the 5-game OOC losing streak, but I've learned my lesson.

Not that mullen and ray are on the same level of coaches, but many here were calling for mullen's head when we were 4-6 a couple of seasons ago.

engie
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Talent has zero to do with in bounds. At the worst, we should throw it into the backcourt. It's all a lack of good play design and lack of execution. It's 99% mental. 1% skill.

Passing talent and decision making is an absolutely huge part of inbounding. 99% mental? Pls

MSUDawg4Life
02-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Which is why its best to let the season play out before taking a stance. I flipped out during the 5-game OOC losing streak, but I've learned my lesson.

Not that mullen and ray are on the same level of coaches, but many here were calling for mullen's head when we were 4-6 a couple of seasons ago.

Yep. Some of our fans are way too emotional and make snap judgments. It's best to calm down and let things play out over the season.

The same thing is going to happen during the upcoming baseball season despite Cohen's success in the past.

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
nothing is wrong with the play- we have actually had Ware and Chicken break open in the lane on OOB plays but Ready cant get it to them. I understand the theory of your best passer throwing it in- but that theory is out of the window when he is 5'9

There are things wrong with the play. How could anyone argue that. They dont get guys open consistently. That's on Ray. When the play does get someone open though, like you said, we can't get it to them. And that's also on Ray to make a change.

You'd expect Ray to be slow to see things considering he's a young head coach. Like yesterday he was about two possessions slow to get out of the zone for a while when Mickey I think it was was gashing the middle and the offensive glass. But he did eventually see that, and made a change. You'd expect a young coach to be slow to see it but to see it eventually bc it's hard to grasp the flow of games like that and you'll just have to get better with time. It's not hard to grasp, over the course of many many weeks, that it's inexcusable to burn two timeouts a game on inbounds.

Btw, the two we burned yesterday were less than two minutes in and the other was immediately following a TV timeout. That's not ok.

DudyDawg
02-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Passing talent and decision making is an absolutely huge part of inbounding. 99% mental? Pls

Is decision making mental or physical? Seems like you're point is supportive of my theory that it is mental.

I'm not even talking about making a good pass into a shooting pocket or threading a needle. I'm talking about literally putting the ball into a teammates hands inside the lines. It does not take skill to get a ball in before 5 seconds. We can't even do that. Much less make plays and get shots

Fred Garvin
02-01-2015, 03:54 PM

I agree. You want a big guy throwing it in. Better visibility. Better angles.

Dawg61
02-01-2015, 05:48 PM

Use Ware. He's a good passer imo.

Coach34
02-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Use Ware. He's a good passer imo.

Need Ware in the play for an inside presence

msstate7
02-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Need Ware in the play for an inside presence

The inbound plays we've scored on are immediate midrange jumpers by ware

HoopsDawg
02-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Also, when your play doesn't work, you need your quickest player available to get open.