PDA

View Full Version : "Every team in the SEC has QB concerns going into bext season." - McElroy, SEC Now

blacklistedbully
01-29-2015, 11:22 AM
When reviewing, by category, which teams have the biggest area of need, that is what he said.

Then when he went team-by-team, he said, "MSU because, who do they have behind Prescott?"

I like McElroy, aside from his Bama homerism, but his assessment in this case just seems stupid to me. It's the one area we would seem to have a significant advantage, in spades, over every other SEC team, yet we're no better than any other team?

Seems to me, the category that is usually the most impactful for teams is the returning QB position.

I seen it dawg
01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
The talking heads get dumber and dumber every yr.

FISHDAWG
01-29-2015, 11:30 AM
When reviewing, by category, which teams have the biggest area of need, that is what he said.

Then when he went team-by-team, he said, "MSU because, who do they have behind Prescott?"

I like McElroy, aside from his Bama homerism, but his assessment in this case just seems stupid to me. It's the one area we would seem to have a significant advantage, in spades, over every other SEC team, yet we're no better than any other team?

Seems to me, the category that is usually the most impactful for teams is the returning QB position.

to be fair all we have seen so far is D Williams

messageboardsuperhero
Our backup QB situation is certainly no more questionable than anyone else's.

bluelightstar
I'd rather be worried about who my #2 is than who my #1 is.

Homedawg
01-29-2015, 11:38 AM
I'd rather be worried about who my #2 is than who my #1 is.

Absolutely.!!!!!

dawgpound
01-29-2015, 11:56 AM
we are the only team with a proven starter

Coach34
01-29-2015, 11:57 AM
to be fair all we have seen so far is D Williams

What have we seen from anybody's back-up???

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Well it will be a whole lot better than it was in 2014. Williams is a year more experienced in the system and now you have options in Fitz and Staley that weren't there this past season. If QB depth is a concern in this coming season this it was a MAJOR concern this past season. But no matter, if Dak were to go down we obviously become a much worse team. That's true of most teams losing their starting QB (except Ohio State).

starkvegasdawg
01-29-2015, 12:16 PM

We saw Kinkaide throw a pass backwards.

MaroonDawg25
01-29-2015, 12:24 PM

HA! I had the privilege to see that on the jumbotron before the Vandy game.

TrapGame
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM

He's so damn good he can throw it backwards to complete a forward pass.*

Jack Lambert
01-29-2015, 12:30 PM

So under that theory we had issues all last season.

yjnkdawg
01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
He's so damn good he can throw it backwards to complete a forward pass.*

That was a trick backward pass play that Freeze drew up, but the slot receiver wasn't on the same page as the quarterback lol.

BulldogDX55
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
we are the only team with a proven starter

Dobbs for Tennessee will be quite good. Also, Mauk for Mizzou is good. However, I would obviously not trade Dak for anyone in the whole country, with the only team making me think about it is one of OSU's guys.

EAVdog
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
I think a good argument could be made that Damien Williams is better right now than Anthony Jennings.

smootness
01-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Exactly. Did anyone this year say, 'Oregon has QB concerns because, I mean, who do they have behind the Heisman trophy frontrunner?' Or, 'FSU has QB concerns because, with Coker gone, who do they have behind the Heisman trophy winner?'

No, because that's a stupid way to evaluate, especially in college.

Howboutdemdogs
01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Slow news day, they have to talk about something.

messageboardsuperhero
01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Outside of Ohio State, I can't think of a single team in America off the top of my head who has fewer QB concerns going into next season.

smootness
01-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Outside of Ohio State, I can't think of a single team in America off the top of my head who has fewer QB concerns going into next season.

And even with them, you could make a case that our starter is better than theirs and that having 2-3 proven guys could end up being more of a problem than a blessing.

The bottom line is, if you return Dak Prescott and he's currently healthy, you don't have QB concerns.

archdog
01-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Ohio State's was pretty good. Ask Bama.

GTHOM
01-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Between him, chizik and booger the SEC network has got to step their game up. I quit listening to them about midseason. Damian Williams has played well when he has played. Just nitpicking a way to put us down. Kind of like the ''MSU lost all their good players'' crap

defiantdog
01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
I think a good argument could be made that Damien Williams is better right now than Anthony Jennings.

Jennings was a 4* athlete with all kinds of offers coming out of high school. No way he's not elite********************************************* **********************

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Jennings was a 4* athlete with all kinds of offers coming out of high school. No way he's not elite********************************************* **********************

Exactly, and how could Florida allow Driskel to transfer? He was a freakin' 5 STAR!!!!

Political Hack
01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
what else is he supposed to say if he knocks the QB depth across the SEC?

Damien didn't play great last year and the other two are unproven, despite being incredibly talented.

smootness
01-29-2015, 03:03 PM
what else is he supposed to say if he knocks the QB depth across the SEC?

Damien didn't play great last year and the other two are unproven, despite being incredibly talented.

The question wasn't about QB depth; it was, 'Who has QB concerns?' And he included us specifically in saying that everyone does.

That's crazy.