PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article. How can this happen?

gtowndawg
01-29-2015, 10:51 AM
No offers at all? No DII school at least? Weird.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true?is_shared=true

codeDawg
01-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Sounds like we should be recruiting New Mexico....

Westdawg
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
i coached HS football in New Mexico for the last 5 years prior to coming back to the south. The kid is legit. I have seen film of him when facing like opponents. He can absolutely sling the football. And everything this article says about the state in regards to being an anomaly for recruiting is absolutely true. The school i was at had a kid that led us to 3 straight championship games. As fast and quick as any QB i have seen and a great arm. Absolutely no schoolies aside from a DII school down the road. Nobody goes there to recruit. I look at it as like recruiting the state of MS. lots of schools spread WAY apart and no one ever goes to recruit like that anymore hardly. The difference b/t NM and MS is that here, you can drive for a a couple hours and see several small school tucked off a high in the small towns....NM you are going to drive a couple hours to find one school. It's just hard. But the level of coaching in New Mexico, especially from 3A and up, is absolutely phenomenal !! I learned more from those guys about coaching in the time i was there than anywhere else i have ever been. I hate it for this kid. Kyle Henderson, the head of NMPreps, has spent a few years really trying to help get players like this kid recruited. He is kinda biased about some programs and some coaches don't like him because of it, but honestly, i have never seen another recruiting site do all they can to promote their state's athletes the way he does.

Westdawg
01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Sounds like we should be recruiting New Mexico....

i will be glad to give you the names and numbers of some of the best coaches and teams in the state. got them in my phone and still talk regularly with most of them.

quickstrike2
01-29-2015, 11:22 AM
That's amazing. With all of the college football programs and quarterback being as needed as it is, I'm a little surprised absolutely no one has offered him. Undoubtedly he finds a small school somewhere. I don't believe the USM's of the world are all good to go with so much amazing talent at the quarterback spot that they can't spare another one.

thf24
01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
There's got to be a catch left out of that article. At first glance, he has EVERYTHING characteristic of an elite QB recruit. No way he simply went unnoticed with film on the internet and the camps he supposedly went to.

Westdawg
01-29-2015, 11:29 AM
There's got to be a catch left out of that article. At first glance, he has EVERYTHING characteristic of an elite QB recruit. No way he simply went unnoticed with film on the internet and the camps he supposedly went to.

nope, no catch. kid just was completely left off the radar. I can count about 6-10 athletes each year the past few years in that state who went through the same thing. Now, i am not saying they are BIG 5 conference types, but definite DI players who, for no real reason, never get a scholarship. There are a couple DII schools in west TX, AZ, and NM that make their living off of those kids because they honestly have no business ever seeing DII aside from being overlooked.

MabenMaroon
01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Shhhh!!! The could be bearsharks lurking, don't want to tip them off now***

smootness
01-29-2015, 08:48 PM
No offers at all? No DII school at least? Weird.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true?is_shared=true

I don't ever take articles like that at face value. From digging just a little, I've found a few things:

1) Rivals lists him at 6'1", so he may not have the size that article suggests.
2) Apparently there are questions over the quickness of his release and velocity on his throws.
3) New Mexico competition isn't great, so I'm sure people are slower to buy into the numbers.
4) He isn't very athletic.
5) He evidently threw a lot more INTs as a junior, so people may be hesitant, especially at the time he camped before having a much better senior year.

I haven't watched his video, so I can't tell you all of these things are fact. But if he went to camps and has his video out there, his lack of scholarship offers has far more to do with legitimate questions than this article would suggest. 'He had great HS stats' isn't really an effective argument for being deserving of D1 offers in and of itself.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of the tone of the article. If they're missing out on you, go to JUCO and prove it, a la Aaron Rodgers.

Quaoarsking
01-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Even if this article overblows him a little, you'd think some Sun Belt school would give him an offer. Maybe that Sun Belt school in New Mexico (NMSU) that hasn't been to a bowl since 1960? Or any of them really.

Dawgowar
01-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Shhhh!!! The could be bearsharks lurking, don't want to tip them off now***

No worries. The network won't go there. Scary bugs, climate bad for their complexion's and starched shirts. Not to mention they find torqoise rope ties tacky.

bulldawg28
01-30-2015, 10:18 AM
I read an article where it says he's 6'3.The dude looks like he's 5'9 or 5'10 from a picture of him squatting. Aka mini Favre.

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't ever take articles like that at face value. From digging just a little, I've found a few things:

1) Rivals lists him at 6'1", so he may not have the size that article suggests.
2) Apparently there are questions over the quickness of his release and velocity on his throws.
3) New Mexico competition isn't great, so I'm sure people are slower to buy into the numbers.
4) He isn't very athletic.
5) He evidently threw a lot more INTs as a junior, so people may be hesitant, especially at the time he camped before having a much better senior year.

I haven't watched his video, so I can't tell you all of these things are fact. But if he went to camps and has his video out there, his lack of scholarship offers has far more to do with legitimate questions than this article would suggest. 'He had great HS stats' isn't really an effective argument for being deserving of D1 offers in and of itself.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of the tone of the article. If they're missing out on you, go to JUCO and prove it, a la Aaron Rodgers.

Smpot, he is right now a little over 6'2 , and while he is not the greatest QB to ever live, the kid can sling it and would probably do very well at a sunbelt level school. Or even a school like Fresno. I honestly have no idea why UNM never offered him. I have kind of scratched my head some at how Bob Davies has recruited
As for the state of New Mexico having sub-par football, I can tell you that many schools in the new classifications alignments of 4-6a on a regular basis beat most all schools of similar size and classification out of the states of TX,CO, and AZ. I thought the same thing until I got there and started coaching in the state. The nbet one issue is that almost no one recruits the state because of how spread out it is. Yes, Rio Rancho is part of the greater metroplex in the state, but basically you have to fly into ABQ or Santa Fe or Las Cruces and you can hit 20 schools or more and the you have to drive a few hours to get to a single town outside of those.
The Jones kid from Artesia is one of the few that made it out and ended up as the qb at Oklahoma.
And there is a TON of money pumped into a severa of those top programs - full size indoor practice facilities, large scale weight-training and conditioning facilities....it is unbelievable what is really done in that state for football. I guarantee you that Rio Rancho this season would probably beat all the top competition in MS with maybe the only exception being SP. and that's a big maybe. There are about 8- 10 programs there that should get a lot more recruiting exposure than they receive. I have coached in MS, TN, and NM...there is good talent there to be had

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Even if this article overblows him a little, you'd think some Sun Belt school would give him an offer. Maybe that Sun Belt school in New Mexico (NMSU) that hasn't been to a bowl since 1960? Or any of them really.

NMSU signed multiple QBs last year. Their coach staff hopes toove some of them around as athletes but it still is what it is. UNM is a major head scratcher. The biggest thing is Davies is trying to implement a run-option oriented offense and this kid doesn't for it at all

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 11:01 AM
And I hear ya on the juco route. But again, the best juco football is either back in MS or Kansas. There are some jucos in TX, but the talent level is nowhere near as strong because of the sheer number of colleges in the state in all classifications. Playrrs are pretty well picked over by the time jucos get a chance at them. And the California jucos are very easily able to find good QBs from their own state. Bottom line this kid is gonna have to travel to play juco if that's what he wants to do

smootness
01-30-2015, 12:03 PM
And I hear ya on the juco route. But again, the best juco football is either back in MS or Kansas. There are some jucos in TX, but the talent level is nowhere near as strong because of the sheer number of colleges in the state in all classifications. Playrrs are pretty well picked over by the time jucos get a chance at them. And the California jucos are very easily able to find good QBs from their own state. Bottom line this kid is gonna have to travel to play juco if that's what he wants to do

I appreciate your thoughts. I will say, though, that you very rarely see articles like this and then see the kid tear it up down the road and prove them right. More often than not, the schools are proven right by not going after them. That's obviously a general statement; it may not apply to Bruere, he may be legit; but there have to be real reasons outside of 'who knows' that no one has given him a chance.

With regard to your other points, Arizona is arguably the 4th biggest state for JUCO football. There are plenty of options right there.

It's also tough for me to justify other schools going harder into NM when all this overlooked talent is leading to two currently terrible programs is UNM and NMSU. If they were consistently getting talent that is deserving of better offers, you would see it on the field.

sleepy dawg
01-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Makes me wonder if this is some kind of Renardo Sidney situation. His dad is a coach and runs a QB camp... no clue, but I still think there's something out there that's not being mentioned that everyone who's recruited this kid knows about.

I mean, the word is out now. There are numerous coaches who have no doubt heard about this guy now. He's received tons of letters. People know about him and have seen his film. No matter how many times Westdawg says there isn't, there's more to this.

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes, 4th best state for juco. By here is a HUGE drop off in talent between TX and AR jucos. And it's not even close

As for the instate schools - you get what you pay for in coaches. The best coach either school ha e had in a long time is bob Davies at UNM. Both schools thumb their nose at the football programs especially NMSU. At least at UNM Davies has them believing and beginning to invest again. It is quite astonishing to see the ineptness of the administrations at both schools.
Also realize that you are looking at a state more than twice the size of MS with more than 75% of population in/near 3 cities. It is very possible to find alternate players that would come from other and easier recruiting beds.

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Makes me wonder if this is some kind of Renardo Sidney situation. His dad is a coach and runs a QB camp... no clue, but I still think there's something out there that's not being mentioned that everyone who's recruited this kid knows about
I mean, the word is out now. There are numerous coaches who have no doubt heard about this guy now. He's received tons of letters. People know about him and have seen his film. No matter how many times Westdawg says there isn't, there's more to this.

Well, his dad can be a bit "over the top". But kid is good enough to play at lower level FBS schools. But as I have said before, I saw 10 or more kids a year in that state that suffered the same problem. Good enough but never got the chance.

M.Fillmore
01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
And I hear ya on the juco route. But again, the best juco football is either back in MS or Kansas.

FWIW, I talked to a guy who had coached Juco in Kansas and Mississippi. He said, while there are exceptions, typically the top Kansas teams would be mid-tier in Mississippi. He said, and I agree, that Ms Juco is bad to the bone.

smootness
01-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Well, his dad can be a bit "over the top". But kid is good enough to play at lower level FBS schools. But as I have said before, I saw 10 or more kids a year in that state that suffered the same problem. Good enough but never got the chance.

Ultimately, if this were true, the problem would correct itself. It became obvious that MS talent was better than thought to be when a Southern Miss started having tons of success and seeing players drafted.

If there were a bunch of guys in NM that simply no one knew about, you would either have those schools winning more or producing more talent, and others would take notice.

The fact that Bruere has letters from everywhere but no offers shows people know about him. A kid like Chris Jones wasn't getting letters from schools; he was legitimately overlooked. Hard to make that case for Bruere.

Westdawg
01-30-2015, 03:55 PM
When you go to camps or send your video, you automatically are added to mail out lists. Think of how many MS athletes were overlooked or went to DII and SWAC schools before USM and ultimately OM and MSU began to pay attention. There is a great DII school in NM that has competed at a very high level with a ton of NM athletes - ENMU. also West Tx A&M has a really good program. They grab up a ton of lower FBS talent and it translates into solid programs.
As I said before, there's about 10+ kids that fit this mold in the state each year. Some are low end talent, but sometimes there is 1-2 of them who are studs that never find a place.

Someone above said Chris Jones - if he had not been offered by MSU, what would have happened? The #1 reason he began to get other looks was because he got a real offer from an SEC school and commited. If that doesn't happen, it was going to be hard for him to gain interest.
Those that coach HS FB or that really dive headfirst into recruiting fail to see that if you are not showing out by your junior campaign, you don't get much attention. And the only thing that does is to have a stud camp showing and following it up with a monster senior yr.....and sometimes that is still not enough.

smootness
01-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Someone above said Chris Jones - if he had not been offered by MSU, what would have happened? The #1 reason he began to get other looks was because he got a real offer from an SEC school and commited. If that doesn't happen, it was going to be hard for him to gain interest.
Those that coach HS FB or that really dive headfirst into recruiting fail to see that if you are not showing out by your junior campaign, you don't get much attention. And the only thing that does is to have a stud camp showing and following it up with a monster senior yr.....and sometimes that is still not enough.

Chris Jones went to one camp, and his talent was immediately evident, and he got the offer that started it all. Breuer has evidently been to a bunch of camps, yet no offers. Again, this is not a Chris Jones type case.