PDA

View Full Version : coach, a question

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed you on OOB yesterday. Honestly, I enjoyed the fact that you were on and the reactions more than the substance of the interview, but it was cool. During the interview you told Bo that your reason for writing the playbook was not to generate the reaction you did, but instead to educate our fans. My question is, why do our fans need to be educated on their methods?

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
To have a basic understanding of what we are up against. I've never said one time we didn't do anything ourselves or anything of the like. But we aren't playing the game at the level that they are. And that's why you will not see us have bigtime recruits from Chicago, LA, and other places coming to campus. Just look at the history- any bigtime recruit has been fairly local.

The he reason all this has caused such a big stink is because the BearSharks want people to believe these recruits come in because Freezus is such a good recruiter and Oxford is soooo awesome!!!! But no- these recruits come visit them because they are getting paid a few grand in cash to come there.

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Why can't we get better at it. While I love the redshirt program, I don't think it can have us consistently competing with the Bama's/LSU/Auburn's year in and year out for championships. If Ole Miss can "play the game", and we know our other competitors in the SEC West can do it (sans Arkansas, I guess?), then why can't we? Or, do we even need to?

mparkerfd20
01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Why can't we get better at it. While I love the redshirt program, I don't think it can have us consistently competing with the Bama's/LSU/Auburn's year in and year out for championships. If Ole Miss can "play the game", and we know our other competitors in the SEC West can do it (sans Arkansas, I guess?), then why can't we? Or, do we even need to?

2 words... Bracky. Brett.

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2015, 09:22 AM
To have a basic understanding of what we are up against. I've never said one time we didn't do anything ourselves or anything of the like. But we aren't playing the game at the level that they are. And that's why you will not see us have bigtime recruits from Chicago, LA, and other places coming to campus. Just look at the history- any bigtime recruit has been fairly local.

The he reason all this has caused such a big stink is because the BearSharks want people to believe these recruits come in because Freezus is such a good recruiter and Oxford is soooo awesome!!!! But no- these recruits come visit them because they are getting paid a few grand in cash to come there.

Well said Coach.

Personally, I feel that one of the misunderstandings when we talk about this type of stuff and what frustrates me is when fans say, "Well, everybody does it."

It's true, every contender is college football does this type of stuff to some degree, however, not every team does it to the same level.

My best analogy to this would be speeding on the highway. It's likely true that everyone speeds. Everyone goes 75 in a 70 speed zone or maybe even 79-80 in a 70 mph speed zone. However, it's generally understood, that while you may get a ticket for speeding at those speeds, at least you are generally respecting the laws of the road, and not giving the speed limit the middle finger.

Conversely, there is a difference in the guy that is generally respecting the law of the land by speeding by 5-10 mph so that he doesn't get run over, and the guy that zooms by you at 110 in a 70 mph speed zone. Both guys are speeding, but there is a major difference in the agenda and respectfulness of the law of each driver. The guy going 5-10 over the speed limit still respects the law, while the guy going 110 behaves in a manner that would indicate that he doesn't respect law enforcement or the unwritten, best for society, rules of the road.

MSU speeds so it doesn't get run over, while still respecting the spirit of the law

Ole Miss speeds without regard for the laws and regulations that have been put in place for the betterment of society.

So, YES, everyone does it, but there is a major major difference in spirit and level in which you do it.

My guess is the MSU administration and "Network" is caught at a cross roads. Do we continue to speed by 5-10 mph in hopes of not getting run over, or do we give the Laws of the Land the middle finger and just go all out.

Is that what we want MSU to be?

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 09:25 AM
2 words... Bracky. Brett.

I may be stupid, but I'm not buying that. You either know how to do this outside of your administration or you don't. The compliance officer should have no bearing unless the people outside the administration don't know what the hell they're doing.

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Well said Coach.

Personally, I feel that one of the misunderstandings when we talk about this type of stuff and what frustrates me is when fans say, "Well, everybody does it."

It's true, every contender is college football does this type of stuff to some degree, however, not every team does it to the same level.

My best analogy to this would be speeding on the highway. It's likely true that everyone speeds. Everyone goes 75 in a 70 speed zone or maybe even 79-80 in a 70 mph speed zone. However, it's generally understood, that while you may get a ticket for speeding at those speeds, at least you are generally respecting the laws of the road, and not giving the speed limit the middle finger.

Conversely, there is a difference in the guy that is generally respecting the law of the land by speeding by 5-10 mph so that he doesn't get run over, and the guy that zooms by you at 110 in a 70 mph speed zone. Both guys are speeding, but there is a major difference in the agenda and respectfulness of the law of each driver. The guy going 5-10 over the speed limit still respects the law, while the guy going 110 behaves in a manner that would indicate that he doesn't respect law enforcement or the unwritten, best for society, rules of the road.

MSU speeds so it doesn't get run over, while still respecting the spirit of the law

Ole Miss speeds without regard for the laws and regulations that have been put in place for the betterment of society.

So, YES, everyone does it, but there is a major major difference in spirit and level in which you do it.

Well, according to coach, Ole Miss, along with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee (and I'm sure others) are all speeding with wreckless disregard for the law, yet none of them are getting speeding tickets. We, on the other hand, got a speeding ticket for doing 75 while the cops smiled at these other assholes zooming by. Maybe we need to look at what we're doing?

Apoplectic
01-29-2015, 09:29 AM
I may be stupid, but I'm not buying that. You either know how to do this outside of your administration or you don't. The compliance officer should have no bearing unless the people outside the administration don't know what the hell they're doing.

Mole

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Well, according to coach, Ole Miss, along with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee (and I'm sure others) are all speeding with wreckless disregard for the law, yet none of them are getting speeding tickets. We, on the other hand, got a speeding ticket for doing 75 while the cops smiled at these other assholes zooming by. Maybe we need to look at what we're doing?

True.... Maybe we need a new pair of glasses so that we can read the speed limit. Perhaps we are an old person that needs to adapt to new times.

My point is that when you decide to stop going 80 mph in a 70 mph speed zone, and instead decide that you want to go 100 mph in a 70 mph speed zone, there is a clear decision to step over the line.

When you are driving slow, you are still going slow enough to pump the brakes and make an attempt to not get caught. When you start going 100+, you are making a conscious decision that you don't give a shit about getting caught.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:35 AM
What we are doing just led us to the best season and highest ranking a Mississippi team has had in over 50 years...only an idiot would change now

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 09:41 AM
What we are doing just led us to the best season and highest ranking a Mississippi team has had in over 50 years...only an idiot would change now

Which is why I asked if we even need to change. I'm not convinced that we do (although I'm more worried about the trajectory of the OM program than many on here). But if we don't, then I'm done giving a damn about what the Bears do in recruiting and I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. If we've PROVEN that we can be better than them, despite them outrecruiting us, then we should just let our work stand on its own. The only thing our consternation does is bring more attention to the Bear program. Hell, now that I'm typing and thinking about this, we always talk about them "winning the press conference", yet, to a degree, it's our insistence on continuing to discuss their recruiting the assists in keeping it in the spotlight--at least locally.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:46 AM
They are only recruiting better than us in rankings only. Shirley you aren't stupid enough to think they are more talented than us. We had a better offense this year- they had a better D. And hell, we still might have 2 1st round draft picks in April. Home field team won again as they always do.

This November we will win again and all will be right with the world.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:57 AM
We just had the 6th best offense in SEC history this past season. 6th best in history.

Are you trying to tell me we aren't very talented?

thedawg
01-29-2015, 09:59 AM
But the Oline sucks*

dawgpound
01-29-2015, 10:03 AM
They are only recruiting better than us in rankings only. Shirley you aren't stupid enough to think they are more talented than us. We had a better offense this year- they had a better D. And hell, we still might have 2 1st round draft picks in April. Home field team won again as they always do.

but what concerns me is the trend with them pulling in better recruits than us. I agree that this past year we had better talent than them but since Freeze has been there they have been recruiting on a level above us and I feel like in a couple of years the talent will greatly shift to their side if we dont improve ours. I know we develop players very well but TSUN hasn't recruited players like they are right now in the past.

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:10 AM
It would appear that we are both going to be a really good team for the foreseeable future.. I hate there stinking guts but they are bringing in talent... So are we.. what a fun time to be a college football fan in this state... Maybe we can get a few years of what Auburn and Alabama have enjoyed for so long

Tdawg
01-29-2015, 10:21 AM
but what concerns me is the trend with them pulling in better recruits than us. I agree that this past year we had better talent than them but since Freeze has been there they have been recruiting on a level above us and I feel like in a couple of years the talent will greatly shift to their side if we dont improve ours. I know we develop players very well but TSUN hasn't recruited players like they are right now in the past.

This is my thought too. The day after the 2011 season ended, we had just gone 16-10 the previous two seasons while they were 6-18. We had just beaten them 3 straight times by an average score of 34-16. Now, only 3 years later, they've beaten 2 out of three with the average score of the 3 games being 28-19-/that's a 27 point swing in their favor.

In Mullen's first 3 years we won 21 games while they won 15. In the last 3 years we've won 25 and they've won 24.

I do have trouble reconciling these thoughts with the fact that we are on an unprecedented run and just had our best season ever, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned with what's going on in oxford. If nothing else, it seems like they're recruiting has closed what was a VERY wide gap just 3 years ago.

MadDawg
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
This is my thought too. The day after the 2011 season ended, we had just gone 16-10 the previous two seasons while they were 6-18. We had just beaten them 3 straight times by an average score of 34-16. Now, only 3 years later, they've beaten 2 out of three with the average score of the 3 games being 28-19-/that's a 27 point swing in their favor.

They've won 2 home games. How is this that hard to understand? 27 point swing? wtf? That's stupid.

In Mullen's first 3 years we won 21 games while they won 15. In the last 3 years we've won 25 and they've won 24.

So Mullen was better than the plantation BEFORE freezus and he's better than the plantation AFTER freezus. Thank you for pointing that out.

I do have trouble reconciling these thoughts with the fact that we are on an unprecedented run and just had our best season ever, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned with what's going on in oxford. If nothing else, it seems like they're recruiting has closed what was a VERY wide gap just 3 years ago.

I'm sure having Houston Nutt going out in a flames had nothing to do with that "wide gap" three years ago. No it's certainly not that. Can't be.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Freeze has yet to finish ahead of Mullen in the West in 3 tries. That is the only trend that matters

M.Fillmore
01-29-2015, 10:45 AM
The comedy was served by the OOB callers who talked about the "National Brand" that is Oxford.
Hmm, which of these doesn't fit? Austin...Gainesville...South Beach...Grenada without the lake.

cheewgumm
01-29-2015, 10:57 AM
I'd just like o find a way to pull a few more 4 and 5 stars. I think Mullen would do wonders with a few more.

In fact, on all honesty of some school like LSU got Mullen where recruiting took care of itself, I think he'd win a Nagional Championship.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 11:17 AM
The comedy was served by the OOB callers who talked about the "National Brand" that is Oxford.
Hmm, which of these doesn't fit? Austin...Gainesville...South Beach...Grenada without the lake.

That is what's so hilarious about their spin. There's not a black 17 yr old in Dallas, Texas that knows anything about Oxford, Miss except that that had a race war there in the 1960's to enroll a black student. And that's of they have even remember that's where the Meredith stuff happened. They visit Oxford from far off places for a simple reason- and it damn sure ain't their "brand"

solodawg
01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
I'd just like o find a way to pull a few more 4 and 5 stars. I think Mullen would do wonders with a few more.

In fact, on all honesty of some school like LSU got Mullen where recruiting took care of itself, I think he'd win a Nagional Championship.
I totally agree with this statement. If Mullen was at LSU, Auburn, Georgia, or even Fl, for the past 5 or 6 years I really believe he would have at least one NC if not more. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a much better coach than Freeze and several others in the SEC. My opinion is, OM has taken advantage of the NCAA being down over the last couple of years. The NCAA doesn't throw it's weight around nearly as much because of the target on it's back from the power 5 conferences.

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Well said Coach.

My guess is the MSU administration and "Network" is caught at a cross roads. Do we continue to speed by 5-10 mph in hopes of not getting run over, or do we give the Laws of the Land the middle finger and just go all out.

Is that what we want MSU to be?

The problem in this analogy is that there are currently no highway patrolmen on the roadways. The highway patrolmen are still around but they've lost all incentive to do the work to catch the speeders. The only people getting ticketed are those that drive to the highway patrol office and turn themselves in but ask for leniency because of their honesty.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2015, 02:09 PM
My only problem with this whole OM is going to bury us with all this talent is that it's conveniently ignoring the fact that we're pulling in a top 15-20 class this year with a legit shot at the same next year. It's like people are seeing OM recruiting while completely ignoring the fact that our recruiting is trending toward doing better than Mullen ever has in his tenure. We've always said well imagine what Mullen could do with top 15-20 classes. We're soon about to find out.

Political Hack
01-29-2015, 02:11 PM
My only problem with this whole OM is going to bury us with all this talent is that it's conveniently ignoring the fact that we're pulling in a top 15-20 class this year with a legit shot at the same next year. It's like people are seeing OM recruiting while completely ignoring the fact that our recruiting is trending toward doing better than Mullen ever has in his tenure. We've always said well imagine what Mullen could do with top 15-20 classes. We're soon about to find out.

I'll take the type of kids we're getting over the type they're getting 6 times a week and twice on Sunday.

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Freeze has yet to finish ahead of Mullen in the West in 3 tries. That is the only trend that matters

Yes, that trend matters a lot but I wouldn't say that its all that matters. Being beaten soundly by OM 2 of the last 3 years (our win was in OT) matters as well. I don't like that trend AT ALL.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 03:21 PM
It only went to OT because our starting QB didn't play the first 3 quarters

Would they have beaten us soundly if Blade had been the QB the first 3Q's this past November? **** no they wouldn't

Really Clark?
01-29-2015, 03:32 PM

Exactly!! And when you recalculate their roster after all of their attrition and guys who committ to only pushed their rankings up, Brassell, then you see that we are pretty even in talent accross the board.

Percho
01-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Tell me if this past year our D would have been better under a different concept of D? Say like a JLD run D?

And I know. Time has passed, however?

Dawgcentral
01-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Our D needed to be more aggressive for sure, but the JLD D would be like wet toilet paper these days.

The quick slants and bubble screens would gain easy yards. The no huddle would have the opposing defense scrambling toward assignments, opening up draw plays up the gut. JLD was a great innovator, and brought an exciting brand of defense, I just believe that time has passed for now.