PDA

View Full Version : Danger zone for ray

msstate7
01-29-2015, 08:40 AM
We've played much better the last 5 games, but we're only 2-3 in that stretch. We now play...

Lsu
At tenn
At ark
Bama

Ray desparately needs a win Saturday. If the team isn't rewarded with a win soon, I'm afraid they'll lay down. If that happens, ray is most likely toast. I don't think Scott is looking to fire ray, so staying competitive will most likely get ray another year. I just don't see ray keeping this team playing hard if they aren't getting rewarded with a win.

thedawg
01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
I agree on all points...We play like we have the last five games and Ray returns... We have to find some wins

Coach34
01-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Ray is 100% going to be back next year. Firing won't even be considered.

And this source is as good as it gets

drunkernhelldawg
01-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I personally feel like we have our basketball team back. I don't agree with dumping Ray at this point. We have been idiots for offering on-the-job training, but it looks to me like he is getting better as time goes on. We made such a big damn mess that we might as well let it play out. Of course I'd rather be winning, but competing is the first step to winning. Just not being a pushover anymore is significant progress, sorry to say.

thedawg
01-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I kind of figured as much... This season hasn't been as successful as we had all hoped but I think you would be hard pressed to make a case that we aren't a better basketball team than we have been. It sucks I want to be in the tournament discussion every year too. At the end of the day Ray needs to be able to see this through with Gavin and Chicken as seniors. I will say this and I am very very patient when it comes to giving coaches the benefit of the doubt: Next year he needs to be in the NIT or he needs to be fired. No excuses, no injuries... NIT or fired next year period.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:09 AM
If we can continue to play like we did last nite- I'm for keeping him another year. We play hard and we know what to do- we just aren't that talented in places to do it.

Recruiting is getting better- no off the court BS. Black and Houston were solid signees and going to get better. There is some hope finally

msstate7
01-29-2015, 09:09 AM
I kind of figured as much... This season hasn't been as successful as we had all hoped but I think you would be hard pressed to make a case that we aren't a better basketball team than we have been. It sucks I want to be in the tournament discussion every year too. At the end of the day Ray needs to be able to see this through with Gavin and Chicken as seniors. I will say this and I am very very patient when it comes to giving coaches the benefit of the doubt: Next year he needs to be in the NIT or he needs to be fired. No excuses, no injuries... NIT or fired next year period.

Agree

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-29-2015, 09:26 AM

If we lose out I don't see how you can bring back a coach that is 2-16 in SEC play. That being said, I think we get to 4 wins. Ray is now 9-33 that's a tough sell especially when girls games are outdrawing men's games. I'll be interested to see how the season plays out. Keep in mind as we move into February, Rick Ray has never won a game in the month February. #Mr.February

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
It's frustrating that we lost when Chicken played like Stephen Curry and we shot 56% from the field.

msstate7
01-29-2015, 09:30 AM
If we lose out I don't see how you can bring back a coach that is 2-16 in SEC play. That being said, I think we get to 4 wins. Ray is now 9-33 that's a tough sell especially when girls games are outdrawing men's games. I'll be interested to see how the season plays out. Keep in mind as we move into February, Rick Ray has never won a game in the month February. #Mr.February

Yikes...

Feb schedule:

At tenn
At ark
Bama
At mizzou
OM
Ark
Kentucky
At USCe

I'm pretty confident ray gets that elusive feb win this year. I'm saying it's kentucky*

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:31 AM

0% chance he gets fired

TheDogFather
01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
0% chance he gets fired

Greater men have fallen when speaking in absolutes.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Greater men have fallen when speaking in absolutes.

Yep. But this assurance comes from the top. He's gonna get Year 4

thedawg
01-29-2015, 09:38 AM
I would have said 0% chance Croom was going to get fired before the Ole Miss game and then 45-0 happened.... I do think there is a slim chance Ray gets fired especially if we continue to play with high effort and are in basketball games... Now we drop the last four in February by 35-40 a game and all bets are off

Coach34
01-29-2015, 09:41 AM
I would have said 0% chance Croom was going to get fired before the Ole Miss game and then 45-0 happened.... I do think there is a slim chance Ray gets fired especially if we continue to play with high effort and are in basketball games... Now we drop the last four in February by 35-40 a game and all bets are off

Croom was done after the Ga Tech loss in 2008. If Ole Missus had beaten us on a last second FG- he was still done. Byrne was going to make every demand possible on him to make sure he would say no and to fire him

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-29-2015, 10:01 AM
I just don't understand why we would bring him back, at what point do wins start to matter? We are in Year 3 and we still are trying to sell moral victories? Someone explain it to me. We have 2 conference wins and he is already guaranteed Year 4? What is Stricklin thinking?

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Croom was done after the Ga Tech loss in 2008. If Ole Missus had beaten us on a last second FG- he was still done. Byrne was going to make every demand possible on him to make sure he would say no and to fire him

Biggest difference was Croom wasn't Byrne's guy whereas Ray IS Stricklin's guy. But no matter what percentages are stated now it may be a different story at year end if we don't win but 3 or 4 SEC games and finish out the year on a big slide. I'm pretty much at the point of apathy one way or the other.

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:07 AM
I just don't understand why we would bring him back, at what point do wins start to matter? We are in Year 3 and we still are trying to sell moral victories? Someone explain it to me. We have 2 conference wins and he is already guaranteed Year 4? What is Stricklin thinking?

It matters this year.. our bad losses have given every one pause... but we have seemingly righted the ship and we are a competitive SEC basketball team right now... We have been in every game except the Florida game... We are recruiting better... Next year no matter what competitive has to turn into wins at least for me thats where I am

Liverpooldawg
01-29-2015, 10:14 AM
The bottom line is wins and losses at most places. Maybe it isn't with us anymore for basketball.

quickstrike2
01-29-2015, 10:16 AM

In my opinion, that is some very closed minded thinking from our administration. Scott is letting pride get in the way of decision making and that is very dangerous. We have played better in the last 5 games, and it has been somewhat encouraging. I just hate hearing that we have already made a decision like that and based on very little optimistic things. I would still say the horrid loses we had this year still outweighs the positive vibes we have had in the last 5 games.

dawgs
01-29-2015, 10:20 AM

NIT or bust was the ultimatum this year. If he can't get a bunch of juniors to the NIT, then we are hoping that he can take guys for 4 years and coach them into a NIT squad just in time for them to graduate? Yay.

drunkernhelldawg
01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
The bottom line is wins and losses at most places. Maybe it isn't with us anymore for basketball.

We were the standard for our region for many years. What we're going through now is closer to what other teams in the SECW (RIP) go through on a regular basis. Being like everybody else is way overrated. Still, it is nice to have a competitive basketball team again. So a lot of it is about wins and losses, but whether we're even worth watching, which we finally are, is worth something too.

tcdog70
01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Until Ray signs a SEC quality point guard we will continue to lose. Ready's play down the stretch last night sealed our doom. We shoot 56% and out rebound the Rebs and lose. To many turnovers and no defense from the PG.Ray still can't figure out a 1-3-1 defense, thankfully the Chicken was in a zone and kept us close

msstate7
In my opinion, that is some very closed minded thinking from our administration. Scott is letting pride get in the way of decision making and that is very dangerous. We have played better in the last 5 games, and it has been somewhat encouraging. I just hate hearing that we have already made a decision like that and based on very little optimistic things. I would still say the horrid loses we had this year still outweighs the positive vibes we have had in the last 5 games.
I agree. I'm really pulling for Ray, but
I'm not just for giving him another year. If we continue to play at current level, I'm for year 4 though

thedawg
NIT or bust was the ultimatum this year. If he can't get a bunch of juniors to the NIT, then we are hoping that he can take guys for 4 years and coach them into a NIT squad just in time for them to graduate? Yay.

I think our young guys are more talented than our old ones... and our signees are potentially more talented than them... so I hope if Ray can just weather this storm we can NIT/ NCAA bubble for the foreseeable future... maybe I am the eternal optimist

Barking 13
01-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Another Ray year gives Strick plenty of time to find the right guy...

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Until Ray signs a SEC quality point guard we will continue to lose. Ready's play down the stretch last night sealed our doom. We shoot 56% and out rebound the Rebs and lose. To many turnovers and no defense from the PG.Ray still can't figure out a 1-3-1 defense, thankfully the Chicken was in a zone and kept us close

Couple of things...

We can agree to disagree... IJ Ready can play

Kept it close? We led almost the whole game..

dawgs
01-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I think our young guys are more talented than our old ones... and our signees are potentially more talented than them... so I hope if Ray can just weather this storm we can NIT/ NCAA bubble for the foreseeable future... maybe I am the eternal optimist

That class Stans gufted ray is better than any class we've signed under ray. (I'm no Stans defender, it was time for him to go, but that was a class he put together).

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:32 AM
That class Stans gufted ray is better than any class we've signed under ray. (I'm no Stans defender, it was time for him to go, but that was a class he put together).

On paper it was but a few of those guys never got here and they were the same 4 star questionable character guys that started the demise... outside of Chicken and Gavin

M.Fillmore
01-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Another Ray year gives Strick plenty of time to find the right guy...

Then what has Strick been doing the last two years? It didn't take long for most people to figure out Ray wasn't a good hire. This is Crxxm II. If Strick is figuring out how to protect "his guy" rather than how to fix hoops then we have really big problems. This was the NIT or bust year. We are hoping to finish strong to get to 5-11 in a weak SEC. Yippee.

dawgs
01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Maybe we are on the 5 year croom track. 3 years of awful > 1 flukey mediocre decent year > back to 1 more year of awful > he gone. If ray gets another year I could see than playing out with the core of seniors. Go to the NIT, maybe be in NCAA discussion part of the season, and then right back sucking ass.

TheDogFather
01-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Yep. But this assurance comes from the top. He's gonna get Year 4

Not doubting you at all.

I believe that you are fully convinced that someone else is fully convinced that Ray gets a fourth year.

In fact, I have already told someone else that I am fully convinced that you are fully convinced that someone is fully convinced Ray gets another year.

I'm not sure he is convinced, though.

msstate7
01-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Maybe we are on the 5 year croom track. 3 years of awful > 1 flukey mediocre decent year > back to 1 more year of awful > he gone. If ray gets another year I could see than playing out with the core of seniors. Go to the NIT, maybe be in NCAA discussion part of the season, and then right back sucking ass.

If we can do what you said next season, we won't suck the following year...

Ready as a senior
Black and Houston as juniors
Weatherspoon as soph
Hicks and simonds as freshmen (both will be really good -- best ray recruits to date)

Unknowns would be how good ndoye, tookie, zuppardo, Dunlap, and strugg are at that point

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:48 AM

If Ray survives... After Chicken Fred and Thomas graduate.. you would have IJ running the point as a senior, Weatherspoon as a Sophomore or Dunlap as Junior at the 2, Demetrius Houston as Junior at the 3, Then a front line of Black (Jr), Nodoye (Jr), Zuppardo (SR)... obviously there would be chance that Simmonds as a Freshmen could help... I dont know how good that would or wouldnt be

thedawg
01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
We just need our #network to get Malik here and put this whole thing in hyperdrive...

Jack Lambert
01-29-2015, 11:06 AM

So is this true if he doesn't win another game?

Irondawg
01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
My beef with Ray is that our offensive sets are TURRIBLE - I mean downright putrid and that falls on coaching. Something has to change ther or it won't matter if our talent increases. We don't create consistent good looks which means it's tough to win consistently.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Guys, you can't blame Ray for this loss. This one is totally on me.

I got a text early in second half from a buddy of mine that said "We are kicking that Lacoste ass". So I turned it on when we were up about 10. Downhill from there. Totally my fault.

I know better. I want to apologize to the board. If I need to be suspended or whatever, I understand.

DawgFromOxford
01-29-2015, 11:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Ray has 1 year left under his contract. I don't see us bringing in a new guy after this season that is going to drastically improve where we are at. No high level coach wanted the job three years ago and I don't see why one would want the job now, so we would more than likely find another guy like Ray to hire. The first two years its hard to put a lot of fault on Ray between scholarships and injuries. This was his first real year to get things done and it has been disappointing at times, but I think we could say the team is improving. Despite the rough seasons we have had Ray seems to be doing a decent job recruiting (I don't know much about basketball recruiting, so I could be dead wrong about this) which isn't easy to do when you lose a bunch of games and fans don't show up to the games. No matter how this season ends I give Ray his fourth year. If it's a bust after his fourth season then it's time to find a new guy.

Liverpooldawg
01-29-2015, 11:40 AM
We were the standard for our region for many years. What we're going through now is closer to what other teams in the SECW (RIP) go through on a regular basis. Being like everybody else is way overrated. Still, it is nice to have a competitive basketball team again. So a lot of it is about wins and losses, but whether we're even worth watching, which we finally are, is worth something too.
I'd rather win ugly than be "worth watching" and lose. I miss being mediocre.

JohnnyQuid
01-29-2015, 11:57 AM
I agree with coach at this point dont see any way ray doesnt get another year at this point even if we lose them all just because we're not getting beat by 20 every game and scott basically has never waivered in support. That being said it's hard for me to give ray much credit for this recent run of better play. We're hitting shots - period. it's damn sure not better x's and o's. That 10 min run in the 1st half when we looked like we've never seen a 1-3-1 is proof of that. Even took 2-3 timeouts during that time still looked like shit.

When you're making shots everything seems alot better (I know we shot 50%ish at auburn and prolly close to that last night).

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 12:09 PM
IF a change was made (at whatever point), what is the thought here on Kermit Davis Jr. at MTSU? He has done really well there and is an MSU person. Why was he not given more consideration the last time and would he be given strong consideration this time? You would have to think he would want the job.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
So is this true if he doesn't win another game?

Thats what was said

dawgs
01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Ray has 1 year left under his contract. I don't see us bringing in a new guy after this season that is going to drastically improve where we are at. No high level coach wanted the job three years ago and I don't see why one would want the job now, so we would more than likely find another guy like Ray to hire. The first two years its hard to put a lot of fault on Ray between scholarships and injuries. This was his first real year to get things done and it has been disappointing at times, but I think we could say the team is improving. Despite the rough seasons we have had Ray seems to be doing a decent job recruiting (I don't know much about basketball recruiting, so I could be dead wrong about this) which isn't easy to do when you lose a bunch of games and fans don't show up to the games. No matter how this season ends I give Ray his fourth year. If it's a bust after his fourth season then it's time to find a new guy.

Oh bullshit, we tried to nickel and dime mid-major coaches 3 years ago and impose ridiculously stringent recruiting requirements on them. Go in there and offer what a P5 program with conference network money flowing in and allow a coach to recruit via AAU connections (or really however he damn well pleases), and we could land all but a handful of mid-major HCs. And we damn well could land a #1 assistant under coach K or self or Roy Williams or any number of great HCs. Maybe they'd suck too, but at least we'd finally be landing a guy that has a P5 HC resume.

dawgs
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
I want a job where I can succeed <20% of the time against my peers (P5 opponents) over 3 years and still retain my job.

Jack Lambert
01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Thats what was said

That kind of suxs. I hope we get a good signing class out of it.

Raytoraid83
01-29-2015, 01:05 PM
That kind of suxs. I hope we get a good signing class out of it.

Nope, just another 5'8 pg and a Carver player.

Raytoraid83
01-29-2015, 01:07 PM
I heard the Rick Ray will be back no matter what talk before the season too. However, I don't see how Stricklin can realistically say that right now. The hump is dead, not getting Malik, and boosters are getting restless. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out and if Ray can keep the team together.

HailState39110
01-29-2015, 01:27 PM
I would be more impressed if we were losing close games in the first 2 years of the Ray era. Sorry, it is just hard for me to believe that we are still celebrating moral victories at this point. In the words of the great Bill Parcels-"You are what your record says you are" . The last time I checked we are 8-11 (2-5) . Im not counting Clayton State since it doesn't count toward our RPI.

msstate7
01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
I would be more impressed if we were losing close games in the first 2 years of the Ray era. Sorry, it is just hard for me to believe that we are still celebrating moral victories at this point. In the words of the great Bill Parcels-"You are what your record says you are" . The last time I checked we are 8-11 (2-5) . Im not counting Clayton State since it doesn't count toward our RPI.

Damn! We still haven't gotten to 10 wins under mullen.

dawgs
01-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I think you also have to ask yourself whether we are improved (or appear improved by losing less shitty the last few weeks) because of ray's coaching, or if it's just the natural improvement almost every coach could get from having more than 7 scholarship players available and a core of juniors and a senior in their 3rd year in the system improving slightly each year just from the fact that they are getting older. I'm thinking its mostly the latter. Of course I'm not sold that we are all that improved tbh, we've had spurts of relative mediocrity before under ray before, and that wasn't a sign of things to come.

Liverpooldawg
01-29-2015, 01:53 PM
I said at the time it would take at least 10 years. I see nothing to change my mind yet.

GTHOM
01-29-2015, 02:01 PM
I think we just need to start over ray has had 3 years and we have been garbage for 3 years. this is not MSU basketball

mic
01-29-2015, 02:07 PM

No defense from the PG?.?. Did you watch the game? And if you did you obviously have no clue about basketball if you think our PG play last night from IJ on the defensive end cost us that game..

IJ had one turnover , 4 assists and 4 boards last night..

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 02:37 PM
If we can continue to play like we did last nite- I'm for keeping him another year. We play hard and we know what to do- we just aren't that talented in places to do it.

Recruiting is getting better- no off the court BS. Black and Houston were solid signees and going to get better. There is some hope finally

Who are you? Eight ****ing years and 28,000 posts of you begging for Stansbury to be fired and then suddenly your expectations for our basketball program have fallen off a cliff. Fire Stricklin fire Ray!!

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-29-2015, 02:59 PM
The equivalent of a 10 win season for Ray is 26 victories. That is not happening. Ever. Not to mention that basketball and football in the SEC are like night and day.

If our football team was a part of the ACC and Mullen was 4-6 2/3 of the way through the season, I would hope our AD would not be saying, "He is getting another year no matter what."

The people who are defending these moral victories are the same people who bashed Stansbury for "Only winning the SEC tournament every 4 years to get into the NCAA tournament."

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
The people who are defending these moral victories are the same people who bashed Stansbury for "Only winning the SEC tournament every 4 years to get into the NCAA tournament."

Yup. This thread disgusts me. Noah or Jedidiah Stansbury would have a better record than 9-33 in the SEC. When's the last time we've lost to Ole Miss three times in a row before Ray? The absolute BEST time to let Ray go is at the end of THIS SEASON not next. Stricklin is firing himself if he brings Ray back next year.

Goat from MSU
01-29-2015, 03:09 PM
So we should jump in and give Ray a fourth year. Our record with Ray is 12-40 when we play Power 5 teams, we been outscored 3846 to 3273 that is 74 to 61 per game .The last 5 games have been bearable to watch compare to 2 years ago.Yes we ran off the bad seeds ,but Wendell Lewis and Deville Smith are still playing and Wendell has a degree from State. Our AD is too cheap to let Ray go ,he does not want to pay 2 coaches that is the main reason Ray will get his 4th year. Here is a idea why don't we open the old pocket book and get a new coach for next year and end this nightmare.

maroonmania
01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
So let's say Ray does come back and if so, he will likely have the most experienced team in the SEC given we only lose RJohnson and Bloodman. What are our expectations going to be? Winning record, NIT, NCAA? Even with guys that have been in Ray's system all these years, no way do I see even the possibility of making the NCAAs next year unless we get Newman.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying I'm all on board with giving Ray another year no matter what. I'm telling that that is the stance coming from the top.

SouthMsDawg
01-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Even if we finish 3-15 in the SEC and are 10-22?

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm not saying I'm all on board with giving Ray another year no matter what. I'm telling that that is the stance coming from the top.

Then the top is clueless and we'll be looking for a new AD and HC after next year. We will be absolutely awful after the Bury 3 graduate. Only chance we have of sniffing the NCAA for the next four years is to hire a PROVEN winner this year and let him use the seniors. Giving him a year to recruit his players before the Bury 3 leave. We wait till after next year and we're ****ing ourselves five finger style. Stricklin is a damn moron.

SouthMsDawg
01-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Who are you? Eight ****ing years and 28,000 posts of you begging for Stansbury to be fired and then suddenly your expectations for our basketball program have fallen off a cliff. Fire Stricklin fire Ray!!

I have wondered the same exact thing. Coach34 begged and prayed for Stans to get fired now hes campaigning for a guy who has NEVER won a game in February to keep his job with an SEC record of 9-33 and going to get worse with the upcoming schedule we have.

Does Ray get a pass for life??? What he hell are his expectations? Put out a team that plays hard and makes it look interesting? Try to win 4-5 SEC games a year? If you can get to .500 you will have a lifetime contract.

Goat from MSU
01-29-2015, 03:41 PM
We had that this year , being the most experienced at least in the top 3 and what are we 2 and 5 lot of it is his coaching bottom line . I know we had some players hurt but we should have been 4 and 1 the last five games not 2 and 3.
So let's say Ray does come back and if so, he will likely have the most experienced team in the SEC given we only lose RJohnson and Bloodman. What are our expectations going to be? Winning record, NIT, NCAA? Even with guys that have been in Ray's system all these years, no way do I see even the possibility of making the NCAAs next year unless we get Newman.

Coach34
01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Then the top is clueless and we'll be looking for a new AD and HC after next year. We will be absolutely awful after the Bury 3 graduate. Only chance we have of sniffing the NCAA for the next four years is to hire a PROVEN winner this year and let him use the seniors. Giving him a year to recruit his players before the Bury 3 leave. We wait till after next year and we're ****ing ourselves five finger style. Stricklin is a damn moron.

We aren't firing our AD anytime soon. He may be here another 10 years

Coach34
01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Best I can gather- is that Year 1 didn't even count. They wrote that off for Stands. So basically- this is Ray's 2nd year in their view

Coach34
01-29-2015, 04:27 PM
I have wondered the same exact thing. Coach34 begged and prayed for Stans to get fired now hes campaigning for a guy who has NEVER won a game in February to keep his job with an SEC record of 9-33 and going to get worse with the upcoming schedule we have.

Does Ray get a pass for life??? What he hell are his expectations? Put out a team that plays hard and makes it look interesting? Try to win 4-5 SEC games a year? If you can get to .500 you will have a lifetime contract.

what the ****? I am in no way campaigning for Ray to keep his job. If we keep playing the way we have lately though- I could be on board for another year.

tcdog70
01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
No defense from the PG?.?. Did you watch the game? And if you did you obviously have no clue about basketball if you think our PG play last night from IJ on the defensive end cost us that game..

IJ had one turnover , 4 assists and 4 boards last night..

His Offense is just OK when compared to other SEC PGs. But if you can't see that His defense is killing Us then it is You Sir that doesn't have a clue. Summers beat Him like a Drum in the second half.

mic
01-29-2015, 05:06 PM
His Offense is just OK when compared to other SEC PGs. But if you can't see that His defense is killing Us then it is You Sir that doesn't have a clue. Summers beat Him like a Drum in the second half.

Ask any ex player how good IJ is..
Summers is a Pro..
Summers had 0 points the first half.
Summers made 4 shots from the floor for the game.
And when IJ wasn't defending him he was guarding moody who was 5-15..

Like I said you are clueless about basketball if you think this...
I think someone posted on here that we were +20 or more with IJ in the game and like -30 when he is out..

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 06:51 PM
We aren't firing our AD anytime soon. He may be here another 10 years

Doubtful after he delays what's inevitable year after year. He's risking his job now and I'll be at the front calling for it. I won't be alone. Stricklin ****ed up the search. Stricklin ****ed up with his demands. Stricklin ****ed up by hiring a total no-name and acting like he found a miracle. Stricklin continues to **** up by acting like he thinks he's smarter than everyone else. That's a Croom move. Stricklin continues to **** up by letting this dumpster fire continue. He's being a smug asshole. Mississippi State isn't his University. It's OUR University. I want him gone. I don't give a shit about what he's done in other areas. He's egregiously failed our men's bball program so much that he needs to go. Stricklin thinks he's untouchable and he's wrong.

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Best I can gather- is that Year 1 didn't even count. They wrote that off for Stands. So basically- this is Ray's 2nd year in their view

C34 I'm lumping you in with Stricklin. You screamed and cried for almost near a DECADE to get Bury gone. You eventually wore everyone down and now that we suck way worse than ever before you suddenly are totally content with the situation. My gut tells me it's because you've become buddy buddy with someone in the athletic department or with Ray himself. You refuse to be the C34 before Ray and it's because you're protecting someone. Or maybe it's your delusional way of thinking the only way for us to be good in football is for our AD to focus solely on it and let our hoops program die completely. **** that and **** you.

tcdog70
01-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Ask any ex player how good IJ is..
Summers is a Pro..
Summers had 0 points the first half.
Summers made 4 shots from the floor for the game.
And when IJ wasn't defending him he was guarding moody who was 5-15..

Like I said you are clueless about basketball if you think this...
I think someone posted on here that we were +20 or more with IJ in the game and like -30 when he is out..

Comparing Ready to Bloodman. I will take Ready. So we are better with Ready in the game than Bloodman-- No Shit. Why would I ask an ex player? I listened to Richard Williams explain how that when Georgia needed a basket they isolated their point guard on Ready and he just shot over Him. Any way you shake it Ready can't play defense against players 5-6 inches taller than Him.

msstate7
01-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Comparing Ready to Bloodman. I will take Ready. So we are better with Ready in the game than Bloodman-- No Shit. Why would I ask an ex player? I listened to Richard Williams explain how that when Georgia needed a basket they isolated their point guard on Ready and he just shot over Him. Any way you shake it Ready can't play defense against players 5-6 inches taller than Him.

Georgia's pg (jj Frazier) is 5'10" 150 lbs

Ij ready is 5'11" 170 lbs

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Georgia's pg (jj Frazier) is 5'10" 150 lbs

Ij ready is 5'11" 170 lbs

That doesn't help the "IJ can play defense" argument.

msstate7
01-29-2015, 07:52 PM
That doesn't help the "IJ can play defense" argument.

I responded to post that said anytime georgia needed a basket that they isolated their pg on ready and shot over him.

I don't think ready is a good defender

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 08:22 PM
I responded to post that said anytime georgia needed a basket that they isolated their pg on ready and shot over him.

I don't think ready is a good defender

IJ's defense is the least of our problems. Ray's failure to manage a roster and his total lack of offensive coaching ability far outweigh Ready's size issues on defense.

Goat from MSU
01-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Then someone has his head up his ass then.

Liverpooldawg
01-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Stans is the only reason we are staying close to anybody at the moment. Truth hurts.

mic
01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm not going to go back and forth with guys who know very little about basketball.
If you don't like the coach.. That's fine.
Say he can't coach . That's fine.
Want him gone after the season.. I have no issue with that..

But IJ's play last night 100% didn't cost us that game..

He is 5'11 we get it.. He held his own last night when he guarded a future pro in Summers. ( who our ex coach didn't recruit very hard)

He usually plays defense the whole 94 feet.. Watch how often when he is in man he turns his guy bringing it up. I'm sure most don't know what that means.. Just proves my points ..

I'm not saying he is the DPOY in the league but to say he can't play defense is ridiculous .

Our team as whole doesn't guard the 3 ball well. one reason for that is we dont shoot the 3 well so I'm sure we don't work on defending the 3 that much in practice.. And before you all go ape shit on our staff about that , those who played ball at higher level that jr high or even high school know that makes a huge difference..

He not only handles the ball but knocks down shots..

You all probably think Ravern or Dee played good defense..

And is just a sophomore.. I am willing to bet he is All SEC before he is done here..

So yall can rip Ray all you want. And rip Scott for the hire..
But support the players and the program..

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm not going to go back and forth with guys who know very little about basketball.
If you don't like the coach.. That's fine.
Say he can't coach . That's fine.
Want him gone after the season.. I have no issue with that..

But IJ's play last night 100% didn't cost us that game..

He is 5'11 we get it.. He held his own last night when he guarded a future pro in Summers. ( who our ex coach didn't recruit very hard)

He usually plays defense the whole 94 feet.. Watch how often when he is in man he turns his guy bringing it up. I'm sure most don't know what that means.. Just proves my points ..

I'm not saying he is the DPOY in the league but to say he can't play defense is ridiculous .

Our team as whole doesn't guard the 3 ball well. one reason for that is we dont shoot the 3 well so I'm sure we don't work on defending the 3 that much in practice.. And before you all go ape shit on our staff about that , those who played ball at higher level that jr high or even high school know that makes a huge difference..

He not only handles the ball but knocks down shots..

You all probably think Ravern or Dee played good defense..

And is just a sophomore.. I am willing to bet he is All SEC before he is done here..

So yall can rip Ray all you want. And rip Scott for the hire..
But support the players and the program..

Who is "you all"? Are you IJ's daddy? Ready is a midget on the court. Therefore he is a huge liability anytime he has to defend below the 3-point line. He IS terrible on defense because he's tiny.

mic
01-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Who is "you all"? Are you IJ's daddy? Ready is a midget on the court. Therefore he is a huge liability anytime he has to defend below the 3-point line. He IS terrible on defense because he's tiny.

Just stick to the bashing RR..
Like I said zero basketball knowledge...

Dawg61
01-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Just stick to the bashing RR..
Like I said zero basketball knowledge...

Did your basketball knowledge magically grow Ready to 6'4 190 lbs.? Till then he'll always suck on D.

GTHOM
01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
IJ guarded summers pretty well for the majority of the game, Summers hit one fluke 4 point play and i mean you cant expect anybody to completely shut down the oppositions top scorer for 40 minutes, not even Lebron does that

GTHOM
01-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Our teams biggest problems are two things for me, 1. Ray is just not the answer as a head coach, 9-33 or whatever his record is in the SEC is just ridiculously bad i dont care how you spin it. 2. Sword is the best player we have and its pretty obvious to me that with him getting healthier we have played better. He is the reason we have seen better performances, but the sad part is i didnt know MSU basketball was ''better performances' and losing the way we have. just my two cents

DawgFromOxford
01-30-2015, 01:18 AM
Are people really calling for Stricklin's job? Look at what he's done with other sports. He made a great decision to hire Schaefer. It appears that he has made a great hire for the volleyball team. We will see how the new men's tennis coach does pretty soon here but looks to have the credentials. The softball team looks to be headed in the right direction since Stuedeman's hire in 2011. He's done a great job in promoting for new athletic facilities, just look at the plans for DNF. And you want to call for his head because he made a bad hire for a basketball team that was left in shambles three years ago? Give me a break.

dawgs
01-30-2015, 02:45 AM
Are people really calling for Stricklin's job? Look at what he's done with other sports. He made a great decision to hire Schaefer. It appears that he has made a great hire for the volleyball team. We will see how the new men's tennis coach does pretty soon here but looks to have the credentials. The softball team looks to be headed in the right direction since Stuedeman's hire in 2011. He's done a great job in promoting for new athletic facilities, just look at the plans for DNF. And you want to call for his head because he made a bad hire for a basketball team that was left in shambles three years ago? Give me a break.

Not saying he should be fired, but it's not just making a bad hire. It's making a bad hire and then being too stubborn to admit it was a failure and making the change when the time is needed. And also not going in swinging a big dick when he made the hire to begin with.

Dawg61
01-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Not saying he should be fired, but it's not just making a bad hire. It's making a bad hire and then being too stubborn to admit it was a failure and making the change when the time is needed. And also not going in swinging a big dick when he made the hire to begin with.

This!! The outcome with Ray is inevitable. Everyone can see that. Waiting till after next year, after Ray's contract expires and the Bury 3 plus Daniels graduates to fire Ray will only **** us longer. That will dig the hole even deeper. The best chance we've got is to do it this year. Stricklin doesn't see that or is too stubborn to admit the inevitable or just wants to save Ray's buyout further pushing the program down. He's the AD. How's it not a fireable offense to triple murder the hoops program for a decade?

maroonmania
01-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Strick overall has made good hires but let's face it, a hire in men's football or men's basketball, or at MSU, in baseball as well is weighted 10 times or more any coaching hire in other minor sports. So good hires in these other sports in no way makes up for what looks to be a bad move in men's basketball.

thedawg
01-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Strick overall has made good hires but let's face it, a hire in men's football or men's basketball, or at MSU, in baseball as well is weighted 10 times or more any coaching hire in other minor sports. So good hires in these other sports in no way makes up for what looks to be a bad move in men's basketball.

I agree but I have a legitimate question... If Strickland has proven he can make good hires in Womens Basketball and Softball... He as also proven he can keep arguably our best two coaches ever happy in Football and Baseball.. He has overseen big time facility renovations with maybe the best yet to come in Baseball.. So hes not incompetent.. So does that mean that maybe our basketball program was seen as a complete and total dumpster fire and the best coach that was interested was Rick Ray? Also maybe Strickland realizes he needs to give prospective coaches that may come after Ray the assurance that he will have their back by giving Ray ample time and opportunity to succeed? My opinion is we need to let this play out and let Strick do his job. I think he has proven competent in every area so far with the outlier being mens basketball... Maybe thats not all his fault and he has been dealing with shit circumstances? Just my thought

dawgs
01-30-2015, 11:14 AM
I agree but I have a legitimate question... If Strickland has proven he can make good hires in Womens Basketball and Softball... He as also proven he can keep arguably our best two coaches ever happy in Football and Baseball.. He has overseen big time facility renovations with maybe the best yet to come in Baseball.. So hes not incompetent.. So does that mean that maybe our basketball program was seen as a complete and total dumpster fire and the best coach that was interested was Rick Ray? Also maybe Strickland realizes he needs to give prospective coaches that may come after Ray the assurance that he will have their back by giving Ray ample time and opportunity to succeed? My opinion is we need to let this play out and let Strick do his job. I think he has proven competent in every area so far with the outlier being mens basketball... Maybe thats not all his fault and he has been dealing with shit circumstances? Just my thought

If ray was the best we could get interested, then Strickland didn't do his job selling the program and/or was trying to be too cheap instead of spending money like a P5 program with network money flowing in should have.

Goat from MSU
01-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Ray needs to go 6 and 5 his last regular season games it would keep him out of the bottom 4 and he have 8 and 10 record that would buy him another year. If he goes 2 and 9 or 3 and 8 I liked Dawg61 the change will need to be made for the sake of the program.

thedawg
01-30-2015, 11:23 AM
If ray was the best we could get interested, then Strickland didn't do his job selling the program and/or was trying to be too cheap instead of spending money like a P5 program with network money flowing in should have.

What are you basing this off of? your gut?

maroonmania
01-30-2015, 11:27 AM

I'm not on Stricklin's case and surely don't believe he is incompetent. I do think he and Keenum were sort of polyanna in the hiring process when it came to getting a new men's basketball coach given how men's college basketball recruiting works these days and that made this rebuild process MUCH longer than it should have been. I think he probably ran off as many coaching prospects with his idealistic view of how to run a program and recruit as he did with not being willing to pay a bundle. In basketball, if you can recruit, you can rebuild in very short order given 2 or 3 elite players can turn the whole thing around. But if you can't its going to be a long haul and that is what we are in for I guess. For example, if you just added Newman next year to what we already have we probably would go from an NIT bubble team to an 8 seed or better in the NCAA tournament. One elite player can make that much difference.

But my main premise was that good hires in the minor sports in no way gets him off the hook for making a bad hire in a major sport.

DudyDawg
01-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Strick isn't going anywhere and it's silly to think or hope otherwise. He does need to fire ray tho, but I can somewhat understand waiting until after year four

thedawg
01-30-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm not on Stricklin's case and surely don't believe he is incompetent. I do think he and Keenum were sort of polyanna in the hiring process when it came to getting a new men's basketball coach given how men's college basketball recruiting works these days and that made this rebuild process MUCH longer than it should have been. I think he probably ran off as many coaching prospects with his idealistic view of how to run a program and recruit as he did with not being willing to pay a bundle. In basketball, if you can recruit, you can rebuild in very short order given 2 or 3 elite players can turn the whole thing around. But if you can't its going to be a long haul and that is what we are in for I guess. For example, if you just added Newman next year to what we already have we probably would go from an NIT bubble team to an 8 seed or better in the NCAA tournament. One elite player can make that much difference.

But my main premise was that good hires in the minor sports in no way gets him off the hook for making a bad hire in a major sport.

I heard at the time that Strick got on the plane headed back to Starkville and it was Kenny Payne... Then mid flight he just had a change of heart because of all the baggage and the fears of more of the same... So he got off the plane and made the call on Rick Ray.. Was that true?

maroonmania
01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
I heard at the time that Strick got on the plane headed back to Starkville and it was Kenny Payne... Then mid flight he just had a change of heart because of all the baggage and the fears of more of the same... So he got off the plane and made the call on Rick Ray.. Was that true?

I don't know about that but given the MSU ties I don't understand why this guy wasn't given more consideration?

http://www.goblueraiders.com/coaches.aspx?rc=17

Coach34
01-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Ray needs to go 6 and 5 his last regular season games it would keep him out of the bottom 4 and he have 8 and 10 record that would buy him another year. If he goes 2 and 9 or 3 and 8 I liked Dawg61 the change will need to be made for the sake of the program.

Ray doesnt need to do anything to get another year- he has it

Coach34
01-30-2015, 12:18 PM

that is basically what I heard as well

Goat from MSU
01-30-2015, 12:33 PM
That is the problem all along , he thinks he has forever to get the job done. From what I have seen in the last 5 games 6 and 5 can and should be done .If it is 2 and 9 he needs to go ,that when the cigar boys should step in . AD or no AD.

mic
01-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Does anyone think Scotty has the kahunas to fire his next door neighbor after this season? Exactly.
So best thing to do is suck it up. Get behind the PLAYERS and team support THEM and let's win some games...

Coach34
01-30-2015, 12:54 PM
That is the problem all along , he thinks he has forever to get the job done. From what I have seen in the last 5 games 6 and 5 can and should be done .If it is 2 and 9 he needs to go ,that when the cigar boys should step in . AD or no AD.

No coach just ****s off and loses on purpose so he can collect a check. Ray is working his ass off to build a program. We arent doing things the way Stands did them- we nuked the program and started completely over. Do I wish we were farther along?? Well, hell yeah. But from what wehave seen lately- this looks like the team we expected to see this year. That's progress. They need to put some W's up. We all agree on that

starkvegasdawg
01-30-2015, 01:04 PM
http://media.cagedinsider.com/wp-content/images/mma/2014/01/Archer-danger-zone-500x272.jpg

Goat from MSU
01-30-2015, 01:11 PM
That was my point the way we play the last five games ,we should go 6 and 5 .The players are doing there job in most cases if we go 2 and 9 it is on the coach or the players threw in the towel ,then it is still on the coach.
No coach just ****s off and loses on purpose so he can collect a check. Ray is working his ass off to build a program. We arent doing things the way Stands did them- we nuked the program and started completely over. Do I wish we were farther along?? Well, hell yeah. But from what wehave seen lately- this looks like the team we expected to see this year. That's progress. They need to put some W's up. We all agree on that

Dawg61
01-30-2015, 03:18 PM
The reason why I'm being so vocal now is because SS is about to make a huge mistake by waiting till the end of the contract. We lose Sword, Ware, Fred and Daniels after next year. The new coach will have nothing to work with. Black, Houston, Tookie, Dunlap, IJ, Ndoye, Zuppardo and Carver High School. You serious? That squad is worse than Ray's first. Is Ray going to magically make the NCAA next year? Very doubtful so that means SS is faced with the decision to give him an extension or go in a new direction. A calculated risk has to be made here. All signs point to us having a new coach for the 2016-17 season so why wouldn't we set him and us up for success best as possible? That means hiring the new coach now so he has a senior laden team and a full year to recruit and sign his guys. There is no choice here imo. SS making this next failed step of bringing RR back seals SS's fate for me. This mistake can NOT be made after he's made three consecutive huge mistakes with the program already. Do we want to suck for a decade straight or do we want to stop the bleeding now and save the body? Again there is no choice here.

Coach34
01-30-2015, 03:20 PM
The reason why I'm being so vocal now is because SS is about to make a huge mistake by waiting till the end of the contract. We lose Sword, Ware, Fred and Daniels after next year. The new coach will have nothing to work with. Black, Houston, Tookie, Dunlap, IJ, Ndoye, Zuppardo and Carver High School. You serious? That squad is worse than Ray's first. Is Ray going to magically make the NCAA next year? Very doubtful so that means SS is faced with the decision to give him an extension or go in a new direction. A calculated risk has to be made here. All signs point to us having a new coach for the 2016-17 season so why wouldn't we set him and us up for success best as possible? That means hiring the new coach now so he has a senior laden team and a full year to recruit and sign his guys. There is no choice here imo. SS making this next failed step of bringing RR back seals SS's fate for me. This mistake can NOT be made after he's made three consecutive huge mistakes with the program already. Do we want to suck for a decade straight or do we want to stop the bleeding now and save the body? Again there is no choice here.

Zero chance

SouthMsDawg
01-30-2015, 03:25 PM

So essentially you are saying Ray has ZERO expectations this season from his boss Scott Stricklin. Plain and simple if we go on a big losing streak (and with our upcoming schedule it could easily happen) and lose 10 of our last 11 games then I really think we need to at least weigh our options instead of continually say he needs more time. It reeks to me of Stricklin refusing to be man enough to realize he didn't make a good hire. He has to understand its like gambling sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. He got a winner in Schaffer but not so much in Ray.

I'll hang up and listen.

Dawg61
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Zero chance

Anddddddddd this is why Stricklin has to be fired.

Coach34
01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
So essentially you are saying Ray has ZERO expectations this season from his boss Scott Stricklin. Plain and simple if we go on a big losing streak (and with our upcoming schedule it could easily happen) and lose 10 of our last 11 games then I really think we need to at least weigh our options instead of continually say he needs more time. It reeks to me of Stricklin refusing to be man enough to realize he didn't make a good hire. He has to understand its like gambling sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. He got a winner in Schaffer but not so much in Ray.

I'll hang up and listen.

You can look at it anyway you want- my boy said Ray aint going anywhere no matter what happens. Hopefully recruiting continues to get better.

Goat from MSU
01-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Your boy must have his head pretty far up his ass ,he going to need a glass stomach to see out . When Ray gets his ass fired ,your boy might be looking for a job also.
You can look at it anyway you want- my boy said Ray aint going anywhere no matter what happens. Hopefully recruiting continues to get better.

Coach34
01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Strick ain't "my boy". Talking about the person that told me. He gets his info a level above Stricklin

Goat from MSU
01-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Did I say anything about Strick,no you brought him up . This is all moot if we pull out at least 5 or 6 games over the next 11. The guys are playing better we looked like a team . Ray is bringing in a better grade of players ,when we lose Bloodman and Johnson the incoming guys are better players.I still think Ray was a mistake ,but the past cannot be undone so it is what it is .But a question if for somehow we lose the next 11 ,would you be for replacing him or give him another year.
Strick ain't "my boy". Talking about the person that told me. He gets his info a level above Stricklin

maroonmania
01-30-2015, 05:28 PM

I'll hang up and listen.

Apparently so which is the reason I rarely even watch our games on TV anymore, much less go. Ray may eventually become a decent head coach but there is no doubt he has been in over his head to this point. I'm not going to demand he be removed but I'm not going to get emotionally invested in a product that shows no signs of being successful either. And telling me Ray will be back no matter how poorly he produces the rest of the year just further resolves me to ignore basketball. I supported Ray fully the first 2 years because he had things out of his control going on with the roster like injuries and a lot of inexperience but there is no excuse for the results we have seen this year. We have one of the most veteran teams in the league RIGHT NOW. I don't see how I'm suppose to expect guys that can't win as JRs under a coach to magically start winning under that same coach as SRs. He need to start showing that he can win games in the league NOW.

Political Hack
01-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Ray's post game presser after UGA had 25 views as of this morning. Program is dead.

Dawg61
01-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Ray's post game presser after UGA had 25 views as of this morning. Program is dead.

How many were from Mrs. Ray?

Dawg61
01-31-2015, 12:20 AM
Your boy must have his head pretty far up his ass ,he going to need a glass stomach to see out .

I'd like to nominate this sentence from Goat from MSU as an Elitedawgs remembers. Pure gold!

Schultzy
01-31-2015, 08:09 AM
We have some four stars coming in with size and shooting ability. It's a slow turnaround back to relevancy but he is going to make it.

Some of you think it should happen fast like UK but that's not reality. Hell, most SEC teams aren't good enough to make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis and they haven't had to dig out of the hole Ray has.

Ha. "Lawrence Roberts is not walking through that door!" But he has good class coming in, help is on the way.

msstate7
01-31-2015, 08:16 AM
We have some four stars coming in with size and shooting ability. It's a slow turnaround back to relevancy but he is going to make it.

Some of you think it should happen fast like UK but that's not reality. Hell, most SEC teams aren't good enough to make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis and they haven't had to dig out of the hole Ray has.

Ha. "Lawrence Roberts is not walking through that door!" But he has good class coming in, help is on the way.

If Ray can hold on, that '16 class could be special. Hicks and simonds are for real. Hughes and keglar still available.

Dawg61
01-31-2015, 09:46 AM

Sure it'll help but Ray is woefully lacking as an offensive mind so that will eventually have to be addressed and hiring new assistants won't fix it either. Only one realistic expectation here. Again, we hurt our program more by bringing Ray back next year.