PDA

View Full Version : Just took a look at the ESPN Top 300 recruits list...

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
For all the hoopla around the OM recruiting the last week, here are the numbers as of right now...

Ole Miss: 7 Top 300 commits
MSU: 6 Top 300 commits

I am assuming CeCe Jefferson and a few others take the bait and go to Oxford, so they may end up with 8 or 9....but that already includes Leo Lewis, so technically they could lose 1 too. (Although I think Lewiis sticks with them).

So what I'm saying is, while they have several that are rated higher in the Top 300....they aren't really out recruiting us at a high level even in terms of star power. It's just more Nationally, so it gets more attention. With our ability to develop, I will gladly take 6-7 Top 300 commits to go along with the rest of our DAMN GOOD class. Once again, we won't win the press conference, but don't fall for the trap...our class is very very good.
Taking the "5 star" label off of some of these guys, and instead looking at them as a "group of the top prospects in the country", really puts things into perspective that our class stacks up very nicely with some of the best in the country. Just because we aren't stealing a top recruit out of Florida, doesn't mean our studs from closer to home aren't just as impressive. And let's not forget, we have a big class, so that Top 15-20 ranking is for our total class....meaning we have a large, talented, deep recruiting class. I am really excited the more I look at our commit list in depth.

Hail Damn State

MabenMaroon
01-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Agree completely and want to add that we are are recruiting to particular needs as well. Not just accumulating stars.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Agree completely and want to add that we are are recruiting to particular needs as well. Not just accumulating stars.

No doubt. I think this late push for guys that have no relationship with OM, shows that they put very little thought into character, work ethic, "fit", etc of a recruit. They simply look at the ranking, the amount of stars, and most of all how it will make their program "appear" to the average person. Meanwhile, we are looking at the kid's character, work ethic, how he fits into our scheme, his development potential, etc... I have absolutely zero doubt that in 3 years we will look back at this class, and ours will be head and shoulders more impactful than OM's.

And let's not forget, this thread is just to show the ridiculousness in all of the MSU vs OM recruiting talk lately. I still think we put way too much emphasis on what they do. If we had beaten Alabama this year, the OM loss doesn't really matter.....so quit worrying so much about them and their National style of recruiting. It's flashy in the media, but not much better than ours, if at all in the long run.

mparkerfd20
01-28-2015, 04:38 PM
You're really looking at ESPN for recruiting rankings? I mean really? While I agree that the gap isn't as large as it's made out to be, I sure wouldn't use ESPN to back up my reasoning.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
You're really looking at ESPN for recruiting rankings? I mean really? While I agree that the gap isn't as large as it's made out to be, I sure wouldn't use ESPN to back up my reasoning.

I didn't say they were the best rankings....but they are what gets OM so much air time on ESPN and SEC Network since it is "ESPN's" rankings. Plus, their top 300 actually looks much more accurate this year than prior...or at least in terms of ours and OM's recruits and where they're positioned related to each other.

I am well aware of ESPN's rankings being suspect, though. I wonder how different they look from the 247 Top 300?

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:48 PM

Just looked at the "Top 247" prospects according to 247, and the totals are...

Ole Miss: 6 in the top 247
MSU: 4 in the top 247

Better? Still basically the same and maintains my point.

Bothrops
01-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Espn has us with 10 4-stars.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Here's the breakdown by each site

Rivals MSU 16th ranked (5 4* or better) OM 18th ranked (7 4* or better ranked)
Scout MSU 14th ranked (6 4* or better) OM 16th ranked (11 4* or better)
ESPN MSU 15th ranked (10 4* or better) OM 15th ranked (12 4* or better)
247 MSU 16th ranked (9 4* or better) OM 10th ranked (11 4* or better)

Don't ask me how 247 comes up with the composite ranking of 19 bc I have no clue but this is the breakdown.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Here's the breakdown by each site

Rivals MSU 16th ranked (5 4* or better) OM 18th ranked (7 4* or better ranked)
Scout MSU 14th ranked (6 4* or better) OM 16th ranked (11 4* or better)
ESPN MSU 15th ranked (10 4* or better) OM 15th ranked (12 4* or better)
247 MSU 16th ranked (9 4* or better) OM 10th ranked (11 4* or better)

Don't ask me how 247 comes up with the composite ranking of 19 bc I have no clue but this is the breakdown.

Thanks. I would like for someone to ask Paul Jones that question, because it makes no sense to me.

But how about this class we're bringing in? Everyone needs to shut the heck up about OM, and start spreading the word about our class on social media.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks. I would like for someone to ask Paul Jones that question, because it makes no sense to me.

But how about this class we're bringing in? Everyone needs to shut the heck up about OM, and start spreading the word about our class on social media.

I've seen Paul be asked about it & he said he doesn't even know. Said he's asked but haven't gotten an answer.

Bothrops
01-28-2015, 05:32 PM
I also noticed that Rivals reduced Malik Dear from a 4* to a 3* while moving him up in rank. Can anyone explain this?

Tdawg
01-28-2015, 05:36 PM
For all the hoopla around the OM recruiting the last week, here are the numbers as of right now...

I am assuming CeCe Jefferson and a few others take the bait and go to Oxford, so they may end up with 8 or 9....but that already includes Leo Lewis, so technically they could lose 1 too. (Although I think Lewiis sticks with them).

So what I'm saying is, while they have several that are rated higher in the Top 300....they aren't really out recruiting us at a high level even in terms of star power. It's just more Nationally, so it gets more attention. With our ability to develop, I will gladly take 6-7 Top 300 commits to go along with the rest of our DAMN GOOD class. Once again, we won't win the press conference, but don't fall for the trap...our class is very very good.
Taking the "5 star" label off of some of these guys, and instead looking at them as a "group of the top prospects in the country", really puts things into perspective that our class stacks up very nicely with some of the best in the country. Just because we aren't stealing a top recruit out of Florida, doesn't mean our studs from closer to home aren't just as impressive. And let's not forget, we have a big class, so that Top 15-20 ranking is for our total class....meaning we have a large, talented, deep recruiting class. I am really excited the more I look at our commit list in depth.

Hail Damn State

I've already made my thoughts on the recruiting issue clear--Dan is almost beyond reproach with his on-field results. But, for example, if Ole Miss ends up with 9 top players to our 6, then that is a HUGE difference. Them getting 50% more "blue chip" recruits than us is a lot. Over 4-5 years, that is 12-15 more good players--if you believe in stars

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
I've already made my thoughts on the recruiting issue clear--Dan is almost beyond reproach with his on-field results. But, for example, if Ole Miss ends up with 9 top players to our 6, then that is a HUGE difference. Them getting 50% more "blue chip" recruits than us is a lot. Over 4-5 years, that is 12-15 more good players--if you believe in stars

I disagree. And using "50% more" instead of "9 vs 6", is pretty misleading in my opinion. That is not a significant difference, especially when rankings aren't an exact science. Factor in our development, and their typical attrition, and we will likely have the better class when you look back in 3-4 years. I don't understand how you can use the "12-15 more good players" line, when they usually have several 4 star or better players no longer on the team after a year or two. Also, define "good players"....surely you can't be a State fan and claim that only 4 star or better players are "good players"? We have multiple bad players drafted off our team each year if so.

I will agree to disagree, but in my opinion, based on your recent posts you have fallen for the Ole miss propaganda machine hook, line, and sinker.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2015, 05:45 PM

Hail Damn State

Their boat has sprung a leak, more details to come.

msstate7
01-28-2015, 05:49 PM
I disagree. And using "50% more" instead of "9 vs 6", is pretty misleading in my opinion. That is not a significant difference, especially when rankings aren't an exact science. Factor in our development, and their typical attrition, and we will likely have the better class when you look back in 3-4 years. I don't understand how you can use the "12-15 more good players" line, when they usually have several 4 star or better players no longer on the team after a year or two. Also, define "good players"....surely you can't be a State fan and claim that only 4 star or better players are "good players"? We have multiple bad players drafted off our team each year if so.

I will agree to disagree, but in my opinion, based on your recent posts you have fallen for the Ole miss propaganda machine hook, line, and sinker.

4* = good
3* = bad (dak and bear really need upgrading). Perhaps one of om's 4* qb's will transfer here*

msstate7
01-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Concerning cece?

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 05:53 PM
4* = good
3* = bad (dak and bear really need upgrading). Perhaps one of om's 4* qb's will transfer here*

Haha +1

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Concerning cece?

He was never in the boat.

maroonmania
01-28-2015, 06:05 PM

First, the ratings on any players not in the upper 4* or 5* categories suck. And they suck even worse when it comes to MS HS athletes who get less coverage than most surrounding states in the Southeast. Second, no matter how good the player you have to retain them which is where Mullen has excelled. We've had very few players that leave the program once they enter or that get into trouble. Quay Evans is one of the very few high rated guys that we've signed that didn't last in our program and contribute that wasn't injured in some way. OM has a revolving door at the moment and a lot of the kids they've signed (like a Buchanan) were obviously overrated. No doubt that Freeze is significantly upgrading the overall talent base at OM though. Will be interesting to see what happens with them this year with nothing proven at QB.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-28-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm off work tomorrow and i plan on going back several years and breaking down how many 4 and 5 stars each has signed, and how many actually finished their eligibility either by graduation or entering the draft early. i also want to break it down on actual production as to who accomplished what.

Did I leave anything out?

I'll let you know what I find.

defiantdog
01-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Does OM even have a redshirt program?

yjnkdawg
01-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Richmond is supposed to visit TN this weekend. Be great if he would flip to them.

Statefan
01-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Looking at 247 we have 3 recruits that are rated:

89 (4*)
88 (3*)
88 (3*)

What's the freaking difference? I hate when everyone freaks out about stars. Just look at their offers and realize they are good players

Schultzy
01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
A high school ref says if you knew how many unrated players were 3*, how many two's were 3 and four; how many three's should be unrated, how many 4 stars should be three's, and why all the fives should remain 5's or at least fours we would better understand why all the big budget schools play for the National Championship regularly while the other 90 percent of the schools fight like hell to remain either relevant or semi relevant each year which is now, more recently,, worth a lot of money.

ETA: stars do matter while at the same time the rating services are terrible at rating the mass of humanity in HS football that are truly 3* and under

We were ranked Number One this past season for five weeks straight with what our previous four recruiting classes ranked. You have to recruit well but it's so damn subjective and luck matters too, whether you're a good evaluator or a good recruiter.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Richmond is supposed to visit TN this weekend. Be great if he would flip to them.

Several more of their commits are visiting.

Recuitapalooza didn't work.

Alldawg
01-29-2015, 08:55 AM

The main reason they are getting the hype is because of the top end talent, especially if they get the other two that are leaning their way. Sure, it does not sound as bad saying OM is getting 9 top 300 compared to MSU getting 6. BUT, they hype and difference is OM could be signing 5 top 100 compared to MSU signing 1.

mparkerfd20
01-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Just looked at the "Top 247" prospects according to 247, and the totals are...

Ole Miss: 6 in the top 247
MSU: 4 in the top 247

Better? Still basically the same and maintains my point.

Yep better for making your argument... Even though I now see why you went with ESPN. While they are the worst at evaluating talent, they do have the biggest network that gets airtime for schools based off of their horrible rankings.

SheltonChoked
01-29-2015, 10:13 AM
So if Leo flips we will be tied with them on 4 star or better on all the services except scout?!?!?

That makes me want him to flip even more

And remind me who does YP write for?