PDA

View Full Version : Om basketball game

msstate7
01-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I really wanna ruin their season.

Hugh's latest article...

OXFORD -- Earlier this week the Ole Miss players watched a 10-second YouTube clip from last season's game at Mississippi State. Normal, right? Young men in their early 20s watching a short online video isn't exactly News at 11.
But it was not from the actual game, but instead the Bulldog locker room afterwards: coach Rick Ray dancing the nae nae while celebrating an upset win. This, combined with Mississippi State point guard I.J. Ready's declaration Monday that the Basketball Egg Bowl is "like life-and-death", has led to a feeling in Oxford: these guys care more about this game than the Rebels do.
"They do take it more seriously because we watched a clip of them dancing and we would never do that if we beat them," forward Dwight Coleby said. "We would never go to that extreme."
Said guard Martavious Newby: "It's like the Super Bowl to them."
This is not to say that Ole Miss (12-7, 3-3 SEC) does not want to win Wednesday's home game (8 p.m., SEC Network) any less than Mississippi State (9-10, 2-4) does. The reasons may just differ slightly.
"It's important for us, first and foremost, because it's the next game and a home game, and we need to make sure we match the intensity that I'm sure Mississippi State will bring to the game," coach Andy Kennedy said.
Newby's theory for why the intensity of the rivalry does not currently match is based on his own experiences: a junior, Newby is 3-2 against Mississippi State. The Rebels have had a better record going into three of the five matchups (four regular season, one in the SEC tournament) and the teams were tied the other two times. Ole Miss is also 2-0 in Oxford, and has won the last two meetings overall.
"We always have a better record than Mississippi State but there's something about Mississippi State that we always don't play up to our potential," Newby said. "And it's like by them being State they feel like they're the underdogs of the state of Mississippi because they feel like they should be more recognized than Ole Miss. It causes State to play like that against us."
Ole Miss has plenty of players experienced in this rivalry, including three four-year seniors in Jarvis Summers, LaDarius White and Aaron Jones. But this will be the first game against the Bulldogs for leading scorer Stefan Moody and graduate transfers M.J. Rhett and Terence Smith. All three started their careers at the lower level of Division I, but Kennedy said he thinks they'll figure the nature of this rivalry quickly.
"It'll become pretty evident," Kennedy said. "They had an opportunity to see the impact of the Egg Bowl and how important that game was to both schools."
Ole Miss is coming off a come-from-behind win against Florida, is No. 48 in the official NCAA RPI and, like it is most every season, firmly on the bubble in late January. Just practically it can hardly afford a home loss against Mississippi State (RPI No. 210), even if the Bulldogs have won two of their last three.
"We're just looking forward to playing them," Newby said.

messageboardsuperhero
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
"We always have a better record than Mississippi State."

"by them being State they feel like they're the underdogs of the state of Mississippi"

LOL, it's like basketball was invented two years ago or something. I really want to get our program back on track- and at least a small part of that is because I want to make them our bitch again. Also, who knew basketball had Super Bowls?***

BeardoMSU
01-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Holy shit that is funny.

BossDawg
01-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Good Lord.... better record? You know what's funny? UMiss is the only school in the SEC that has never won a regular season SEC championship. Never, seriously.

And the Super Bowl garbage? If I recall correctly our fans have never stormed the playing surface after beating UMiss. Remember how UMiss fans went batshit crazy after the '12 Egg Bowl?

All of that crap the players said in the article is the same ol' canned material everyone associated with UMiss says to make themselves feel better. Deep down they know their athletic department isn't some elite organization that's light years ahead of State, and it drives them batty to a state of delusion where they just can't grasp.reality.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Amazing! What is the overall record between the two schools? For all if Ray's faults, he has held serve against Mississippi. What is Mr. International Incident's against MSU? What was his record against Stands? We have won as many NCAA tournament games then they have even played in.

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Whatever.... I guess they will trot out this same party line for the baseball series....

I went to alot of games there in the 90s. They had that little shithole of a gym rocking. They pulled some very elaborate (but lame) stunts prior to those games to excite their crowd.

Yeah, they never cared about this game.****

nsvltndog
01-27-2015, 08:42 PM
I'll pretend like I'm a Black Bear for a minute. MSU leads the all time basketball series 140-106 and leads the series against Andy Kennedy coached teams 10-7. I did the research quick so I apologize if I made any errors on my cocktail napkin math. The only difference in my approach and the typical Bear fan is that I only have to go back 2 years to feel good about myself instead of several decades.

HailState39110
01-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Kellenburger
http://www.nndb.com/people/728/000160248/jonah-hill-1-sized.jpg

MabenMaroon
01-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Kellenburger

"Son, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life." Dean Wermer

( Maybe he can get a job as a sensitivity counselor in his next career move )

DawgHouseUnited
01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
"Son, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life." Dean Wermer

( Maybe he can get a job as a sensitivity counselor in his next career move )

Seven years of college, down the drain! Might as well join the peace corps.

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2015, 09:16 AM
It's sad how far our basketball program has sunk in such a short amount of time.

MadDawg
01-28-2015, 09:36 AM
It's sad how far our basketball program has sunk in such a short amount of time.

"We always have a better record than Mississippi State..."

This is the new reality. It's what we chose. Get used to it.

starkvegasdawg
01-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Kellenburger

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/232/0/9/retarded_cartman_motivation_by_bully_bunny-d479sex.jpg

engie
01-28-2015, 09:41 AM
All we care about is Ole Miss. Didn't everyone get that memo when we moved on from a guy who hadn't lost a season series to them in 14 years? Hell, going back to the start of Stansbury, they've only recently gone above .500 against us in the water polo arena. They've won in the Hump what? Once? in the last 16 years?

I seen it dawg
01-28-2015, 09:45 AM
They are irrelevant

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Actually at the moment in men's basketball WE are irrelevant. Things have changed in a few short years.

I seen it dawg
01-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Actually at the moment in men's basketball WE are irrelevant. Things have changed in a few short years.

That's not the context of the thread. And exactly what makes the OM comments about it stupid.

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2015, 12:52 PM
That's not the context of the thread. And exactly what makes the OM comments about it stupid.

Martavious Newby is a junior. From his experience he is telling it like it is. Truth hurts but that IS where we are now.

BeardoMSU
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Martavious Newby is a junior. From his experience he is telling it like it is. Truth hurts but that IS where we are now.

And to add to this sentiment, without being a total downer....

I'm not expecting to win. Actually, I think they're gonna drop a C-note on us. I hope it doesn't happen, but that's what I expect. Also, as I've said before regarding basketball this season: I want Scott's decision for our future to be as easy as possible at season's end. If that means getting embarrassed by our rival, so be it...It's worked before [cough, 2008, cough], and look where we are now in that sport.

Dawg61
01-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Midget Moody is going to score 30 on us tonight

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
We'll do our typical thing and fall behind by about 14....but instead of making a comeback, it will probably stretch out since it's a road game and since OM will CARE so much. My prediction...

BlackBears 78
BrownBags 57

Dawg61
01-28-2015, 04:24 PM
We'll do our typical thing and fall behind by about 14....but instead of making a comeback, it will probably stretch out since it's a road game and since OM will CARE so much. My prediction...

BlackBears 78
BrownBags 57

I haven't been impressed with the Bears. OM 70 MSU 67

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:26 PM

I haven't been impressed with the Dawgs*

Dawg61
01-28-2015, 04:30 PM
I haven't been impressed with the Dawgs*

Good point. OM 70 MSU 63

msstate7
01-28-2015, 04:35 PM

What scares me about the Bears is they can really shoot from the outside. For us to have a shot, they either have to be off or we have to dominate the paint.

Dawg61
01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
What scares me about the Bears is they can really shoot from the outside. For us to have a shot, they either have to be off or we have to dominate the paint.

They are weak in the paint. They have Saez and that's it and he seems more finesse than anything to me. Ware and Roq should clean up down low tonight.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2015, 04:52 PM

When was the last time our opponent didn't have at least 1 guy that was hot from outside against us? Had to have been around 1972*

I fully expect some bench warmer for OM to hit six 3's and score 30 tonight.

msstate7
01-28-2015, 05:08 PM
When was the last time our opponent didn't have at least 1 guy that was hot from outside against us? Had to have been around 1972*

I fully expect some bench warmer for OM to hit six 3's and score 30 tonight.

snoop white