PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting closeout...

maroonmania
01-27-2015, 02:59 PM
So it sounds like we are just sort of waiting on Miggins and possibly Lewis at this point and maybe deciding on McNair's status this weekend. Anything else still up in the air? Any other prospects coming in this weekend that aren't already committed?

defiantdog
01-27-2015, 03:03 PM
So it sounds like we are just sort of waiting on Miggins and possibly Lewis at this point and maybe deciding on McNair's status this weekend. Anything else still up in the air? Any other prospects coming in this weekend that aren't already committed?

By waiting, you mean the coaches are knocking down their doors until signing day right?

maroonmania
01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
By waiting, you mean the coaches are knocking down their doors until signing day right?

OK, I'M waiting on final decisions from Miggins and Lewis. Yes, I certainly hope our coaches are doing much more than that.

FISHDAWG
01-27-2015, 05:23 PM

McNair has just been crystal balled 100% to Louisville

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Darrien-McNair-at-Trinity-Catholic-62185/CurrentExpertPredictions

Dawg496
01-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Come on down Leo Lewis.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2015, 05:35 PM

I still keep hearing we will sign one more OL. I could be wrong, but I expect one more OL on the board on signing day.

msstate7
01-27-2015, 05:39 PM
I still keep hearing we will sign one more OL. I could be wrong, but I expect one more OL on the board on signing day.

Gotta be Gilliam if we get another, right?

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Gotta be Gilliam if we get another, right?

I don't think anyone expected Ronald Cochran on the board last year, I could see an instate kid or maybe someone from AL get a late offer. Was hoping we would go after Steven Clark from Bama, Florida jumped on him, he is a Syracuse commit. Solid looking player.

Bothrops
01-27-2015, 06:31 PM

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Darrien-McNair-at-Trinity-Catholic-62185/CurrentExpertPredictions

That was done several days ago, and is scheduled to visit us this weekend. I suspect he either commits to Louisville in the next day or two, or he ends up staying with us.

msstate7
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't think anyone expected Ronald Cochran on the board last year, I could see an instate kid or maybe someone from AL get a late offer. Was hoping we would go after Steven Clark from Bama, Florida jumped on him, he is a Syracuse commit. Solid looking player.

If we go after another ol commit, I'll be somewhat disappointed we didn't keep trey derouen unless of course we hit a late hr

Big4Dawg
01-27-2015, 07:23 PM

You CAN NOT predict a recruit to a school he is already committed to (as much as Ole Miss and David Johnson tries).

Big4Dawg
01-27-2015, 07:24 PM
If we go after another ol commit, I'll be somewhat disappointed we didn't keep trey derouen unless of course we hit a late hr

Story took his spot.

We might bring in the Wake commitment for a visit this weekend. Still up in the air.

msstate7
01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Story took his spot.

We might bring in the Wake commitment for a visit this weekend. Still up in the air.

Yeah. I said "if" we take another ol. I'm happy with story.

Really Clark?
01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Story took his spot.

And the JUCO guard from California. But both of these players are very much in the air right now.

sbcmortgageman
01-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Slight chance Linton visits.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Slight chance Linton visits.

That would be outstanding. Linton and Peters would be a dynamic safety duo.

bulldawg28
01-27-2015, 08:43 PM
That would be outstanding. Linton and Peters would be a dynamic safety duo.

McLaurin and Peters All American safeties.

Really Clark?
01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
McLaurin might grow into a LB though. I can see that happening pretty easy.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2015, 08:29 AM
You CAN NOT predict a recruit to a school he is already committed to (as much as Ole Miss and David Johnson tries).

has he de-committed from us and committed to Louisville ? (I may have missed this )

bulldawg28
01-28-2015, 08:30 AM
McLaurin might grow into a LB though. I can see that happening pretty easy.

Peters has a larger frame of the two. However, those dudes are ideal safeties.

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Peters has a larger frame of the two. However, those dudes are ideal safeties.

They both could but Peters is a little shorter and a few lbs heavier making him look thicker. McLaurin is 6' 3" and over 200lbs already. Both are bigger than Wells when he came out of high school. I can see McLaurin getting up to 210-215 before the fall. But either one or both could grow out of the safety position. Hopefully Peters won't.

GreenheadDawg
01-28-2015, 10:11 AM
They both could but Peters is a little shorter and a few lbs heavier making him look thicker. McLaurin is 6' 3" and over 200lbs already. Both are bigger than Wells when he came out of high school. I can see McLaurin getting up to 210-215 before the fall. But either one or both could grow out of the safety position. Hopefully Peters won't.
I've never understood why people want to move a guy to LB because he weighs 215-220 lbs. if he has the speed and hip quickness just let him be a headhunting safety that puts the fear of God in receivers coming across the middle

MetEdDawg
01-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Here's the problem I have with the whole growing out of a position thing. We are 100% involved in that process. Guys don't grow out of positions on our team. We figure out the role we want them to play and we adjust their body accordingly. Cox and Eulls are prime examples. They didn't grow out of DE. WE grew them out of DE. I have always loved what we do with our guys in terms of body mass and muscle at every position except one. Safety. I HATE how our safeties are built.

Look at Landon Collins. 6' 0" 222 pounds according to his bio. Ha Ha Clinton Dix. 6'1' 208 pounds. There are many other examples around the SEC of these bigger safeties that are still good in coverage. Then look at our last few guys. Jay Hughes - 5' 11" 195 pounds. Kendrick Market - 5' 10" 188 pounds. Cox was 6'3" but only 200 pounds. And there are many others that were below 200 pounds or right around there. Nickoe was 6' 1" 205 and I like that better than a tall lanky guy like Cox (who by the way has been totally erased from our databanks). Jamal Peters is 6' 1.5" and 205 pounds. Why can't we have him play safety in our system at his speed instead of trying to move him to LB?

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I've never understood why people want to move a guy to LB because he weighs 215-220 lbs. if he has the speed and hip quickness just let him be a headhunting safety that puts the fear of God in receivers coming across the middle

I didn't say that. I said I could see either one (especially McLaurin) growing out of safety. Not just because he might be 215 in the fall but after a year or two he might be 225-235, or more. Could easily happen. But I didn't say you try to make them grow into a LB. Might just happen naturally.

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Here's the problem I have with the whole growing out of a position thing. We are 100% involved in that process. Guys don't grow out of positions on our team. We figure out the role we want them to play and we adjust their body accordingly. Cox and Eulls are prime examples. They didn't grow out of DE. WE grew them out of DE. I have always loved what we do with our guys in terms of body mass and muscle at every position except one. Safety. I HATE how our safeties are built.

Look at Landon Collins. 6' 0" 222 pounds according to his bio. Ha Ha Clinton Dix. 6'1' 208 pounds. There are many other examples around the SEC of these bigger safeties that are still good in coverage. Then look at our last few guys. Jay Hughes - 5' 11" 195 pounds. Kendrick Market - 5' 10" 188 pounds. Cox was 6'3" but only 200 pounds. And there are many others that were below 200 pounds or right around there. Nickoe was 6' 1" 205 and I like that better than a tall lanky guy like Cox (who by the way has been totally erased from our databanks). Jamal Peters is 6' 1.5" and 205 pounds. Why can't we have him play safety in our system at his speed instead of trying to move him to LB?

I agree but some guys are going to grow naturally as well. Personally I'd it's going to happen between McLaurin or Peters I want Peters to stay at safety more. And I know both of these young men. But McLaurin is already over 200 and at 6'3" it could happen. But I was not advocating we purposefully try to grow them into LB. I just said I can see it happening with McLaurin naturally. You got to look at their size in relation to their schools weight programs as well. They have a lot of raw material that could explode with a true program.

bulldawg28
01-28-2015, 10:37 AM
I agree but some guys are going to grow naturally as well. Personally I'd it's going to happen between McLaurin or Peters I want Peters to stay at safety more. And I know both of these young men. But McLaurin is already over 200 and at 6'3" it could happen. But I was not advocating we purposefully try to grow them into LB. I just said I can see it happening with McLaurin naturally. You got to look at their size in relation to their schools weight programs as well. They have a lot of raw material that could explode with a true program.

6'3 200 lbs is actually slim . Most of that weight is due to height alone. He'll easily gain 20 lbs without slowing down at all.

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 10:46 AM
6'3 200 lbs is actually slim . Most of that weight is due to height alone. He'll easily gain 20 lbs without slowing down at all.

He is over 200 right now, not 200 lbs even and will be 210-15 by summer unless something changes. Maybe more. He is gaining mass on his own. I'm not advocating a change just saying it is something that may happen naturally.

Johnson85
01-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Here's the problem I have with the whole growing out of a position thing. We are 100% involved in that process. Guys don't grow out of positions on our team. We figure out the role we want them to play and we adjust their body accordingly. Cox and Eulls are prime examples. They didn't grow out of DE. WE grew them out of DE.

We are involved in that process usually, but sometimes we don't have a say. We didn't grow Cox out of DE. Coaches may have suspected he was going inside, I don't know, but there was nothing we could have done to keep him DE sized. We might could have just relied on him being a freak athlete and letting him be an oversized DE, but he was always going to pack on weight. Same thing with Thomas. He showed up to school too big to be a DE (I assume the coaches knew he would end up inside).

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 10:55 AM
We are involved in that process usually, but sometimes we don't have a say. We didn't grow Cox out of DE. Coaches may have suspected he was going inside, I don't know, but there was nothing we could have done to keep him DE sized. We might could have just relied on him being a freak athlete and letting him be an oversized DE, but he was always going to pack on weight. Same thing with Thomas. He showed up to school too big to be a DE (I assume the coaches knew he would end up inside).

Agree and same thing happened to Chris Jones.

MetEdDawg
01-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Kids don't just put on 60-80 pounds like that without some help or a specific program designed to gain weight. We beefed him up for sure. He was already 6' 4" 240 when he got out of high school so it's not like he was small and hit a huge growth spurt and we just had to move him. We helped him put that weight on because the plan was move him inside to DT.

I mean I know he was 18 at the time, but there's no way he just packed on 60 pounds and we were like damn well there goes him playing DE. We were involved in that process.

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Kids don't just put on 60-80 pounds like that without some help or a specific program designed to gain weight. We beefed him up for sure. He was already 6' 4" 240 when he got out of high school so it's not like he was small and hit a huge growth spurt and we just had to move him. We helped him put that weight on because the plan was move him inside to DT.

I mean I know he was 18 at the time, but there's no way he just packed on 60 pounds and we were like damn well there goes him playing DE. We were involved in that process.

Chris Jones and Cox absolutely did. Did we enhance what was going to happen? Well yeah, but they were exploding on their own. And Jones was still bigger than we wanted.

msstate7
01-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Speaking of Chris jones...

Should we put him on a Gavin ware diet? Instead of 260, raise the bar to 285. Imo, we should

Homedawg
01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Agree and same thing happened to Chris Jones.

No. Chris was 300lbs in April before he got here. We didn't make him that big- God did.

Really Clark?
01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
No. Chris was 300lbs in April before he got here. We didn't make him that big- God did.

Uh...yeah I know. I was agreeing that kids just grow. Especially Jones. I didn't say we did that. Although with Cox we may have helped that along some.