PDA

View Full Version : I think this class is going to break a record

justwin
01-26-2015, 11:17 PM
for number of players who will play immediately under Mullen. I think at least the following 11 play this year:

Donald Gray - Juco WR
Rankin 6'5 300 - Juco OL
Johnathan Calvin 6'4 250 - Juco DL
Jamal Peters - 6'2 200lb safety
Mark McLaurin - 6'3 200lb safety. He has some really good ball skills in his video as a WR too
Fletcher Adams 6'3 260 DL - can't imagine how exciting it will be for he and his older bro to play alongside one another
Smitherman - 5'9 180 CB
Moton - 6'3 310 DL
Dontea Jones - 6'4 230 WR/TE
Keith Joseph - 6'3 240 DL
Darryl Williams - 6'4 300 C/OG - he's my wildcard as it always seems like one TR OL plays

I don't think Mullen has had more than 8 true freshman play before.

What true freshman will make the biggest impact? I'm going with Mark McLaurin at safety.

Thompson92
01-26-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm with you, I think McLaurin will end up being really good. Adams could play soon too, I love his energy.
What's amazing to me is the WR depth we'll have, from experienced guys like Morrow and Wilson to newcomers like Mixon and Justin Johnson. Exciting stuff.

DistrictDawg92
01-26-2015, 11:35 PM
I can't see us playing D. Jones as a true freshman, not a knock on his skill but he had knee problems at the end of his senior year. I just don't see us risking getting him injured, we have plenty of depth at receiver. I do agree with everyone else though and don't sleep Stamps either, he has the size and range to be playing now.

mparkerfd20
01-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Do some have the ability? Absolutely. Will they in Mullen's system? Absolutely not! 10 plus true freshman playing will not happen.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I can't see us playing D. Jones as a true freshman, not a knock on his skill but he had knee problems at the end of his senior year. I just don't see us risking getting him injured, we have plenty of depth at receiver. I do agree with everyone else though and don't sleep Stamps either, he has the size and range to be playing now.

Dontea knee injury was minor he had come back from that. He just separated his shoulder the 1st game back & that ended his season. If he shows a willingness to block he can definitely get some p/t at TE. He will be the most talented player in the TE room.

smootness
01-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Do some have the ability? Absolutely. Will they in Mullen's system? Absolutely not! 10 plus true freshman playing will not happen.

I agree with you. From that list, I don't think Williams, Joseph, Smitherman, or McLaurin will play. And I think only one of Adams/Moton plays, probably Adams. McLaurin is good enough, but I can't see us putting Brandon Bryant, Peters, and McLaurin all in the same class.

Alldawg
01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Gray - No doubt will play
Rankin - Will have a chance to start
Calvin -- Has a chance to play
Peters - Could be a starter by mid season
McLaurin - Likely red shirt
Adams - May be asked to shirt but possibly too good to sit
Smitherman - Red shirt
Moton - will play in rotation
Jones - Likely to red shirt
Joseph - likely to red shirt
Williams - likely to red shirt

All this is saying is that there is enough upper classmen and incoming redshirts on campus ready to go

defiantdog
01-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Stamps needs to hit a weight room

HoopsDawg
01-27-2015, 02:31 PM
for number of players who will play immediately under Mullen. I think at least the following 11 play this year:

Donald Gray - Juco WR
Rankin 6'5 300 - Juco OL
Johnathan Calvin 6'4 250 - Juco DL
Jamal Peters - 6'2 200lb safety
Mark McLaurin - 6'3 200lb safety. He has some really good ball skills in his video as a WR too
Fletcher Adams 6'3 260 DL - can't imagine how exciting it will be for he and his older bro to play alongside one another
Smitherman - 5'9 180 CB
Moton - 6'3 310 DL
Dontea Jones - 6'4 230 WR/TE
Keith Joseph - 6'3 240 DL
Darryl Williams - 6'4 300 C/OG - he's my wildcard as it always seems like one TR OL plays

I don't think Mullen has had more than 8 true freshman play before.

What true freshman will make the biggest impact? I'm going with Mark McLaurin at safety.

I don't see any true freshman playing next year except for Peters.

HoopsDawg
01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Stamps needs to hit a weight room

Yes, he is extremely thin. He needs a redshirt.

MetEdDawg
01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Some CB is going to be forced to play. Calhoun, Redmond, and Cleveland are there for sure. But who else? Can't rely on Jiles. Irvin-Sills in his limited back up reps was beyond horrible. Chris Rayford redshirted and is an unknown. Smitherman and/or Stamps will have to play just looking at that. You need at least 5 CBs in my opinion ready to go and outside of the firs three mentioned it's a total crapshoot.

The CB group will be very thin on proven talent after next year which is why we are on so many for 2016 already. Any top level CB from next year's class will play instantly because both Redmond and Calhoun are gone and we don't have the quality depth we need there. This is my biggest injury concern position. If the class holds, we've now got a lot of options at safety. Young options, but talented options. Same at DE/DT with the class we are bringing in plus all the RS from last year. But not at CB. Right now Irvin-Sills is a 2nd team CB and that is bad bad news.

jumbo
01-27-2015, 02:51 PM
jucos don't count, imo. no way 10 true freshman play.

I see Peters, McLaurin (maybe), Moton or Adams, maybe Joseph and one of the CBs. Probably Smitherman.

HoopsDawg
01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Some CB is going to be forced to play. Calhoun, Redmond, and Cleveland are there for sure. But who else? Can't rely on Jiles. Irvin-Sills in his limited back up reps was beyond horrible. Chris Rayford redshirted and is an unknown. Smitherman and/or Stamps will have to play just looking at that. You need at least 5 CBs in my opinion ready to go and outside of the firs three mentioned it's a total crapshoot.

The CB group will be very thin on proven talent after next year which is why we are on so many for 2016 already. Any top level CB from next year's class will play instantly because both Redmond and Calhoun are gone and we don't have the quality depth we need there. This is my biggest injury concern position. If the class holds, we've now got a lot of options at safety. Young options, but talented options. Same at DE/DT with the class we are bringing in plus all the RS from last year. But not at CB. Right now Irvin-Sills is a 2nd team CB and that is bad bad news.

Yes and Cleveland may be moving to S. So you've got Calhoun and Redmond as the clear starters. If one of those guys gets hurt, Cleveland will have to move back to corner. Honestly, I don't really like any of the other corners on the roster. So yeah, Smitherman or Stamps will be forced to play if they are better than Jiles, Irvin-Sills, and Rayford. But Stamps needs to add weight and Smitherman is pretty small. We really need a top flight corner in this class. We should have been on Tony Bridges much earlier. And losing Shepard to OM last year still hurts.

GTHOM
01-27-2015, 03:16 PM
I don't see any true freshman playing next year except for Peters.

if that happens then mullen needs his ass kicked

defiantdog
01-27-2015, 03:26 PM
We may see a few true freshmen play..... but nothing spectacular. The players always have the opportunity to red shirt or play, but it also depends on our needs. For example, say we sign Leo. If R Brown or Green go down with an injury, Leo would have to step up. But at the same time, I see McLaurin and Peters both hitting the field. But again, nothing substantial until after the fourth of fifth game of the season. It's a lot easier to send a true freshmen receiver on the field than a safety or linebacker. But since we are loaded at the receiver position, I don't see that happening. Don't be disappointed if only 3 or 4 of these guys see the field next year.

maroonmania
01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Yes and Cleveland may be moving to S. So you've got Calhoun and Redmond as the clear starters. If one of those guys gets hurt, Cleveland will have to move back to corner. Honestly, I don't really like any of the other corners on the roster. So yeah, Smitherman or Stamps will be forced to play if they are better than Jiles, Irvin-Sills, and Rayford. But Stamps needs to add weight and Smitherman is pretty small. We really need a top flight corner in this class. We should have been on Tony Bridges much earlier. And losing Shepard to OM last year still hurts.

Calhoun and Redmond are the starters. I believe Irvin-Sills and Jiles will be the primary backups. Rayford would be our only other CB that is not a true freshman if Cleveland stays at S. And yes, losing Shepard to Freeze's all-night phone marathon pre-signing day does definitely hurt us.