PDA

View Full Version : Can you chicken littles all take a few weeks off?

CadaverDawg
01-25-2015, 01:23 PM
There are a few of our "fans" on this board that are either trolls, or they are such paranoid people that they are probably posting from a DoomsDay Bunker somewhere. Chill the hell out about recruiting. We have a damn good recruiting class, and the great part about them is that they have all been on board for a while and are all developing team and family chemistry.

OM is going to get good players too, because they are in the SEC. But the way each of us is recruiting is about like it always has been except we've both moved a little higher. Meanwhile, we always finish above them in the standings, and we have won 4 of the last 6, and will likely beat them in 2015 in Starkville. Why do some of you allow them to get in your heads? Their class isn't that great, and the only reason it is getting attention now, is because they didn't have many commits before now. Don't allow yourselves to be suckered into it. Instead, try using that energy as a positive towards OUR class.

Some of you 2%'s are making the other 98% of us look like morons because we are associated with such over dramatic panickers. Chill out.

Drugdog
01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
There are a few of our "fans" on this board that are either trolls, or they are such paranoid people that they are probably posting from a DoomsDay Bunker somewhere. Chill the hell out about recruiting. We have a damn good recruiting class, and the great part about them is that they have all been on board for a while and are all developing team and family chemistry.

OM is going to get good players too, because they are in the SEC. But the way each of us is recruiting is about like it always has been except we've both moved a little higher. Meanwhile, we always finish above them in the standings, and we have won 4 of the last 6, and will likely beat them in 2015 in Starkville. Why do some of you allow them to get in your heads? Their class isn't that great, and the only reason it is getting attention now, is because they didn't have many commits before now. Don't allow yourselves to be suckered into it. Instead, try using that energy as a positive towards OUR class.

Some of you 2%'s are making the other 98% of us look like morons because we are associated with such over dramatic panickers. Chill out.

Thank you again. Enjoy life. We are a program on the rise. We get the players that fit us. NOT them. Relax.

defiantdog
01-25-2015, 01:54 PM

It's all about recruiting Cadaver..... haven't you been told? Look at TCU, their recruiting classes were ranked 42nd last year and 31st this year. That's pretty damn good for a team that barely beat a top recruiting team like OM in the Peach Bowl..... sarcasm. But that's not fair. I'll get a better example. How about a Baylor team that should have beat Michigan State. They were ranked 26th last year. So this year they have to be better..... nope..... their recruiting class is ranked 34th. Why don't we even compare Michigan State who every analyst says will make the 4 team playoff next year. Their last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 33rd, 37th, 25th and 28th.

This is just odd. Maybe, just maybe..... these successful coaches are able to evaluate talent and recruit based on the team's needs. And if some of you think our recruiting classes have sucked..... go look at Oregon's. We are right on par with them, and they are consistently in the hunt for a national title. I can't wait for February 5th.

Big4Dawg
01-25-2015, 02:33 PM
It's all about recruiting Cadaver..... haven't you been told? Look at TCU, their recruiting classes were ranked 42nd last year and 31st this year. That's pretty damn good for a team that barely beat a top recruiting team like OM in the Peach Bowl..... sarcasm. But that's not fair. I'll get a better example. How about a Baylor team that should have beat Michigan State. They were ranked 26th last year. So this year they have to be better..... nope..... their recruiting class is ranked 34th. Why don't we even compare Michigan State who every analyst says will make the 4 team playoff next year. Their last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 33rd, 37th, 25th and 28th.

This is just odd. Maybe, just maybe..... these successful coaches are able to evaluate talent and recruit based on the team's needs. And if some of you think our recruiting classes have sucked..... go look at Oregon's. We are right on par with them, and they are consistently in the hunt for a national title. I can't wait for February 5th.

So you mentioned TCU, Baylor, Michigan State, and Oregon. Here is the rest of the top 10 (showed Oregon to show we don't recruit as good as them. Our best class isn't as good as their worst).

The top 10 currently:
Ohio State - 16, 7, 5, 2
Oregon - 13, 11, 13, 19
Bama - 6, 1, 1, 1
FSU - 7, 2, 3, 10
GTA - 42, 44, 52, 76
UGA - 12, 6, 8, 11
UCLA - 10, 45, 19, 7

Stars don't matter?

CadaverDawg
01-25-2015, 02:38 PM
So you mentioned TCU, Baylor, Michigan State, and Oregon. Here is the rest of the top 10 (showed Oregon to show we don't recruit as good as them. Our best class isn't as good as their worst).

The top 10 currently:
Ohio State - 16, 7, 5, 2
Oregon - 13, 11, 13, 19
Bama - 6, 1, 1, 1
FSU - 7, 2, 3, 10
GTA - 42, 44, 52, 76
UGA - 12, 6, 8, 11
UCLA - 10, 45, 19, 7

Stars don't matter?

They clearly aren't ALL that matters, otherwise there wouldn't be about 5 teams in the top 10 that recruit on our level or worse.

But if you think Freeze is on the same level as Meyer, Saban, etc...you may be right.

Really Clark?
01-25-2015, 02:44 PM

The top 10 currently:
Ohio State - 16, 7, 5, 2
Oregon - 13, 11, 13, 19
Bama - 6, 1, 1, 1
FSU - 7, 2, 3, 10
GTA - 42, 44, 52, 76
UGA - 12, 6, 8, 11
UCLA - 10, 45, 19, 7

Stars don't matter?

So you are saying TCU, Baylor, GA Tech, Oregon, Michigan State and UCLA all finished in the top 10 without averaging top 10 in recruiting for the last 4 years. Over Half of the teams and four of those recuited outside the top 25 and also finished top 10. Looks like to me it shows that it matters only 50% of the time. Kind of confirms what a lot of people say. Recruiting matters but there is more than one way to finish in the top 10. And if we expand to us at 12 how many teams finished in the top 12 without averaging top 12 in recruiting? 50% or more again? Half the time is what you are pinning stars matter for the top 10

defiantdog
01-25-2015, 02:50 PM

The top 10 currently:
Ohio State - 16, 7, 5, 2
Oregon - 13, 11, 13, 19
Bama - 6, 1, 1, 1
FSU - 7, 2, 3, 10
GTA - 42, 44, 52, 76
UGA - 12, 6, 8, 11
UCLA - 10, 45, 19, 7

Stars don't matter?

Stars do matter..... just ask Florida. They're dominate every year (except this year) in recruiting.

2009 - 7th
2010 - 1st
2011 - 12th
2012 - 4th
2013 - 3rd
2014 - 9th
2015 - 81st

They have beat us every year except for this year, yet they suck. Stars matter but coaching and having a team that plays together matters more.

Big4Dawg
01-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Okay - yes, us, GT, and TCU all had great years. We also finished 7-6 last year, TCU finished 4-8, and GT finished 7-6. So while all of us finished in the top 12 last year, one had a losing record, 2 barely made bowls. I'm willing to bet years like are outliners, more than common years, for teams like ours.

defiantdog
01-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Okay - yes, us, GT, and TCU all had great years. We also finished 7-6 last year, TCU finished 4-8, and GT finished 7-6. So while all of us finished in the top 12 last year, one had a losing record, 2 barely made bowls. I'm willing to bet years like are outliners, more than common years, for teams like ours.

-TCU-
2008: 11-2
2009: 12-1
2010: 13-0 *won the Rose Bowl*
2011: 11-2
2012: 7-6 *first year in the big 12*
2013: 4-8
2014: 12-1

-GT-
2008: 9-4
2009: 6-7
2010: 8-5
2011: 11-2
2012: 7-7 *beat USC in the Sun Bowl*
2013: 7-6
2014: 11-3

Seems to me that they have both been fairly successful for a while.

Really Clark?
01-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Really? You are willing to bet that this was just an odd year for TCU? Rose Bowl 2010 comes to mind. Not to mention 2009, 2008, for them. GA Tech also went to Orange Bowl in 2009 and finished top 10. Just like different teams win or play for the national title every year you have different teams in the top 10. Around 40-60% of those teams every year recuited outside that in the rankings. When it's nearly every year that half of the top 10 teams don't consistantly recruit top 10 talent, according to the sites, wouldn't you say that with the odds at 50/50 then the end all be all of just stars is incorrect. You do have to have talent but they do not have to be recruiting website talent. They have to be the talent you select that you believe you can compete with. These teams are competing consistantly.

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
**** me I clicked on a recruiting thread. Guess I gotta double circumcise myself now.**

Liverpooldawg
01-25-2015, 05:45 PM
I never get too worked up over recruiting. Get back to me in 5 years and I'll tell you how well we did this year.

RougeDawg
01-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Those f*cks could pull a top 5 class this year and have the best WR n the history of football, but they still don't have a proven QB to even get them the ball. Who gives a f*ck who they sign? They've wasted more talent than any other program in FBS in recent history. Someone wrote an article a while back about recruiting class ranks and translated wins and they had the worst rate of return. Let those clowns break the bank every year. They still finish behind us and do not have a solid foundation for sustained success. They hope to strike gold with their shotgun, crap shoot recruiting approach.

MetEdDawg
01-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Here's the thing with all of those teams that finished in the Top 10 without big time recruiting classes: they don't play in the SEC. I'm all for our current style of building talent, developing players in our system, and building a fantastic team chemistry. I think it fits us and we do it well. But you guys are kidding yourself if you ever think we will compete for a national title without at least one Top 10 or Top 15 class somewhere. We HAVE to start developing players and building talent but with kids that have

Yes yes yes we were number 1 in the country for a while. But we didn't get it done. We have to bring in some big time talent to get through the gauntlet of today's SEC. It's just a requirement that I think we have to have to get to the top. Like I said, I love our style of recruiting because it has worked up to this point. But to take the next step we've got to start bringing in some top level talent. I think this class has some of that for sure, but it's the kind of class that also includes Leo and Champion that we need to get to the very top in my opinion.

Really Clark?
01-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Here's the thing with all of those teams that finished in the Top 10 without big time recruiting classes: they don't play in the SEC. I'm all for our current style of building talent, developing players in our system, and building a fantastic team chemistry. I think it fits us and we do it well. But you guys are kidding yourself if you ever think we will compete for a national title without at least one Top 10 or Top 15 class somewhere. We HAVE to start developing players and building talent but with kids that have

Yes yes yes we were number 1 in the country for a while. But we didn't get it done. We have to bring in some big time talent to get through the gauntlet of today's SEC. It's just a requirement that I think we have to have to get to the top. Like I said, I love our style of recruiting because it has worked up to this point. But to take the next step we've got to start bringing in some top level talent. I think this class has some of that for sure, but it's the kind of class that also includes Leo and Champion that we need to get to the very top in my opinion.

So you disregard when those teams beat an SEC head to head? I do think it is harder in the SEC but you have had So Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas under Petrino, A & M all finish in the top 10 and even higher the last 5 years with recruiting rankings less and in some cases much less than top 10. And we were one win from doing it this year. So don't tell me you can't in the SEC when someone does it every year.

MetEdDawg
01-25-2015, 07:33 PM
So you disregard when those teams beat an SEC head to head? I do think it is harder in the SEC but you have had So Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas under Petrino, A & M all finish in the top 10 and even higher the last 5 years with recruiting rankings less and in some cases much less than top 10. And we were one win from doing it this year. So don't tell me you can't in the SEC when someone does it every year.

I absolutely do. It's not that hard to win one game against an SEC team. Everyone gets up for games against us. But put those teams through the grind of an SEC schedule every week and those flaws come out and are exposed. TCU doesn't finish 12-1 with our schedule this year.

And I will say it again, all of those teams finished in the Top 10 sure. But they didn't play for a national title. They got close, but there are examples every year of teams that finish close but don't quite get there. And there are also examples every single year of schools with one or more Top 10 recruiting classes that play for a national title. There's a reason teams get to the top. They develop talent but they also recruit at a high level.

I said it at the end of the season. There are too many factors that have to come into play for us to continue recruiting at our current level and get to a national title. We had a down SEC this year where only 3 teams returned their starting QB from the previous year. The best QB we ever had. Probably the best coach we've ever had and probably the best offense we've ever had. Most favorable schedule we could have asked for. We went 10-3. It's clearly better than what we've done and don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic we got here. But I think that we have to start recruiting better if we want to do better than that going forward.

The only thing there we have control of is our schedule and our recruiting and this year our schedule was not the issue. We HAVE to recruit at a higher level plain and simple and I will maintain that until we throw a couple of Top 15 classes together 2 out of 3 years, we have a ceiling on where we can go as a program. It's just too hard to get through the SEC when you are going against elite talent at other schools with just as good or better coaches.

maroonmania
01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
It's all about recruiting Cadaver..... haven't you been told?

And if you haven't just ask Barrett Sallee or Dave Bartoo and they will tell you. Although at least Bartoo factors in something for the HC as well.

State82
01-25-2015, 07:44 PM
And if you haven't just ask Barrett Sallee or Dave Bartoo and they will tell you. Although at least Bartoo factors in something for the HC as well.

Barrett Sallee, sir, is no Dave Bartoo! (Said in my best vice presidential debate voice)**

Really Clark?
01-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I absolutely do. It's not that hard to win one game against an SEC team. Everyone gets up for games against us. But put those teams through the grind of an SEC schedule every week and those flaws come out and are exposed. TCU doesn't finish 12-1 with our schedule this year.

And I will say it again, all of those teams finished in the Top 10 sure. But they didn't play for a national title. They got close, but there are examples every year of teams that finish close but don't quite get there. And there are also examples every single year of schools with one or more Top 10 recruiting classes that play for a national title. There's a reason teams get to the top. They develop talent but they also recruit at a high level.

I said it at the end of the season. There are too many factors that have to come into play for us to continue recruiting at our current level and get to a national title. We had a down SEC this year where only 3 teams returned their starting QB from the previous year. The best QB we ever had. Probably the best coach we've ever had and probably the best offense we've ever had. Most favorable schedule we could have asked for. We went 10-3. It's clearly better than what we've done and don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic we got here. But I think that we have to start recruiting better if we want to do better than that going forward.

The only thing there we have control of is our schedule and our recruiting and this year our schedule was not the issue. We HAVE to recruit at a higher level plain and simple and I will maintain that until we throw a couple of Top 15 classes together 2 out of 3 years, we have a ceiling on where we can go as a program. It's just too hard to get through the SEC when you are going against elite talent at other schools with just as good or better coaches.

Bull. This year TCU absolutely does. They were that good. They might have played closer games but they are very good and could have won 12 games in the SEC this year as well. You want prime examples, Missouri and A & M came in and have competed very well.

If you are going to narrow it down now to just national titles then, before the playoffs, you only had 20 or so teams that fesibly could win it. That's a different argument and one you have to look very long range. Oregon is finally there but it took them over 25 years. People don't want to hear that but if you are not a traditional power it is very hard. Talent is a component no doubt, but the coaching and substructure advantages inside these programs is huge. With the playoffs and more money you will see more teams to vie for it. So Carolina finished what 4th a few years ago. They were right there for a playoff spot if we had it then. Same for Arkansas and A & M their first year in.

MetEdDawg
01-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Bull. This year TCU absolutely does. They were that good. They might have played closer games but they are very good and could have won 12 games in the SEC this year as well. You want prime examples, Missouri and A & M came in and have competed very well.

If you are going to narrow it down now to just national titles then, before the playoffs, you only had 20 or so teams that fesibly could win it. That's a different argument and one you have to look very long range. Oregon is finally there but it took them over 25 years. People don't want to hear that but if you are not a non traditional power it is very hard. Talent is a component no doubt, but the coaching and substructure advantages inside these programs is huge. With the playoffs and more money you will see more teams to vie for it. So Carolina finished what 4th a few years ago. They were right there for a playoff spot if we had it then. Same for Arkansas and A & M their first year in.

I don't disagree about the coaching. Coaching can elevate teams very high. But eventually opponents adjust and adapt and all you are left with are the kids on the field. But we are trying to become consistent winners, not one hit wonders. SC and Arkansas all had a couple good years. TAMU did too. Then boom it all disappeared. SC was horrible this year and with an improving east I don't see them doing much better next year. Couple that with their last 5 classes finishing out of the Top 15 and I don't see them sustaining top level success. Arkansas is the same.

It does take a long time to put yourself in the upper echelon of the football world. It takes all parts to come together. But there are three things consistent among the elite in college football. Money, coaching, and recruiting. We've got 1 1/2 of those right now. The recruiting isn't there yet and the money isn't where it needs to be but I give it a 1/2 because we are taking the necessary steps forward. Coaching gets a full 1 because I think Mullen does have the personality of a top level coach. We are getting there by taking our time and building the foundation which is exactly what you have to do. But if the recruiting doesn't catch up to the vision we can't sustain upper level success.