PDA

View Full Version : New MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred

gtowndawg
01-25-2015, 12:38 PM
did an interview on ESPN this morning. They did a word association segment with him. Maybe asked about 6 things.

One was College Baseball. His response "Big fan. A product that can grow."

Thought that was interesting.

engie
01-25-2015, 01:09 PM
I think it's pretty obvious in the maneuvering by ESPN that they think it has potential to be a really big draw in the future. At least the postseason tourney does.

Having not seen the numbers recently, there seems to be a gaining consensus in mlb that college first is a better route to take than straight out of high school for most of the guys and most of the teams.

Smitty
01-25-2015, 01:39 PM
I wonder what his thoughts are on overhauling the minor league system. Baseball needs an innovative figure right now.

http://www.sbnation.com/hot-corner/2013/6/3/4392678/bill-james-on-how-to-fix-minor-league-baseball

Todd4State
01-25-2015, 02:55 PM
The thoughts on college baseball have gradually changed over time. Which was one of the good things about Moneyball. I believe that unless you are a Bryce Harper type talent or your family is dirt poor to the point where they need money immediately, you should go to college. Over three years, a player is going to become more mature physically, emotionally, and mentally and I think all of that helps with progressing to MLB.

In the past, MLB and college baseball coaches would clash. MLB scouts/coaches would complain about college coaches like Bianco abusing pitchers and calling it glorified high school ball. College coaches would complain about MLB taking all of their good recruits.

You look at other pro sports like the NFL and NBA and the relationship that they have with their college counterparts and it is totally different. They have an actual relationship where they help each other out. MLB and college baseball need that. It doesn't make any sense to me for MLB to complain about college coaches not knowing what they are doing when they don't have any clinics to show and teach college coaches what to do and how to do it. And I do think that it has gotten better over the years- but there is certainly still room to grow.

I do think that the growing climate in baseball is going to favor college baseball more and more in the coming years.

Todd4State
01-25-2015, 05:04 PM
I got this in an e-mail today.

http://view.ed4.net/v/PI0QOB/67KCJN/DJOXVLS/RT7QH9/MAILACTION=1&FORMAT=H?partnerId=ed-8912002-771123323

It sounds like Manfred wants to focus on baseball at amateur and youth levels- and that includes college baseball. GOOD for us if he follows through with this.