PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray

It_Could_Happen
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Y'all go ahead and kill me for this, but give him another year. The students are 100% behind this team. I'm finally seeing improvement, and it's a lot of improvement. Bring him back for one more and see what he can do with Witherspoon and the Simonds.

It_Could_Happen
01-24-2015, 05:27 PM
And to add on to my post, the students are showing up. We've been there the last 2 games and we've been loud. To the alumni on the board, it is now your turn. The crowd does make a difference and it's sad that the hump isn't at least 3/4 of the way full.

TheRef
01-24-2015, 05:30 PM
And to add on to my post, the students are showing up. We've been there the last 2 games and we've been loud. To the alumni on the board, it is now your turn. The crowd does make a difference and it's sad that the hump isn't at least 3/4 of the way full.

I agree. I looked up and was actually proud of the students the past few times. We filled up the entire lower bowl of the student section and filtered in a few more up top. The rest of the stadium was fairly empty. The team feeds off of energy and you can see it when they play. I know you want to bitch and moan about Ray, but don't punish the players for you hating the coach.

I can already hear you now, "Well if we show up, then Stricklin will think things are going well and he'll sign Ray to an extension." No. Scott sees the product on the court. This team is improving. We just fought hard against possibly the #2 or #3 team in the SEC this year, and took them to the wire. The students see this and have shown up. You want to see a better team, then will THIS team to be better.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 05:34 PM
need some more wins- and I agree the alumni need to get their ass there. I will be there next month

It_Could_Happen
01-24-2015, 05:39 PM
need some more wins- and I agree the alumni need to get their ass there. I will be there next month

Thank you coach. I will say this, I'm a rick ray fan and he gets the most out of his players. He has turned Roq into a 20 and 10 guy.

smootness
01-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Si minds is actually a 2016 guy, unfortunately. We'll add Tookie Brown, Weatherspoon, and Strugg next year.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 05:43 PM
This is exactly why I feared people starting to go to these games. Crowds should be there every game, I agree....but they should have no impact on whether we keep a coach. Otherwise you're saying, "quit coming to games unless u want to keep Ray, because he will get credit for the big crowd."
I agree that we have looked better, but we have to look at body of work, and it is WAY too early to start claiming Ray should get another year. In year 3, is "improvement" still the qualification for another year? At what point does he have to start putting a solid overall record out there in a weak conference?

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest fear in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

I may end up wrong, but I think what we will find out is that Ray is a decent coach, that can win enough to get us to the NIt by year 4 or 5. But is that what we hired him for? We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level...."hustle", "improvement", and "maybe we can be better next year", is the type of shit you hire Junior High Coaches to do. I want a winner in here, and as much as I like Ray the person, I do not ever see him getting us to an NCAA Tourney, much less a Sweet 16 or beyond.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. I knew this would happen if we won a few games.

Raytoraid83
01-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Our "best" games always seem to be close losses. What or who is gonna put this team over the edge next year? Another 5'8 pg so we can watch guards that averages 9ppg put up 30+ on us? We'll miss Roq next year more than people realize too. Oliver Black isn't gonna fill those points Roq is graduating with. If we stay with Ray we will be stuck in mediocrity at best. Plain and simple.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Crowds affect the outcome of games- thats a fact. So people need to show up and help this team. If they still dont get it done- fire Ray's ass.

Raytoraid83
01-24-2015, 05:47 PM
This is exactly why I feared people starting to go to these games. Crowds should be there every game, I agree....but they should have no impact on whether we keep a coach. Otherwise you're saying, "quit coming to games unless u want to keep Ray, because he will get credit for the big crowd."
I agree that we have looked better, but we have to look at body of work, and it is WAY too early to start claiming Ray should get another year. In year 3, is "improvement" still the qualification for another year? At what point does he have to start putting a solid overall record out there in a weak conference?

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home against UGA before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest at in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

I may end up wrong, but I think what we will find out is that Ray is a decent coach, that can win enough to get us to the NIt by year 4 or 5. But is that what we hired him for? We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level...."hustle", "improvement", and "maybe we can be better next year", is the type of shit you hire Junior High Coaches to do. I want a winner in here, and as much as I like Ray the person, I do not ever see him getting us to an NCAA Tourney, much less a Sweet 16 or beyond.

Beat me to it.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Crowds affect the outcome of games- thats a fact. So people need to show up and help this team. If they still dont get it done- fire Ray's ass.

Exactly. The "students being 100% behind this team", is not a qualification for keeping a coach. The students should be 100% behind every team. I don't think Ray should get credit for fans showing up to games. And if he does, then people can't get mad when people stop going if they want him gone.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 05:49 PM
We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level.....

No. We forced Stands out because of the lack of discipline, drug problems, and all the off court drama. He wasnt fired because he only made the NIT

engie
01-24-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm not ready to give him year 4 yet. But the last 4 games have been encouraging to me.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 05:53 PM
No. We forced Stands out because of the lack of discipline, drug problems, and all the off court drama. He wasnt fired because he only made the NIT

Ok, so you don't want a coach that can take our program to a higher level? You do realize that his discipline, drug problems, etc were all part of the LEVEL we were at, right? It's all inclusive. In fact, you led the charge about Stans not being able to take us beyond a Sweet 16. So don't act like you didn't want our program at the next level. You did, you said it over and over and over for years.

Either way, you're changing the main point of the discussion. Now that we got rid of the discipline problems, are we satisfied with shitty seasons as long as we play hard and win a few games, and maybe improve a little every other year?

civildawg
01-24-2015, 05:54 PM

People can't seem to grasp this concept.

It_Could_Happen
01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Ok, so you don't want a coach that can take our program to a higher level? You do realize that his discipline, drug problems, etc were all part of the LEVEL we were at, right? It's all inclusive. In fact, you led the charge about Stans not being able to take us beyond a Sweet 16. So don't act like you didn't want our program at the next level. You did, you said it over and over and over for years.

Cadaver do you realize the team we just played gave their coach a 4th year and look where they are now?

rolodawg
01-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Thank you coach. I will say this, I'm a rick ray fan and he gets the most out of his players. He has turned Roq into a 20 and 10 guy.

What do you mean by "20 and 10 guy"? I hope not points and rebounds. Possibly 20+ minutes and 10+ rebounds and points combined. I've been watching BBall in the Hump since the 80's and don't recall a true 20/10 player playing for us. Might be a little too much sunshine with that statement.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Cadaver do you realize the team we just played gave their coach a 4th year and look where they are now?

Yes I do. And I'm not saying Ray can't earn another year. I just don't think the size of our crowd should play any part in keeping or removing Ray. That is why you see so many of our fans quit going to games. Yes, part of it is wins...but another part of it is that we have a group of fans that see a large crowd as a positive for keeping a coach. In my opinion, the crowd should be big every game, and the coach's performance should be based on what he does not he court, not how many people go to the games.

msstate7
01-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Our "best" games always seem to be close losses. What or who is gonna put this team over the edge next year? Another 5'8 pg so we can watch guards that averages 9ppg put up 30+ on us? We'll miss Roq next year more than people realize too. Oliver Black isn't gonna fill those points Roq is graduating with. If we stay with Ray we will be stuck in mediocrity at best. Plain and simple.

Zuppardo/black will fill in for johnson just fine

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 06:01 PM
People can't seem to grasp this concept.

Actually Coach started bashing Stans WAY back because he couldn't take us to the next level of the NCAA tourney. Yes, we forced him out because of those issues as well....but if you think we would have forced Stans out if we went to the Elite 8 in his final year, you're crazy. We had not been to a tourney in a while, and we had all the other issues, so it was time. But we would have gotten over the discipline stuff if we were winning at a high level.

It_Could_Happen
01-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes I do. And I'm not saying Ray can't earn another year. I just don't think the size of our crowd should play any part in keeping or removing Ray. That is why you see so many of our fans quit going to games. Yes, part of it is wins...but another part of it is that we have a group of fans that see a large crowd as a positive for keeping a coach. In my opinion, the crowd should be big every game, and the coach's performance should be based on what he does not he court, not how many people go to the games.

I'm not arguing on the crowd, I'm arguing on the fact that the team is improving. Chicken is finally getting back healthy, and when we lost those games early Gavin didn't play.

By the way, Roq had 24 and 11 today.

engie
01-24-2015, 06:02 PM
We can stop talking about the "down" sec though. There's 8 teams in the top 56 in rpi right now. Most of the league is vastly improved. Still don't have the number of elite squads you'd like to see. But there aren't any pushovers right now.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 06:03 PM

I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm not arguing on the crowd, I'm arguing on the fact that the team is improving. Chicken is finally getting back healthy, and when we lost those games early Gavin didn't play.

I agree they are improving. At the same time, they SHOULD be improving...it is year 3 and we have a core group of Juniors. What I'm saying is, at what point is "improving" enough? When you suck as bad as we have at times under Ray, taking a baby step each year won't get us to the tourney until 10 years from now. I'm not saying he has to make a Sweet 16 this year or next, but look at the losses we've had this season. I just don't think all those can be erased because of our last 3 games of effort.

Although, I will say it is encouraging to see how we've played lately. I just don't think we have to allow the extreme suck we've been at, to lower our standards to where we see a 6 point home loss as a victory.

engie
01-24-2015, 06:06 PM
We didn't force Stans out. He was given ultimatums he decided he couldn't live with and decided to walk. It's very obvious from the early stages of the coaching search that Strick hadn't expected to have to hire a coach. Maybe he should have...

CadaverDawg
01-24-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.

So if we had made it to the Elite 8 his final year we would have sent him on his way?

engie
01-24-2015, 06:12 PM
So if we had made it to the Elite 8 his final year we would have sent him on his way?

No context of what happened that last year would have stayed the same if we had continued to win up to our talent level and made a run in March. Had he Biancod himself into the second weekend, he'd most likely still be here. Or he might have chosen to walk then if given ultimatums as well. Gotta be a lot more delicate in demands when a coach is on top vs a crumbling dumpster Fire with elite talent....

Raytoraid83
01-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Zuppardo/black will fill in for johnson just fine

And Travis Daniels will be our best player this year**

msstate7
01-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Ok. Black is a talented player who should benefit greatly from a college offseason. Black is much farther along than johnson was as a freshman

Dawgface
01-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Let the season play out. Then decide.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Black is much farther along than johnson was as a freshman

Absolutely and not even close...Hell, Roq RS'ed

whosyourdawgy
01-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Engie, I'm w you. Happy w the effort over the last 4 games and the aggressiveness on the offensive end. I don't want us to suck at basketball and I like these players. I'm kinda torn. I always thought year 3 with Ray and the 3 juniors that we should at least make the NIT. And we should have made it this year. After the 8 game skid I had made my mind up that I wanted Ray gone. And I am still leaning that way. But it is impressive that he somehow got this teams head out of their ass and they are finally playing with the effort required to be in games and get some wins. I want us to win more than we lose from here on out and then I may change my view on what needs to happen.

TheRef
01-24-2015, 06:29 PM

25 and 11...close enough, bud. :P

msstate7
01-24-2015, 06:47 PM
If we keep playing like we have been, I think it's a moot point whether we want ray back or not. He'll be back.

MadisonDawg
01-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet because I don't read every post on the board about basketball. Is there anyway in the future that we could switch the student section to the other side so that the opposing team is trying to score on that end in the 2nd half? It would seem more effective that the opposing team is shooting free throws into a couple hundred students instead of 60 adults and kids behind the basket.

msstate7
01-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet because I don't read every post on the board about basketball. Is there anyway in the future that we could switch the student section to the other side so that the opposing team is trying to score on that end in the 2nd half? It would seem more effective that the opposing team is shooting free throws into a couple hundred students instead of 60 adults and kids behind the basket.

I thought the same thing

CJDAWG85
01-24-2015, 07:06 PM

He's one of our best pure shooters, if not our best.

archdog
01-24-2015, 07:17 PM

The Hump had solid moments today that reminded me of 2004. It was loud and we started to roll after a big dunk. Team's hustle went up a knotch and then Frazier would drain a 3 from halfcourt.

msstate7
01-24-2015, 07:24 PM
The Hump had solid moments today that reminded me of 2004. It was loud and we started to roll after a big dunk. Team's hustle went up a knotch and then Frazier would drain a 3 from halfcourt.

Or he'd drive in the lane and throw one up that would go down

MadisonDawg
01-24-2015, 07:29 PM
I thought the same thing

I know most schools do this. I sit in my dad's seats most of the time, but it would seem that it would be more intimidating if nothing else. Heck put the band over there too, those guys get rowdy during games.

preachermatt83
01-25-2015, 12:50 AM
http://www.celebquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/big-bang-theory-howard-quotes-9.gif

preachermatt83
01-25-2015, 12:52 AM

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest fear in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

hammer... meet nail head!

dawgs
01-25-2015, 02:01 AM

You do realize he took them to the ncaa tourney and won 20something games in his 2nd season too, right?

msstate7
01-25-2015, 02:17 AM
You do realize he took them to the ncaa tourney and won 20something games in his 2nd season too, right?

Guess you think the teams they took over were equal. Fox inherited 2 nba players: Travis Leslie and trey thompkins

dawgs
01-25-2015, 02:26 AM
Guess you think the teams they took over were equal. Fox inherited 2 nba players: Travis Leslie and trey thompkins

I think in year 3 with a core of juniors in the system for 3 years, if you haven't sniffed the postseason in years 1 and 2, then you damn well better make the NIT in year 3 if you want a chance to keep your job. Otherwise, what's a reasonable expectation for next year? The NIT in year 4 and graduate a majority of our production?

msstate7
01-25-2015, 02:40 AM
I think in year 3 with a core of juniors in the system for 3 years, if you haven't sniffed the postseason in years 1 and 2, then you damn well better make the NIT in year 3 if you want a chance to keep your job. Otherwise, what's a reasonable expectation for next year? The NIT in year 4 and graduate a majority of our production?

I certainly think we should've been an nit team this year. I'm not happy with where we are, but I see improvement. I just think there's zero chance Scott fires ray if we keep playing like we have lately. I'm not gonna pull against us, so I'm pulling for ray.

dawgs
01-25-2015, 03:44 AM
I certainly think we should've been an nit team this year. I'm not happy with where we are, but I see improvement. I just think there's zero chance Scott fires ray if we keep playing like we have lately. I'm not gonna pull against us, so I'm pulling for ray.

Moral victories in year 3 don't cut it anymore. We can look improved on the court but if it doesn't translate to Ws (and I'm talking over .500 in the conference) then ray's gotta go. I'm definitely not convinced the last 2 weeks are a sign of things to come, because we've had spurts of mediocrity under ray before. If we bring in a good coach, he'll have a veteran core to make a splash with next year instead of starting over at ground zero again.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is for us to lose just pretty enough to keep ray another year with the ceiling expectations being to make the NIT and lose most of our production to graduation afterwards.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Moral victories in year 3 don't cut it anymore. We can look improved on the court but if it doesn't translate to Ws (and I'm talking over .500 in the conference) then ray's gotta go. I'm definitely not convinced the last 2 weeks are a sign of things to come, because we've had spurts of mediocrity under ray before. If we bring in a good coach, he'll have a veteran core to make a splash with next year instead of starting over at ground zero again.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is for us to lose just pretty enough to keep ray another year with the ceiling expectations being to make the NIT and lose most of our production to graduation afterwards.

Simonds & hicks > ware, Fred, and sword in talent

mcdawg
01-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Biggest issue is attendance. Read today's newspaper - OM had a sellout with butts in the seats, including Malik. Our fans are not going to games. Like me saying this or not, but I still have 4 lower-level tickets and I am not going to waist my valuable time to attend games. I didn't even know who we were playing or if we won until this morning. Just know, there are a lot of State fans like me out there now - basketball has been ruined. (And if any of you want to criticize me for not going to games, ante up next year for the tickets, parking pass, and Bulldog Club dues - you can have mine because I am giving them up for the first time in many years. Going to buy more football and baseball tickets. Might even buy women's basketball tickets, since that coach can recruit and win games.)

Coach007
01-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Biggest issue is attendance. Read today's newspaper - OM had a sellout with butts in the seats, including Malik. Our fans are not going to games. Like me saying this or not, but I still have 4 lower-level tickets and I am not going to waist my valuable time to attend games. I didn't even know who we were playing or if we won until this morning. Just know, there are a lot of State fans like me out there now - basketball has been ruined. (And if any of you want to criticize me for not going to games, ante up next year for the tickets, parking pass, and Bulldog Club dues - you can have mine because I am giving them up for the first time in many years. Going to buy more football and baseball tickets. Might even buy women's basketball tickets, since that coach can recruit and win games.)

Ole miss was a sell out because it was a massive party all weekend. Even grown adults are partying with college students. This weekend is geared for it to be that way. It's a selling point to recruits. I prefer State to not do follow that path.

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Ray has to go. UGA had a guy score 37 ****ing points on us and make 7 3s. Shit like this is why Ray must go. He is way way way too late to spot the most obvious. He is stuck in his own head being clueless to what's happening in the now. WAKE THE **** UP RAY AND PUT FRED ON THE DUDE MAKING EVERYTHING!! It was stated earlier but the best time to let Ray go is at the end of this year. Grow a set of testicles Stricklin and do it.

Coach34
01-25-2015, 10:12 AM
yeah- this is Fredo's big recruiting weekend so they were obviously going to be packed

Bully13
01-25-2015, 10:18 AM

when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.

TheRef
01-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Ray has to go. UGA had a guy score 37 ****ing points on us and make 7 3s. Shit like this is why Ray must go. He is way way way too late to spot the most obvious. He is stuck in his own head being clueless to what's happening in the now. WAKE THE **** UP RAY AND PUT FRED ON THE DUDE MAKING EVERYTHING!! It was stated earlier but the best time to let Ray go is at the end of this year. Grow a set of testicles Stricklin and do it.

HE LITERALLY COULD NOT F***ING MISS, 61. I was at the game, and some of the shots he was making were ridiculous. A three from Jimmer range, crazy circus shots. Sometimes you can't stop that, and you just have to hope the hot streak can't last. He did not miss a three all game, and some were ridiculous. Now...did he have wide-open threes? You bet your ass. But I think it was more of Frazier having the best game of his life.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 10:38 AM
HE LITERALLY COULD NOT F***ING MISS, 61. I was at the game, and some of the shots he was making were ridiculous. A three from Jimmer range, crazy circus shots. Sometimes you can't stop that, and you just have to hope the hot streak can't last. He did not miss a three all game, and some were ridiculous. Now...did he have wide-open threes? You bet your ass. But I think it was more of Frazier having the best game of his life.

Frazier beat us. If we played them again today, I'd rather Frazier try to beat us than Mann, Thornton, or Gaines. We did a good job on their best players and a guy that hit 10 3's all year coming in, hit 7 on us. A guy that avgs 9 points a game coming in hit us for 37 (sec record this year). I'm not sure how you blame ray for this.

mic
01-25-2015, 10:39 AM

You can say Ray needs to go and I won't argue with ya .. But you have no idea what ur talking about with this one..

Coach34
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.

ok- what's your point? (Although I always mentioned his lack of discipline as one of the reasons he'd never make it)

Political Hack
01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm impressed that anyone still gives a shit.

dawgs
01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

I think lack of discipline and underachieving went hand in hand Stans' last 5 years or so.

sleepy dawg
01-25-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm impressed that anyone still gives a shit.
Reply to hack:
Basketball is just too much damn fun when you're good to not care.

Not reply to hack:
Like Cad said earlier, it's still to early to call to say we should or shouldn't fire him for sure. I thought we should've fired him earlier in the season, but I see now why that was the wrong thing to do. The right thing to do is wait and see. There is no absolute answer. Everyone keeps trying to say if you don't do this by season 3, or this coach did this at some other school by season whatever, etc.... Stop dealing with everything in absolutes. There is no "one size fits all" answer in sports. All we know right now is that Ray is indeed on the hot seat. As with all coaches, he must keep improving. He has been a disappointment thus far. We will only know for sure what to do at the end of the season. There is no magic number of wins.

DudyDawg
01-25-2015, 02:03 PM

According to that, fox should be fired too for letting a 6'7 power forward go for 25 and 11. The cat was hot, and if you don't realize how often that happens in basketball and that you just can't do anything about it, you're clueless. That's literally the worst argument I've ever heard for firing a coach.

ETA: he did put fred on him for a while. He kept scoring.

mcdawg
01-25-2015, 02:14 PM
yeah- this is Fredo's big recruiting weekend so they were obviously going to be packed

Ok, but did State pack the basketball on our 2 recruiting weekends? Not even close - and we use to. If I am not mistaken, the recruits were not even taken to the basketball game the 1st recruiting weekend. Nobody cares about basketball any more - and they use to because we won and had good players to watch.

TheRef
01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Ok, but did State pack the basketball on our 2 recruiting weekends? Not even close - and we use to. If I am not mistaken, the recruits were not even taken to the basketball game the 1st recruiting weekend. Nobody cares about basketball any more - and they use to because we won and had good players to watch.

Want to know another reason why Ole Miss had their stadium filled? The UF/OM game was for their tournament life. Joe Lunardi said before the game that whoever won that game still had a chance for the NCAAT, whoever lost was pretty much out of the tournament for the year.

tcdog70
01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Absolutely and not even close...Hell, Roq RS'ed

He red shirted because we had plenty of talent. We had the recruiter and a full roster. I'm still waiting on our Saviour Travis Daniels to be a real player. He was no where to be found down the stretch. Basically our players that are playing well now are are Stans recruits. I'll give Ray IJ, but He is still a huge defensive liability , how about his Man 7-7 from three.

TheRef
01-25-2015, 02:36 PM
He red shirted because we had plenty of talent. We had the recruiter and a full roster. I'm still waiting on our Saviour Travis Daniels to be a real player. He was no where to be found down the stretch. Basically our players that are playing well now are are Stans recruits. I'll give Ray IJ, but He is still a huge defensive liability , how about his Man 7-7 from three.

You keep bringing up Frazier who literally had the game of his life. WHY? Ready has been a huge reason why we won those two games. Frazier went absolutely insane yesterday, and there was literally nothing we could have done to stop him. Now stop bringing up Frazier in this argument, okay? Yes...he went 7-7 from deep, but do you really think when someone is just that ****ing insane you're going to stop them? No...in a situation like that, you just hope he doesn't stay hot throughout the whole game. When you're hot, you're hot.

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 02:40 PM
According to that, fox should be fired too for letting a 6'7 power forward go for 25 and 11. The cat was hot, and if you don't realize how often that happens in basketball and that you just can't do anything about it, you're clueless. That's literally the worst argument I've ever heard for firing a coach.

ETA: he did put fred on him for a while. He kept scoring.

Dudy at one point I liked you as a poster. That day has long passed. The point I'm making is that Ray is too slow to react TO ANYTHING. He's not a proactive coach and that's probably because he's still wearing diapers in his coaching career.

Calling me clueless and saying "that's literally the worst argument I've ever heard" has the gloves off for me dickhead.

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
You keep bringing up Frazier who literally had the game of his life. WHY? Ready has been a huge reason why we won those two games. Frazier went absolutely insane yesterday, and there was literally nothing we could have done to stop him. Now stop bringing up Frazier in this argument, okay? Yes...he went 7-7 from deep, but do you really think when someone is just that ****ing insane you're going to stop them? No...in a situation like that, you just hope he doesn't stay hot throughout the whole game. When you're hot, you're hot.

No you stop him. The game becomes stopping Frazier. Put two guys on him. Foul him hard everytime he goes anywhere. Chip him into the stands. Trip him. Do whatever the hell it takes. "Just hope he doesn't stay hot" is a losing Rick Ray mentality.

tcdog70
01-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Dudy at one point I liked you as a poster. That day has long passed. The point I'm making is that Ray is too slow to react TO ANYTHING. He's not a proactive coach and that's probably because he's still wearing diapers in his coaching career.

Calling me clueless and saying "that's literally the worst argument I've ever heard" has the gloves off for me dickhead.

61--ha ha. I think you are a basketball person- these 34 minions are the dumbasses. They Love Ray, then they Think Ray needs to be fired, then they win couple and now they might want Him back. Here is the deal-- Ray needs to go-- period. We had a chance to win the game down the stretch and he did nothing to help Us. He is coaching impaired. Ready goes down the court and tries to fancy dribble and loses the ball.

tcdog70
01-25-2015, 02:51 PM
No you stop him. The game becomes stopping Frazier. Put two guys on him. Foul him hard everytime he goes anywhere. Chip him into the stands. Trip him. Do whatever the hell it takes. "Just hope he doesn't stay hot" is a losing Rick Ray mentality.

THIS all day^^^^^^^€

DudyDawg
01-25-2015, 03:10 PM

Bummer that you don't like me..... As far as ray reacting to stuff, I've said multiple times in game threads that he sucks. Some guy going off and playing out of his mind while hitting shots from the bulldog logo is not his fault, just like us hitting a half court shot at FL or ready hitting a 30 footer to beat the shot clock is not due to him. Sometimes you Cant control stuff. I've also seen a handful of those things we used to do wrong be fixed the past three games, and tried to give him some credit for it. He isn't proactive, and isnt a good coach. He should be fired. I've said this many times. At the same time, he's a coach at MSU and if he wins a few games I'll try to give him credit and support the team bc I want us to succeed in everything. That won't happen w him as our coach, but If we are going to point out every flaw he has as a coach we need to acknowledge it when he does something right (like the last few games).

DudyDawg
01-25-2015, 03:12 PM
61--ha ha. I think you are a basketball person- these 34 minions are the dumbasses. They Love Ray, then they Think Ray needs to be fired, then they win couple and now they might want Him back. Here is the deal-- Ray needs to go-- period. We had a chance to win the game down the stretch and he did nothing to help Us. He is coaching impaired. Ready goes down the court and tries to fancy dribble and loses the ball.

Ray should be fired. Many of the "minions" you want to label people as have been saying it for weeks. I want him fired the day after we lose in round one of the SEC tourney

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Bummer that you don't like me..... As far as ray reacting to stuff, I've said multiple times in game threads that he sucks. Some guy going off and playing out of his mind while hitting shots from the bulldog logo is not his fault, just like us hitting a half court shot at FL or ready hitting a 30 footer to beat the shot clock is not due to him. Sometimes you Cant control stuff. I've also seen a handful of those things we used to do wrong be fixed the past three games, and tried to give him some credit for it. He isn't proactive, and isnt a good coach. He should be fired. I've said this many times. At the same time, he's a coach at MSU and if he wins a few games I'll try to give him credit and support the team bc I want us to succeed in everything. That won't happen w him as our coach, but If we are going to point out every flaw he has as a coach we need to acknowledge it when he does something right (like the last few games).

Keep the "clueless" and "literally the worst argument I've ever heard" comments to yourself and we'll get along just fine. I saw Frazier make one three that was Jimmer territory. Let's not act like he was Klay Thompson all of a sudden. Ray didn't do enough to cool him off if he did anything at all.

Dawg61
01-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Ray should be fired. Many of the "minions" you want to label people as have been saying it for weeks. I want him fired the day after we lose in round one of the SEC tourney

This is your best post of 2015.

DudyDawg
01-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Keep the "clueless" and "literally the worst argument I've ever heard" comments to yourself and we'll get along just fine. I saw Frazier make one three that was Jimmer territory. Let's not act like he was Klay Thompson all of a sudden. Ray didn't do enough to cool him off if he did anything at all.

I'll try to be less rude towards you.

As far as Frazier, he hit that, hit a few in transition when you don't exactly want guys popping threes unless their name is james harden (or you're that hot, at which point the players have to know that he needs to be the first person they look for on d in transition, something Im sure ray told them) and had a few circus shots in the lane. He was also 6-8 from the line, so unfortunately we couldn't hack-a-shaq him. The guy was flat out Unstoppable, and we still were down 1 in the last few minutes to a team getting top 25 votes. Ray should be gone, but yesterday wasn't his fault IMO, and we are playing much better due to some adjustments he's made 2 years too late

BiscuitEater
01-25-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm not arguing on the crowd, I'm arguing on the fact that the team is improving. Chicken is finally getting back healthy, and when we lost those games early Gavin didn't play. By the way, Roq had 24 and 11 today.

I Watched the Ark State 'debacle'... and I guess you could say Gavin 'didn't play;' he had 4 Pts in 17 minutes.

Ark St
20 Gavin Ware.......... f 1-5 0-0 2-2 2 2 4 0 4 0 1 0 0 17

msstate7
01-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I Watched the Ark State 'debacle'... and I guess you could say Gavin 'didn't play;' he had 4 Pts in 17 minutes.

Ark St
20 Gavin Ware.......... f 1-5 0-0 2-2 2 2 4 0 4 0 1 0 0 17

Pretty sure that's the game he got hurt

maroonmania
01-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Well first, Dan and his staff don't do anything to try and bring alumni and fans into the involvement of recruiting. If he really put out word to the alumni associations and booster clubs within a 2 to 3 hour radius of Starkville of how important to our football program it was for them to be in town during a big official visit I bet there would be a LOT of folks show up that don't currently even with the poor basketball product we currently have. Second, we don't have ONE big recruiting weekend. We split ours up into the in-state guys and a different weekend for the out-of-state guys. You need to unify everything into one weekend if you want to have the big dog and pony show like OM has in Oxford.

MadDawg
01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

This is called "changing the talking points" when the reality sets in that the new coach will probably never reach the level that was unacceptable from the previous coach.

dawgpound
01-26-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Ray yet. I would like to see what he can do with some talent

shannondawg
01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
No one mentioned that Malik was at the ole miss game, sitting behind the bench..

GTHOM
01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Im a student at State and I can tell you...the students are not 100 percent behind this team. some folks went to the GA game because we won 2 in a row for the first time in forever...then we lost

sleepy dawg
01-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Nothing is ever 100% with fans... basically, that guy is 100% in until he's not.

GTHOM
01-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Nothing is ever 100% with fans... basically, that guy is 100% in until he's not.

Ive given up on Rick Ray