PDA

View Full Version : I hope we never hire Kenny Payne

cheewgumm
01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
If he's so great maybe Louiville will hire him.

ScottH
01-24-2015, 02:25 PM
I have heard alot of pro and con Payne but I realized I had never heard or seen him on an interview.

So here you go if you were in the same boat as me.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66URN8ObPo

NCDawg
01-24-2015, 02:35 PM
I agree. I never liked him since he chose Louisville over State many years ago.

M.Fillmore
01-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe we shouldn't hire Payne next but will any say that Ray has done a better job than Payne would have done?

Thick
01-24-2015, 04:44 PM
You guys realize that Johnny Jones (LSU) was an assistant under Calipari just like Payne. The reason is top notch recruiting. Jones and Payne have learned from Calipari. Jones is killing it in recruiting, and it's already paying dividends. I'm not saying Payne would be a good x and o guy, but he would be Stands on steroids recruiting wise.

Coach34
01-24-2015, 06:35 PM
You guys realize that Johnny Jones (LSU) was an assistant under Calipari just like Payne. The reason is top notch recruiting. Jones and Payne have learned from Calipari. Jones is killing it in recruiting, and it's already paying dividends. I'm not saying Payne would be a good x and o guy, but he would be Stands on steroids recruiting wise.

This

cheewgumm
01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
At least it's good to see recruiting matters again.

engie
01-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Say what? Johnny Jones never coached under Cal. Jones played at LSU, coached at LSU under Dale Brown for 14 years, coached at Memphis under Tic Price for 2 years, was interim HC at Memphis for one year directly before Cal arrived there, coached one year under Gottfried at Bama, then spent 11 years at North Texas as head coach before getting the job at his alma mater LSU.

Cal's actual coaching tree:
Pastner - nearing meltdown status at Memphis
Kellogg - decent at UMass
Flint - nothing notable at UMass or currently Drexel
Antigua - 6-12 in year 1 at South Florida
Padgett - 7-14 in year 1 at Samford
Barbee fired at Auburn and back to being an "special" assistant at Kentucky
Martin was a disaster at Marist and now back to being an assistant under Crean
Roccaforte back to being an assistant at Va Tech after a very average career at Lamar

Nothing inspiring there IMO...

Thick
01-24-2015, 09:25 PM
My bad engie.....Payne would still recruit big time.

engie
01-24-2015, 09:31 PM
My bad engie.....Payne would still recruit big time.

I tentatively agree that he could recruit -- but there has to be some glaring issue there for him not to be getting head job offers on the reg.

We've just got to spend big boy $$ in the hiring process, especially on assistants...

Thick
01-25-2015, 07:42 AM
He's connected to World Wide Wes, and Scott was terrified of the fact. That's absolute, 100% FACT!!

Thick
01-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Did Ray have any HC offers (power 5)? We hired a no name assistant from a mid tier ACC school (it might not be mid tier, it could be lower). So, we are getting what we paid for.

engie
01-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Did Ray have any HC offers (power 5)? We hired a no name assistant from a mid tier ACC school (it might not be mid tier, it could be lower). So, we are getting what we paid for.

No one thought Ray was the answer we needed either. Screwing up the hire once doesn't mean you've got to go and do it twice.

engie
01-25-2015, 10:27 AM
He's connected to World Wide Wes, and Scott was terrified of the fact. That's absolute, 100% FACT!!

If it was a sure-fire slam dunk to hire, then there's essentially been about 1000 college ADs that were dumb asses since the time we hired Ray. Every AD in the country knows that he's connected to WWW, and it hasn't been a strong enough selling point to get him off that bench at UK. Antigua(who many argued was the more logical Cal staff member to chase) got his already...

Ray is recruiting at a high enough level now. He struggled at first, but the 2015 and 2016 classes are plenty good enough IMO