PDA

View Full Version : So this is the BiG weekend in Oxford...

Bucky Dog
01-24-2015, 09:43 AM
I was wondering if the Elston-Stringfellow incident will cause them to tone it down at all. Also, does ED have anyone with camera ready at the Library tonight? I'm thinking they the Reveramd cannot afford anything else negative coming out from this weekend.

I'm hoping that Fletcher and Leo stay together and do not buy in to all the BS!

By the way, Riley Blevins opened hie article in the C-L this morning by saying, "this isn't an Army All American roster, it's who is visiting Ole Miss this weekend"!

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I was wondering if the Elston-Stringfellow incident will cause them to tone it down at all. Also, does ED have anyone with camera ready at the Library tonight? I'm thinking they the Reveramd cannot afford anything else negative coming out from this weekend.

I'm hoping that Fletcher and Leo stay together and do not buy in to all the BS!

By the way, Riley Blevins opened hie article in the C-L this morning by saying, "this isn't an Army All American roster, it's who is visiting Ole Miss this weekend"!

Ummm, Fletcher is in Starkville .

defiantdog
01-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Fletcher didn't make it to Oxford..... he's in Starkville. And good luck with Leo..... I don't think you truly understand how much the coaches and "family" of OM give you on an official visit. It's something like you've never seen before. And trust me, no other school treats a big official weekend like OM. And it's not just Bucky..... they've been doing it since I was in high school and probably longer. They're really good to the recruits..... even if they have no shot at getting them to commit. And there's a lot of pressure involved on these recruits that visit as well.

But times have changed for OM. They consider their big recruits to be these out-of-state kids. The big name kids in state see this. And it rubs a lot of them the wrong way. OM is trying their hardest to compete with schools like USC, Georgia, Bama and Ohio St when it comes to recruiting kids on a national level. But, for some reason, this hurts Mississippi schools in general. I don't know what it is, but whenever OM or State attempt to recruit on a national level while ignoring their own backyard, it bites them in the ass. Cutcliff was the first to start this at OM..... then he was forced out after Eli left. Coach O was a mistake to be a head coach. Nutthead really implemented the out of state recruiting, and it led to a team full of individuals...... in which got him fired.

Recruiting kids from out of state hurts Mississippi schools because these schools are not built for outside exposure. Both, OM and State, try their hardest to implement the family aspect of the team. But you can't do that with a bunch of individuals. The only way you can do that, is to recruit kids that grew up together. You have to recruit kids that know each other. I can tell you why Buckles, Spencer and Espy all went to OM but none of you would care to hear it because everyone hear thinks it was only for the money. They wanted to play college together because they knew each other, and they didn't want to go somewhere for 3-4 years where they wouldn't know anyone. There's a reason why we bring in all of our in-state recruits in one week and all of our out-of-state recruits the next.

These recruits go to OM on their official visits and have a blast. Hell, some of them probably verbally commit on the spot. But reality usually hits them when they get home and actually sit down with their family.

maroonmania
01-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Fletcher didn't make it to Oxford..... he's in Starkville. And good luck with Leo..... I don't think you truly understand how much the coaches and "family" of OM give you on an official visit. It's something like you've never seen before. And trust me, no other school treats a big official weekend like OM. And it's not just Bucky..... they've been doing it since I was in high school and probably longer. They're really good to the recruits..... even if they have no shot at getting them to commit. And there's a lot of pressure involved on these recruits that visit as well.

But times have changed for OM. They consider their big recruits to be these out-of-state kids. The big name kids in state see this. And it rubs a lot of them the wrong way. OM is trying their hardest to compete with schools like USC, Georgia, Bama and Ohio St when it comes to recruiting kids on a national level. But, for some reason, this hurts Mississippi schools in general. I don't know what it is, but whenever OM or State attempt to recruit on a national level while ignoring their own backyard, it bites them in the ass. Cutcliff was the first to start this at OM..... then he was forced out after Eli left. Coach O was a mistake to be a head coach. Nutthead really implemented the out of state recruiting, and it led to a team full of individuals...... in which got him fired.

Recruiting kids from out of state hurts Mississippi schools because these schools are not built for outside exposure. Both, OM and State, try their hardest to implement the family aspect of the team. But you can't do that with a bunch of individuals. The only way you can do that, is to recruit kids that grew up together. You have to recruit kids that know each other. I can tell you why Buckles, Spencer and Espy all went to OM but none of you would care to hear it because everyone hear thinks it was only for the money. They wanted to play college together because they knew each other, and they didn't want to go somewhere for 3-4 years where they wouldn't know anyone. There's a reason why we bring in all of our in-state recruits in one week and all of our out-of-state recruits the next.

These recruits go to OM on their official visits and have a blast. Hell, some of them probably verbally commit on the spot. But reality usually hits them when they get home and actually sit down with their family.

And with Leo, don't forget that with everything else we are dealing with for him he also still has Jimmy Johns in his ear which is definitely a hindrance to us.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
And that's why I like that Dan focuses so much on Mississippi. If given a choice, I'd rather have a four star guy from Mississippi over a four star guy from Texas. Or a three star guy from Mississippi over a three star guy from Georgia. Historically, our best teams have had a majority of the players from Mississippi.

We can have sustainable success by getting the best players in Mississippi. And then if we can recruit Memphis decently and then go to Louisiana for some of LSU's leftovers I think we can continue to be a 10 win team every year.

Bucky Dog
01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Ummm, Fletcher is in Starkville .

Good! I've been out of town all week and read in CL this morning that he was in Oxford. And I agree with Todd, I would rather have the guys that WANT to be at State and not the ones we have to buy. I would rather have the 3 star MS boy over a 4 star from anywhere else most of the time.

defiantdog
01-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Good! I've been out of town all week and read in CL this morning that he was in Oxford. And I agree with Todd, I would rather have the guys that WANT to be at State and not the ones we have to buy. I would rather have the 3 star MS boy over a 4 star from anywhere else most of the time.

And Jamal Peters didn't take any visits this week either. You have to respect Mullen when it comes to recruiting. It's a move right out of Saban's playbook. He gets these recruits to really buy into the program. He doesn't just recruit anyone. If State gets a recruit to officially visit, it's because they are truly considering going to State. OM will throw out the bait to anything with 4 or 5 stars and hope for a bite. Different tactics for different programs. OM's tactic just doesn't work in the long run.

BossDawg
01-24-2015, 11:50 AM
OM's tactic just doesn't work in the long run.

I think they end up getting all the egotistical attention whores with the way they recruit, such as this weekend or whenever the big Recruitapalooza weekend is. That culture of partying they love to plug just ends up being a huge distraction for the most part.

ScottH
01-24-2015, 12:18 PM
It's apparently turned into a big deal for Bear fans to show up this weekend in Oxford.

I know three folks that headed up yesterday. An employee of mine, my attorney and my dentist all went for tonight on the square.

None of them are connected to the athletic program in any way other than fans. I guess they have some sort of perceived duty or false sense of inclusion if they show up.

GreenheadDawg
01-24-2015, 12:22 PM
It's apparently turned into a big deal for Bear fans to show up this weekend in Oxford.

I know three folks that headed up yesterday. An employee of mine, my attorney and my dentist all went for tonight on the square.

None of them are connected to the athletic program in any way other than fans. I guess they have some sort of perceived duty or false sense of inclusion if they show up.
I'm sorry but if that's true then that is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard of

Aces High
01-24-2015, 12:31 PM
After youve been around a while, you wont give a shit.

Ole Miss has their weekend every year. They sign all this talent every year. They generally suck every year.

Anyone that keeps up with this stuff is either new, under 25 or so old they have nothing better to do.

Recruiting is sad and pathetic. Them putting so much emphasis on their weekend is about as ole miss as they can be. It is all about popularity. No substance.

Im in oxford all the time. I never see any players buying $150 polos on the square, eating lunch at boure or paying $6 beers at the library. It is odd. Based on backgrounds, a recruit is the last person to want to live in oxford. Everything there that is "nice" isnt anything they are use to or interested in.

the whole thing is strange

Coach34
01-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Oh yeah- this is their attempt to show recruits how "populated" Oxford is. Then after recruits sign and go to school, only then do they realize what a shithole it is

civildawg
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM

This is just crazy if it's true.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 12:58 PM
I bet Tulane could throw a hell of a recruiting party if they wanted to. Especially at this time of the year.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 01:00 PM
After youve been around a while, you wont give a shit.

Ole Miss has their weekend every year. They sign all this talent every year. They generally suck every year.

Anyone that keeps up with this stuff is either new, under 25 or so old they have nothing better to do.

Recruiting is sad and pathetic. Them putting so much emphasis on their weekend is about as ole miss as they can be. It is all about popularity. No substance.

Im in oxford all the time. I never see any players buying $150 polos on the square, eating lunch at boure or paying $6 beers at the library. It is odd. Based on backgrounds, a recruit is the last person to want to live in oxford. Everything there that is "nice" isnt anything they are use to or interested in.

the whole thing is strange

I think we all know why the ones that ultimately go there do. If they are willing to give you and your brother a free education, that's hard to turn down. If you are from a family that is poor and they are promising a new house and job for Momma, that's hard to turn down. Plus, I would imagine that if I was poor, 30K would sound like a lot of money.

I do agree that the recruits that go there aren't showing up for the polos and the other Oxford stuff.

starkvegasdawg
01-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Anybody here any numbers on how many sorority girls had to be treated for lock jaw this morning?

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Anybody here any numbers on how many sorority girls had to be treated for lock jaw this morning?

If the urban legends are true, many of the girls that hook up with the players aren't even Ole Miss students. Read between the lines there.

preachermatt83
01-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I think they end up getting all the egotistical attention whores with the way they recruit, such as this weekend or whenever the big Recruitapalooza weekend is. That culture of partying they love to plug just ends up being a huge distraction for the most part.

I think you have hit it right on.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2015, 01:17 PM
If the urban legends are true, many of the girls that hook up with the players aren't even Ole Miss students. Read between the lines there.

Well it is an Ole Miss tradition to get strippers and hookers to come down from Memphis.

FlabLoser
01-24-2015, 01:18 PM
I know some hard core alumni, not cigar boys, that went up there this weekend.

AlSwearengen
01-24-2015, 01:20 PM
This is just crazy if it's true.

They are in year three or four of this now. It is basically treated as another game day.

defiantdog
01-24-2015, 01:24 PM
It's funny how with coaching changes and player changes, schools remain the same. Seems OM didn't bring in a qb prospect for their big weekend. I would say that will hurt them in the long run, but they don't plan for the next 4-5 years. They're planning for right now. They'll never develop players or create leadership roles planning like that.

defiantdog
01-24-2015, 01:26 PM
They are in year three or four of this now. It is basically treated as another game day.

Year what?! This has been going on for a while now..... we're just able to promote it with social media platforms now.

HailState39110
01-24-2015, 01:28 PM
If Adams didn't go to Oxford and Peters didn't go to Baton Rouge we've already won the battle this weekend IMO

RIdog
01-24-2015, 02:02 PM
It's funny how with coaching changes and player changes, schools remain the same. Seems OM didn't bring in a qb prospect for their big weekend. I would say that will hurt them in the long run, but they don't plan for the next 4-5 years. They're planning for right now. They'll never develop players or create leadership roles planning like that.

Saw their visit list and the Pellerin kid from Louisiana is listed at QB and visiting this weekend ? ? ?

Bucky Dog
01-24-2015, 02:06 PM
If Adams didn't go to Oxford and Peters didn't go to Baton Rouge we've already won the battle this weekend IMO

I agree. And it will put the Bears in desperation overdrive!

defiantdog
01-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Saw their visit list and the Pellerin kid from Louisiana is listed at QB and visiting this weekend ? ? ?

He's already committed..... not sure how good he is. This is usually their weekend where the bring in the guys who aren't committed yet..... thought they would bring in a big name qb that wasn't committed anywhere yet. Or bring in someone like Deondre Francois

Saltydog
01-24-2015, 02:37 PM
always made me a little uneasy when they get the last official at their place. We thru this type of angst every year worrying about if our commits will visit them on the last weekend and flip.

NCDawg
01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
And with Leo, don't forget that with everything else we are dealing with for him he also still has Jimmy Johns in his ear which is definitely a hindrance to us.

What did we ever do to Jimmy Johns besides one of our players knocking the heck out of him on a kick-off. He spurned us for Alabama, so he shouldn't have any ill-will towards us. I recall Coach Croom tried very hard to recruit him.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 02:48 PM
always made me a little uneasy when they get the last official at their place. We thru this type of angst every year worrying about if our commits will visit them on the last weekend and flip.

Historically speaking that hasn't happened as far as flips. Most of their true flips occurred during the Army AA Game in 2011, which was early January.

Interestingly enough, Chris Jones went to the greatest recruiting party of all time and still stayed committed to MSU.

Typically most of our recruits that are committed don't visit Ole Miss.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 03:06 PM
What did we ever do to Jimmy Johns besides one of our players knocking the heck out of him on a kick-off. He spurned us for Alabama, so he shouldn't have any ill-will towards us. I recall Coach Croom tried very hard to recruit him.

Croom ran his mouth about Johns never being able to play QB at Alabama and I think that pissed Johns off.

RougeDawg
01-24-2015, 03:57 PM
I hope every recruit there this weekend drains them dry and signs elsewhere. What are the Beavers gonna say to NCAA when a recruit took their cash and signed elsewhere. I wish all of our commits would show up, appease those clowns, and drain their GD coffers bare. That's what we should start instructing out Cruits to do. Sabotage and pillage those sorry bastards. Beat them at their own game without actually even having to play their game. Let them pay our signees.

dawgindothan
01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
whenever OM or State attempt to recruit on a national level while ignoring their own backyard, it bites them in the ass.

I don't think you'll ever see us or TSUN ignore their own backyard. But here's the deal. Miss typically produces 5 to 10 high school prospects each year that have in-state offers plus multiple out of state offers from power 5 conference schools. And then there are typically another 10 or so high school prospects that us and TSUN fight it out for. So most years you're looking at 15 to 20 prospects in Miss with at least two legit offers from the SEC/power 5. Historically, roughly half of these sign with us, roughly half sign with TSUN, and a couple go out of state each year.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't any other high school prospects in Miss that are worthy of a SEC offer. Miss is known for diamond in the rough types that fly under the radar. Some of these develop into good college players, some just so so players, and some show why they didn't have a lot of interest from big schools coming out of high school. But my point is, we're in the toughest division of the toughest conference out there and relying on under the radar diamond in the rough types to fill over half of our signing class each year is going to produce mediocre results most years. Certainly not every year but most years.

I know we're not going to beat out Bama for AL kids or LSU for LA kids, but I do think we need to recruit out of state. If we're batting TSUN and TN for an AL kid...... we need to win some of those. If we're battling Ark and Louisville for a LA kid..... we need to win some of those. I'd rather sign an AL kid with offers from TN, Louisville, GT, and Okie St than a MS kid with offers from us, TSUN, ULaLa, and Memphis.

And I don't buy the TSUN only lands out of state recruits who are self obsessed kids who shun the team concept rhetoric. I don't see TSUN being anything more than a 7-5/8-4 program, but it's not because the out of state recruits who end up in Oxford are only out for themselves, it's because TSUN still won't ever consistently recruit on a level with AL, AU, LSU, TAM, etc. and those are 4 teams they have to play every year.

preachermatt83
01-25-2015, 12:33 AM
I don't think you'll ever see us or TSUN ignore their own backyard. But here's the deal. Miss typically produces 5 to 10 high school prospects each year that have in-state offers plus multiple out of state offers from power 5 conference schools. And then there are typically another 10 or so high school prospects that us and TSUN fight it out for. So most years you're looking at 15 to 20 prospects in Miss with at least two legit offers from the SEC/power 5. Historically, roughly half of these sign with us, roughly half sign with TSUN, and a couple go out of state each year.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't any other high school prospects in Miss that are worthy of a SEC offer. Miss is known for diamond in the rough types that fly under the radar. Some of these develop into good college players, some just so so players, and some show why they didn't have a lot of interest from big schools coming out of high school. But my point is, we're in the toughest division of the toughest conference out there and relying on under the radar diamond in the rough types to fill over half of our signing class each year is going to produce mediocre results most years. Certainly not every year but most years.

I know we're not going to beat out Bama for AL kids or LSU for LA kids, but I do think we need to recruit out of state. If we're batting TSUN and TN for an AL kid...... we need to win some of those. If we're battling Ark and Louisville for a LA kid..... we need to win some of those. I'd rather sign an AL kid with offers from TN, Louisville, GT, and Okie St than a MS kid with offers from us, TSUN, ULaLa, and Memphis.

And I don't buy the TSUN only lands out of state recruits who are self obsessed kids who shun the team concept rhetoric. I don't see TSUN being anything more than a 7-5/8-4 program, but it's not because the out of state recruits who end up in Oxford are only out for themselves, it's because TSUN still won't ever consistently recruit on a level with AL, AU, LSU, TAM, etc. and those are 4 teams they have to play every year.

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/suspicious-fry.jpg

ScoobaDawg
01-25-2015, 01:21 AM

You have 40 posts and 95% are about the bears.

Good bye Bear.

Todd4State
01-25-2015, 01:48 AM

I don't buy that we split with Ole Miss on in state recruits. Our roster has more Mississippians on it than Ole Miss. MSU is a lot more willing to take a chance on a diamond in the rough from Mississippi than Ole Miss as well.

Ole Miss's in state recruiting strategy to me appears to be:

The top 6A schools, the Dandy Dozen, and the Oxford area, and to not let any Ole Miss legacies go to State at all costs.

Bucky Dog
01-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Ok it's Sunday morning and there is no video or news stories about the big night on the square. Did the Bears close the plantation down and keep things a little more quiet this year? Have things just not gotten out yet? I was hoping to wake up and read about another arrest or see an Instagram pic oosted of cash and pretty white girls!

msstate7
01-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Ok it's Sunday morning and there is no video or news stories about the big night on the square. Did the Bears close the plantation down and keep things a little more quiet this year? Have things just not gotten out yet? I was hoping to wake up and read about another arrest or see an Instagram pic oosted of cash and pretty white girls!

Were there any commits?

Bucky Dog
01-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Yeah there has been no big commitment announcement either.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 09:34 AM

If there's no commits announced today, maybe that means their big weekend was a flop

deltadawg99
01-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Twitter has been pretty quite too. Let's hope it stays that way.

One thing that I'll give them credit for is that they turn recruiting weekends into a full blown spectacle.

While we on the other hand have our big recruiting weekend when MLK is the following Monday and we have a ton of students go home for the weekend.

Leroy Jenkins
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Well looks like they got a commit from Rasool Clemons from SC.

South Carolina State is very disappointed.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Any chance this has to do with the Ed Orgeron dynamic in Baton Rouge? The Bears won't be able to win the press conference prior to signing day, but they don't provide O a bunch of targets for him to pick off.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Offers from lsu, Clemson, Fsu, tenn, wv, etc, and yes, South Carolina st. You might have spun that a little. Either way, if he's the only one they get this weekend, I'll be happy

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-25-2015, 10:12 AM
An employee of mine, my attorney and my dentist all went for tonight on the square.

So in a small sample of your business colleagues, three middle-aged men make a road trip to celebrate a recrooting weekend with 17-18 year old young men? That suddenly explains why Yancy has an audience.

Leroy Jenkins
01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Offers from lsu, Clemson, Fsu, tenn, wv, etc, and yes, South Carolina st. You might have spun that a little. Either way, if he's the only one they get this weekend, I'll be happy

Aiken is less than an hr from Columbia and with all Spurrier's defensive woes he couldn't make it down the road to offer a 200lb DE with a 5 second 40 time? Yeah those other offers are probably legit.**** Its not like he camped at USCe, oh wait, he did. Nevermind.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Aiken is less than an hr from Columbia and with all Spurrier's defensive woes he couldn't make it down the road to offer a 200lb DE with a 5 second 40 time? Yeah those other offers are probably legit.**** Its not like he camped at USCe, oh wait, he did. Nevermind.

I have no idea if those offers are real or not. I was just looking at his 247 page.

Leroy Jenkins
01-25-2015, 10:46 AM
I have no idea if those offers are real or not. I was just looking at his 247 page.

I have no idea if they are legit offers myself but USC has taken 5 DEs so far this class and he's not one of them. So its not like they passed on a good player that they just didnt have a need for.

HoopsDawg
01-25-2015, 10:52 AM
I have no idea if they are legit offers myself but USC has taken 5 DEs so far this class and he's not one of them. So its not like they passed on a good player that they just didnt have a need for.

Van Jefferson has committed. Big time WR. Flip from UGA.

ShotgunDawg
01-25-2015, 11:04 AM

For goodness sakes.

4 years ago, when Ole Miss went all in on recruiting, I blamed and complained about Ole Miss' shenanigans.

However, now I blame us and every other SEC school for allowing it to continue to happen. At some point, you have to stop complaining and either do something about it or join them.

At this point, however, they are just laughing and obviously care more about their football program than Georgia, South Carolina, and us.

Saltydog
01-25-2015, 11:15 AM
nt

MabenMaroon
01-25-2015, 11:21 AM

What really needs to be looked at is who his relatives are, friends are, etc.. They probably don't actually want this guy in particular but are after somebody hugely significant that is in his "family/friends network".

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2015, 11:28 AM

I haven't seen this public yet - has he said anything or is this just Yancy using : :cool:

defiantdog
01-25-2015, 11:45 AM

The fact that he took an official visit to South Carolina State tells you the other schools weren't interested in Clemons.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes..... he clearly went to OM just for the party this weekend since it was an unofficial visit. But GA and Oklahoma are on him pretty hard. I just don't see a big time WR going to a team with no QB. Usually big time receivers commit to a team when they know that team has a gunslinger.

I seen it dawg
01-25-2015, 11:51 AM
If there's no commits announced today, maybe that means their big weekend was a flop

Your naivety continues to astound

msstate7
01-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Your naivety continues to astound

Please explain..

I said "if" and obviously this won't be the case.

I seen it dawg
01-25-2015, 11:55 AM
a gunslinger.

Wait...isn't MGK still there?

I seen it dawg
01-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Please explain..

I said "if" and obviously this won't be the case.

There is no way in hell the spin from there will be nothing but the greatest recruiting weekend ever. Come on man

msstate7
01-25-2015, 11:57 AM
There is no way in hell the spin from there will be nothing but the greatest recruiting weekend ever. Come on man

Gotcha.

msstate7
01-25-2015, 04:55 PM
So what's the latest on van Jefferson? Did David Johnson pull a rosebowl?

BiscuitEater
01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
So in a small sample of your business colleagues, three middle-aged men make a road trip to celebrate a recrooting weekend with 17-18 year old young men? That suddenly explains why Yancy has an audience.

Were any of them in the group that got shot at? Just asking.