PDA

View Full Version : Jay King, baseball player from North Ms

MsStateBaseball
01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Any one know him? He signed with OM but apparently enrolled at State in the fall. He is not on baseball team but may be next year. He had good offensive stats in JC ball.

MsStateBaseball
01-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Bump

7dawg
01-23-2015, 09:36 PM
He is a great young man and will be a great addition to the bulldog family. I hope he is on the team next year.

Todd4State
01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I know of him. He was a very good player in high school and as you said JUCO. He won't be on the MSU baseball team though.

Okrastar1
01-23-2015, 11:13 PM
I talked to his dad, there is no family nor baseball player in the state that hates ole miss after what he got put through there... Great family and so glad to have him! Got screwed and lied to left and right by ole miss. Loooong story!!! Biancho is a for sure DICK!!!!

Todd4State
01-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Okra, are you saying that King will be on the MSU team next year?

I think it's also worth mentioning that Godwin was who recruited King, and of course now he is gone.

jalakin
01-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Can you expand on that? Would love to hear the story.

Todd4State
01-23-2015, 11:29 PM
I will say, if you are an infielder, MSU is not a bad place to go in 2016. We lose Rea, Heck, and Britton plus Holland is draft eligible so if he has a good year, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he could go as well.

I think Rooker and Gordon will fight it out at first base next year, and then Holland will have a spot if he comes back. Michael Smith will contend at second base, but depending on what happens with Holland, Ryan Gridley, Luke Alexander, and Hunter Stovall will all compete for spots on the middle infield. I think Luke Reynolds will be in the lead at third base, but there is a chance that Reid Humphreys might get moved there as well. Austin Riley is an instant impact guy and he will be in the mix at 1B/3B/DH. Matt Spruill will get a look at third base as well.

I could see King playing 2B/3B/SS and competing for one of those spots. Also, of interest I found an article confirming that we offered him last year along with USM, so you would think that we would be open to having him on the team. My biggest question is if Ole Miss would try to block him.

Okrastar1
01-23-2015, 11:55 PM
It started last year around SBW, Cohen wanted him to come down for the weekend. Godwin and Biancho found out and gave him an ultimatum of if he went scholly offer is pulled. So he didn't go. Then he enrolled at OM and Biancho has a cardio/run test that jay was struggling with due to some health issues. Biancho had him take the tests multiple times in a few hour span to the point where he had to be helped off by staff. He took the test multiple times throughout the next few weeks to the point where he could do no more and had lost 20+ lbs and for a kid who only weighs 170-180 that's not good. And Biancho wouldn't even allow him to be around the team, wear ole m baseball gear nothing. So once the training staff finally had him checked out properly by a medical doctor they found the issue by that time he was about 12-16 weeks behind the rest and Biancho more or less just acted like he was a waste of space.

Godwin recruited him then bailed, Biancho never watched him play in person ever, and anytime the parents talked to Biancho he would not even acknowledge an issue...

Jay is a good kid from a great family who I hope gets his love for the game back and plays at state in the near future

MsStateBaseball
01-23-2015, 11:56 PM
I have heard a couple of other stories like this about OM. Broken promise of scholarship money, playing different position than what they said. Word will get around.

Todd4State
01-23-2015, 11:59 PM
I wonder if Forrest Moore's lawyer will sue Bianco?

Okrastar1
01-23-2015, 11:59 PM
I will say, if you are an infielder, MSU is not a bad place to go in 2016. We lose Rea, Heck, and Britton plus Holland is draft eligible so if he has a good year, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he could go as well.

I think Rooker and Gordon will fight it out at first base next year, and then Holland will have a spot if he comes back. Michael Smith will contend at second base, but depending on what happens with Holland, Ryan Gridley, Luke Alexander, and Hunter Stovall will all compete for spots on the middle infield. I think Luke Reynolds will be in the lead at third base, but there is a chance that Reid Humphreys might get moved there as well. Austin Riley is an instant impact guy and he will be in the mix at 1B/3B/DH. Matt Spruill will get a look at third base as well.

I could see King playing 2B/3B/SS and competing for one of those spots. Also, of interest I found an article confirming that we offered him last year along with USM, so you would think that we would be open to having him on the team. My biggest question is if Ole Miss would try to block him.

Ole miss can't do anything to him now he is enrolled at state as a student for the time being, OM scholly is null and void at this point

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 12:00 AM
It started last year around SBW, Cohen wanted him to come down for the weekend. Godwin and Biancho found out and gave him an ultimatum of if he went scholly offer is pulled. So he didn't go. Then he enrolled at OM and Biancho has a cardio/run test that jay was struggling with due to some health issues. Biancho had him take the tests multiple times in a few hour span to the point where he had to be helped off by staff. He took the test multiple times throughout the next few weeks to the point where he could do no more and had lost 20+ lbs and for a kid who only weighs 170-180 that's not good. And Biancho wouldn't even allow him to be around the team, wear ole m baseball gear nothing. So once the training staff finally had him checked out properly by a medical doctor they found the issue by that time he was about 12-16 weeks behind the rest and Biancho more or less just acted like he was a waste of space.

Godwin recruited him then bailed, Biancho never watched him play in person ever, and anytime the parents talked to Biancho he would not even acknowledge an issue...

Jay is a good kid from a great family who I hope gets his love for the game back and plays at state in the near future

Thanks for the info. Treating some players like cattle. Bianco just wanted to get rid of him. Anyway possible. He is gutless for that.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 12:03 AM
I have heard a couple of other stories like this about OM. Broken promise of scholarship money, playing different position than what they said. Word will get around.

Oh, the word is around. Godwin was the main reason anyone worth a darn was going there. Give them a couple of years and watch what happens. They still have talent from Godwin and they will be able to live off of that for a little bit. I do think they will miss him as a coach though- hitters go through peaks and valleys and that's where a good hitting coach comes in.

Okrastar1
01-24-2015, 12:05 AM
It's so sad I mean his dad is crushed, feels like his sons dreams were smashed by a coach that could give less of a rats ass about his players... The part where he told me about his sons legs giving out and having to be carried off by staff due to being run so many times in a short span was heartbreaking

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 12:05 AM
If King is having health issues, then sitting out a year will probably do him some good. He can go play summer ball somewhere probably and get into shape this summer.

Okrastar1
01-24-2015, 12:07 AM
It was only asthma, nothing more nothing less. But once they diagnosed it he was on his final week of test opportunities and they would not allow a inhaler to be used

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 12:09 AM
It's so sad I mean his dad is crushed, feels like his sons dreams were smashed by a coach that could give less of a rats ass about his players... The part where he told me about his sons legs giving out and having to be carried off by staff due to being run so many times in a short span was heartbreaking

After hearing that, I hope he gets another chance, and I'd love for it to be with us. I hope things work out for him somewhere, if not MSU. I know options are limited once a players JUCO eligibility is up, but if MSU doesn't work out, Delta State has a very good program as well.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 12:11 AM
It was only asthma, nothing more nothing less. But once they diagnosed it he was on his final week of test opportunities and they would not allow a inhaler to be used

That's negligent.

messageboardsuperhero
01-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Damn, the guy hit .424 in JUCO last year with with 20 extra base hits in 44 games- plus he plays at a thin position for us in 2016. I wouldn't mind seeing us give him a shot next year after he gets fully healthy.

Godwin wanting him tells me he's probably a pretty good player.

messageboardsuperhero
01-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Oh, the word is around. Godwin was the main reason anyone worth a darn was going there. Give them a couple of years and watch what happens. They still have talent from Godwin and they will be able to live off of that for a little bit. I do think they will miss him as a coach though- hitters go through peaks and valleys and that's where a good hitting coach comes in.

There is a pretty big difference in the caliber of player UM signed from 2012-2014 and the guys they have commited for future classes. We've basically gotten every single player we wanted in state for 2015 and 2016 except for a couple in the 2016 class. UM's local area talent pool had been starting to dwindle since Cohen got us going again, and now it's getting tougher after the Dulin fallout (and I will say, that probably wasn't really their fault).

Bianco better hope he can sign the entire Orlando Scorpions travel team.

AlSwearengen
01-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Bianco's time is limited, unless of course if he finds another superstar assistant that he can use as a crutch. I've heard first hand stories about how he acts toward families when they wont commit to olemiss on the spot. I honestly don't think olemiss gets that many good players because of bianco anyway because he sounds like an asshole on his good days.

shoeless joe
01-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Gonna have to go against the grain on this one in regards to Bianco. He is a very good coach and I have a ton of respect for a guy that has done what he's done at ole miss and was loyal to them when LSU was a possibility. He has taken an irrelevant program and turned them into a top 20 program. He's a good coach, and yes part of that is surrounding yourself with a good staff.

That said I know nothing about this situation and what may or may not have happened but there is ALWAYS 2 sides to a story and a baseball parent will be very quick to place blame on a coach. Not saying that's what happened here but I've seen it time after time. Any good coach at any level is going to be labeled an ass hole by some. Dang, our own fans labeled Cohen just that...

Again, I don't know this kid from Adam but if he can help us I would love for him to get the opportunity.

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
The reason OM has been good is they go after highly ranked kids on travel teams. We are now doing that. Polk didn't do it. Cohen started once he saw others doing it and becoming successful and going to Omaha got our name out there. Our talent is taking off right now and OM is tailing off.

Cohen always always brings in a juco MIF for experience and depth. If Holland has great year, I see him drafted and gone. This is his 4th year of college. Cohen will not rely on true freshman to man the MIF. King has a chance.

He needs to play for Dulin all spring and summer then come enroll in fall. Numbers going to be tight getting down to 35.

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Chase Nyman is another kid that got the shirt end by Bianco. I heard he showed up in Oxford and they told him sorry no more scholarship money. He is in minor leagues now.

jgunn
01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
It's good to hear the other side of this story. I had heard he showed up out of shape and couldn't handle the conditioning. My first thought was how could a kid show up at a program out of shape.

On another note, I took my son to DeSoto Central's baseball banquet this past week to hear Butch speak, and man is he entertaining. Had a great time listening to his stories. The kids coming from DC are some great guys.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 10:42 AM
There is a pretty big difference in the caliber of player UM signed from 2012-2014 and the guys they have commited for future classes. We've basically gotten every single player we wanted in state for 2015 and 2016 except for a couple in the 2016 class. UM's local area talent pool had been starting to dwindle since Cohen got us going again, and now it's getting tougher after the Dulin fallout (and I will say, that probably wasn't really their fault).

Bianco better hope he can sign the entire Orlando Scorpions travel team.

Even worse for them is we not only have been dominating Mississippi- we're dominating Memphis.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Bianco's time is limited, unless of course if he finds another superstar assistant that he can use as a crutch. I've heard first hand stories about how he acts toward families when they wont commit to olemiss on the spot. I honestly don't think olemiss gets that many good players because of bianco anyway because he sounds like an asshole on his good days.

Bianco just made it to Omaha. They're now in the same situation we were in with Polk. He will be there as long as he wants. In a couple of years, people are going to realize that Ole Miss going to Omaha was one of the best things that could have happened to us.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Gonna have to go against the grain on this one in regards to Bianco. He is a very good coach and I have a ton of respect for a guy that has done what he's done at ole miss and was loyal to them when LSU was a possibility. He has taken an irrelevant program and turned them into a top 20 program. He's a good coach, and yes part of that is surrounding yourself with a good staff.

That said I know nothing about this situation and what may or may not have happened but there is ALWAYS 2 sides to a story and a baseball parent will be very quick to place blame on a coach. Not saying that's what happened here but I've seen it time after time. Any good coach at any level is going to be labeled an ass hole by some. Dang, our own fans labeled Cohen just that...

Again, I don't know this kid from Adam but if he can help us I would love for him to get the opportunity.

He has done a good job. I'm glad playing them in the Governor's Cup doesn't hurt our RPI anymore.

The thing is this has happened several times.

AlSwearengen
01-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Bianco just made it to Omaha. They're now in the same situation we were in with Polk. He will be there as long as he wants. In a couple of years, people are going to realize that Ole Miss going to Omaha was one of the best things that could have happened to us.

Todd, I agree in that their trip to Omaha has put olemiss in a tight spot. They are shackled to him for awhile now but I don't think he gets more than three years of mediocre results. Alot of the bear fans know what we are saying and that is that McDonnell and lately Godwin are who were doing the leg work to keep them winning and that is why I don't think he is totally in the fan's good graces. It sure would be a good time to get that new stadium started and put another nail in their coffin.

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 11:26 AM
No I want Bianco to stay there. He is good for us.

I think they will nose dive this year. They don't have the experience where it counts, they may have good starters but no good bullpen. They get guys banged up and they will be in trouble. They have a tough schedule. Louisville, Florida and Vanderbilt will sweep them I think.

messageboardsuperhero
01-24-2015, 11:28 AM
I really don't know anything about this Bianco mistreating players stuff, but I do know people have pretty much stopped saying that about Cohen since he's gotten his own players in.

Bianco is a good coach and will keep them solid while he's there. The guy finds a way to put together a good weekend rotation every year- I'm just of the opinion that he needs a McDonnell or a Godwin to go from solid to elite. Take this 2015 class, for example. There are 10 players from MS that are signed to play SEC baseball- we've got eight of them and they have one. I don't care who you sign out of state, getting dominated like that in one of the best high school classes in MS in a while is a problem.

engie
01-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Todd, I agree in that their trip to Omaha has put olemiss in a tight spot. They are shackled to him for awhile now and a lot of the bear fans know what we are saying and that is that McDonnell and lately Godwin are who were doing the leg work to keep them winning. It sure would be a good time to get that new stadium started.

This is true. We'll find out over time whether Clement is Godwin/McDonnell or if he's Reinstetle/Mossberg. He's certainly not the slam dunk on the front end that I thought Godwin was. That position really does define their success level in recruiting.

OM is meeting with architects for renovating baseball again too. They are talking about adding alot of facilities stuff for players/coaches and some more premium seating to Swayze.

On Jay King -- there is naturally two sides to the story. Their position on the matter isn't unreasonable to me. I imagine if you talked to the kid's parents from New Hope that quit in only a couple of months(Taylor Stafford), they'd probably tell a similar story about Cohen/MSU. Parents are often the worse sources of info on this kind of stuff IMO.

If the kid could help us in the future, I'd certainly be OK with giving him a shot. But if he couldn't make it under Bianco, Cohen isn't going to be a peach. Despite some of the stuff said here, Bianco isn't in the business of purposefully running off guys that he feels can help them out of meanness of heart. He doesn't take much shit off people though. Anyone expecting their talent level to be down drastically in the short term(this year) is deluding themselves...

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Todd, I agree in that their trip to Omaha has put olemiss in a tight spot. They are shackled to him for awhile now but I don't think he gets more than three years of mediocre results. Alot of the bear fans know what we are saying and that is that McDonnell and lately Godwin are who were doing the leg work to keep them winning and that is why I don't think he is totally in the fan's good graces. It sure would be a good time to get that new stadium started and put another nail in their coffin.

I agree with that. Everyone has their point where enough is enough. But three mediocre baseball seasons can be very damaging- especially with what we have going on right now. Especially when you consider that at a minimum it takes a new coach at any college program two years to get established because of the recruiting cycles. So, then three becomes five more than likely.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 11:41 AM
No I want Bianco to stay there. He is good for us.

I think they will nose dive this year. They don't have the experience where it counts, they may have good starters but no good bullpen. They get guys banged up and they will be in trouble. They have a tough schedule. Louisville, Florida and Vanderbilt will sweep them I think.

I'll be surprised if they just nosedive. They should be in a regional this year. The biggest challenge that they will face are the "year after" syndrome which is what we went through last year after going to Omaha and replacing guys like Will Allen and Laxer. They had a lot of senior leaders last year- and that helps out a lot. They have three weeks of cupcakes to start the year, so they should be in a good spot as far as getting off to a good start.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 11:44 AM
I really don't know anything about this Bianco mistreating players stuff, but I do know people have pretty much stopped saying that about Cohen since he's gotten his own players in.

Bianco is a good coach and will keep them solid while he's there. The guy finds a way to put together a good weekend rotation every year- I'm just of the opinion that he needs a McDonnell or a Godwin to go from solid to elite. Take this 2015 class, for example. There are 10 players from MS that are signed to play SEC baseball- we've got eight of them and they have one. I don't care who you sign out of state, getting dominated like that in one of the best high school classes in MS in a while is a problem.

That's because Cohen has been bringing in the "right" kind of players that have talent and are willing to work. You can't recruit out of a camp, and you also shouldn't solely rely on PG rankings either like Ole Miss.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
This is true. We'll find out over time whether Clement is Godwin/McDonnell or if he's Reinstetle/Mossberg. He's certainly not the slam dunk on the front end that I thought Godwin was. That position really does define their success level in recruiting.

OM is meeting with architects for renovating baseball again too. They are talking about adding alot of facilities stuff for players/coaches and some more premium seating to Swayze.

On Jay King -- there is naturally two sides to the story. Their position on the matter isn't unreasonable to me. I imagine if you talked to the kid's parents from New Hope that quit in only a couple of months(Taylor Stafford), they'd probably tell a similar story about Cohen/MSU. Parents are often the worse sources of info on this kind of stuff IMO.

If the kid could help us in the future, I'd certainly be OK with giving him a shot. But if he couldn't make it under Bianco, Cohen isn't going to be a peach. Despite some of the stuff said here, Bianco isn't in the business of purposefully running off guys that he feels can help them out of meanness of heart. He doesn't take much shit off people though. Anyone expecting their talent level to be down drastically in the short term(this year) is deluding themselves...

It's one thing to kick someone off the team for being lazy. It's another to kick him off because of asthma that was undiagnosed. Assuming that is true.

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Only one way to find out about our opinions and that is to play ball. I will be the first to say anyone was right. I will also be on Kendall Rogers ass. He always picks them in polls. If D 1 baseball poll is the only one to have them in top 25......

Other two released polls have them 34 and not in top 40...

engie
01-24-2015, 12:02 PM
It's one thing to kick someone off the team for being lazy. It's another to kick him off because of asthma that was undiagnosed. Assuming that is true.

You are assuming too much on this one...

Wasn't actually kicked off the team either...

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
You are assuming too much on this one...

Wasn't actually kicked off the team either...

But Bianco apparently didn't sit down with him and talk about a plan of action of redshirting, whatever. King must have said I'm transferring and Bianco said ok. He didn't want him there for whatever reason.

engie
01-24-2015, 12:49 PM
But Bianco apparently didn't sit down with him and talk about a plan of action of redshirting, whatever. King must have said I'm transferring and Bianco said ok. He didn't want him there for whatever reason.

He didn't "transfer". He just quit. They talked him out of it once -- the second time, after it was clear his heart wasn't in it, he just allowed him to go. He didn't have the desire to put in the work to play at the SEC level. Hasn't shown it at MSU yet either.

Given the fantastical stories that have evolved from the parents in this situation, it's not hard to understand why they eventually let him walk. Bianco has gotten in bed with a couple of incorrect people lately -- and it's biting him. That was his actual mistake. Not in how he actually treated Jay King or Dalton Dulin IMO.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 01:07 PM
He didn't "transfer". He just quit. They talked him out of it once -- the second time, after it was clear his heart wasn't in it, he just allowed him to go. He didn't have the desire to put in the work to play at the SEC level. Hasn't shown it at MSU yet either.

Given the fantastical stories that have evolved from the parents in this situation, it's not hard to understand why they eventually let him walk. Bianco has gotten in bed with a couple of incorrect people lately -- and it's biting him. That was his actual mistake. Not in how he actually treated Jay King or Dalton Dulin IMO.

This is true about Dulin. If you are going to lay in bed with people like that, you have to go through and play them. Even if Dulin was hitting .100. The bad thing is you can lose your team because you are basically playing an eight man lineup presumably with someone better on the bench most likely.

So then he has to decide between burning recruiting bridges vs. losing his team.

Interesting to note that Bianco started to sell his soul so to speak once Cohen arrived.

shoeless joe
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM

Stafford was never an SEC caliber player.

MsStateBaseball
01-24-2015, 01:49 PM
For Jay King or anyone else wanting to play when this 2015 highly ranked class comes in (minus hopefully just two drafted players) they better work real hard. Starting from here on out you better be real talented and bring your lunch box. Times have changed.