PDA

View Full Version : Damien Robinson...

maroonmania
01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Per the Daily Journal today he is intent on coming back for a 6th year if granted by the NCAA (and I can't see why it wouldn't be). Don't see him starting but he could certainly provide additional depth.

engie
01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
They considered his injury "us losing another starter on the OL" back during the fall. If that was true, then we must also return another starter this year. Of course, this inverse scenario will never come to light...

starkvegasdawg
01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
He stays around much longer he and his son might get to play together on the same team.

msstate7
01-23-2015, 12:24 PM
The only problem I have with this is our scholarship count. Aren't we already crunching numbers?

maroonmania
01-23-2015, 12:31 PM
The only problem I have with this is our scholarship count. Aren't we already crunching numbers?

I would assume he would have talked with the coaches about a scholly being there for him if he comes back. Not much use in applying for the 6th year without that assurance.

Political Hack
01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
I'll take a co-starter at RT every day of the week and twice on sunday regardless of the numbers.

They'll find a way to make it work.

Any word on Hughes? I haven't been paying attention.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Jay is done. He never had any intentions on playing a 6th year.

thedawg
01-23-2015, 12:57 PM
If Dan wants him back we shouldnt really argue... Dan has zero problem in helping guys decide to move on if he needs them to for numbers.. Hes done it a few times. Remember Brandon Wilson had graduated and decided to take a job instead of play his senior year... If Dan wants him back hes good enough to take a spot

thedawg
01-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Also in order to get a sixth year you have to lose two seasons to injury. They don't just hand them out either.. You have to have documented injuries for two pretty much full seasons. So Jay Hughes was never coming back. That was all just internet legend. He red shirted because he wasn't ready and then missed a year to an Achilles. He doesn't qualify. Damien Robinson was hurt the year he red shirted (Knee MCL I think) and then missed last year with an ACL. So he is eligible. Another one Cedric Giles broke his hand after playing in a game or two his freshmen year so he red shirted. Then missed last year. So he will be a candidate if he wants to.

deltadawg99
01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
I'd take Robinson back in a heartbeat. No doubt that he could help add some depth at the tackle position.

Political Hack
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Jay is done. He never had any intentions on playing a 6th year.

I think he could apply though, if he wanted to. I was hoping he'd consider it. We need some veteran leadership back there.

Political Hack
01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Also in order to get a sixth year you have to lose two seasons to injury. They don't just hand them out either.. You have to have documented injuries for two pretty much full seasons. So Jay Hughes was never coming back. That was all just internet legend. He red shirted because he wasn't ready and then missed a year to an Achilles. He doesn't qualify. Damien Robinson was hurt the year he red shirted (Knee MCL I think) and then missed last year with an ACL. So he is eligible. Another one Cedric Giles broke his hand after playing in a game or two his freshmen year so he red shirted. Then missed last year. So he will be a candidate if he wants to.

I thought he was hurt and had to miss practice when he redshirted? if he practiced all year though like a normal RS, you're right.

Bo Darville
01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Also in order to get a sixth year you have to lose two seasons to injury.

Are you sure about that?

Bo Darville
01-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Also in order to get a sixth year you have to lose two seasons to injury.

I looked it up and you are correct. I just learned something.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-3-five-year-clock-ext.pdf

bulldawg28
01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
I think he could apply though, if he wanted to. I was hoping he'd consider it. We need some veteran leadership back there.

Hack, he gone!!! And thank goodness. Another year of terrible safety play is too much.

state66
01-23-2015, 04:51 PM
He hasn't done anything in his 4 years on the field. What makes you think he will do something next year? Move on and use that scholarship on another offensive lineman. He won't do anything again next year where we could be using that scholarship to redshirt a better caliber athlete.

MabenMaroon
01-23-2015, 07:24 PM
I am pretty sure he is in grad school, he would have to be from a fairly well to do family or lazy not to qualify for some sort of free ride in grad school. Don't see him needing to use a fb scholly.

HancockCountyDog
01-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Hack, he gone!!! And thank goodness. Another year of terrible safety play is too much.

I'm not sure anybody eats their own better than us.

Aces High
01-23-2015, 07:35 PM

Get out of here with that shit. Jay did well and had multiple injuries that never allowed him to come back fully.

He is a model student and citizen and was a good football player. His dad is the most important coach on our staff. Stfu

mic
01-23-2015, 09:53 PM
I'll take a co-starter at RT every day of the week and twice on sunday regardless of the numbers.

They'll find a way to make it work.

Any word on Hughes? I haven't been paying attention.

Agreed. For him to want to come back for a sixth means he will probably bust his ass and try and Win that starting job.. Win / Win whatever the outcome...

Todd4State
01-23-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't understand the angst that some of our fans seem to have towards Damien. Is he Derek Sherrod? No. Is he going to live up to his five star ranking? No. Can he be another Tobias Smith? Yes. Can he help us out next year? Yes- if the NCAA allows him to.

It's ironic that the guy with the highest recruiting ranking ever landed by Hevesey is the most criticized o-lineman by our fans on the team.

Schultzy
01-23-2015, 10:29 PM
I'll say this for him. I went to a practice before he got hurt last year when he was working with the first team and physically he was in as good of shape and size as you would ever want to see a right tackle.

maroonmania
01-23-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't understand the angst that some of our fans seem to have towards Damien. Is he Derek Sherrod? No. Is he going to live up to his five star ranking? No. Can he be another Tobias Smith? Yes. Can he help us out next year? Yes- if the NCAA allows him to.

It's ironic that the guy with the highest recruiting ranking ever landed by Hevesey is the most criticized o-lineman by our fans on the team.

No, I think that honor still belongs to Joey Trapp. Biggest waste of an OL scholly we've had under Mullen especially given he came in as a JUCO.

thedawg
01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
It's not popular to say but he was having phenomenal camp before he got hurt. He was the clear cut starter at right tackle. What would have happened? No one knows.. But he got hurt. Now he wants to come back even though we have one returning starter at tackle and a juco stud. After that we have a bunch of bodies with varying questions. Damien is gonna come back and may the best man win.. What if he beats out Rankin the greatest ol recruit we have ever signed according to the Internet.. Gasp... I don't think it will happen either but football is a very self correcting sport. May the best man win

blacklistedbully
01-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Jay Hughes was also a tremendous leader, beyond what he contributed athletically.

Cannot fathom why a true MSU fan would post garbage like that on a MB.

NCDawg
01-24-2015, 01:34 PM
No, I think that honor still belongs to Joey Trapp. Biggest waste of an OL scholly we've had under Mullen especially given he came in as a JUCO.

Plus, we went all the way to California to get him. Guess we couldn't find a better JC OL in Mississippi.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Plus, we went all the way to California to get him. Guess we couldn't find a better JC OL in Mississippi.

We were probably trying to establish some relationships out there.

bulldawg28
01-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Get out of here with that shit. Jay did well and had multiple injuries that never allowed him to come back fully.

He is a model student and citizen and was a good football player. His dad is the most important coach on our staff. Stfu

He's an outstanding citizen that's true. However, he wouldn't start in any other SEC school.

Aces High
01-24-2015, 02:34 PM
He's an outstanding citizen that's true. However, he wouldn't start in any other SEC school.

Really? He started for the number 1 team all yr and cant at vandy or ky?

bulldawg28
01-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Really? He started for the number 1 team all yr and cant at vandy or ky?

Kentucky has *4 Stamps from Emcc that we recruited hard but turned is down. Vanderbilt is the viable option.

thedawg
01-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Jay Hughes wasn't a stand out but damn he wasn't near as bad as yall are acting like

Aces High
01-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Kentucky has *4 Stamps from Emcc that we recruited hard but turned is down. Vanderbilt is the viable option.

And damien robinson is a 5 star. What does him being a 4star have to do with the price of tea in china?

Ill also call BS on vandy being the only viable option. I bet he starts for more than 1 team. Im not about to go through every roster but your claim is ridiculous. Jay didnt even play bad this year really.

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Hughes is not Ronnie Lott, but he was a very good leader and I don't recall him specifically being beaten on a lot of plays.

bulldawg28
01-24-2015, 07:33 PM
And damien robinson is a 5 star. What does him being a 4star have to do with the price of tea in china?

Ill also call BS on vandy being the only viable option. I bet he starts for more than 1 team. Im not about to go through every roster but your claim is ridiculous. Jay didnt even play bad this year really.

You obviously don't watch much football other than MSU. Stamps was/is a playmaker. I'll agree to disagree with you on the discussion.

Barking 13
01-24-2015, 07:43 PM

smdh... turd of the week post...

Saltydog
01-24-2015, 08:08 PM
whatsoever he wouldn't be the starter this year. I hope he returns, we need the depth......

Todd4State
01-24-2015, 08:28 PM
whatsoever he wouldn't be the starter this year. I hope he returns, we need the depth......

Well, the difference between then and now is Senior has had a full year of starting experience. That has to be factored in at some point.

mic
01-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Just shows how ignorant our fans are.. What hurt us at S was when we lost both Cox and Market.. Hughes was a good SEC Saftey.. Yeah if your the starting safety for the number 1 team in the country for 1/4 of the season your probably a pretty good player..

mic
01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Well, the difference between then and now is Senior has had a full year of starting experience. That has to be factored in at some point.

Yep.. I'm sure it's Seniors job to lose.. But having a solid back up is huge.. We did get a little lucky last year with no big injuries to our OL...