PDA

View Full Version : Amazon FireTV Stick vs Amazon FireTV Box

chainedup_Dawg
01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
I recently got my kids a TV for their playroom and set up their Xbox to where they can stream Netflix, play games and watch movies in the playroom and not hog the living room TV. By doing so, I have lost the ability to stream to my living room TV.

I have done limited reading up on the two options but wanted y'all to give your opinion as well as ask, do you have to have an Amazon account that you pay for monthly to operate these? I really only want it for Netflix & Youtube at least for now. Fire away, appreciate it!

jumbo
01-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I don't have any experience with Fire TV, but I do have Apple TV. $99 and you get Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. Plus it syncs up with all of your other apple devices and you can stream anything from them to your TV.

Political Hack
01-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't have any experience with Fire TV, but I do have Apple TV. $99 and you get Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. Plus it syncs up with all of your other apple devices and you can stream anything from them to your TV.

Do you get live TV (sports) and can you stream without wi-fi?

Bama_Dawg
01-27-2015, 11:10 AM
The biggest thing about "cutting the cord" is live sports. Right now, ESPN has no package to offer if you don't have some sort of cable/satellite service already. And cable has to be more than just internet. So, sadly, until live sports can be streamed outside of having some sort of cable/satellite service, alot of us are stuck. With all of the apps like HBO Go, Watch ESPN, and the broadcast networks all having their own app, I think they are seeing the light and cutting the cord will be a bigger wave of the future. Chromecast, AppleTV, Amazon Fire/Stick, Roku, etc, will be the facilitators of this and that's why you are seeing the "big boys" jump on this now, to lead the way.

maroonmania
01-27-2015, 01:18 PM
I recently got my kids a TV for their playroom and set up their Xbox to where they can stream Netflix, play games and watch movies in the playroom and not hog the living room TV. By doing so, I have lost the ability to stream to my living room TV.

I have done limited reading up on the two options but wanted y'all to give your opinion as well as ask, do you have to have an Amazon account that you pay for monthly to operate these? I really only want it for Netflix & Youtube at least for now. Fire away, appreciate it!

Just so I understand, does this firestick just allow you to stream TV shows off Amazon or Netflix directly to your TV without another device (such as PS3 or Xbox)? Does it give you anything beyond that?

huffy
01-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Just so I understand, does this firestick just allow you to stream TV shows off Amazon or Netflix directly to your TV without another device (such as PS3 or Xbox)? Does it give you anything beyond that?

Fire TV Stick allows Amazon TV shows and Movies (well worth it if you are a prime member), Netflix, Hulu, Live ESPN streams (with existing cable/satellite subscription), and several other apps that include movies, music, radio, and games.

I love my fire tv stick but I also need my live television.