PDA

View Full Version : SEC West baseball prediction thread

messageboardsuperhero
01-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Alright, I'm sick of waiting on baseball to start, so let's at least get some predictions going.

1. LSU
2. MSU
3. Arkansas
4. Bama
5. UM
6. A&M
7. Auburn

Unfortunately LSU just has too much firepower coming back IMO. I could see us, Arkansas, or Bama coming up and winning the west- but LSU is the frontrunner with so much of that lineup returning and Poche leading the rotation.

2-6 are all very close, and I could see them finishing in almost any order. I do see us, Arkansas, and Bama to a lesser extent as the next best teams behind LSU. Speaking of Arkansas, they've got a lot of really good young talent and will be a force over the next few seasons. Don't be surprised to see them make some noise. Bama returns a lot in the field, but I'm not a big believer in their pitching. They do have the talent to contend though. UM and A&M will both be good, and I could see either finishing higher than where I currently have them right now. We won't really know the effects of losing Godwin for another couple of years.

Auburn's bringing up the rear again. Golloway doesn't have enough to work with yet.

As for us, I expect to finish somewhere in the top 4. We've got a lot of talent coming back at every position- but it's just not proven yet in a lot of places... That's why I can't pick us to finish higher than second right now.

maroonmania
01-22-2015, 05:46 PM
I could literally see us finishing almost anywhere in the West though I think it will be likely somewhere around 3rd to 5th. We just have so many question marks in the pitching staff and outfield that it will take some guys really bursting onto the scene this year in a big way to finish toward the top of the West.

Todd4State
01-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Good breakdown. I think we probably go 17-13 in SEC play. I like how our schedule sets up.

MsStateBaseball
01-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I just posted this yesterday on twitter:
Ms State
LSU
Alabama
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Texas a and m
Auburn

We have our toughest series at home. Alabama, LSU, S Carolina and Florida. The away games are at hitters parks, Kentucky, OM and TAMU.

MetEdDawg
01-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I agree that we could finish anywhere between 2nd and 6th. Just depends on if these guys can gel together and we can get our rhythm. Going to be some learning pains this year I think, but if we can pull it together by the back half of SEC play we can do some damage. I think we end up as a 2 seed and that some 1 seed is going to be really pissed about that. I see us really putting together a solid second half and finishing strong and being a tough out in a regional.

As a side note, Auburn may be bringing up the rear for a while. I've heard Galloway is a nut and actually has a handler to deal with parents and some others in the program because he has a tendency to go off on people. Lot of Auburn folks weren't happy with his hire.

sleepy dawg
01-22-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't think we'll finish that high, although I expect us to finish strong. We will have some growing to do during the season, and I fully expect Cohen to be doing Cohen things the first part of the season.

Todd4State
01-22-2015, 09:26 PM
The thing is, our pitchers aren't elite, but they have a lot of experience. We won't dominate, but our guys will get the job done. The key is one of the younger guys stepping up and staying healthy.

Todd4State
01-22-2015, 09:30 PM
I agree that we could finish anywhere between 2nd and 6th. Just depends on if these guys can gel together and we can get our rhythm. Going to be some learning pains this year Ih think, but if we can pull it together by the back half of SEC play we can do some damage. I think we end up as a 2 seed and that some 1 seed is going to be really pissed about that. I see us really putting together a solid second half and finishing strong and being a tough out in a regional.

As a side note, Auburn may be bringing up the rear for a while. I've heard Galloway is a nut and actually has a handler to deal with parents and some others in the program because he has a tendency to go off on people. Lot of Auburn folks weren't happy with his hire. Sounds kind of like Cohen in year two. I actually think Galloway is a good coach- but you have to have everyone pulling on the rope in the same direction. You're probably right- it's going to be a rough year for them.

Todd4State
01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
I actually think we start off pretty quickly. Our first two weeks are pretty easy. It doesn't amp up until we play Arizona in week three, and then San Diego is a good program. All of those games are in Starkville.

engie
01-22-2015, 09:41 PM
I'd hate to even speculate right now. Didn't pay close enough attention to ages of opposing players last year. IMO, it'll depend on cross-division draw as much as anything, and I haven't even checked that out yet...

Coach34
01-22-2015, 09:58 PM
This will be Cohen's best offensive team I believe
We will also have one of the best defensive IF's in the nation

Pitching is a question mark.

Should be a fun season

Todd4State
01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Florida, South Carolina in Starkville and Kentucky and Tennessee on the road. We finish the season with the Vols.