PDA

View Full Version : Gun for my son?

Maroon Blood
01-21-2015, 05:54 PM
My son turns 9 in a few months. I never hunted much, but he loves deer hunting. He killed a doe the second time he went hunting. I need to purchase him a gun and have no idea what kind of gun to get him. Note: He's a little guy. A few buddies have suggested a 243 youth model or a 708 with low recoil bullets. While I am quite knowledgeable of MSU sports, my knowledge of hunting and guns is very elementary. Any suggestions/help would be deeply appreciated.

msstatelp1
01-21-2015, 06:36 PM
consider a Ruger American Compact or youth model Savage Axis if you don't want to spend a bunch of money. I'd go with 7mm-08 with reduced recoil. That setup will let you go to full power rounds as he gets big enough to handle them.

SapperDawg
01-21-2015, 07:45 PM
The Savage Axis XP and Savage Axis XP II youth combos are some of the best deals out there on a starter rifle that will last for life, all for less than $500 (and some searching can get these for less than $400). These come with a scope borsighted, and reportedly can get less than 1.5" groups at 100 yards of the box.

XP Youth: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axisxpyouth
XP II Youth: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis2xpyouth

The differences in the XP and XP II: The XP II has a better (read smoother, lighter pull) trigger than the XP,;however the XP II only comes in a .243 youth model, where the XP youth comes in .223, .243 and 7mm-08 calibers.

I am partial to the 7mm-08, and the Hornady SST 120 grain Custom Lite round is plenty enough round to take whitetail at reasonable ranges in the South.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-120-gr-SST-customlite/

TUSK
01-21-2015, 10:21 PM
how big is he now?

what did he kill his deer with?

243/7-08 are great choices for most younguns, regardless....

the most important thing is the optics, not the rifle manufacturer or caliber... 3rd is projectile/load (in this situation)...

SpeckleDawg
01-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I will also recommend the 7mm-08. I have shot a couple that were borrowed and I'm sold on them. My wife shoots a Ruger 7mm-08 and is deadly with it. Some reduced recoil rounds in 7mm-08 would likely fit him well.

starkvegasdawg
01-22-2015, 01:23 PM
300 Win Mag or go home.

I kid. I was shooting a .243 at that age and had no issues what so ever with it. It was my granddad's rifle and now it is mine. It will be what I give my son when he gets old enough. Never shot the 7mm-08 so I have no opinion one way or the other. If neither of those appeal to you then there is always a 25.06 or a .223.

sleepy dawg
01-22-2015, 04:33 PM
I always used a .308 as a child. Killed many a deer with it. I believe I was 9 when I started, and I was also small for my age. That being said, my brother used a .243 and it did quite well too. If he is noticeably concerned about the recoil of the gun, I'd go with a .243. It will kill a deer easily and has very little recoil.

A .308 packs a bit more punch, but is extremely accurate and reliable and would also be a good gun and probably would last longer. A .308 is still a good gun for adults too, but not as popular.

Offshore Dawg
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM
consider a Ruger American Compact or youth model Savage Axis if you don't want to spend a bunch of money. I'd go with 7mm-08 with reduced recoil. That setup will let you go to full power rounds as he gets big enough to handle them.

These would be a great two choices in either 7-08 rem or 243 win. Put a decent scope on one and he could use either one from now until retirement.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-22-2015, 06:09 PM
I shot a .243 up until a couple years ago and my little sister has always shot a .308. The 7-08 is a solid choice as well. I have killed a couple with that round as well. Like everyone has said get him a quality scope and he will be laying them down for years regardless of the caliber you choose.

chainedup_Dawg
01-23-2015, 09:19 AM
I would highly suggest a 7mm-08 with reduced recoil shells. Even without the reduced recoil shells the recoil isn't that bad. The only real reason I suggest a 7mm-08 over the .243 is that I have been on several tracking calls and the majority of the time the weapon was a .243/.270 However, there are people that have hunted .243s all their lives and never had to track one. A lot of emphasis needs to be put on optics (depending on how long your average shot will be where you hunt) and practice.

I'd say go with a 7mm-08 w/ reduced recoil and take him shooting. Have him put a box of shells down range and he won't be thinking about the recoil in the stand.