PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting rumblings....

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
I had dinner last night with a decent group of people and actually ran into some decent LSU and AU folk (Why I love the coast, you can actually find a few reasonable SEC fans) and one obnoxious bear fan, and one old friend of mine that is a bear fan (when they are winning).

In talking with the AU fan, their recruiting sites are telling them that they finish with multiple five stars (Martez Ivey, Cowart, CeCe Jefferson and a kid named HOlland?) Also, they are trying to flip a OSU QB commit, that I can't remember his name and am too lazy to look up. He says they are "all in" this year with Muschamp and their team full of recruiters. I asked if there was any talk of offering our OL commit from AL, and he said that none of the writers on their sites are saying he is a backup plan, so that is good news for us.

The LSU guy I met, was funny as shit and went on and on about Coach O and how he is exactly what LSU needed. He thinks they have a damn good shot at Leo and they may still make a late run at the bears' QB commit, primarily because Coach O wants to beat the shit out of everything bear related. Apparently he is talking shit about them as often as possible, which will be great for us. They just landed on of their top targets, Donte Jackson from LA (must be nice to be the only in state school). They aren't recruiting TD Moton, they hear he is a grade risk and didn't have a great senior year. Still a talent, but LSU doesn't have to gamble.

The bears are nervous. They have boom or bust potential. Leo is a coin flip at best. They are nervous as hell about him. They don't think they get CeCe or the Lodge kid from TX, both of whom they have put all of their eggs in their basket for this recruiting season. Apparently they have lost out on the Van Jefferson kid from TN to OU and they may end up with a intramural football team class. I've just never heard a bear seem so negative about the one sport they are undefeated in...recruiting.

As far our class, I think we are just trying to hold onto what we have, and maybe land a big fish like Moton or Orr from TN, and steal Leo on signing day. More and more of our under the radar recruits are starting to get attention - I know PSU is coming after Harrison Moon, and more schools are coming after our AL commits, but I keep hearing we have them all locked up - it just speaks to the great job our staff does of identifying under the radar SEC talent earlier than most schools in the country.

Homedawg
01-21-2015, 12:25 PM
To say Moton is a grade risk is probably an understatement.

maroonmania
01-21-2015, 12:53 PM
So assuming we hold what we've got I guess we are waiting on decisions from Helms, Miggins, and Moton plus this week we have Lamar Jackson in for a visit who I believe is still committed to Louisville. Obviously we are hoping for a flip from Leo Lewis. Any other uncommitted or committed players we still have a realistic shot at or are bringing in for a visit this week? Wasn't there a TN OL committed to Wake Forest that we were still trying to pull? And Orr from TN I guess is still deciding whether he visits us or somebody else this weekend. Others?

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
So assuming we hold what we've got I guess we are waiting on decisions from Helms, Miggins, and Moton plus this week we have Lamar Jackson in for a visit who I believe is still committed to Louisville. Obviously we are hoping for a flip from Leo Lewis. Any other uncommitted or committed players we still have a realistic shot at or are bringing in for a visit this week? Wasn't there a TN OL committed to Wake Forest that we were still trying to pull? And Orr from TN I guess is still deciding whether he visits us or somebody else this weekend. Others?

I haven't heard any names - I think holding on to our guys is important. Look for teams like Louisville, AU, Vandy, and SC to try and make a run at our commits.

I would think Peters will come in for a visit either this week or next week.

Coach34
01-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Everybody is trying to make a run at Peters- Fredo is in full-court press

maroonmania
01-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Everybody is trying to make a run at Peters- Fredo is in full-court press

After watching the MS/AL all-star game I have no doubt in my mind that Peters is the top prospect in the State and the most college ready. I don't really care about any rankings that say different or that might have Lewis or Patterson in front of him.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Im not worried about Peters unless he shows up in Oxford or Red Stick for an official visit. My money is that he never shows in either place, and takes his only visit to MSU on the 30th.

RBritt
01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Peters has bball game on January 30th.

hailmari
01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
After watching the MS/AL all-star game I have no doubt in my mind that Peters is the top prospect in the State and the most college ready. I don't really care about any rankings that say different or that might have Lewis or Patterson in front of him.

My OM boss actually tried to convince me that Jamal ran away from contact in that game and played scared once AL started running the ball.. I guess he missed the part where I said I actually watched the game. They're butthurt that they never had a chance.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Peters has bball game on January 30th.

That works in our favor. If he doesn't take an official visit at all, he signs with MSU without a doubt. Out of all of our commits, I would put Jamal towards the bottom as far as risks to flip.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Great info. Moton is ours unless A&M misses on Daylong Mack & I don't think they will. Orr decides tonight who gets his final visit. Whoever he chooses & Az St are his final 2. He OV Az St last week & loved it so if we get the visit we have to really impress. I know Tiano is helping all he can on that 1 since they're both from Chattanooga. I still like where we sit with Leo. LSU is trying hard but I wouldn't trade our hand for anybody else. Jamal isn't going to OM this weekend or any for that matter. Mama has never had anything for OM & won't. LSU is trying hard to get him in next weekend with Leo but Jamal will either be at MSU next week or home. I don't see him taking any visits this week. Penn St is hard after Moon but he won't visit if Mullen & Hev tell him not to. Only guy who may not end up in the class is McNair but that's our decision.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
My OM boss actually tried to convince me that Jamal ran away from contact in that game and played scared once AL started running the ball.. I guess he missed the part where I said I actually watched the game. They're butthurt that they never had a chance.

Ole Miss boss, and I thought my life sucked*

maroonmania
01-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Also hearing Fletcher Adams likely won't go to OM this weekend which is good for us.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Great info. Moton is ours unless A&M misses on Daylong Mack & I don't think they will. Orr decides tonight who gets his final visit. Whoever he chooses & Az St are his final 2. He OV Az St last week & loved it so if we get the visit we have to really impress. I know Tiano is helping all he can on that 1 since they're both from Chattanooga. I still like where we sit with Leo. LSU is trying hard but I wouldn't trade our hand for anybody else. Jamal isn't going to OM this weekend or any for that matter. Mama has never had anything for OM & won't. LSU is trying hard to get him in next weekend with Leo but Jamal will either be at MSU next week or home. I don't see him taking any visits this week. Penn St is hard after Moon but he won't visit if Mullen & Hev tell him not to. Only guy who may not end up in the class is McNair but that's our decision.

Ive been reluctant to post the same thing about McNair, I've been hearing that for a while. When we commit an out of state kid that claims big boy offers, and he isn't being hounded by the dozens of recruiting sites for interviews about how weak his commitment is, I always worry that he is committed to us, but not vice versa.

maroonmania
01-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Ive been reluctant to post the same thing about McNair, I've been hearing that for a while. When we commit an out of state kid that claims big boy offers, and he isn't being hounded by the dozens of recruiting sites for interviews about how weak his commitment is, I always worry that he is committed to us, but not vice versa.

Well, if that happens I hope we don't take another round of media beatings about how poorly we treated a kid. Apparently everyone else in the SEC can process players and prospects without criticism but we are suppose to be beacons of noble behavior.

Johnson85
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
I still like where we sit with Leo. LSU is trying hard but I wouldn't trade our hand for anybody else.

Anybody's, including UM's? Or anybody's of the teams trying to flip him?

Bothrops
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah I don't know what the actual story is on McNair. I would hate to not get him and watch Leo sign elsewhere too.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Anybody's, including UM's? Or anybody's of the teams trying to flip him?

Any & everybody.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Also hearing Fletcher Adams likely won't go to OM this weekend which is good for us.

Another guy I am not worried about at all.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Any & everybody.

I'll tell you how I feel this Sunday. I still don't know if he goes to OM this weekend. I really don't. If he goes, i would trade places with the bears. If he doesn't, I like our position.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Well, if that happens I hope we don't take another round of media beatings about how poorly we treated a kid. Apparently everyone else in the SEC can process players and prospects without criticism but we are suppose to be beacons of noble behavior.

There is a big difference in pulling an offer and simply not pursuing a kid. We pulled the kid from TX's offer. Im not a fan of that overall, but I think we have to do it to be come an elite program.

Kids aren't that stupid. If they aren't getting an in home visit from the school they are committed to, they know to look around. He was probably encouraged to take a visit. Where things could go south is if come signing day, he hasn't found another landing spot, and we take his scholly and give it to a certain kid from Brookhaven.

Personally I don't care what people say about us in Florida if that happens.

msstate7
01-21-2015, 03:09 PM
I know things can change quickly, but this looks good...

https://twitter.com/jamalpeters21/status/557751589759643650

jumbo
01-21-2015, 03:21 PM
I think we close with Helms (doesn't really count), Moton, Miggins, Joe Anderson (sign and place) and fingers crossed Leo.

That's a pretty good finish with or without Leo. If we could get Orr as well that would be a home run.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Yeah I don't know what the actual story is on McNair. I would hate to not get him and watch Leo sign elsewhere too.

the guy committed to us and remained with us when UF (who he originally wanted) finally came calling ... that's got to be worth something - there's no excuse for pulling his offer if that happened .... just remembering some of Dans words about commitment in the not so distant past

Homedawg
01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
the guy committed to us and remained with us when UF (who he originally wanted) finally came calling ... that's got to be worth something - there's no excuse for pulling his offer if that happened .... just remembering some of Dans words about commitment in the not so distant past

Fla never offered that guy. Called him???

thf24
01-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Fla never offered that guy. Called him???

247 shows an offer and I'm pretty sure there was an article about it when it happened. Granted, neither of those things proves he has an offer, but we're not without reason to believe he did at one point.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 04:49 PM

Here is a way to tell how interested Florida was, you don't see Gators sites across all the networks trying to interview him. They may have offered him at one time, the same way Williams was once offered by AU. There is a reason that we are cooling on him and Florida hasn't been after him.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2015, 05:19 PM
yes Florida offered him but it was about 2 months after he committed to us

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 05:24 PM
I now know why the bears were so worried - their prized WR recruit from Texas, that they thought they had a chance with - Damarkus Lodge, is visiting Texas today with his good buddy Kyler Murray, the number 1 QB in Texas.

I bet Lodge doesn't even visit the bears this weekend. Just hate it for them.

engie
01-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Rumor is that Payne will be in town this weekend as well.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Rumor is that Payne will be in town this weekend as well.

Makes sense, all of our AL commits are in town this weekend.

DownwardDawg
01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Ole Miss boss, and I thought my life sucked*

I'll never have to worry about that.