PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Definitely Underinflated Balls in AFC Championship

TheRef
01-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Well...it looks like the Patriots underinflated the balls by over 2 pounds, or 16%. The fact that the Colts LB that caught the interception, and rarely touches the ball anyway, noticed the underinflation, but the referees that handle footballs regularly did not raises flags. Now this does raise the question, what could the NFL do if it is deemed an egregious enough unfair act that the outcome of the game could be dramatically changed? Well that's where we go to the NFL Rule book. Gentlemen, I give you NFL Rule 17, Section 1, Article 10, Section 2.

Section 2 Extraordinarily Unfair Acts
COMMISSIONER AUTHORITY
Article 1 The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective
measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which he deems so
extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major
effect on the result of the game.
NO CLUB PROTESTS
Article 2 The authority and measures provided for in this entire Section 2 do not constitute a protest machinery for NFL
clubs to avail themselves of in the event a dispute arises over the result of a game. The investigation called for in this
Section 2 will be conducted solely on the Commissioner?s initiative to review an act or occurrence that he deems so
extraordinary or unfair that the result of the game in question would be inequitable to one of the participating teams. The
Commissioner will not apply his authority in cases of complaints by clubs concerning judgmental errors or routine errors of
omission by game officials. Games involving such complaints will continue to stand as completed.
PENALTIES FOR UNFAIR ACTS
Article 3 The Commissioner?s powers under this Section 2 include the imposition of monetary fines and draft-choice
forfeitures, suspension of persons involved in unfair acts, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game?s result or the
rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred. In the event of
rescheduling a game, the Commissioner will be guided by the procedures specified in Rule 17, Section 1, Articles 5
through 11, above. In all cases, the Commissioner will conduct a full investigation, including the opportunity for hearings,
use of game video, and any other procedure he deems appropriate.

Now...pay particular attention to Article 3 "Penalties for Unfair Acts". Let me put it into laymen's terms for you. The Commissioner, if enough evidence is found that there are egregious enough unfair acts, can REVERSE THE OUTCOME of the game in question. That's right, gentlemen. We could have those Colts AFC Champions shirts coming back from Africa and into the hands of Colts players.

Hang on, boys...this is gonna be funnnnnnnn

TheRef
01-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Before you ask, no...both teams do NOT use the same ball. The Patriots brought 12 balls to be played by their players. 11 of the 12 were underdeflated significantly.

Dallas_Dawg
01-21-2015, 12:13 AM
I seriously doubt that is going to happen. The Pats will get a slap on the wrist like usual

Dawg61
01-21-2015, 12:19 AM
Before you ask, no...both teams do NOT use the same ball. The Patriots brought 12 balls to be played by their players. 11 of the 12 were underdeflated significantly.

Won't happen but they'll probably lose every draft pick this year. Which will cripple them more.

CadaverDawg
01-21-2015, 12:20 AM
The game will definitely not be reversed or replayed. My guess is They may lose a draft pick and get a fine, nothing more. I wish the game had been closer so the Colts had an argument

MrKotter
01-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Referee , Walt Anderson, and the ball bitch have some explaining to do.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2015, 06:29 AM
How many times do the have to get caught cheating before they get significantly hammered? You think Belichek loses any sleep over a half mil fine? Suspend the team for a season.

whosyourdawgy
01-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Ok. I agree that under inflated balls would be easier to catch in those conditions but throwing one isn't the same. I wonder if Brady and the bunch practiced w them during game week? Who's idea was it? How did the officials not notice the entire game the balls were squishy and not tight? Complete bullshit. The Pats were gonna beat their ass anyeay. Why cheat

I seen it dawg
01-21-2015, 06:49 AM
I guess the flat footballs helped Legarette Blount and the offensive line treat Indys defense like the little bitches they are up front. They ran the ball up their ass at will. They could have used a snow cone in place of a football the entire game and the outcome wouldn't have been any different.

Typical of people today and the NFL in general...nfl will prob fine the Pats $1 million and one of Brady's kids for using suspect footballs while some asshole that beats the shit out of his wife or kids gets to sit out WITH FULL PAY while the league does nothing but sit on their hands because of "being fair". Domestic abuse, drugs, general moronic societal activity is normal but under inflate a couple of footballs and the franchise gets disembowled.

Maybe Bracky did an internship in the NFL offices we don't know about....

msstate7
01-21-2015, 07:23 AM
I guess the flat footballs helped Legarette Blount and the offensive line treat Indys defense like the little bitches they are up front. They ran the ball up their ass at will. They could have used a snow cone in place of a football the entire game and the outcome wouldn't have been any different.

Typical of people today and the NFL in general...nfl will prob fine the Pats $1 million and one of Brady's kids for using suspect footballs while some asshole that beats the shit out of his wife or kids gets to sit out WITH FULL PAY while the league does nothing but sit on their hands because of "being fair". Domestic abuse, drugs, general moronic societal activity is normal but under inflate a couple of footballs and the franchise gets disembowled.

Doesn't matter that the balls really didn't affect the outcome. The pats' intent is the issue here. If they knowingly cheated, I hope the nfl lowers the boom on them. Take draft picks and suspend BB for a year. Enough is enough...

DownwardDawg
01-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Doesn't matter that the balls really didn't affect the outcome. The pats' intent is the issue here. If they knowingly cheated, I hope the nfl lowers the boom on them. Take draft picks and suspend BB for a year. Enough is enough...

I agree with this. I'm a Tom Brady fan, but I despise BB. They should get hammered for this. The intent to cheat is there and it's become what they are known for.

Smitty
01-21-2015, 07:37 AM
I wish we'd be more like NE.

Looking at you Brackey.
Looking at you "no AAU Strick".

I didn't have the moral superiority feeling losing to ULL and their rolled bats, did you? Let's roll those bitches and launch missiles at the LFL.

Dawgface
01-21-2015, 08:15 AM
As they say.........if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying . No reversing of the results.

Martianlander
01-21-2015, 09:11 AM
The NFL won't have the guts to reverse the game, especially as one sided as it was, but I wish they would have the guts to suspend New England for a year from playing football, period. I don't care for the Seahawks, but I guess I'll pull for them in the Super Bowl.

MaroonMike
01-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I read they corrected the under inflated balls at halftime. The Pats outscored the Colts 28-0 in the second half. Worst case is that the Pats lose a draft pick like they did in 2007.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Think they try to blame their small balls on playing in the cold rain?

cheewgumm
01-21-2015, 09:37 AM
The patriots have mastered the cheating then saying "it wouldn't have mattered anyway" move.

quickstrike2
01-21-2015, 09:56 AM
I haven't read much about it, but did the NFL take any of Indy footballs and compare their pregame and during game weights as well? Or did they just take the Patriots football and crucify them immediately, when it's possible other teams do this as well or maybe even the temperature or other outside factors had something to do with it. BB and the Patriots are definitely rule benders and do everything they can to gain an advantage, but I think folks are out to get them because 1) They have been to 6 bowls in recent memory 2) Most teams haven't been able to beat them so let's find something (this was a 45-7 game, do you think air weights changed 38 points? and 3) Teams didn't think of it first (Against the Ravens, BB used a technique within the rules to gain an advantage.)

BLC
01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
It's not so much the actual act that I have a problem with. As athletes, competitors, fans, all we really want is an even playing field. Let both teams deflate the balls for all I care, but lets play the game mano-a-mano, straight up, even playing field. It didn't make a difference in this game, but it damn well could have the week before ... and you can bet they deflated their footballs against the Ravens too. This falls at the feet of BB. He should be suspended, and I think that's what will happen. If they suspended Payton for a year, they'll suspend BB. Plus a nice hefty fine and a draft pick or two.

Mjoelner34
01-21-2015, 10:57 AM
. The fact that the Colts LB that caught the interception, and rarely touches the ball anyway, noticed the underinflation, but the referees that handle footballs regularly did not raises flags.

Did you really expect the refs, who penalized the Colts for a textbook hit on Brady (facemask to the chest) to say anything about it even if they noticed? They're in the Pat's pockets and have been ever since the tuck rule game. Just watch a Pat's game and you'll see what I'm talking about.

blacklistedbully
01-21-2015, 11:45 AM
I haven't read much about it, but did the NFL take any of Indy footballs and compare their pregame and during game weights as well? Or did they just take the Patriots football and crucify them immediately, when it's possible other teams do this as well or maybe even the temperature or other outside factors had something to do with it. BB and the Patriots are definitely rule benders and do everything they can to gain an advantage, but I think folks are out to get them because 1) They have been to 6 bowls in recent memory 2) Most teams haven't been able to beat them so let's find something (this was a 45-7 game, do you think air weights changed 38 points? and 3) Teams didn't think of it first (Against the Ravens, BB used a technique within the rules to gain an advantage.)

"Rule benders"? Are you for real? They are out & out cheaters. What they have been caught doing is certifiable, undeniable, willful cheating, and they should be punished for it, period!

You, Sir, are an apologist. Rule-bending is doing things like, watering an infield down when you're about to play a fast team. Cheating is when you blatantly and intentionally break a rule. The Pats balls were inspected by the refs prior to kickoff, then returned to them. They WILLFULLY took 2 lbs of air out KNOWING it was significant cheating to do so.

I don't give a damn how big of a target they may have on their backs, cheating is cheating, and it is probably a main reason why many folks don't like the Pats.

As far as I'm concerned, they should get significantly harsher punishment since this is the 2nd time in recent memory that they have been caught cheating. It suggests a culture of cheating that does not belong in the NFL. It cheapens the game, mars the Pats history and gives the NFL a huge black eye if they don't respond appropriately.

Cabo32
01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
I just don't get it..the pats have beaten the hell out of the colts the last few time they've met. Why do they feel the need to cheat?

And no matter how you look at it, the broke the rules..therefore they cheated..

I believe the pats would have won the game regardless..but what is it about bill b that causes him to make these decisions? They've beaten the hell out of teams all year and honestly I don't think using regulation footballs would have changed the outcome. But damn..this is the second time they've been caught cheating..and two different ways. It makes you think...how often and how many different ways have they "bent the rules" in order to get an advantage...

Something I find funny..Monday morning on espn..they were showing clips of all these interviews with Brady, bill, elderman and I think Vince wilfork(which was pretty funny)..well they all laughed it off, like "yeah right..that's some dumb allegations"...now the truth comes out. I hope goodell had the balls to implement some harsh penalties..and for the pats, that would be to take away their draft picks. For a team that loves to stockpile picks, taking them away would hurt them the most...

Question for the board...
What do you think is the reason they continue to bend the rules??

My opinion..concerning the deflated football..I think they've been doing it because of the wrs they have. I think it's easier to catch a football that is somewhat deflated compared to one the fully pumped up..look at 3 of their leading receivers..2 small white guys and a rb..I doubt any of the 3 have very large hands and the pats used deflated balls are easier to catch. Just my theory..hell it could be that bill b is just an egotistical ass that likes to bend the rules in his favor

Cabo32
01-21-2015, 02:29 PM

I agree with you fully that the outcome of the game would have been the same...but the deal is they cheated..they broke NFL rules.

There's a difference between NFL regulations and laws we must follow as a society

The pieces of shit that hit their wives/significant others..that seemed like a team(Ravens) decision to keep paying him. It's looks like the NFL has now stepped up and will take more of a dictatorship role for the players that continue to be assholes

blacklistedbully
01-21-2015, 02:41 PM
And has been already posted, did they cheat in the game versus Baltimore? If they did, it very well could have made the difference.

Does anybody here really think the Pats would cheat versus Indy, but not versus Baltimore?

To me, this trumps the idea that NE somehow deserves to be in the SB "because they would have beat Indy anyway".

Martianlander
01-21-2015, 03:15 PM
And has been already posted, did they cheat in the game versus Baltimore? If they did, it very well could have made the difference.

Does anybody here really think the Pats would cheat versus Indy, but not versus Baltimore?

To me, this trumps the idea that NE somehow deserves to be in the SB "because they would have beat Indy anyway".

Excellent point!

Bama_Dawg
01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
My opinion, they should be banned from this year's draft. No picks, no trades...nothing. All Pats picks for 2015 forfeited no matter how they were acquired.

quickstrike2
01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
I may be wrong, but I do not think that NE is the only ones doctoring footballs. Just on Yahoo today, I have read where Brad Johnson paid $7,500 to get all the footballs for the Super Bowl scuffed up and worn, Rodgers likes the staff to over inflate footballs (technically against the rules), a longtime college manager was interviewed and says fixing footballs to the quarterbacks liking is common practice, and that USC got caught doing this same thing against Oregon. It has been reported that the Colt player that intercepted the pass noticed the difference and informed the coaching staff, so that would mean that for almost an entire half the referees that placed, tossed, caught, and spotted the footballs didn't notice a difference until this. I'm not trying to overly defend the Patriots because they have been caught cheating before, I just don't think they are the one team in the history of football to do this.

Dawg61
01-21-2015, 03:41 PM
ESPN just had two former QBs attempt to tell the difference between a properly inflated ball and one deflated by 2 lbs. and they couldn't tell which is which. This story is getting blown out of proportion.

sleepy dawg
01-21-2015, 04:03 PM
ESPN just had two former QBs attempt to tell the difference between a properly inflated ball and one deflated by 2 lbs. and they couldn't tell which is which. This story is getting blown out of proportion.

Wayyy out of proportion. This site didn't give a shit that the Penn State Football department was running a pedophile prostitution ring of little boys, but God forbid if the Patriots were playing with footballs that were a little deflated. DEATH PENALTY!!***

Y'all remind me of Les Miles after we "stomped" that ass.

Hot Rock
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Just because there is no proof that it actually helped them win this week makes little difference to me.

To me the question remains: Why this week against this opponent? I say it's because he has been doing it all along. This isn't new to this game or even this year. You probably could go back to every cold home game they have won since he has been there and find this happening. Does it really help? He believes it helps or he wouldn't be doing it.

Dude is a cheater and he has been exposed... Twice! He got off easy on Spy-gate, it's time for a suspension, and immediately.

blacklistedbully
01-21-2015, 04:53 PM
I may be wrong, but I do not think that NE is the only ones doctoring footballs. Just on Yahoo today, I have read where Brad Johnson paid $7,500 to get all the footballs for the Super Bowl scuffed up and worn, Rodgers likes the staff to over inflate footballs (technically against the rules), a longtime college manager was interviewed and says fixing footballs to the quarterbacks liking is common practice, and that USC got caught doing this same thing against Oregon. It has been reported that the Colt player that intercepted the pass noticed the difference and informed the coaching staff, so that would mean that for almost an entire half the referees that placed, tossed, caught, and spotted the footballs didn't notice a difference until this. I'm not trying to overly defend the Patriots because they have been caught cheating before, I just don't think they are the one team in the history of football to do this.

Well, hell. let's just not enforce any rules or dole out any punishment in cases where we're pretty damned sure others are doing it too. We could get rid of the NCAA entirely and allow open cheating. So what if Auburn paid Cam $40k to go there instead of playing for us. Other teams pay players, right?***

quickstrike2
01-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Well, hell. let's just not enforce any rules or dole out any punishment in cases where we're pretty damned sure others are doing it too. We could get rid of the NCAA entirely and allow open cheating. So what if Auburn paid Cam $40k to go there instead of playing for us. Other teams pay players, right?***

From what I can tell, Auburn did get away with that, Ole Miss gets away with their stuff, and the NCAA allows open cheating for the most part except in Starkville.

blacklistedbully
01-21-2015, 06:46 PM
From what I can tell, Auburn did get away with that, Ole Miss gets away with their stuff, and the NCAA allows open cheating for the most part except in Starkville.

So do you think it was right for them to get away with it? Do you think they should not have had to pay a penalty for that? Should we just say, what-the-hell, let's just let 'em do it, since others are doing it too?

BTW, they got away with it, in part, because they didn't get definitively caught. The Pats appear to have been caught.

sleepy dawg
01-21-2015, 07:30 PM
So do you think it was right for them to get away with it? Do you think they should not have had to pay a penalty for that? Should we just say, what-the-hell, let's just let 'em do it, since others are doing it too?

BTW, they got away with it, in part, because they didn't get definitively caught. The Pats appear to have been caught.

Have the Patriots definitely been caught though? Based on the information I've heard so far, it appears to be speculation. The balls were deflated some time before half, but after the ref inspected them... but who did it? Did Bill deflate them? Tom? Now, it's pretty obvious that someone in the Patriots organization did it, but there isn't indisputable evidence that I've seen yet (Maybe more specifics will come out soon)... The same can be said for Auburn. It was pretty dang obvious that Cam was paid. But could it be proven?

All that said, if the NFL decides that the Patriots were definitely responsible for the deflated balls and that in doing so they have broken NFL rules, then there should definitely be penalties. The punishment should fit the crime though. What some are suggesting is way over the top for what rule was broken.

In MLB, I think you get 10 games for tampering with the ball, which would be equivalent to about a 1 game suspension in the NFL. Now that is if a player does it and we don't know who did it with the Patriots scenario. This certainly isn't an apples to apples case, as what is good for MLB may not be good/right for the NFL, but it really isn't that freaking serious.

quickstrike2
01-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Since it was first broke, it was reported draft picks and fines, so there will be punishment.