PDA

View Full Version : Lollipop Chicken Legs

SapperDawg
01-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Reading all the threads on the main page about baseball, and watching the twitter pics of the LFL getting set up has got my mind on grilling chicken.

I spent half of 2013 and 2014 in Carlisle, PA while my wife attended an Army school there. I was fortunate enough that I was also working on a large project that would allow me to work remotely, as we didn't have an office there. Spending large parts of the day at home was completely foreign to me, and I found myself searching for things to do to get out the house many days.

I found a local butcher shop, the old school kind, and basically spent a year cooking my way through the meat counter. One of the things I liked to do was buy the cheapest cuts I could and see how I could good I could make them taste.

Generally, I am not a fan of chicken legs. Love dark meat - but the legs are just too difficult to eat with all the tendons running through there. They are the cheapest portion of the chicken that is not an organ, however. I ran across a technique to "lollipop" the chicken legs by cutting around the base and pull out all the tendons with pliers.

I was getting a pound of legs for less than $1 - so this was a steal. I takes a bit of work to get the tendons out, but it is totally worth it. I cooked these up with light smoke, then crisped the skin over the hot part of the fire, and paint with some Sweet Baby Rays at the end. When you bite in you get juicy meat, without any resistance from the tendons. Basically like biting right through a juicy, dark meat breast.

Give this a try one Sunday afternoon, and you will not be disappointed. We will not cook them any other way from now on.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsab9ec567.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsab9ec567.jpg.html)

This warm weather and sunshine is starting to give me the spring fever.

BeastMan
01-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Great idea on how to trim those. I love smoking chicken, legs included. Slightly off topic but a lot of grocery stores are doing thigh filets. Basically taking the thigh off the bone. Probably the best piece of chicken you can grill. Great for jambalaya too.

SapperDawg
01-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Once you cut the base and pull the tendons out, the meat draws up on its own....no "frenching" but a very nice handle.

Barking 13
01-20-2015, 08:49 PM
kinda off topic, but let me give you a sauce to try on your chicken.. (preferably wings)

marinate, spice, and grill the chicken normally. When done, put in a large bowl that has a cover on it. Use 1 part Crystal (important) hot sauce to 2 parts Catalina French Dressing (the red kind) enough to coat the amount of chicken you have. Cover while still hot and shake well... let sit for about 10 minutes. If when you take the cover off, it takes your breath away, they are right.... not too hot, sweet, and vinegary.. let me know how you like it... everybody I make them for loves them, and beg me to cook some more "wangs"

State82
01-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Slightly off topic but a lot of grocery stores are doing thigh filets. Basically taking the thigh off the bone. Probably the best piece of chicken you can grill.

Absolutely my favorite! Boneless thighs are THE deal when it comes to chicken. No telling how many lbs we go through in a season at DNF.

SapperDawg
02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
kinda off topic, but let me give you a sauce to try on your chicken.. (preferably wings)

marinate, spice, and grill the chicken normally. When done, put in a large bowl that has a cover on it. Use 1 part Crystal (important) hot sauce to 2 parts Catalina French Dressing (the red kind) enough to coat the amount of chicken you have. Cover while still hot and shake well... let sit for about 10 minutes. If when you take the cover off, it takes your breath away, they are right.... not too hot, sweet, and vinegary.. let me know how you like it... everybody I make them for loves them, and beg me to cook some more "wangs"

I made your wing sauce today and put it to good use during our snow day. I made one modification, though, and mixed it half and half Crystal to Catalina. It was great, and made a good glaze on the wings. Was not too hot, the testament to this being that my wife ate one and came back for more. Next time, I think I will add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to the mix - I am making my own beer vinegar right now, more on that in another post - and a few dashes of a hotter sauce to kick up the bite a bit. Very good sauce for the family as a whole. This is a welcome addition to my larder for sure.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/Mobile%20Uploads/38E015A0-2735-4C39-84B9-1A412DC81480_zpsnpqpcyxf.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/Mobile%20Uploads/38E015A0-2735-4C39-84B9-1A412DC81480_zpsnpqpcyxf.jpg.html)