PDA

View Full Version : What wood do you use for smoking?

BeastMan
01-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Hickory, mesquite, pecan, cherry, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I've always been mostly a hickory guy but I had some outstanding steaks at Captain Al's in Gulfport this summer and they use pecan wood. Does everyone have a go-to or do they mix it up?

SapperDawg
01-20-2015, 04:35 PM
I am a hickory first, oak second guy. Chunks, not chips.

Let me add this: if you are not using Stubbs hardwood briquettes, do yourself a favor and pick a bag up the next time you are at Lowes. You may not go back to Kingsford.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-20-2015, 06:26 PM
If I can get it I use cherry, if not I use pecan.

Barking 13
01-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Believe it or not, crabapple is the shiznit....
I use a mixture of different woods for different things / times. Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Peach (is good), Apple, Pecan, and of course the crabapple, which is about my favorite. I like to mix the cherry and crabapple the most.
There's a funny story on how I wound up with the crabapple... let's just say it was a good accident....lol

Uncivilengineer
01-21-2015, 07:44 AM
I have 6 pecans trees in my yard. I just walk around picking up limbs and sticks. I also buy apple chunks every now and again.

FlabLoser
01-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Hickory for beef and most pork.

Mesquite for chicken, and sometimes pork chops.

Apple sometimes for chicken, always for fish.

I got hold of some grape vines ones. That made pretty good smoke. I think any fruit wood makes great smoke, especially for white meat.

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I've liked using the Jack Daniels Oak Bourbon Barrel chips for doing a boston butt.

Offshore Dawg
01-25-2015, 12:40 PM
In the 80's it was Colombian !!!!

Westdawg
01-27-2015, 04:16 PM
i am living in the delta now, and have a couple families that have their own large scale pecan farms. they just got done pruning for this coming year's growth, and i am cleared for getting all the pecan wood that i want !!! They also have an abundance of hickory in this area, and several have given me permission to cut however much i want for myself. I am about to make a thread as for the second half of my smoking project.

BeastMan
01-27-2015, 05:24 PM

That's funny

Barking 13
01-27-2015, 11:10 PM

Now it's bubba kush, Durban poison, girl scout cookie, beast 2.0, white widow, etc...