PDA

View Full Version : Texas Commit Flips to Auburn After Visit & Photos Come Out

TheRef
01-20-2015, 10:31 AM
So former Texas commit Tim Irvin, a 4-star safety from Florida, announced that he was flipping his commitment to Auburn. He said that he was "comfortable" on Auburn's campus. Well I think we figured out WHY he was so comfortable on Auburn's campus. Reportedly, he sent out a Snapchat story that shows him holding a fairly large amount of cash with the caption "Money baby" after visiting with Auburn. Something seems sketchy here, fellas.

http://i.imgur.com/E2nEOim.png?1

Leroy Jenkins
01-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Laquan Treadwell approves this message.

msstate7
01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
What would OM say? That's just 4 20s. The rest are 1's. He was buying a plane/train ticket*

Coach34
01-20-2015, 10:56 AM
That is today's recruiting and why we have lost some kids. Money talks

Leroy Jenkins
01-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I mean they do get per diem for their OV trip expenses, right ?

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I mean they do get per diem for their OV trip expenses, right ?

Some more than others. Per Diem can range from a coke out of the machine to a duffel bag in the back seat of a brand new Dodge Charger.

West Houston Dog
01-20-2015, 11:12 AM
have previously heard from a coaching friend of mine the program with the shadiest recruiting he had encountered was AUBURN.....

AlSwearengen
01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I was listening to McReady on the radio yesterday and he was rattling off all of these top players they have visiting and that they feel good about. Then he started talking about 2016. I won't kick the dead horse that is the mystery of why oxford and olemiss' are attractive to a 5* black kid from florida or illinois, but damn. College football has almost evolved into out in the open free agency.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2015, 11:23 AM
NEWS FLASH

THE JOKE IS ON US!

This exact thing is going on in Mississippi right now, and recruits that want to play at MSU are being bought out from underneath us.

The problem is that this has been going on for years, and we have done nothing to counter it.

There is no authority in college football, so the joke is on us for not participating at the same level as other places.

How much do we want to win, and how committed are we?

It's a punch to the gut when you realize how it works, but it is what it is. You either care or you don't.

Johnson85
01-20-2015, 11:30 AM
NEWS FLASH

THE JOKE IS ON US!

This exact thing is going on in Mississippi right now, and recruits that want to play at MSU are being bought out from underneath us.

The problem is that this has been going on for years, and we have done nothing to counter it.

There is nothing to be done to counter it. Everybody in the SEC plays the game their own way. We may not be out there offering backpacks of cash, but nobody in the SEC is filling out their recruiting classes without being competitive in recruiting. I for one am pretty convinced that trying to outbid everyone is not the way to go. Maybe if things evolve that is what we will have to do, but right now it's still a pretty hit or miss approach, and I think our current approach is going to keep us much more steady from year to year.

Irondawg
01-20-2015, 11:31 AM
which is why I think it should evolve into a pay for play situation, but with very strict rules around what happens if you get caught paying more or paying recruits. You can't stop all of it, but once you make an example out of someone it will at least make folks more cautious and discreet.

especially if you could get the P5 behind it.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2015, 11:41 AM
There is nothing to be done to counter it. Everybody in the SEC plays the game their own way. We may not be out there offering backpacks of cash, but nobody in the SEC is filling out their recruiting classes without being competitive in recruiting. I for one am pretty convinced that trying to outbid everyone is not the way to go. Maybe if things evolve that is what we will have to do, but right now it's still a pretty hit or miss approach, and I think our current approach is going to keep us much more steady from year to year.

Outbidding everyone is working for Ole Miss, and no one is trying to stop them.

TheRef
01-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Because they know Ole Miss won't be able to win with the recruits that they're buying...

EAVdog
01-20-2015, 11:44 AM
If they get this early recruiting period going it will benefit us greatly.

No doubt our players get some benefits, at least I hope they do, but we aren't ponying up to flip a commit from Texas/UGA/Oklahoma etc... to us on their OV. People can gripe about Mullen pushing kids to not take their OV's but there are Thousands of reasons not to!

I mean there is no way a Dodge Charger is such a popular choice of vehicle for all these 4 & 5 star players Bama and Auburn sign.

HSVDawg
01-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Exactly. Its the job of the "network" to do what is necessary to make the decision not about money, and let the coaches handle the rest. Maybe for one or two big targets you go all out, but trying to outbid everyone on every player never works out, especially for a school like MSU.

I think the biggest thing is getting everyone on the same page as to who those top couple of prospects are in the eyes of the coaching staff. If you asked everyone on this board who the most critical recruit is for us to land this cycle, most would say Leo Lewis, Peters, Javon Patterson, etc. just based on recruiting rankings. But the coaches may see it differently and may have other opinions on who these "can't miss" prospects are. They may not want that 3-star with high upside from a 1A school to slip off to Ole Miss in favor of the 5-star stud who may have grade issues, character issues, or already maxed out in terms of his development.

EAVdog
01-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Because they know Ole Miss won't be able to win with the recruits that they're buying...

I have a hunch Ole Miss is going to lose some big fish this year. Other programs are not going to be outdone this time around.

thf24
01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
What I wonder is what will happen when more recruits start to realize they can take big money from a school and then not go there without said school being able to do shit about it.

Irondawg
01-20-2015, 12:13 PM
What I wonder is what will happen when more recruits start to realize they can take big money from a school and then not go there without said school being able to do shit about it.

That's what I would do - I'd visit everywhere and then just go where i wanted with lots of spending cash

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2015, 12:24 PM

The problem is that many of the benefits, like jobs, are contingent on the player signing. I doubt most schools are just filling out cash before a recruit signs.

thf24
01-20-2015, 12:29 PM
The problem is that many of the benefits, like jobs, are contingent on the player signing. I doubt most schools are just filling out cash before a recruit signs.

True. I suppose I'm mainly talking about situations like what this appears to be and the various OM incidents where recruits are revealed to have large amounts of cash/benefits in hand prior to signing day.

cheewgumm
01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Ole Miss learned what we should have learned....the NCAA is dead.

Nothing will happen with this. The $ is too big. Nobody cares. Adapt.

defiantdog
01-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Ole Miss learned what we should have learned....the NCAA is dead.

Nothing will happen with this. The $ is too big. Nobody cares. Adapt.

Exactly..... except, I'm surprised Auburn gave the money to the kid. They should just be like Alabama and have a booster take the family out to a country club for lunch then hand them an envelope full of money.

M.Fillmore
01-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Lemme get this straight. Paidwell gets to flash cash on social media, Auburn guy gets to flash cash on social media....no problem!

But if Doug20Buckles, a Bear player claims an MSU player bought him a pizza, the NCAA boom gets lowered on MSU.

Bracky is the equivalent of bringing a squirt gun to a automatic rifle fight.

defiantdog
01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Lemme get this straight. Paidwell gets to flash cash on social media, Auburn guy gets to flash cash on social media....no problem!

But if Doug20Buckles, a Bear player claims an MSU player bought him a pizza, the NCAA boom gets lowered on MSU.

You'd think Bracky would turn his head to some things. I mean hell, the guy got his undergrad and masters from State..... you'd think he'd show some compassion.

Dallas_Dawg
01-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Well no matter what we do, if we had a player tweet out cash, our bear friends would figure out a way to pin it on us.
If anybody does try and join the game from our school, they better be extremely careful and dot every I and cross every T.
I don't recommend that just anybody try and join the game. It takes a special network to go under the radar

Maroonthirteen
01-20-2015, 01:09 PM
We don't need any part of getting in the mud with auburn and Old Mrs. Did y'all not learn from dealing with Newton and Devinner?

Let me remind yall, Newton was bought by auburn and the public perception was that we tried to buy him.

Devinner placed numerous kids at OM. One I know received a nice dodge charger. We sign a Devinner player.... Msu and the player gets bent over by the NCAA.

Its obvious to me that we don't have the political clout, connections....whatever to play the game and get away with it. So no thanks. Stay out of it.

blacklistedbully
01-20-2015, 01:26 PM
which is why I think it should evolve into a pay for play situation, but with very strict rules around what happens if you get caught paying more or paying recruits. You can't stop all of it, but once you make an example out of someone it will at least make folks more cautious and discreet.

especially if you could get the P5 behind it.

SMU got the death penalty. Didn't stop the free-spending then. I suggest there will always be cheating. All you are talking bout, IMO is moving the bar a little higher. There would be the "base pay" and still the "extra benefits" that the bigger cheaters use today. There has been the threat of the "big hammer" for a long time.

We can debate whether stringent & consistent enforcement by ethical investigators would change things, but I don't see how guaranteeing a set pay, and threatening severe penalties would have any impact whatsoever on the amount of cheating.

I think the only way it possibly makes a difference is if a kid really wants to go to "school A", but is so destitute that he feels obligated to support his family immediately, but is also willing to walk away from more money while in that situation.

RougeDawg
01-20-2015, 02:10 PM
We don't need any part of getting in the mud with auburn and Old Mrs. Did y'all not learn from dealing with Newton and Devinner?

Let me remind yall, Newton was bought by auburn and the public perception was that we tried to buy him.

Devinner placed numerous kids at OM. One I know received a nice dodge charger. We sign a Devinner player.... Msu and the player gets bent over by the NCAA.

Its obvious to me that we don't have the political clout, connections....whatever to play the game and get away with it. So no thanks. Stay out of it.

This. Until we rid our university of the spineless sackless individuals, we should not "Up our Game". Shot we got hammered for something that division 3 programs get away with. I have absolutely zero confidence that we could join the game, with Bracky anywhere near our program. And as long as Scott is around, we won't be joining the game either.

sandwolf
01-20-2015, 02:19 PM

This may have been the case with Nutt and Orgeron, but it doesn't appear to be the case with Freeze. They won 9 games and played in one of the top 6 bowl games this year and they lose very few starters. And that is with just 2 full signing classes under Freeze (he only had 2 months to put together his first signing class). Based on what Freeze has done in his first three years in Oxford, it sure looks like he has the ability to turn talent into actual wins on the field.

AlSwearengen
01-20-2015, 02:32 PM
This may have been the case with Nutt and Orgeron, but it doesn't appear to be the case with Freeze. They won 9 games and played in one of the top 6 bowl games this year and they lose very few starters. And that is with just 2 full signing classes under Freeze (he only had 2 months to put together his first signing class). Based on what Freeze has done in his first three years in Oxford, it sure looks like he has the ability to turn talent into actual wins on the field.

Freeze has been able to keep control of the asylum so far. He has shown an ability to keep them together when things could have really gone south for them, so he gets credit for that.

maroonmania
01-20-2015, 02:41 PM

The NCAA of today is only a shell of what it was in the days of Doug Buckles.

maroonmania
01-20-2015, 02:44 PM

We bent ourselves over. Its obvious that the NCAA is pretty toothless unless YOU hand them the direct evidence to incriminate yourself and Bracky is very good at doing that for us. Bracky still operates like its 25 years ago. Answer me this, how many other schools besides us in the Big 5 do you see getting in any real trouble for actual recruiting violations? Lately, the only thing the NCAA has gotten after some folks for are extra benefits for current players but NCAA investigations for recruiting violations is pretty much a thing of the past.

engie
01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
These threads are ridiculous.

Yes, we need to overhaul compliance. I've beaten that drum as hard as anyone over the past couple of years. But it's hypocritical to sit back and talk about other schools buying players -- while we've got our best modern recruiting class and one that probably has as many power 5 offers as the last 5 Mullen classes combined, pretending that we're playing a different game than everyone else.

We're playing the same game -- we just aren't as good at it yet.

Political Hack
01-20-2015, 02:56 PM

that's when the inmates begin to run the asylum. It's not worth the potential consequences.

Recruiting is what it is, but big dollar contracts and pay outs can be incredibly counter productive if the goal is to build a winning program.

maroonmania
01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
These threads are ridiculous.

Yes, we need to overhaul compliance. I've beaten that drum as hard as anyone over the past couple of years. But it's hypocritical to sit back and talk about other schools buying players -- while we've got our best modern recruiting class and one that probably has as many power 5 offers as the last 5 Mullen classes combined, pretending that we're playing a different game than everyone else.

We're playing the same game -- we just aren't as good at it yet.

Who in this thread has said we aren't in the game? We seem to do minimally what we have to do in football to keep halfway competitive and we've pretty much killed our basketball program by trying to take "our game" down a notch or two. We play but we certainly are not "all in" like the OMs and Auburns are.

cheewgumm
01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
I just think its hilarious when thy talk about
Guys being a "great recruiter".... Come on.

DudyDawg
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Who in this thread has said we aren't in the game? We seem to do minimally what we have to do in football to keep halfway competitive and we've pretty much killed our basketball program by trying to take "our game" down a notch or two. We play but we certainly are not "all in" like the OMs and Auburns are.

Our basketball suckage has nothing to do with trying to recruit more honorably

maroonmania
01-20-2015, 03:42 PM

If the recruiting suckage that Ray has done over his first couple of classes has nothing to do with trying to recruit more honorably then I'm more pissed than ever about our current basketball product. Pretty much ALL the players Ray has brought in himself that are currently playing could have been obtained through honorable means.

Dawg61
01-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Sorry but he's partially correct. Hell 1/4th our damn roster is from the same high school.

DudyDawg
01-20-2015, 04:00 PM
If the recruiting suckage that Ray has done over his first couple of classes has nothing to do with trying to recruit more honorably then I'm more pissed than ever about our current basketball product. Pretty much ALL the players Ray has brought in himself that are currently playing could have been obtained through honorable means.

I'm saying it is caused by the collapse of the program, not us trying to follow recruiting "rules". I'm all for renaming the Hump the Newman center tomorrow if it would get him. The problem isn't cheating on the recruiting trail. It was within

maroonmania
01-20-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm saying it is caused by the collapse of the program, not us trying to follow recruiting "rules". I'm all for renaming the Hump the Newman center tomorrow if it would get him. The problem isn't cheating on the recruiting trail. It was within

We weren't collapsed as a program when Ray first got here. Heck, six weeks before Stans was let go we were ranked in the Top 20 and even with the bad finish we barely missed the NCAAs and landed in the NIT as a high enough seed to get a home game. So yes, before Stans left we had some internal issues, but we were FAR from a collapsed program that would deter all recruits. I ASSUMED we were recruiting so poorly because of the combination of Ray not having any recruiting ties in the area and trying to do things the "right way" as Strickland probably wanted him to in the name of "cleaning up the program". The collapse was self-inflicted by not recruiting and developing, not the other way around. I'm not sure that Ware, Thomas and Sword weren't every bit as good on the basketball court the day they started freshman classes at MSU as they are today. They really haven't developed under this staff and we've failed to put much around them. I will add that RJohnson has improved but he is a Stans guy as well.

Maroons
01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

OM pays guys big money just to visit. Then they unleash the females.

MadDawg
01-20-2015, 05:56 PM

Sadly, this is spot on.

Dawg61
01-20-2015, 06:35 PM
We weren't collapsed as a program when Ray first got here. Heck, six weeks before Stans was let go we were ranked in the Top 20 and even with the bad finish we barely missed the NCAAs and landed in the NIT as a high enough seed to get a home game. So yes, before Stans left we had some internal issues, but we were FAR from a collapsed program that would deter all recruits. I ASSUMED we were recruiting so poorly because of the combination of Ray not have any recruiting ties in the area and trying to do things the "right way" as Strickland probably wanted him to in the name of "cleaning up the program". The collapse was self-inflicted by not recruiting and developing, not the other way around. I'm not sure that Ware, Thomas and Sword weren't every bit as good on the basketball court the day they started freshman classes at MSU as they are today. They really haven't developed under this staff and we've failed to put much around them. I will add that RJohnson has improved but he is a Stans guy as well.

Excellent post

TUSK
01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
I've seen this movie so many times before...

AU is turning up the heat, my friends... (again)....

ScottH
01-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I imagine UM is a complete amateur when compared to Auburn.

We are just inept and/or sackless I would assume.

yjnkdawg
01-20-2015, 07:49 PM

Then they can play the Steve Miller Band song, "Take the Money and Run."

yjnkdawg
01-20-2015, 08:05 PM

Ole Miss has been playing the game since the Johnny Vaught era

Coach34
01-20-2015, 08:16 PM
That's the thing- this has been going on since the 40's and 50's. Scholly limits just upped the ante on top guys

yjnkdawg
01-20-2015, 08:22 PM
You'd think Bracky would turn his head to some things. I mean hell, the guy got his undergrad and masters from State..... you'd think he'd show some compassion.

I agree, but I imagine he is just doing what he is told to do.

mic
01-20-2015, 08:25 PM
A current South Carolina coach , not the OBC, said the worse 2 schools in the SEC are AU and OM in that order...

MabenMaroon
01-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Well, Bear Bryant was openly said " It ain't cheating, if you don't get caught "

yjnkdawg
01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
I imagine UM is a complete amateur when compared to Auburn.

We are just inept and/or sackless I would assume.

Too many years at doing it for Ole Miss, with their lawyer based recruiting machine, to be an amateur. I would say Auburn is the most sleazy, but OM is not far behind.

TUSK
01-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Well, Bear Bryant was openly said " It ain't cheating, if you don't get caught "

not to be picky, but I think the quote was "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'".

somebody in NASCAR ripped it off....

AlSwearengen
01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
A current South Carolina coach , not the OBC, said the worse 2 schools in the SEC are AU and OM in that order...

Mississippi was recently named the most corrupt state in the union. How many olemiss judges and lawyers have been busted in the last few years led by ol Dickie? Shady and entitled is a scary combination. It is a wonder State has a football program with those snakes running the state.

TUSK
01-20-2015, 09:53 PM
speaking of Auburn...

dig on this: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/auburn_targets_cece_jefferson.html#incart_most-read_news_article

AlSwearengen
01-20-2015, 11:47 PM
speaking of Auburn...

dig on this: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/auburn_targets_cece_jefferson.html#incart_most-read_news_article

MCready mentioned Jefferson yesterday as being one of the big timers that olemiss feels good about. I always say that there is so much bullshit surrounding olemiss that you can't figure out what is really going on with them. Logic says they don't get Jefferson, but the same could be said about tunsil and many others.