PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams get Seattle to the Super Bowl

1bigdawg
01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Seattle is in the Super Bowl only because of excellent special teams play: A fake punt for a touchdown, a successful onside kick and a successful two point conversion.

Without any of the three plays, Green Bay would be playing in the Super Bowl.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but when are we going to get our act together on Special Teams? Counting Mullen, we have 6 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches.

DownwardDawg
01-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Seattle is in the Super Bowl only because of excellent special teams play: A fake punt for a touchdown, a successful onside kick and a successful two point conversion.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but when are we going to get our act together on Special Teams? Counting Mullen, we have 6 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches.

Not sure it'll ever happen under Mullen. He won't turn them over to a ST coach.

Todd4State
01-19-2015, 07:18 PM
A lot of the problem is Dan doesn't even acknowledge that there's a problem.

1bigdawg
01-19-2015, 07:20 PM
A lot of the problem is Dan doesn't even acknowledge that there's a problem.

Yet, he acknowledges that field position was a problem for us in the games we lost. It should not be that hard to make a connection.

Todd4State
01-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Yet, he acknowledges that field position was a problem for us in the games we lost. It should not be that hard to make a connection.

You would think. I wonder if he blamed Collins bend and break defense for the field position issue- and quite frankly he would have a point.

smootness
01-19-2015, 07:41 PM

This is both right and wrong. Obviously the onside kick was massive. As was the fake FG TD. But their ST were not great all day. They also fumbled on a KO that led to a FG, and it wasn't a TD only because their D is ridiculous. And they also gave up a big punt return that led to a TD. So that's perhaps 10 points they cost them as well.

And I don't really consider onside kicks and fakes a big part of ST play. They're so rare and flukish that you can't really evaluate based on that. And the 2-point conversion was their offense, not ST.

I agree with your overall point about our ST, but this isn't really a great example. The more controllable, primary parts of ST they struggled with. They made the right call to determine GB wouldn't cover the fake, and they got a lucky bounce on the onside kick.

engie
01-19-2015, 08:52 PM
It's a good thing we let John Baxter rot out in LA teaching a class for 2 years until Harbaugh just scooped him up at Michigan**