PDA

View Full Version : Alec Murphy

CadaverDawg
01-19-2015, 05:23 PM
What do you guys think about Murphy?

My friend just sent me his recent interview with Rosebowl, and I must say, the guy is extremely likeable. He talked about how Dan came for his in home visit, and how he and his family were somewhat awestruck by Dan being there. He talked about how he truly feels like a part of a family every time he comes down to Starkville. He said he has always wanted to go to a college that would work him hard, and he knows that he will get that at MSU.

You don't hear that last sentence from very many 18 year olds. This guy seems to have his priorities in order, and plans on coming in and working his tail off to make an impact. Basically he just seems like a really good kid, and a really hard worker, so I'm glad to have him and I'm rooting for him to succeed.

So tell me, what kind of back is he, and do you think he has the upside to be special before he leaves us?

msstate7
01-19-2015, 05:40 PM
I've been wondering how we even got hooked up with this kid.

6'1" 220 lbs... Could Dan be thinking fb? I'd love this to be the case

Dallas_Dawg
01-19-2015, 05:41 PM
I think he may have family from Mississippi or may have even lived her before.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2015, 05:43 PM
He's from MS & his mom has already moved to Starkville. There was speculation he would transfer to Starkville HS for his Sr. year but decided to graduate with his classmates in Missouri.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2015, 05:44 PM
I just watched his Hudl film, and he kinda reminds me of a young JJ Johnson in stature. Big thighs and good vision. He definitely isn't a burner, but he runs very balanced it seems, and he knows how to use leverage to stay on his feet to stretch good runs into long touchdown runs. At 6'1 215, he has the frame to pack a punch once he builds up some muscle.

Bothrops
01-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Murphy is way too fast to be a fb.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Murphy is way too fast to be a fb.

4.62 in the 40. Not saying he is going to be a FB, because I don't think that is the plan....but he definitely isn't "too fast" for FB.

BeastMan
01-19-2015, 06:03 PM
His measurables are just silly. (Per rivals profile): 6'1, 220, 4.48 40, 310 bench, 435 squat, 35 inch vertical. Dude is an athlete

CadaverDawg
01-19-2015, 06:11 PM
His measurables are just silly. (Per rivals profile): 6'1, 220, 4.48 40, 310 bench, 435 squat, 35 inch vertical. Dude is an athlete

4.48 sounds a lot better than the 4.62 I read somewhere. He looked faster on film than 4.62, so I'm glad to know he is. He takes longer strides, so he moves faster than it looks. Not many guys enter college with that type of size.

BeastMan
01-19-2015, 06:13 PM
4.48 sounds a lot better than the 4.62 I read somewhere. He looked faster on film than 4.62, so I'm glad to know he is. He takes longer strides, so he moves faster than it looks. Not many guys enter college with that type of size.

Straight line speed, or a 40, isnt alone enough of an indicator to show athleticism imo. 310 bench, 435 squat, and a 35 inch vertical with a good 40 is.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Just looked at Murphy's list of schools and it is quite impressive. Winning sure does change recruiting dynamics, there is not one directional school or CUSA school on that list. We are moving on up guys.

Aces High
01-19-2015, 11:44 PM
He's from MS & his mom has already moved to Starkville. There was speculation he would transfer to Starkville HS for his Sr. year but decided to graduate with his classmates in Missouri.

This

Bothrops
01-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Like this kid a lot. Watching his video makes me wonder why is isn't ranked a good bit higher. Big, and runs very very well with good vision it seems. I don't know what's left to be desired. Maybe his stats didn't garner much attention. Could be a real diamond if stays healthy.

mparkerfd20
01-20-2015, 09:38 AM
I watched Justin 'Cokie' Griffith play a lot in high school being from the same high school. Alec actually reminds me a little of him. His measurables are similar. While we converted him to a FB, Cokie was a HB in high school as well (and a damn good one). If Alec turns out to be half the player that Cokie was for State I'd be ecstatic whether it be at HB or FB.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Justin 'Cokie' Griffith
One of my most favorite players ever...I've never seen a player hit so hard he cracked helmets.

chef dixon
01-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Christ what is our obsession with trying to immediately change everyone's position?

Definitely see this kid at kicker.

BeastMan
01-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Christ what is our obsession with trying to immediately change everyone's position?

Haha. That's funny

Alldawg
01-20-2015, 05:19 PM

I thought Dak was moving to kicker. Keep up with it

msstate7
01-20-2015, 05:20 PM
I thought Dak was moving to kicker. Keep up with it

Can we for the love of God get someone else besides our best player holding kicks?

sandwolf
01-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Can we for the love of God get someone else besides our best player holding kicks?

Why do you have a problem with Dak holding kicks? I know that if we were to run a fake, Dak is the guy that I want the ball being snapped to.......but even if the fake is removed from the equation, I just don't really see why it is a problem.

smootness
01-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Well, we do it quite a bit, though most of the time we have a good idea of what the kid will be as we're recruiting them.

Personally, I think if he does switch positions, it will be to LB, not FB. There are a lot of RBs in this class, so it makes sense some won't play there. Gibson is a RB, but Murphy could play defense, and Mixon or Dear will probably play more in the slot.

Really Clark?
01-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Didn't we try that but the kickers really liked Dak holding the ball? You have to defer to them and what gives them confidence.

msstate7
01-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Why do you have a problem with Dak holding kicks? I know that if we were to run a fake, Dak is the guy that I want the ball being snapped to.......but even if the fake is removed from the equation, I just don't really see why it is a problem.

I really have no basis for this concern, but I just dont wanna see someone get a cheap shot on him bc of a bad snap.