PDA

View Full Version : We're unranked & OM is 18 in D1 baseball rankings?

CadaverDawg
01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Sorry if it's been discussed, but what's up with that?

dickiedawg
01-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Hahaha. That's absurd.

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 10:23 AM
You guys do realize that finished 3rd last year, right?

dickiedawg
01-19-2015, 10:27 AM
For the record, I'm not saying it's absurd that Ole Miss is ranked 18. I have no idea what they lost or return, whatever. But not having us ranked is absurd.

msstate7
01-19-2015, 10:32 AM

Who all did they lose? I'm blank... Anderson, the cf'er, orvis?, Friday night starter... Can't remember their team right now... Oh and the catcher

Jacksondevildog
01-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Ole Miss will be solid. They lost some hitters, but they return some good ones too. They return two solid SEC starters on the mound. Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt are always high on Ole Miss. We will be better offensively this year and will be as good defensively as we have been in a while. We have some guys that have to step up on the hill, especially in the back end of the bullpen. If we get those questions answered, we will be a bubble hosting team.

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Who all did they lose? I'm blank... Anderson, the cf'er, orvis?, Friday night starter... Can't remember their team right now... Oh and the catcher

I know Sucks Orifice is back this year. Not sure who else.

MsStateBaseball
01-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Actually, OM will not be good. Lost way too much. Very inexperienced at some spots. I see them having to fight to make SEC tournament. The writers will eventually see how good we are.

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Actually, OM will not be good. Lost way too much. Very inexperienced at some spots. I see them having to fight to make SEC tournament. The writers will eventually see how good we are.

Regardless of what they actually will be, the fact that they finished 3rd last year is enough to put them in the top 25 for the next season. Is it right? Probably not... but you guys know how the media works.

ScottH
01-19-2015, 11:00 AM
The most critical loss for the Bears was Cliff Godwin to East Carolina.

Tbonewannabe
01-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Ole Miss will be solid. They lost some hitters, but they return some good ones too. They return two solid SEC starters on the mound. Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt are always high on Ole Miss. We will be better offensively this year and will be as good defensively as we have been in a while. We have some guys that have to step up on the hill, especially in the back end of the bullpen. If we get those questions answered, we will be a bubble hosting team.

We have been one of if not the best defensive team in the SEC so if we get better probably best in the country.

Jacksondevildog
01-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Agreed. With most of the innings coming from Collins behind the plate, we will be able to defend and control the running game more effectively than last year. Also, our infield defense should be outstanding with Heck, Holland, Britton, and Rea across the diamond.

Johnson85
01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Regardless of what they actually will be, the fact that they finished 3rd last year is enough to put them in the top 25 for the next season. Is it right? Probably not... but you guys know how the media works.

But going by that logic, isn't our team to the point now where we should be penciled into at least the bottom of the top twenty five every preseason and kept there until we prove we don't belong?

ETA: Not that I think Ole miss shouldn't be there. I don't know enough to have an opinion. It's just that knowing how these polls are done for football, it seems like we should be included by default in baseball, just like big names are in football.

Tbonewannabe
01-19-2015, 11:19 AM
You have to look at we are moving probably the best defensive ss in the SEC to 2nd. We might have the 2 best defensive ss in the SEC.

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 11:19 AM
But going by that logic, isn't our team to the point now where we should be penciled into at least the bottom of the top twenty five every preseason and kept there until we prove we don't belong?

ETA: Not that I think Ole miss shouldn't be there. I don't know enough to have an opinion. It's just that knowing how these polls are done for football, it seems like we should be included by default in baseball, just like big names are in football.

You and I know we should. Be went to Lafayette and got beat last year. Ole Miss did not.

What was our preseason ranking the year after we finished 2nd? This is the comparison you should be making.

maroonmania
01-19-2015, 12:09 PM
I can understand some skepticism about our baseball team this year. Outside of Ross Mitchell we have very little on the mound that's proven. And we have never been a great offensive team under Cohen so its hard to bank on that although our offense definitely should be improved. Given those factors, I am a little cautious myself on where we will stack up in the SEC. Hopefully, with the way Cohen is now recruiting, this is the last year of uncertainty with our baseball team.

sleepy dawg
01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with the site so far. Sure, it's prettier, and will have the best content out there, but it is clear they are trying to completely monopolize the competition. There are no links to any other polls and there won't be. In the past, d1baseball.com was completely unbiased. It was about getting you the most information possible. Now it's just about getting you their information while trying to suffocate the competition.

dawgclub99
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM
They will be solid on Friday night with Trent, but after that no one knows. I like being undervalued honestly. We will surprise.

DudyDawg
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM
I see us overachieving this year honestly. I like that we aren't ranked, too. We handle no attention and being the surprise team better than all the attention. I think if we sure up the rotation a bit by getting 1 or 2 of the underclassmen to be consistent, we will be as good as we want to be.

engie
01-19-2015, 12:15 PM
PC first rankings to avoid putting the 10 SEC teams there that deserve to be there...

mparkerfd20
01-19-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with the site so far. Sure, it's prettier, and will have the best content out there, but it is clear they are trying to completely monopolize the competition. There are no links to any other polls and there won't be. In the past, d1baseball.com was completely unbiased. It was about getting you the most information possible. Now it's just about getting you their information while trying to suffocate the competition.

I agree. Just like everything else, they saw an opportunity to make money and in so doing, ruined the whole attraction of the site to begin with. I say someone should recreate the 'old' d1baseball.com site.

Johnson85
01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
You and I know we should. Be went to Lafayette and got beat last year. Ole Miss did not.

What was our preseason ranking the year after we finished 2nd? This is the comparison you should be making.

Didn't mean to compare how we're being treated with Ole Miss, just meant that as it looks like pre-season baseball polls are lazily slopped together like football, why are we not included in the top 25 by default? Seems like we would get the "big name (for the sport), I'm going to put them in the top 25 b/c I assume they have recruited welle nough to stay there, and I won't catch too much flak for assuming their good, even if a little research would show they have major problems" treatment.

Smitty
01-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Unlike football, the preseason rankings don't mean shit. I'm never ever worried about them. Everything is determined on the field.

Pollodawg
01-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Pre-season rankings for baseball are more absurd than they are for any other sport. Loooooooong season when it comes to baseball. Too many variables.

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 12:48 PM
why are we not included in the top 25 by default?

Wouldn't this be the lazy way of doing things?

Listen, I'm not saying that the preseason poll is an accurate indicator of how these teams are going to finish. I'm only saying that I know the media isn't going to spend too much time researching this topic before putting out their ballots. But one of the few things they will look at, is where everyone finished last season.

Smitty
01-19-2015, 12:56 PM
No UL-Lafayette ranked either.

messageboardsuperhero
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't have a problem with UM being 18. They should be in the top 20 or 25.

I do find it very strange that they have us outside of the top 25 and behind so many other SEC teams. Right now, they have us as the 9th or 10th best team in the conference and 6th or 7th best in the division... That is just crazy. No way we finish that low. I'd be shocked.

MsStateBaseball
01-19-2015, 02:05 PM
They will all see this year how much talent we have. Several guys will be high draft picks. But until they get going...

We keep 98 percent of the 2015 class we will be ranked by everyone in 2016 as top 10.

Each year our talent gets better. Almost to the point that every player has the talent for pro ball.

Jacksondevildog
01-19-2015, 02:42 PM
True. But almost every SEC team can say that.
They will all see this year how much talent we have. Several guys will be high draft picks. But until they get going...

We keep 98 percent of the 2015 class we will be ranked by everyone in 2016 as top 10.

Each year our talent gets better. Almost to the point that every player has the talent for pro ball.

Dallas_Dawg
01-19-2015, 03:32 PM

We finished 11th in football, yet are unranked preseason 2015.
TSUN simply has an in with the media types whether it be graduates of their journalism school or their national name recognition. They get all the pub and we have to prove ourselves.
Same story, different year.

msstate7
01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
I have no problem with us being unranked to start the season. We were bad offensively last season. Our starting rotation is a huge question mark at this point to me.

I do think we will be a very good team this year, but we shouldn't be top 25 to start imo

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
We finished 11th in football, yet are unranked preseason 2015.
TSUN simply has an in with the media types whether it be graduates of their journalism school or their national name recognition. They get all the pub and we have to prove ourselves.
Same story, different year.

You're furthering my point with this. My claim is that the media takes the easy way out for pre-season rankings. So what they did ws say "MSU loses all those starters? No way they'll be top 25 next year... And Ole Miss only loses 3 starters on D? They'll be great again. Top 15 probably".

Is this stuff really that hard to see?

TDawg52
01-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Haven't you heard, in their minds and the media's, they are a "traditional power".........:rolleyes:

Todd4State
01-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Good. Our team needs to be hungry. Like I said with us, it all comes down to one of the young pitchers stepping up.

Ole Miss will be Ok- but like someone said they have lost Godwin. And that is going to hurt them long term.

State82
01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Then there is UCLA. Win the CWS in 2013 and finish 25-30 in 2014. Now they are preseason #4. Go figure.

IMissJack
01-19-2015, 07:06 PM
I see us overachieving this year honestly. I like that we aren't ranked, too. We handle no attention and being the surprise team better than all the attention. I think if we sure up the rotation a bit by getting 1 or 2 of the underclassmen to be consistent, we will be as good as we want to be.

I liked better when we were perennially ranked in the top 15 preseason myself.

cristilmethod
01-19-2015, 10:29 PM

They aren't linking to anyone else because all the reputable writers work for d1 now. Seriously, they put together a powerhouse team, so there's really no need to read elsewhere this year in my opinion.

As for the preseason ranking or lack thereof, a high preseason ranking didn't do us much good last year. Matters more where we finish, not where we start.