PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone else seen this yet?

Political Hack
01-19-2015, 09:23 AM
https://www.fanpay.org

It's a GIANT middle finger to the NCAA. I wonder how they're going to deal with this.

missouridawg
01-19-2015, 09:43 AM

It's a GIANT middle finger to the NCAA. I wonder how they're going to deal with this.

Wow. That's pretty ballsy.

State82
01-19-2015, 09:55 AM
This could get interesting.

sleepy dawg
01-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Someone is giving Mariota $10 if he stays...

Westdawg
01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
well, boys, this may be part of the tipping point that brings down the whole dang NCAA, and i am serious. The NCAA has no actual ability to stop this, especially if they cannot prove the money has been given to the athlete during their time on scholarship. this is going to get interesting. I can see this not becoming "big" until ppl start receiving donations that total over the $1K mark. but that will come VERY FAST. welcome to the beginning of the end of college football.

Political Hack
01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
I've got about 1 more year of "give a damn" in me regardless... then, I'll start following high school football.

EngineerDawg
01-19-2015, 02:55 PM
I have been wondering about something like this... IMO, this is no different than a player receiving money for his/her likeness. BUT, not actually obtaining the money until post-college.

blacklistedbully
01-19-2015, 03:17 PM
My first reaction is that whoever is behind this is hoping to make good bank on the interest. Good time to capitalize on fan frustration with the NCAA, etc.

"Sure, we'll offer to refund your money if the athlete doesn't graduate, and/or give the amount pledged to the graduates. In the meantime, thank you for the opportunity to earn and keep interest for however many years we hold your money!"

Also, if you carefully read the TOS, they only have to "offer a gift", not money. They say they will return the money pledged, "if the gift is rejected". That says nothing about if the athlete simply doesn't respond. So, they could send out a letter, could even be something they figure will be ignored, like those infamous, "free cruises" we all get hounded with and dismiss out-of-hand. If the athlete doesn't respond at all, FanPay gets to keep the money in the escrow account indefinitely, as far as I can tell.

Seriously, if you look at the terms & conditions, there are many holes in there that allow the owners of that site to profiteer, even keep the money. I'm all for capitalism, but don't like being manipulated. This thing smacks of someone trying to make easy money using OPM, while selling it as something else.

I suspect this is much more about manipulating contributors than it is about sending a message to the NCAA or providing for athletes.

Political Hack
01-19-2015, 04:55 PM
I don't doubt that BLB, but it's still an issue that they'll need to face. Also, if this site is doing it, someone else will too... and they'll do it legitimately.

IMissJack
01-19-2015, 07:10 PM

Well get ready for Harvard and Yale to be back at the top...

archdog
01-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Starting my fanpay site tomorrow.