yjnkdawg
01-18-2015, 12:01 AM
https://twitter.com/CoryHelms7251/status/556279794653204480/photo/1

msstate7
01-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Id love to land this kid

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 12:12 AM
I'd love to find a way to get him eligible for the upcoming season.

yjnkdawg
01-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Sounds like he is really enjoying his visit. And +1 on the above posts.

Dawg61
01-18-2015, 03:13 AM
Somebody please get Dan a new jacket

Leroy Jenkins
01-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Helms told the Scout guy that there was "no way his visit could have gone any better". Also told Rivals guy that the visit was going to be "tough to beat". So whatever that means.

MetEdDawg
01-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Is he planning on visiting anyone else? TAMU and SC I guess, but if he's going to get a waiver to play instantly TAMU doesn't make sense and neither does Penn State.

Bully13
01-18-2015, 11:06 AM
starting from day 1 as a freshman at center is pretty unusual. even if it WAS at wake. he's an all-American too? I wonder how accurate his reasons for leaving wake are though. sometimes things just don't jell and the reasons why are sometimes just better left unsaid. if he's as good as advertised, and proximity to home is a major concern of his, wouldn't AU, Tech and UGA be making hard pushes for him? does anyone know if wake is going to give him a full release? or is he going to have to sit out a year?

Dawg496
01-18-2015, 11:10 AM
The 247sports headline also reads:

"MSU the team to beat for Wake Forest center Cory Helms after visit."

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Helms also said that his grandmother is sick and lives in Fulton, MS. Looks like he may qualify for a hardship waiver and be able to play next season

Bully13
01-18-2015, 11:18 AM
I thought she lived in GA. did I miss something? or was that just where he was from originally? if she lives in Fulton and the main reason for transferring is to be close to her, then he's ours to lose I would assume. would be a gift to have a talented big nasty fall into our lap like that.

MadisonDawg
01-18-2015, 11:45 AM
I spoke to him last night at a friends house. He is released from wake already, and can't transfer to any school in the ACC or any school on their schedule before 2017.

Dawg496
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
If she indeed lives in Fulton, MS, it would make sense for him to transfer to State. Man this would be huge for next season. Talk about upgrading the OL with Rankin and Helms taking over two starting spots. Malone at LG gives us a formidable left side to run behind.

defiantdog
01-18-2015, 11:57 AM
So it seems Helms may be able to play next year now..... either we're trying to find a loophole, or the NCAA just doesn't give a shit about anything but money.

Bully13
01-18-2015, 12:55 PM
I spoke to him last night at a friends house. He is released from wake already, and can't transfer to any school in the ACC or any school on their schedule before 2017.

so they have control over when he could play for 2 years if he went to An ACC school or anybody else on their schedule for the next 2 years? I thought transfers could never be held out for more than 1 year.

so if he were to sign with us, he's still out for '15?

engie
01-18-2015, 01:04 PM
so they have control over when he could play for 2 years if he went to An ACC school or anybody else on their schedule for the next 2 years? I thought transfers could never be held out for more than 1 year.

so if he were to sign with us, he's still out for '15?

How did you get any of this from what he posted? And how did you get that from NCAA rules?

Wake blocked his transfer to any ACC school other schools on their schedule through 2017. That includes Indiana, Army, Elon, Notre Dame, Delaware, Tulane, Appalachian St, and Utah St -- with 2 more teams to be added. That does NOT mean that he couldn't go to those schools -- it means he could not go on football scholarship for a period of one year at those schools. Anywhere else -- he goes on aid immediately, but has to sit a year. Unless he gets a hardship waiver, in which case, he'd be eligible to play immediately. It looks fairly likely that he has a great chance to get a hardship waiver if he transfers to MSU with his sick grandmother being in MS. Has to give us a tremendous chance of landing him.

I seen it dawg
01-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Sounds like we are his best chance by far to get on the field in the fall.

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 03:01 PM
So it seems Helms may be able to play next year now..... either we're trying to find a loophole, or the NCAA just doesn't give a shit about anything but money.

Ole Miss is the king of the sick grandma/uncle/cousin twice removed hardship waiver. It's more surprising when they don't get someone eligible immediately. We should be able to do the same thing honestly.

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 03:01 PM
I thought she lived in GA. did I miss something? or was that just where he was from originally? if she lives in Fulton and the main reason for transferring is to be close to her, then he's ours to lose I would assume. would be a gift to have a talented big nasty fall into our lap like that.

Helms lives in Georgia. I assume his grandmother is in Mississippi.

Saltydog
01-18-2015, 03:30 PM
heppin' and shit.........

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
heppin' and shit.........

Yep. That's their game. They find a player who is in a "disadvantaged" situation and then take advantage of it. Because if you call them out "how could you call out someone whose grandmother really is dying?"