PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
01-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Mlb trade rumors says Rockies and braves could be talking about Charlie Blackmon and minor in a trade

Smitty
01-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Charlie Blackmon for Minor? They better send a hell of a lot more than that. Charlie Blackmons are a dime a dozen.

msstate7
01-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Charlie Blackmon for Minor? They better send a hell of a lot more than that. Charlie Blackmons are a dime a dozen.

I doubt it happens, but it would most certainly involve more players if it did.

msstate7
01-17-2015, 10:13 PM
If I was hart, I'd try to sign Gomes and Chris young (pitcher) and that'd be it.

If we surprise and play well, great. If we don't play well, hopefully Jim Johnson, grilli, Gomes, and young do, so we can trade them at break. If we aren't in contention, I'd consider trading kimbrel at break too esp if foltynewicz looks like he could close

War Machine Dawg
01-17-2015, 10:26 PM
If we make that trade and don't get more than Blackmon, I give up. Blackmon had one good season. And truth be told, he really only had one good half. He was very average after the ASB last year. No way I'd give up Minor unless it involved a shitload of prospects.

BoomBoom
01-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Mlb trade rumors says Rockies and braves could be talking about Charlie Blackmon and minor in a trade

Blackmon and a couple prospects, sure. Minor just turned down a deal to avoid an arb hearing, and the new regime seems vindictive enough to trade him away in response. But his stock is as low as it could go, and Blackmon doesnt help much in 2017+, unless you cant find a better CF option. His poor 2014 is attributable to injury that itself is likely from poor prep for 2013 following urethra surgery. Seems smarter to let him bounce back and trade at the deadline.

smootness
01-17-2015, 10:42 PM
If we make that trade and don't get more than Blackmon, I give up. Blackmon had one good season. And truth be told, he really only had one good half. He was very average after the ASB last year. No way I'd give up Minor unless it involved a shitload of prospects.

Then you won't like any trade involving Minor right now. He was never thought of as an ace to begin with, and he certainly isn't now after last year. We could get one quality prospect back for him, I believe; anything else would just be filler, and probably not as good as we got in the Upton deal.

If we could land Blackmon along with a pretty good prospect for Minor right now, I'd do it, though I'd rather wait and hope he gets some of his value back before dealing him.

BoomBoom
01-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Then you won't like any trade involving Minor right now. He was never thought of as an ace to begin with, and he certainly isn't now after last year. We could get one quality prospect back for him, I believe; anything else would just be filler, and probably not as good as we got in the Upton deal.

If we could land Blackmon along with a pretty good prospect for Minor right now, I'd do it, though I'd rather wait and hope he gets some of his value back before dealing him.

If I was GM for a contender that needed a SP, I would trade 2 good prospects for Minor right now. Doubt you'd find a better candidate for a bounce back year, and he's cost controlled for another year to boot.

dawgs
01-17-2015, 11:08 PM
If I was GM for a contender that needed a SP, I would trade 2 good prospects for Minor right now. Doubt you'd find a better candidate for a bounce back year, and he's cost controlled for another year to boot.

Why pay a premium on a guy you are hoping bounces back? Of course any GM would love to get 2 good prospects in return, but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen or is likely to happen, especially for a non-elite guy coming off a bad season.

Tbonewannabe
01-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Why in the hell would Colorado want Minor? They want to set the record of most hr given up by a starting pitcher?

BoomBoom
01-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Why pay a premium on a guy you are hoping bounces back? Of course any GM would love to get 2 good prospects in return, but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen or is likely to happen, especially for a non-elite guy coming off a bad season.

Because a less risky pitcher would cost much more.

msstate7
01-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Why in the hell would Colorado want Minor? They want to set the record of most hr given up by a starting pitcher?

It does seem like a bad idea. Minor gives up a ton of hr's in a pitchers' park

dawgs
01-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Because a less risky pitcher would cost much more.

i don't think a pitcher with slightly less risk than minor would cost more than 2 good prospects. we aren't talking aces here, we are talking solid middle of the rotation guys that could give you a <3.00 era or a >4.00 era any given season.

Todd4State
01-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Sometimes when you hear about a trade like this going down, there's something going on behind the scenes like Minor and the Braves front office not getting along. It's basically a dump. And yes, it does happen. The Cardinals traded Keith Hernandez to the Mets for Neil Allen because he was being investigated by the FBI for distributing cocaine.

And yes, this is speculation on my part but the Braves may be doing this because they feel like Minor might be detrimental in the clubhouse.

Todd4State
01-17-2015, 11:37 PM

It's probably a dump on their end as well. They probably feel like they aren't going to get anything out of Blackmon so they'll roll the dice on Minor and see if he can give them anything.

Actually, I did some research and saw that Blackmon made the All-Star team last year and hit 19 home runs. I've got the same question you do as well now.

BoomBoom
01-17-2015, 11:39 PM
i don't think a pitcher with slightly less risk than minor would cost more than 2 good prospects. we aren't talking aces here, we are talking solid middle of the rotation guys that could give you a <3.00 era or a >4.00 era any given season.

A non-risk cost controlled #2 or 3? Hell yes that costs at least a couple top prospects. I could see Minor going for a Top 20 and a Top 10 prospect.

BoomBoom
01-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Sometimes when you hear about a trade like this going down, there's something going on behind the scenes like Minor and the Braves front office not getting along. It's basically a dump. And yes, it does happen. The Cardinals traded Keith Hernandez to the Mets for Neil Allen because he was being investigated by the FBI for distributing cocaine.

And yes, this is speculation on my part but the Braves may be doing this because they feel like Minor might be detrimental in the clubhouse.

The Braves havent been to an arb hearing in over a decade, and Minor is headed to one.

msstate7
01-17-2015, 11:42 PM
The Braves havent been to an arb hearing in over a decade, and Minor is headed to one.

Earlier in his career didn't minor demand to start or be traded?

Todd4State
01-17-2015, 11:54 PM

That's pretty incredible.

dawgs
01-18-2015, 12:34 AM
A non-risk cost controlled #2 or 3? Hell yes that costs at least a couple top prospects. I could see Minor going for a Top 20 and a Top 10 prospect.

there are a ton of guys in the current state of MLB that get you a ~4.00 era and ~7.5K/9IP, which are about minor's career averages. pitching is not difficult to come by in today's game.

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 02:20 AM
there are a ton of guys in the current state of MLB that get you a ~4.00 era and ~7.5K/9IP, which are about minor's career averages. pitching is not difficult to come by in today's game.

This is true, but if you're the Braves, I would go ahead and make this trade. You're talking about a guy that has an ERA of 4.00 and a WAR of 0.1 for a guy that was a 2.1 WAR player and an All-Star who hit 19 home runs last year. And yes, I would expect some regression because of the ballpark factors- but there is no reason why a guy like Blackmon couldn't hit at least 10 in Atlanta on the low end.

Dawg61
01-18-2015, 03:28 AM

Yea but man did he have some first two months. Guy was hitting like .396 and was the #1 rated OF for awhile last year. I like Blackmon. I think he's an awesome player. He has the prettiest swing in baseball. If he could just get a little stronger I think he's a legit 20/20 threat. Maybe 30/30. Good player. Much much better than Minor imo.

dawgs
01-18-2015, 10:59 AM

What's funny is that I only count 1 good season for minor.

msstate7
01-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Actually the article says the Rockies are shopping Blackmon for pitching and the Braves are a team in talks. My buddy apparently assumed minor was the target. Sorry, I'll read my own link next time...

I do feel minor would be the likely player though

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Yea but man did he have some first two months. Guy was hitting like .396 and was the #1 rated OF for awhile last year. I like Blackmon. I think he's an awesome player. He has the prettiest swing in baseball. If he could just get a little stronger I think he's a legit 20/20 threat. Maybe 30/30. Good player. Much much better than Minor imo.

Oh I know. I grabbed him early for my fantasy team. That's also why I know he sucked ass in the second half. I wound up dropping him like a hot rock.

BoomBoom
01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
This is true, but if you're the Braves, I would go ahead and make this trade. You're talking about a guy that has an ERA of 4.00 and a WAR of 0.1 for a guy that was a 2.1 WAR player and an All-Star who hit 19 home runs last year. And yes, I would expect some regression because of the ballpark factors- but there is no reason why a guy like Blackmon couldn't hit at least 10 in Atlanta on the low end.

3.1 WAR in 2013. Hes much more likely to repeat that than to come in lower than 2 WAR. A 3 WAR cost-controlled pitcher for 2 seasons is worth 2 top prospects at least. 2 good prospects for Minor is a good deal for the team acquiring him. Hell repeating his last 2 seasons is worth 2 good but not elite prospects.

BoomBoom
01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
3.1 WAR in 2013. Hes much more likely to repeat that than to come in lower than 2 WAR. A 3 WAR cost-controlled pitcher for 2 seasons is worth 2 top prospects at least. 2 good prospects for Minor is a good deal for the team acquiring him. Hell repeating his last 2 seasons is worth 2 good but not elite prospects.

The flip side of that is if you think his minor shoulder injuries last season are more of a chronic problem that will hinder his fastball, a la Tommy Hanson. But I dont think anyone thinks that.

BoomBoom
01-18-2015, 02:36 PM

i followed this up with some research. 6 WAR over 2 seasons would be worth about $40M in value right now, so Minor would have about $30M in value after salary. Take that such a pitcher would be worth a qualifying offer, which itself brings a top prospect, then such a pitcher would easily be worth 2 top prospects. An elite prospect has a calculated value of about $40M. Top prospect being Top 50 in baseball but not Top 20. If he repeated his last 2 seasons he'd be worth about $10M in value after salary, so worth a pretty good prospect (Top 100), but no more. If he had 2 WAR over 2 seasons he basically would have performed equal to his salary, and would not be worth a qualifying offer, so would be worth nothing. So, tough call to make there. I assume he will repeat his 2013 numbers, but sounds like ya'll assume he will repeat 2014. Me, i'd take a trade that assumes his value is 4 WAR over 2 seasons (2 good prospects, probably 1 Top 100 and 1 fringe-ish), if i don't get that i'm willing to roll the dice and see how he does in 2015, hoping he resembles 2013 before trading him. But bottom line he's a FA in 2017, so there's no reason for this rebuilding team to keep him.