PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

It_Could_Happen
01-17-2015, 07:50 PM
I am a student and like all others on this board do not think Rick Ray is the answer for our program. That being said, get out and support this team. Regardless of what you say the crowd today made a difference down the stretch. If you have a chance the rest of the year get to the hump.

Political Hack
01-17-2015, 08:19 PM
I agree. the players that committed to the program deserve to have fans in the stands.

Liverpooldawg
01-17-2015, 09:55 PM
If they hadn't stole the seats I was promised for a lifetime when I bought them in 1989 to give to big money people who never show up, I would have been there tonight. I'm one of those locals that people are blasting for not showing up now. All I have to say is, I told them this would happen when they renigged on what they had promised us. We were always there, win or lose. We were basically told to go to hell. Now they whine that nobody is there. I'm sorry but I told you so.

TheRef
01-17-2015, 10:17 PM
I get what you're saying Liverpool, but at some point you need to suck up your pride and come back.

Did you get screwed? Maybe...are you pissed off? Yupp. Should that stop you from going to games even once? Hell no.

Liverpooldawg
01-18-2015, 02:07 PM
I've been to a few. I've even been to one THIS year (That's more than most can say). But if you were basically told you weren't wanted anymore would you want to go back?

maroonmania
01-18-2015, 02:57 PM
I've been to a few. I've even been to one THIS year (That's more than most can say). But if you were basically told you weren't wanted anymore would you want to go back?

Liverpool does bring up a good point. There is no doubt that the atmosphere in the Hump had been deteriorating LONG before Rick Ray showed up. His poor performance has just made things get much worse much more quickly. The reseating to give the best seats to big money people and moving the students out of where they used to be really killed off the Hump atmosphere from the "good old days". I realize all schools are doing that kind of thing but even if our basketball program gets more competitive it probably won't ever routinely be the way it used to be. It would be like if we were expecting the skybox residents at the football games to give us a rowdy atmosphere there, its just not going to happen.

TheRef
01-18-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm just glad we haven't done what Bama has done. They moved the students to the upper deck. During the UK game, a good portion of the bottom deck was Kentucky blue. I don't understand giving your rowdiest group of fans the worst seats possible.

drunkernhelldawg
01-18-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm just glad we haven't done what Bama has done. They moved the students to the upper deck. During the UK game, a good portion of the bottom deck was Kentucky blue. I don't understand giving your rowdiest group of fans the worst seats possible.

Excellent point. Personally, I don't care what other schools are doing: We need our students in good seats in the lower deck. Students are bottom line what it's all about.

CJDAWG85
01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I've always said they need to put the students behind both goals.

TheRef
01-18-2015, 09:18 PM
I've always said they need to put the students behind both goals.

NO. They tried that one year and it absolutely killed the student section.

Mutt the Hoople
01-18-2015, 09:27 PM
They need to ring the first 10 rows around the court with student seating. Smart basketball schools do this. This would make for an intimidating environment.

TheRef
01-18-2015, 09:29 PM
They need to ring the first 10 rows around the court with student seating. Smart basketball schools do this. This would make for an intimidating environment.

Not first 10...not enough students to do that consistently unless you're talking about having those cleared out until tip. After tip, crowd can move in

CJDAWG85
01-18-2015, 09:59 PM
NO. They tried that one year and it absolutely killed the student section.

When did they try this?

TheRef
01-18-2015, 10:01 PM
When did they try this?
The first year after moving the students away from the sideline. They split the students up onto either side of the court. Chants couldn't be coordinated at all, and the student section fell apart. Then they moved the students to their current location.

CadaverDawg
01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm no expert on crowds, but to me it would make sense to put the students at center court right behind the scorers table that is shown when the game is on TV. That way the entire time the game is being shown, the student section is in the screen. It looks awesome when you watch Duke and Michigan, how their students are always jumping and bouncing in unison and you see it while the game is going on, not just on shots of the crowd, if that makes sense.

TheRef
01-18-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm no expert on crowds, but to me it would make sense to put the students at center court right behind the scorers table that is shown when the game is on TV. That way the entire time the game is being shown, the student section is in the screen. It looks awesome when you watch Duke and Michigan, how their students are always jumping and bouncing in unison and you see it while the game is going on, not just on shots of the crowd, if that makes sense.

We used to be behind the radio and TV announcers, but that got knocked out by Byrne...those seats went to the big money guys, we were thrown behind the goal.

hells bells
01-18-2015, 11:44 PM
A man brother Liverpool.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-19-2015, 01:21 AM
I sat in the student section for the first time this season against Vanderbilt. I sat in front of a row of Jay Bilas wannabes & had to hear them talk shit about how bad each of our players sucked, & actually yell you suck, the entire 1st half. It wouldn't have phased me if they had been on Ray's ass for an hour, but I can't stomach that much negativity towards fellow classmates. I moved behind the bench for the 2nd half & was lucky enough to sit behind some of the player's moms (the most crunk people in the building). Hate to see the Hump of my youth in ashes, but sitting where you want is nice at times.