PDA

View Full Version : MSU basketball important question...

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 07:24 PM
If you knew that your attendance wouldn't potentially help in the retainment of Rick Ray, would you be more likely to attend?

I really want these players to experience a packed house at the hump, because they stuck it out during the coaching change, and have had to put up with Ray for their whole careers. That being said, I don't want us to start packing the house in fear that Scott will want to keep Ray thinking he is doing something to create the crowd. I just wonder how many others (if any), would go out and support the team more if you knew Ray was gone after this season regardless?

College athletics has become so much about the dollars, that I think fans use their money and attendance as ways to send a message. Which in turn, hurts the players and takes away from their experience in college.

Thoughts?

rabbitthedawg
01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
I am up here (Starkville) and thought, "I really should go to this game." However...I stayed at the Dawghouse and had a few drinks. if Ray puts a competitive team on the court and is not an embarrassment, I'll go.

MadisonDawg
01-17-2015, 07:35 PM
My freshman year I got to know Gavin, Fred, Craig and trivante pretty well because we lived on the same hall. They seemed like good guys, so I hope that they get to experience a packed house like I did growing up. Today once the crowd got into the game there was a noticeable difference in play.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Yea, the crowd definitely makes a difference

MabenMaroon
01-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Ahh! The which came first the chicken or the egg question. Or is it build it and they will come?

archdog
01-17-2015, 08:16 PM
I was 50/50 on going to the game today. I didn't go, but I have been getting closer and closer to actually going to the game. I remember the hump when it was packed for 5 seasons in a row back when Mario Austin and LRoberts were here. It was the best atmosphere in msu sports during that time and really defined every one of my springs in starkville.

yjnkdawg
01-17-2015, 08:27 PM
The players shouldn't be penalized for inept coaching, and I feel for our players who want to succeed. Strange thing about this team, is that most of the players could shoot before they came to MSU. Has Ray and this coaching staff brainwashed them into playing defense only, and they forgot how to shoot and score, or is it this coaching staff doesn't have a clue on how to develop an offensive game plan? It seems like we have no plays to open up at least an attempt to shoot a decent outside shot (most of the time) or set up any plays for an inside game.

I had thought about going to some of the games before the season started, but around a 4 hour roundtrip, it's still debateable.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
So if we as a fanbase decide to start packing the house "for the players", can we count on Scott "in the black" Stricklin to take that for what it is, and not keep Ray because ticket sales increase?

Because if so, I'm in. These players deserve a packed house IMO.

yjnkdawg
01-17-2015, 08:43 PM
So if we as a fanbase decide to start packing the house "for the players", can we count on Scott "in the black" Stricklin to take that for what it is, and not keep Ray because ticket sales increase?

Because if so, I'm in. These players deserve a packed house IMO.

I think Stricklin knows how the majority of the MSU fanbase feels about his hire. I agree with you and the players deserve it.

preachermatt83
01-17-2015, 09:17 PM
I honestly believe Scott is looking for any reason he can to sell the big shots on keeping Ray and increased ticket sales would be the pony he would ride. I"'m again it!"

HereComesTheSpiral
01-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Miller Brewing Company will be getting all of my extra pesos.

Dawg61
01-18-2015, 03:40 AM
They should let people sit wherever they want for the rest of the season. First come first served.

maroonmania
01-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Seven hour roundtrip for me and I make most all home football games. Basketball, in the past when we have had good teams, I've tried to make a game or two here and there but right now I wouldn't even think about going. Just not worth the effort and right now its hard to watch this product even on TV for me. If I actually lived in the GTR I would probably still go to some games though but that's about the only way until the product is better. Now if I was a student I would be going to most games anyway because your life is pretty much the university at that point and if you like sports at all and are a student you ought to go unless there is some real reason you just can't make it.

DownwardDawg
01-18-2015, 08:50 AM
I honestly believe Scott is looking for any reason he can to sell the big shots on keeping Ray and increased ticket sales would be the pony he would ride. I"'m again it!"

I agree. I hate it for the players but the fastest way to send a message to the AD is when people stop going. Nothing sends a message like an empty stadium/arena.

My opinion really doesn't matter because I've attended maybe 5 MSU basketball games in my lifetime.

Acid mouth
01-18-2015, 10:01 AM
I would consider myself one of the most optimistic Bulldogs and it pains me to ever talk about our sports in a negative light(and rarely if ever an individual athlete fighting for our state). Especially when my favorite team in the galaxy is MSU Basketball (and it's really not even close). That said, the message has been sent. Nobody attends our games. I will not attend for the reason mentioned earlier. One impulsive decision and a no name assisstant coach later, we undid what I thought was our best chance for sustained success in the big 3 sports. Now, I'm looking to Cohen for that.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-18-2015, 10:26 AM
There's no message being sent when these players & coaches never had a packed house in the first place. There was never any support to begin with so what message is being sent when we look around & still don't have a home-court advantage? The only message being sent by anyone who turns their back on any of our programs is that you are a fair weather fan who wants to wave the flag when we win & disassociate when we lose.

I don't root for coaches, I root for a university along with every team & player that represents the university. I don't understand how people can just turn that off when things aren't going their way. If you aren't there cheering for your team when times are bad then you don't enjoy it as much as the ones who did when times are good. I came to watch us get beat by Maine under Croom 10 years ago. I guarantee I enjoyed walking out of this year's Auburn win under Mullen holding up a #1 more than those who said "Well if I go watch Mississippi State football under Croom they may not fire him, so I'm sitting my ass at home".

Mullen preached that we won't start winning games until we start selling out games. We sold out our games, we are now winning our games. Would the baseball program be where it is today if the entire Left Field Lounge quit showing up when Cohen was hired? I'm not comparing Ray to these coaches, & I want this program going in the right direction as quickly as anyone. I'm comparing support among the programs, & how it relates to success. The divided fan base is to blame for our sustained irrelevance as much as any one in the program IMO.

msstate7
01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
There's no message being sent when these players & coaches never had a packed house in the first place. There was never any support to begin with so what message is being sent when we look around & still don't have a home-court advantage? The only message being sent by anyone who turns their back on any of our programs is that you are a fair weather fan who wants to wave the flag when we win & disassociate when we lose.

I don't root for coaches, I root for a university along with every team & player that represents the university. I don't understand how people can just turn that off when things aren't going their way. If you aren't there cheering for your team when times are bad then you don't enjoy it as much as the ones who did when times are good. I came to watch us get beat by Maine under Croom 10 years ago. I guarantee I enjoyed walking out of this year's Auburn win under Mullen holding up a #1 more than those who said "Well if I go watch Mississippi State football under Croom they may not fire him, so I'm sitting my ass at home".

Mullen preached that we won't start winning games until we start selling out games. We sold out our games, we are now winning our games. Would the baseball program be where it is today if the entire Left Field Lounge quit showing up when Cohen was hired? I'm not comparing Ray to these coaches, & I want this program going in the right direction as quickly as anyone. I'm comparing support among the programs, & how it relates to success. The divided fan base is to blame for our sustained irrelevance as much as any one in the program IMO.

Good post. I agree

Acid mouth
01-18-2015, 11:18 AM

There is very much a message being sent when our crowds have sucked under Ray. And the fact that you say nobody attended during Ray's first two years sends the message that the fans have been consistent with that message. I could've bought into your idea had we not packed the Hump for so many years. Hell, we reseated the Hump because of our success. Truth is, nobody wants to drive (5 hour round trip for me) long distances to watch this team. You call me a fair weather fan, but I'd much rather work or if off, deer hunt. In my experience as an MSU fan, attendance is directly correlated with the success of the product on the field/court. I'd also point out that the basketball fan base isn't divided at all. We want Ray gone. Reading you're comments, I'm assuming that you have attended ALL our home basketball games. If not, well hello fellow fair weather fan!

Dawg61
01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Problem is that it was OBVIOUS Mullen knew what the **** he was doing. It only took us one quarter to see that he knew offense and that our shitty Croom days were long gone. That in itself was exciting. We knew better days were ahead. Ray hasn't shown us ANYTHING that resembles high quality coaching. It's a very tough version of basketball to watch. What other good team are we similar to? Duke? **** no. Florida? **** no. A horrible shooting no assist getting retarded slow-motion version of VCU? Yup except our version of Havoc focuses on destroying the fans ability to watch. We are gawd damn awful and Ray KNOWS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT OFFENSE. Nobody is wasting 5 minutes out of their day to go watch that.