PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Athletics

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Whether Football, basketball, or baseball....Missouri just doesn't seem to fit in the SEC. They are competitive at several things, but I just don't feel like I am watching a SEC matchup when they are involved. I'm not sure why, it's weird. I don't feel that way about A&M, so it's not because they are "new" to the SEC.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Maroonthirteen
01-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes. Nothing against them but ... They always seemed more big10 even when they were big12. Also, ATM, I'm with you there too. They fit right in. Wish we could have gotten Texas instead of Missouri.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Yes. Nothing against them but ... They always seemed more big10 even when they were big12. Also, ATM, I'm with you there too. They fit right in. Wish we could have gotten Texas instead of Missouri.

Yea, Texas or Oklahoma would have been perfect in terms of fitting in. You're right, Mizzou seems like a Big 10 team.

Mutt the Hoople
01-17-2015, 07:12 PM
I think the SEC wanted to increase its footprint into the St. Louis area.

engie
01-17-2015, 07:14 PM
They just aren't as ideal of fit as aTm is. aTm was by far the most immediately "SEC" of the new teams we've added...

It going to take a 5+ year adjustment period to get used to it. Was for Arky and SC -- and we'll play Mizzou far less often, so that will make the process even longer from our point of view....

Liverpooldawg
Whether Football, basketball, or baseball....Missouri just doesn't seem to fit in the SEC. They are competitive at several things, but I just don't feel like I am watching a SEC matchup when they are involved. I'm not sure why, it's weird. I don't feel that way about A&M, so it's not because they are "new" to the SEC.

They bring in two of the biggest TV markets in the SEC footprint. THAT helps MSU in a BIG way. They are SEC.

CadaverDawg
I think the SEC wanted to increase its footprint into the St. Louis area.

Oh, I agree. Not saying it was a dumb move, because I totally understand it. Just saying they don't seem to "fit in" for some reason.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 07:16 PM
They bring in two of the biggest TV markets in the SEC footprint. THAT helps MSU in a BIG way. They are SEC.

Yea, again, that's not what I was talking about. We all know that. I'm saying they don't "feel" like a SEC team. Not saying they shouldnt be one. Engie makes a good point, because I bet South Carolina felt like this when they joined...I just can't remember it.

bluelightstar
01-17-2015, 07:19 PM
They aren't as much of an immediate fit as A&M, but we also never play them so that hurts. The East teams seem to be much more "used to" it already.

2015 is their fourth year in the conference, and it'll be the first time we've seen them in football since they joined.

rabbitthedawg
01-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Their alumni are super excited to be a part of the SEC. They have been in the conference for three years and have won the east championship two of those three years. If TN and Florida get their acts back on schedule, lets see what happens. We have to go up there next year and play them in Columbia. That will no be an easy task.

DownwardDawg
01-17-2015, 08:29 PM

I totally agree. Just doesn't seem "right".

bulldawg28
01-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Missouri fits

Bothrops
01-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Missouri is Midwest, that's why.

Liverpooldawg
01-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Their TV market says they ARE SEC. They are a great fit. Seriously guys, we benefit a HECK of a lot from them being in the SEC. I don't care what you think they "feel" like.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Their TV market says they ARE SEC. They are a great fit. Seriously guys, we benefit a HECK of a lot from them being in the SEC. I don't care what you think they "feel" like.

Well that would be great IF THATS WHAT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT. Nobody is arguing what you're saying, because that's all a given. Are you really unable to follow? This thread is about "do you think Missouri 'feels' like a SEC team?". The thread is not "Do you think Missouri should be in the SEC?". If you'd like to create that thread be my guest,but everyone knows they are a good market and that they help us.

War Machine Dawg
01-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Well that would be great IF THATS WHAT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT. Nobody is arguing what you're saying, because that's all a given. Are you really unable to follow? This thread is about "do you think Missouri 'feels' like a SEC team?". The thread is not "Do you think Missouri should be in the SEC?". If you'd like to create that thread be my guest,but everyone knows they are a good market and that they help us.

No kidding. I'm amazed at the lack of reading comprehension here a lot of times. And the inability to follow logic.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 10:25 PM
No kidding. I'm amazed at the lack of reading comprehension here a lot of times. And the inability to follow logic.

Haha I know!

M.Fillmore
01-17-2015, 10:53 PM
Cadaver, Missouri does not feel like an SEC school. Besides the "feel" I don't like them and here is why I don't like Missouri. When they were trying to get into the Big 10 the Missouri President said something to the effect of Missouri would never join the SEC because that would be beneath them academically. So when the Big 10 rejected Missouri and Missouri got a peak at the size of the annual SEC check that rolls out to schools every June, the President got all pluralistic and decided the SEC would be acceptable.

I only pull for Missouri when they play the Bears.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Cadaver, Missouri does not feel like an SEC school. Besides the "feel" I don't like them and here is why I don't like Missouri. When they were trying to get into the Big 10 the Missouri President said something to the effect of Missouri would never join the SEC because that would be beneath them academically. So when the Big 10 rejected Missouri and Missouri got a peak at the size of the annual SEC check that rolls out to schools every June, the President got all pluralistic and decided the SEC would be acceptable.

I only pull for Missouri when they play the Bears.

Interesting. I didn't know all of that. Now I dislike them more.

Todd4State
01-17-2015, 11:50 PM
I'll be honest- I didn't like it/and still don't like the fact that the SEC expanded to 14 teams. The 12 team league seems to fit a lot better- and I think the power five should all be twelve teams as well IMO. Mizzou fits better in Big 12 or Big 10 territory- their rivals are Kansas and Illinois for Heaven's sakes. Also, I would like to see the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry start up again. I know that there are a ton of hard feelings and everything, but that rivalry is good for college football. It could be worse though- at least this isn't as bad as West Virginia in the Big 12. I liked it when the conferences made SOME geographical sense. West Virginia in the Big 12 would be like MSU being in the PAC-12 or Big 10.

War Machine Dawg
01-17-2015, 11:59 PM
I'll be honest- I didn't like it/and still don't like the fact that the SEC expanded to 14 teams. The 12 team league seems to fit a lot better- and I think the power five should all be twelve teams as well IMO. Mizzou fits better in Big 12 or Big 10 territory- their rivals are Kansas and Illinois for Heaven's sakes. Also, I would like to see the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry start up again. I know that there are a ton of hard feelings and everything, but that rivalry is good for college football. It could be worse though- at least this isn't as bad as West Virginia in the Big 12. I liked it when the conferences made SOME geographical sense. West Virginia in the Big 12 would be like MSU being in the PAC-12 or Big 10.

Then get ready to be pissed off even more, because an expansion to 16 teams is inevitable. We'll be adding VA/VA Tech and UNC/NCSU sometime sooner rather than later. And I actually like it. Sure, 12 is more convenient for scheduling. But we get to play teams we never have, there's more money, and you get even better road trips. New rivalries will be created.

scottycameron
01-18-2015, 12:06 AM
No offense, but are you retarded? You're not sure why? I guess if the SEC would have added Penn St or Kansas you'd be head scratching. Nothing personal is just seems to be incredibly dumb to post that question.

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Then get ready to be pissed off even more, because an expansion to 16 teams is inevitable. We'll be adding VA/VA Tech and UNC/NCSU sometime sooner rather than later. And I actually like it. Sure, 12 is more convenient for scheduling. But we get to play teams we never have, there's more money, and you get even better road trips. New rivalries will be created.

Actually, I would prefer 16 to 14. I wish they would go ahead and do it because 14 is such a weird number. And for the love of Pete, I hope West Virginia gets into the ACC or Big 10 where they belong. It's just all jacked up right now.

I don't know about the rivalry stuff because I think what will likely end up happening is the divisions will almost end up becoming sort of like conferences themselves if I had to guess. We'll probably hardly ever play anyone else from the SEC East other than Kentucky.

scottycameron
01-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Actually, I would prefer 16 to 14. I wish they would go ahead and do it because 14 is such a weird number. And for the love of Pete, I hope West Virginia gets into the ACC or Big 10 where they belong. It's just all jacked up right now.

I don't know about the rivalry stuff because I think what will likely end up happening is the divisions will almost end up becoming sort of like conferences themselves if I had to guess. We'll probably hardly ever play anyone else from the SEC East other than Kentucky.

How about 32? That's a good number.

Todd4State
01-18-2015, 12:14 AM
How about 32? That's a good number.

Better than 14.

CadaverDawg
01-18-2015, 12:19 AM
No offense, but are you retarded? You're not sure why? I guess if the SEC would have added Penn St or Kansas you'd be head scratching. Nothing personal is just seems to be incredibly dumb to post that question.

Thanks for your smartass post, but it looks like you may be the moron... Did you miss the above discussion about how Texas, Oklahoma, and several others would feel like they "fit", but Missouri doesn't for some reason? Well...Oklahoma and Texas, along with A&M, are just as far outside of the former SEC footprint as Missouri, if not further....so it's not about geography. And to address your smartass, POS, second part of your post....how many former SEC states does Kansas and Penn State border? Missouri-->Arkansas, A&M-->Louisiana. Thanks for being a dick just for the hell of it...next time feel free to close the thread and not add your wisdom.

CadaverDawg
01-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Looks like this thread has taken a turn for the worse, thanks