PDA

View Full Version : John Talty tweet:

Maroon Blood
01-16-2015, 03:34 PM
"There's at least one Alabama "commit" that's going to end up elsewhere and it's going to be funny when it's billed as a flip."

cheewgumm
01-16-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm going Amari Cooper flips to the Raiders.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Definetely moton. Hope he "flips" to us

Coach34
01-16-2015, 03:42 PM
Cant be Moton- Hevesy recruits this area and as we all have been told - "Hevesy cant croot mane"

maroonmania
01-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Cant be Moton- Hevesy recruits this area and as we all have been told - "Hevesy cant croot mane"

Well technically the mantra has been Hevesy can't recruit OL. He seems to do pretty well recruiting players that won't play directly under him.

quickstrike2
01-16-2015, 03:52 PM
If that's a shot at us and it easily may not be, he might want to consider who uses the word "flip" and under any circumstance to motivate their fan base more than in other in the country.

Really Clark?
01-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Well technically the mantra has been Hevesy can't recruit OL. He seems to do pretty well recruiting players that won't play directly under him.

No. Originally it was he couldn't recruit, period. Only after it finally sunk in to the masses that he has actually got some of our biggest recruits did it change to OL. But prior to the last year or so it was always just plain he couldn't recruit.

deltadawg99
01-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Is Moton an OJ Smith type situation?

Coach34
01-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Moton would be a flip- he is committed to Bama currently and is listed under their commitments.

Acid mouth
01-16-2015, 04:56 PM
If that's a shot at us and it easily may not be, he might want to consider who uses the word "flip" and under any circumstance to motivate their fan base more than in other in the country.

I was mulling over the same thing. Is this a shot at us? And this is definitely a flip. How could it be labeled as anything else??

LibraryDawg
01-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Moton would be a flip- he is committed to Bama currently and is listed under their commitments.
Talty is defending his statement by saying that it's not a flip when he has been told by the staff to look elsewhere. One guy made a good point, if the staff told him to look elsewhere in confidence to let it look like he flips so that it doesn't publicly look like the offer was pulled and Talty is publicizing it, that's a douche bag move.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 05:43 PM
No. Originally it was he couldn't recruit, period. Only after it finally sunk in to the masses that he has actually got some of our biggest recruits did it change to OL. But prior to the last year or so it was always just plain he couldn't recruit.

No. It's always been OL....and it remains OL. In fact, it all started by Coach telling everybody that "just bc it's an OL player we lost, doesn't mean Hevesy was recruiting them". As if Hevesy doesn't even meet some of our OL recruits...which we know isn't true.

He's a solid recruiter for positions not called "OL", but nothing special. Glad we have a solid OL class this year. Still not star studded, but very good. Ole Miss has 2 Top 100 OL commits, and they have one of the worst OL's in the country. Just sayin. It may not be as bad as some of us make it, but sure as hell ain't as good as you guys try to paint it. Good thing he is a good developer though. We will never win the West with the caliber OL talent that wants to play for Hevesy IMO. Just the way I feel. You can develop as good as anybody, but if your front end talent isn't good enough, you can't develop a good enough line to effectively run the ball against a Bama, or other elite defenses.

But I respect y'all's differing opinions. There are far worse than Hevesy, that's for sure...so I'm ok with it. I just know we won't have an elite OL.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 05:47 PM
No. It's always been OL....and it remains OL. He's a decent recruiter for positions not called "OL", but nothing special. Glad we have a solid OL class this year. Still not star studded, but very good. Ole Miss has 2 Top 100 OL commits, and they have one of the worst OL's in the country. Just sayin. It may not be as bad as some of us make it, but sure as hell ain't as good as you guys try to paint it. Good thing he is a good developer though. We will never win the West with the caliber OL talent that wants to play for Hevesy IMO. Just the way I feel. You can develop as good as anybody, but if your front end talent isn't good enough, you can't develop a good enough line to effectively run the ball against a Bama, or other elite defenses.

But I respect y'all's differing opinions. There are far worse than Hevesy, that's for sure...so I'm ok with it. I just know we won't have an elite OL.

I thought we could've easily won the sec this year with our oline. I think dak's turnovers were what lost the bama game. Our defense and defensive gameplan were just as much or more to blame than our oline

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
I thought we could've easily won the sec this year with our oline. I think dak's turnovers were what lost the bama game. Our defense and defensive gameplan were just as much or more to blame than our oline

We couldn't run the ball, therefore Dak had to throw too much. IMO. In Mullen's offense, if we can't run, we can't win against the elite teams. See Ohio St.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 05:53 PM
We couldn't run the ball, therefore Dak had to throw too much. IMO. In Mullen's offense, if we can't run, we can't win against the elite teams. See Ohio St.

Ohio state is the only team to run on bama all year. Were all the sec oline's subpar?

Bothrops
01-16-2015, 05:53 PM

We didn't have the defense to win the west.

maroonmania
01-16-2015, 05:54 PM
No. It's always been OL....and it remains OL. In fact, it all started by Coach telling everybody that "just bc it's an OL player we lost, doesn't mean Hevesy was recruiting them". As if Hevesy doesn't even meet some of our OL recruits...which we know isn't true.

He's a solid recruiter for positions not called "OL", but nothing special. Glad we have a solid OL class this year. Still not star studded, but very good. Ole Miss has 2 Top 100 OL commits, and they have one of the worst OL's in the country. Just sayin. It may not be as bad as some of us make it, but sure as hell ain't as good as you guys try to paint it. Good thing he is a good developer though. We will never win the West with the caliber OL talent that wants to play for Hevesy IMO. Just the way I feel. You can develop as good as anybody, but if your front end talent isn't good enough, you can't develop a good enough line to effectively run the ball against a Bama, or other elite defenses.

I tend to agree. Our OL, which was at its best under Hevesy this year, was good enough to be effective against most teams. Still not good enough to be effective against Top 20 type defenses. We really couldn't run the ball against Ark, Bama, OM or GT. We could still throw the ball but the run game was pretty futile in those games.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Ohio state is the only team to run on bama all year. Were all the sec oline's subpar?

I'm not talking about Bama...I'm talking about how that style of O won't win big games unless the run game is effective. We aren't Baylor...everything our offense does revolves around the ability to run and use play action

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:02 PM
I tend to agree. Our OL, which was at its best under Hevesy this year, was good enough to be effective against most teams. Still not good enough to be effective against Top 20 type defenses. We really couldn't run the ball against Ark, Bama, OM or GT. We could still throw the ball but the run game was pretty futile in those games.

I agree

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I know I'm not changing anyone's opinions, nor are you changing mine...I just think our OL recruiting isn't good enough for our offense to beat the best. But it's good enough to win 10, which is great, so if y'all are cool with that I can live with it. I just think we can win the West if we step up the Offensive trenches

msstate7
01-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Against bama we outrushed them 138 to 124. We had 428 total yards to 335.

Against OM we had 163 rushing yards and 445 total. OM had 205 rushing and 532 total. Our defense lost this game

defiantdog
01-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Payne may have pushed Moton to look elsewhere

Coach34
01-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Sighhhhh

we win the West if Prescott doesn't throw 3 picks vs Bama.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Against bama we outrushed them 138 to 124. We had 428 total yards to 335.

Against OM we had 163 rushing yards and 445 total. OM had 205 rushing and 532 total. Our defense lost this game

In comeback mode in both games. Again, if you want to try and use those numbers to make it look better, that's fine...but we all know that when those games were tight, we couldn't do shit on the ground.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
In comeback mode in both games. Again, if you want to try and use those numbers to make it look better, that's fine...but we all know that when those games were tight, we couldn't do shit on the ground.
Egg
In the 3rd quarter, we had a 9 play 62 yards drive to take the lead 10-7 with 9:37 left in 3rd. We lost the lead the next drive after an 83 yard engram catch. We then drove 5 plays 58 yards, but missed fg. What I'm saying is we moved the ball when the game was very much in doubt.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Sighhhhh

we win the West if Prescott doesn't throw 3 picks vs Bama.

Why did he have to throw it so much? Oh yea, bc we couldn't move it on the ground when we needed to. Ignore it all you want, I know Hev is your boy, but our OL and Safeties were the two weaknesses in the games we lost.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:36 PM
Egg
In the 3rd quarter, we had a 9 play 62 yards drive to take the lead 10-7 with 9:37 left in 3rd. We lost the lead the next drive after an 83 yard engram catch. We then drove 5 plays 58 yards, but missed fg. What I'm saying is we moved the ball when the game was very much in doubt.

2 series. Out of 2 games. When we needed to run the ball, we couldn't. Were there exceptions? Sure a few. But as a whole, we weren't able to run, and therefore our play action wasn't effective. That was the difference between AU/LSU,and Bama/OM games. That, and our defense of course. But you can't win many big games these days with 17 and 20 points.

Coach34
01-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Why did he have to throw it so much? Oh yea, bc we couldn't move it on the ground when we needed to. Ignore it all you want, I know Hev is your boy, but our OL and Safeties were the two weaknesses in the games we lost.

the other guys in this thread have already proven you wrong. It's no use keeping on.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:39 PM
the other guys in this thread have already proven you wrong. It's no use keeping on.

No they haven't. Did we win the West? Well then why not? Should our defense have held Bama to 19 and OM to 16? Tall order. Why was our high powered offensive line not able to lead us to more points in those games? I'm seriously asking. You're wrong and you know it, you just can't admit it. And I'm cool with that...I've known that for a long time.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 06:40 PM
2 series. Out of 2 games. When we needed to run the ball, we couldn't. Were there exceptions? Sure a few. But as a whole, we weren't able to run, and therefore our play action wasn't effective. That was the difference between AU/LSU,and Bama/OM games

I just think it's wrong to pin those losses on the oline. Personally I think had we recruited better at safety, we would've benefited more in those games yet no one says that. It's always pinned on the oline and oline recruiting

bulldawg28
01-16-2015, 06:40 PM

The rushing problems had more to do with Robinson than anything. Shumpert gave Ole Miss fits rushing and we never attempted a rushing attack against GT. If your referring to Dak's runs then yes we were limited.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:44 PM
I just think it's wrong to pin those losses on the oline. Personally I think had we recruited better at safety, we would've benefited more in those games yet no one says that. It's always pinned on the oline and oline recruiting

Well Coach just blamed it on our Heisman candidate, so who was more to blame? I didn't blame it ALL on the OL...but in order to win big games you either have to be great in the trenches, or have a great passing attack. Our offense is built around the run. So tell me, why weren't we able to surpass 20 against OM and Bama? It wasn't the defenses fault we couldn't break 20 points. Yes, they sucked vs OM but we still only scored 17. So tell me why.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
The rushing problems had more to do with Robinson than anything. Shumpert gave Ole Miss fits rushing and we never attempted a rushing attack against GT. If your referring to Dak's runs then yes we were limited.

Well Dak's runs are what move our offense. So that's pretty big IMO. Take Dak's runs out of LSU, AU, and A&M and we are screwed. And why was JRob unable to run?

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Y'all are all dancing all over it bc you don't want to admit the truth. Our OL let us down in our big games down the stretch. It's ok, it took me a while to admit it too. And it sucks, but hey, 10 wins is awesome. Just don't expect more until we get more hosses up front. And that's not easy, but it starts with not losing the best HS OL in the state each year.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Well Coach just blamed it on our Heisman candidate, so who was more to blame? I didn't blame it ALL on the OL...but in order to win big games you either have to be great in the trenches, or have a great passing attack. Our offense is built around the run. So tell me, why weren't we able to surpass 20 against OM and Bama? It wasn't the defenses fault we couldn't break 20 points. Yes, they sucked vs OM but we still only scored 17. So tell me why.

We outgained bama by a 100 yards. We were within 6 points, but we couldn't get a stop on 2 straight 3rd and longs. We had 3 TO's to bama's 0.

In egg, we gave up 2 plays of 80+ yards. If we stop those 2 plays, we're in the game to the end. OM was the #1 scoring defense in the country at home in a rivalry game. Our offense wasn't great, but it should've been good enough to give us a chance. Our defense blew it, not our oline. BM had 1 tackle, but no one blamed him. Just don't understand why we throw the oline under the bus all the time

engie
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
I tend to agree. Our OL, which was at its best under Hevesy this year, was good enough to be effective against most teams.

We put up well over 400 yards in every game we lost. Only Auburn and Ohio St put up more yards on Bama. Only Auburn and aTm(who got all their yards in garbage time) put up more yards on Ole Miss. We moved the ball on both of those teams very effectively. Do people HONESTLY think we should be able to just do whatever we want against the best defenses in the country? Just line up and run all over them -- while Aaron Rodgersing asses whenever we feel like throwing? They are the best defenses in the country for a reason -- because they can take away everyone else's strengths and make them play secondarily. Teams overload to take away the run game, so what? Dak burns them for 350 through the air.

Football Outsiders say our OL was a damn good run blocking OL. One of the top 20 in the country. Passblocking is another story, which is where it was average. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:02 PM
We outgained bama by a 100 yards. We were within 6 points, but we couldn't get a stop on 2 straight 3rd and longs. We had 3 TO's to bama's 0.

In egg, we gave up 2 plays of 80+ yards. If we stop those 2 plays, we're in the game to the end. OM was the #1 scoring defense in the country at home in a rivalry game. Our offense wasn't great, but it should've been good enough to give us a chance. Our defense blew it, not our oline. BM had 1 tackle, but no one blamed him. Just don't understand why we throw the oline under the bus all the time

We only scored 17 and 20 points. I'm admitting our D wasn't great, but you don't win many these days scoring 17 and 20. Tell me why we weren't able to score more points with our Top offense in the SEC?

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:04 PM
delete

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:07 PM
How many did we score to win the egg last year?

So you're saying our D should be able to hold Bama and OM to 10 points to win?! Ha. Our run game had an excuse last year with Williams at QB. Can't believe you posted that, ha.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:09 PM
We only scored 17 and 20 points. I'm admitting our D wasn't great, but you don't win many these days scoring 17 and 20. Tell me why we weren't able to score more points with our Top offense in the SEC?

We were the best sec offense in total offense.

OM was #1 and bama #6 nationally in scoring defense. We were #16 in scoring offense. They were good at defense

Jacksondevildog
01-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Has Talty gotten rid of his college boy haircut yet? Any real employer worth a shit would not hire someone that looked like a 16 year old girl.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Again, there's multiple factors, including defense mainly...but we were made one dimensional for a majority of the Bama and OM games, and that doesn't happen if you have the hosses up front. You guys act like I'm saying our OL sucked...it didn't. I'm just saying that if you think Clausell, Day, Beckwith, Malone, and Senior we're going to allow us to run the ball effectively enough to win the West, you're crazy. I'm not saying "Fahr Hevesy!"...I'm just saying if he doesn't start bringing in better front end talent, we may have reached our ceiling. This class was a good start, but it still wasn't that great of an OL class. Good though.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:13 PM
We were the best sec offense in total offense.

OM was #1 and bama #6 nationally in scoring defense. We were #16 in scoring offense. They were good at defense

Your point? That's exactly what I'm saying, if we want to beat top defenses, we MUST be able to run the ball effectively. We didn't, so we lost. You are saying exactly what I'm saying. If you guys think we can win a West Title on Dak's arm, you're wrong. Just like Ohio St wouldn't have won on cardale's arm. It took Elliot and that OL being able to run on Bama and Oregon.

Bama isn't leaving the West.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:13 PM
So you're saying our D should be able to hold Bama and OM to 10 points to win?! Ha. Our run game had an excuse last year with Williams at QB. Can't believe you posted that, ha.

Yeah that's why I deleted it haha

If we had a competent defense this year though, 17 would've had us in that game till the end. Everyone blistered OM with blitzes, so we sit back in zone rushing 4. Defensive gameplan for the egg was worse than any oline recruiting we've done

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Again, there's multiple factors, including defense mainly...but we were made one dimensional for a majority of the Bama and OM games, and that doesn't happen if you have the hosses up front. You guys act like I'm saying our OL sucked...it didn't. I'm just saying that if you think Clausell, Day, Beckwith, Malone, and Senior we're going to allow us to run the ball effectively enough to win the West, you're crazy. I'm not saying "Fahr Hevesy!"...I'm just saying if he doesn't start bringing in better front end talent, we may have reached our ceiling. This class was a good start, but it still wasn't that great of an OL class. Good though.

We outrushed bama and outgained them too. Does bama need to recruit better at oline too?

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:23 PM
We outrushed bama and outgained them too. Does bama need to recruit better at oline too?

The only reason was bc we ran the ball down 2+ scores in the 4th quarter, and they were playing the pass. And as for the second part, I thought our defense sucked? If they sucked, how did they slow Bama down? Our defense played good enough to beat Bama, but our O couldn't run the ball so we only scored 20. And in the red zone, we could barely pound out a yard on the ground. Why is that? If our OL is so good, why couldn't we score in the red zone?

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Like I said, neither of is is giving in, ha. I believe Bama and OM had good defenses...but they obviously weren't so tough that nobody could run on them. If we want to improve our win total beyond 9-10, which is asking a lot, we have to get to where we can run the ball against good defenses. Does our D need to improve? Of course. But running the ball and playing good D are the two keys to victory IMO. I respect your opinion though. I just think our OL talent needs to improve

smootness
01-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Why are we arguing this? If we want to win the West, we need to improve the talent level everywhere. I don't think there is anyone anywhere who will disagree with that.

And it's what every program in the country, save a few, is trying to do.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
The only reason was bc we ran the ball down 2+ scores in the 4th quarter, and they were playing the pass. And as for the second part, I thought our defense sucked? If they sucked, how did they slow Bama down? Our defense played good enough to beat Bama, but our O couldn't run the ball so we only scored 20. And in the red zone, we could barely pound out a yard on the ground. Why is that? If our OL is so good, why couldn't we score in the red zone?

Our defense was good against bama. Terrible against OM

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Our defense was good against bama. Terrible against OM

I agree. Woohoo! We agree!

msstate7
01-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Like I said, neither of is is giving in, ha. I believe Bama and OM had good defenses...but they obviously weren't so tough that nobody could run on them. If we want to improve our win total beyond 9-10, which is asking a lot, we have to get to where we can run the ball against good defenses. Does our D need to improve? Of course. But running the ball and playing good D are the two keys to victory IMO. I respect your opinion though. I just think our OL talent needs to improve

I'm not arguing we don't need to upgrade oline talent, which I think we have with this class. I'm just saying I thought this oline was good enough to win the sec this year. I think safety was much worse than the oline.

Argument over. I win. Just kidding. We still friends cadaver haha

Pollodawg
01-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Does he mean a commit from Alabama or someone who is committed to Bama?

bulldawg28
01-16-2015, 09:11 PM
We put up well over 400 yards in every game we lost. Only Auburn and Ohio St put up more yards on Bama. Only Auburn and aTm(who got all their yards in garbage time) put up more yards on Ole Miss. We moved the ball on both of those teams very effectively. Do people HONESTLY think we should be able to just do whatever we want against the best defenses in the country? Just line up and run all over them -- while Aaron Rodgersing asses whenever we feel like throwing? They are the best defenses in the country for a reason -- because they can take away everyone else's strengths and make them play secondarily. Teams overload to take away the run game, so what? Dak burns them for 350 through the air.

Football Outsiders say our OL was a damn good run blocking OL. One of the top 20 in the country. Passblocking is another story, which is where it was average. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

This

maroonmania
01-16-2015, 09:35 PM

FWIW I agree with you Cadaver but its not worth it for me to get in a pissing match over it with others on this thread.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 10:19 PM
FWIW I agree with you Cadaver but its not worth it for me to get in a pissing match over it with others on this thread.

Very true, I'm going to let it die too after this. And I think you have been of this opinion quite some time if I remember correctly. I think we can agree that until we get a line that can push a good defense back from time to time, we will not do any better than this season. And that's not to take away from this year, it was awesome....but I just thought we all wanted to ultimately win a Title. And if that is the goal, we aren't going to get it done with 2-3 star projects and walk ons on our OL. It just isn't going to happen....especially with our style of offense that relies on the ground game not only to run the ball, but for all of our play action passing to work. Our OL is our life blood in the Mullen scheme. When we quit being able to pick up 3+ on Dak's runs between the tackles...our season ended.