PDA

View Full Version : Well the Braves won't be getting Aoki

Irondawg
01-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Mistake I think. He would have been a decent plug and play and would also have been a possible trade chip mid-year

john Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have signed Norichika Aoki to a one-year contract.
It's a $4 million deal that includes a $5.5 million option for 2016. He can earn $1.5 million per year in incentives, so the contract could potentially max out at $12.5 million. Aoki hit just one homer last season in a move to pitcher-friendly Kauffman Stadium, but he batted a solid .285/.349/.360 overall. His power isn't likely to return at AT&T Park, but Aoki is a good bet for a nice average and around 20 stolen bases. He'll be the Giants' left fielder, pushing Gregor Blanco to a fourth outfielder role.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Looking like Gomes or terd/almonte platoon

Thrill1
01-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Glad the Giants finally made a move on LF. Although not the power bat most were looking for, Aoki's approach should fit well. You Braves fans need to go ahead and load up on the Valium before Opening Day gets here.

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Do the Braves lose 100 games this season?

msstate7
01-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Do the Braves lose 100 games this season?

No. Pitching will be good to very good, but hitting will struggle. Still think we're around .500.

Tbonewannabe
01-16-2015, 01:01 PM
No. Pitching will be good to very good, but hitting will struggle. Still think we're around .500.

MSU baseball has prepared us for what we are about to see. If we don't see a lot of hit and runs and stealing I don't know how they will score.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
MSU baseball has prepared us for what we are about to see. If we don't see a lot of hit and runs and stealing I don't know how they will score.

I really don't see how the offense can be any worse than last year. I think an OBP approach will definetely help Simmons, maybe even bethancourt. Markakis and callaspo are high OBP guys, so hopefully they're on base for ff. Gonna need a better year from johnson and I think we'll get it. Almonte has been killing it in winterball, so hopefully that carries over.

I really like the pitching esp in Wandy can stay healthy

biscuit
01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
They will be frustrating as always. They will Lose a bunch of One run games because we can't hit. As always, I will watch the Braves, Cuss the Braves and drink alot.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 01:14 PM
They will be frustrating as always. They will Lose a bunch of One run games because we can't hit. As always, I will watch the Braves, Cuss the Braves and drink alot.

Minus the drinking part -- that will be me too. I'll probably watch 150+ games no matter the result. If we lose 90+, I might pick up drinking too*

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Ugh...that is a MUCH better signing than Markakis for 4 years.

msstate7
01-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Ugh...that is a MUCH better signing than Markakis for 4 years.

Maybe bc of the 4 years, but I like markakis better as a player. Both have similar avg/OBP, but markakis has better power and defense (by far)

War Machine Dawg
01-16-2015, 01:41 PM
I like signing Markakis, too. The problem is that I fully expect him to forget how to hit like every other big offensive free agent signing/trade we've made in the last decade. Must be something in the water, because I can't remember the last big time hitter who came to Atlanta and actually hit worth a damn. Sheffield maybe?

Missing out on Aoki sucks, as he probably would've displaced BJ in CF at some point. And he could've been our Opening Day leadoff hitter instead of Markakis, which is the current plan. But it also appears the long game for leadoff is to wait for Peraza to get ready. Fredi has already said we could see him by May or June, assuming he doesn't make the team out of spring training.

I don't see us losing 100 games simply because of the pitching. Teheran, Wood, Miller, Minor, and Hale/Wandy/Russell is as good a rotation as you'll find in baseball. The problem is that we're going to have to win a lot of 1-0, 2-1 games because we aren't going to hit worth a damn. Simmons sucks, CJ sucks, Bethancourt sucks, BJ sucks, and we don't have any clue who's going to play LF. Our entire offense is going to revolve around Freeman and Markakis. Maybe Gosselin and/or Peraza. The other 7 are bums with a bat. And I'll dog cuss John Hart all summer when Gattis threatens to hit 50 bombs as the DH in Houston. El Oso Blanco can RAKE.

Dawg61
01-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Nice addition for the Giants. I also like the Casey McGhee signing. Lost a great player in Sandoval but no way the Giants were paying 95 mill for him.