PDA

View Full Version : Running game

msstate7
01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
With shump, Williams, and lee being more ducre/Dixon than LP and jrob, do you think we see more of mullen's first year approach to running game?

Westdawg
01-16-2015, 12:37 PM
i want to see us get back to more physical N/S running and using the heck out of an H-Back or fullback as a lead blocker, and while we are at it, throw in more QB rollouts and open up some of the field.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
With shump, Williams, and lee being more ducre/Dixon than LP and jrob, do you think we see more of mullen's first year approach to running game?

Good question. I'm scared to death that we will see a lot more Holloway since he is our only "speed back". I wouldn't mind seeing us play one of the true freshmen if it will add a speed dimension plus a little more size than Holloway, but I don't expect any of them to play as freshmen. If we have to increase Holloway's role as a RB, we will see a serious decrease in offensive productivity in 2015 IMO.

thedawg
01-16-2015, 12:48 PM
I am hoping that since Dear got here for spring semester that he takes all of Holloway's touches... I dont expect him to redshirt after being in our strength program for eight months

HoopsDawg
01-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Good question. I'm scared to death that we will see a lot more Holloway since he is our only "speed back". I wouldn't mind seeing us play one of the true freshmen if it will add a speed dimension plus a little more size than Holloway, but I don't expect any of them to play as freshmen. If we have to increase Holloway's role as a RB, we will see a serious decrease in offensive productivity in 2015 IMO.

Murphy is the same type of runner as everyone else. Gibson needs a redshirt. Mixon is a slot receiver. The guy I look to is Malik Dear especially since Dear is already enrolled. I would really like to see him accept the role of being our change of pace/3rd down back. If he can get in shape, I think that's the best spot for him and our team. He could bring a little burst to RB and we could use him the way we should have used LP.

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2015, 01:10 PM

I wonder if we'll see Donald Gray play the Percy Harvin position where he flexs to both slot WR and RB?

We really haven't seen that since Mullen has been here because we haven't had the personnel, but Gray or Dear may fit that.

Coach34
01-16-2015, 01:21 PM
I'll be totally shocked if Dear doesn't RS

thedawg
01-16-2015, 01:25 PM
We need a speed back in the worst kind of way and Holloway is not very good.. It may not be Dear but we need someone to step up

War Machine Dawg
01-16-2015, 01:47 PM

I'll disagree here. I thought Holloway was very effective as a change of pace scatback this season. And he should actually be even MORE effective next season, since Shump, A-Train, and Lee are all more physical backs than J-Rob with fewer moves. Defenses are going to get worn out trying to tackle Shump, A-Train, and Dak. Then you toss in Holloway on the quick hitting play and they won't be ready for his moves and speed. Not to mention he's probably the fastest player on the team and among the fastest players in the conference. You can't coach speed and Holloway has it.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I'll disagree here. I thought Holloway was very effective as a change of pace scatback this season. And he should actually be even MORE effective next season, since Shump, A-Train, and Lee are all more physical backs than J-Rob with fewer moves. Defenses are going to get worn out trying to tackle Shump, A-Train, and Dak. Then you toss in Holloway on the quick hitting play and they won't be ready for his moves and speed. Not to mention he's probably the fastest player on the team and among the fastest players in the conference. You can't coach speed and Holloway has it.

Yea, we definitely disagree. Holloway had a good game against like A&M and UT Martin. He is not big enough, strong enough, talented enough, to be a true run threat in the SEC in my opinion. He rarely ever gets to utilize his speed because either A) He dances too much, or B) He can't break one single tackle that potentially spring him for an open run. Again, not against good teams anyway.

But we'll see. He isn't anywhere close to a Perkins level, and we were all wanting Perkins to get less touches his final year. He's faster than Perk, but that's all he has on him. And I definitely don't buy that he is one of the fastest guys int he conference. Maybe without pads on....unfortunately he has to wear them on the field. I hope I'm dead wrong on Holloway, because he seems like a good dude....I just don't want him getting touches for our football team when we have FAR better options.

Again, just my opinion. And I respect your opinion.

War Machine Dawg
01-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Yea, we definitely disagree. Holloway had a good game against like A&M and UT Martin. He is not big enough, strong enough, talented enough, to be a true run threat in the SEC in my opinion. He rarely ever gets to utilize his speed because either A) He dances too much, or B) He can't break one single tackle that potentially spring him for an open run. Again, not against good teams anyway.

But we'll see. He isn't anywhere close to a Perkins level, and we were all wanting Perkins to get less touches his final year. He's faster than Perk, but that's all he has on him. And I definitely don't buy that he is one of the fastest guys int he conference. Maybe without pads on....unfortunately he has to wear them on the field. I hope I'm dead wrong on Holloway, because he seems like a good dude....I just don't want him getting touches for our football team when we have FAR better options.

Again, just my opinion. And I respect your opinion.

I get what you're saying. I don't want him getting 10+ touches or anything. But I think he could be lethal on 5-8 touches per game, if we utilize them properly. And unless I'm mistaken, I think Holloway is a sub-4.3 guy. That makes him one of the fastest guys in the conference. Doesn't necessarily make him a great football player, though, which is your point - and one I don't necessarily disagree with, to be honest. But like I said, the key with him is using him at the right time with the right play, like a jet sweep out of the slot or a toss play. You're right about him not being able to run through even the slightest contact, so getting him into open space as fast as possible is imperative.

thf24
01-16-2015, 03:39 PM
I think what Holloway has to improve to become consistently effective is vision. If he's out in space moving up the field in a straight line, not many in the SEC are going to catch him. Getting there is the problem, and he's probably always going to go down upon minimal contact and hasn't displayed the agility thus far to make defenders completely miss. If he can get better at locating a seam and hitting it hard out of the backfield, he'll be a threat. Otherwise, he's got to have a huge, perfectly blocked hole, like the one he had on his long run vs. TAMU and touchdown run vs. UTM, and that just isn't going to happen very often in the SEC.

GTHOM
01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I would love to see the 2009-2010 run game come back