PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon destinations.

Bark
01-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Have a wedding coming up may 23 (Memorial Day weekend) and need some advice on honeymoon destinations. Maybe give a top 3 international and top 10 inside the United States. I want somewhere where the water is safe to drink in large quantities without getting sick. Doesn't matter if it's mountains, beach, etc. I'm open to anything. Would be flying out of Atlanta. Mainly looking for beautiful place for relaxation and modern amenities not extreme activities - gonna keep the exercise on this trip to the bedroom.

Martianlander
01-15-2015, 04:08 PM
In all seriousness, if you can get your future wife to buy into it, I would drive somewhere like Callaway Gardens or Gatlinburg. You are going to spend most of your time in the motel and if you do get out you would still have some scenery. Then about six or seven months form now go somewhere like a Disney World or New England or somewhere international if you want to.

Johnson85
01-15-2015, 04:39 PM
I will second the delayed honey moon. If you really expect to spend a lot of your time in the bedroom, and I'd try to do something relaxing and nice but moderately priced and save money to do a big trip in 6 months to a year. Grayton beach, myrtle beach, hilton head, jacksonville, etc. are all five hours away. One thing that will screw you is doing it on Memorial Day weekend. I assume you will pay a premium at most places that would be nice to honeymoon. Reynold's plantation is close to you and would be a nice place to kill time, but that probably wouldn't help you save money for a bigger trip later, but maybe there is a small rental on the same lake? Since you're in atlanta you might be able to get a cheap flight into New Orleans and then just hang out there. Not too taxing or expensive, and plenty to do without being a place where you feel like you're wasting an experience by spending it all inside.

But if you're going to do big trip, coming from Atlanta I'd just do something at an all inclusive resort in the Caribean. Flying out of Atlanta is as cheap as you can do it probably and May early June isn't the most expensive time to do it (Juley or August would be cheaper, but also a little on the hot side). Sandals guarantee you a solid quality but they are expensive. If all you want to do is lay around and relax, I would probably do Punta Cana. Not really good snorkeling or scuba that is convenient, and generally not as much to do off thte resorts as other places, but can't beat the beach and water.

DawgHouseUnited
01-16-2015, 09:32 AM
I'll third the delay idea. We went to Gatlinburg right after our wedding as a short little trip. The fam hooked us up with a nice condo and everything. Then, in early December we took a cruise. Great timing, it wasn't too terribly crowded, and the weather was great.

jumbo
01-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Went to Couples Swept Away in Negril for mine and had a blast.

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2015, 12:56 PM
We went to Ireland on our honeymoon and loved it. Went as part of a week long tour with Tauk. They put you up in the best of the best accomodations and you got to see all of the best sites. Google Adaire Manor. That was where we stayed the first three nights. Since it was our honeymoon they ended up putting us in the presidential suite. Dayum. That place was incredible.

BeastMan
01-16-2015, 11:32 PM
I know it's the in thing to go out of country but we went to Key West. I love Key West and recommend it for any honeymoon or just plain vacation. It has Duval street for your nightlife, a huge selection of great restaurants, and the 2nd largest natural coral reef in the word. We enjoyed day activities like jet ski island tours, snorkeling, and other water related stuff. Then go get a great dinner and then hit Duval for live music, cocktails, and entertainment.

Johnson85
01-16-2015, 11:59 PM
I know it's the in thing to go out of country but we went to Key West. I love Key West and recommend it for any honeymoon or just plain vacation. It has Duval street for your nightlife, a huge selection of great restaurants, and the 2nd largest natural coral reef in the word. We enjoyed day activities like jet ski island tours, snorkeling, and other water related stuff. Then go get a great dinner and then hit Duval for live music, cocktails, and entertainment.

Where did you find good restaurants? Going back soon and basically every place I've eaten save one has been like the most touristy trap places in New Orleans, but with I worse food.

BeastMan
01-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Where did you find good restaurants? Going back soon and basically every place I've eaten save one has been like the most touristy trap places in New Orleans, but with I worse food.

Let me think tomorrow and I'll generate a list. I'm exhausted and 2 absolut's deep right now

ETA- Conch Republic is 1

Dawg61
01-17-2015, 01:20 AM
I've never been married but pick a Sandals or Club Med anywhere and it's going to be an amazing time. Best part is the food too and there's a billion activities to do. Beautiful.

BeastMan
01-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Conch Republic- Great seafood. The only thing I don't care for is conch strangely enough. They serve it everywhere on the island like its a local big deal. I just don't care for it. Any other seafood is outstanding here.

Better than sex- Dessert only restaurant. Really cool place and atmosphere. I got some kind of chocolate bread pudding with a side of white choc mouse with the word sex written in milk chocolate on it. For drink I used an 8% ABV root beer float. We're talking 5 star quality desserts.

Blue Heaven- Best brunch ever. Crazy atmosphere: open air with roosters running around. One of the coolest places I've ever eaten.

The Strip House- High-end steak house with cool 1950's models on the wall (black and white photos) either in bathing suites or topless. Literally a strip house. It's not raunchy though, wife liked it. It's like Shapley's or Tico's as far as pricing and steak quality.

Camille- Good brunch and dinner. Seafood restaurant that has been around a while. Lunch is nothing special. Definitely a brunch or dinner spot.

La te Da- Outstanding brunch. Really good all around restaurant. It's right on Duval and has a hotel behind it that is connected I think. Even though it's open air, it's white table cloth. Even though you can be casual, they are a really nice spot.

Alonzo's- Cool seafood joint. Had a great fried lobster Po boy. Never had that before. Its not the high-end feel but what I'd call nice casual.

Margaritaville- Call me a sucker but a cheese burger in paradise is always fun

Ana's Cuban Cafe Deli and Market- Its just a window with tables and umbrellas but it is the best Cuban food I've ever had. Crazy good lunch plates.

BeastMan
01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Dug up a few pics. First 2 are better than Sex entrance and my dessert

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/C2B74EEA-B156-4BFC-8803-44019D94D020_zpscta7mk0c.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/FF68936C-D371-4799-BA97-CF6F0E3CC138_zps4lwciuvk.jpg

This is a Cuban lunch plate from Ana's

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/F8CDC2EE-B20E-46C2-919B-F4C45B594E88_zpsem4xn30n.jpg

Political Hack
01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
International: Antigua Sandals All Inclusive Resort. take the snake island excursion on the catamaran and snorkel into the island. it's not "extreme" unless you forget your sunscreen.

U.S. in May:

If you want a city excursion, there's only two options in the US... NYC and Chicago. Nothing else is worthy of a honeymoon.

If you're looking for a beach: Hawaii, Florida pan handle on 30A (stay seaside or watercolor). Florida's west coast on Sanibel (sp?) Island. The Keys. Ocracoke Island in OBX, North Carolina. Don't go to any other OBX places... just Ocracoke. It's where Blackbeard died and is one of my favorite trips ever. Some very cool restaurants and bars surround the inlet and you have miles of untouched, uncrowded beaches. You can seriously find stretches of beaches on the north part of the island where you don't see anyone else within eye sight. Also, react a golf cart when you get there. It's all you'll need to get around the village.

Mountains: Shenandoah Valley or Eastern TN near Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge are the most scenic areas in the eastern US.

Dawgcentral
01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Someone mentioned the area around Gatlinburg, TN. It's not really a high end destination, but if you're planning to spend most of the time in your lodging in the Great Smokey Mountains, I'd recommend a cabin in Wears Valley. You can pick an exceptional view, have plenty of privacy, a hot tub on the deck overlooking the mountains, a full kitchen, grilling on the deck,..and some scenic drives if you fell like leaving the accommodations. I'm not really into the touristy things in Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas, but the wildlife viewing in the National Park is fantastic.

Johnson85
01-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Conch Republic- Great seafood. The only thing I don't care for is conch strangely enough. They serve it everywhere on the island like its a local big deal. I just don't care for it. Any other seafood is outstanding here.

Better than sex- Dessert only restaurant. Really cool place and atmosphere. I got some kind of chocolate bread pudding with a side of white choc mouse with the word sex written in milk chocolate on it. For drink I used an 8% ABV root beer float. We're talking 5 star quality desserts.

Blue Heaven- Best brunch ever. Crazy atmosphere: open air with roosters running around. One of the coolest places I've ever eaten.

The Strip House- High-end steak house with cool 1950's models on the wall (black and white photos) either in bathing suites or topless. Literally a strip house. It's not raunchy though, wife liked it. It's like Shapley's or Tico's as far as pricing and steak quality.

Camille- Good brunch and dinner. Seafood restaurant that has been around a while. Lunch is nothing special. Definitely a brunch or dinner spot.

La te Da- Outstanding brunch. Really good all around restaurant. It's right on Duval and has a hotel behind it that is connected I think. Even though it's open air, it's white table cloth. Even though you can be casual, they are a really nice spot.

Alonzo's- Cool seafood joint. Had a great fried lobster Po boy. Never had that before. Its not the high-end feel but what I'd call nice casual.

Margaritaville- Call me a sucker but a cheese burger in paradise is always fun

Ana's Cuban Cafe Deli and Market- Its just a window with tables and umbrellas but it is the best Cuban food I've ever had. Crazy good lunch plates.

Gracias. Loved Blue Heaven. But like I said, I've struck out otherwise.

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
If you are considering the Pigeon Forge, TN, route - I would suggest use Aunt Bug's cabin rentals. They have 100's of cabins so you can pick whatever you want in a cabin. Seclusion, mountain view, hot tub, indoor pool...just decide what you want and it brings up what they have.

State82
01-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Memorial Day weekend?? That's SEC Tournament week! Honeymoon in Hoover baby!!! But, that's just me.

Bullmutt
01-21-2015, 02:12 PM
If you'd like a Smokey Mountain destination, I would highly recommend going to the N. Carolina side of the national park (no- NOT Cherokee!). It is much less touristy and family-oriented than anything close to Gatlinburg. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, consider the Old Edwards Inn in Highlands (it has a website)or the Inn at Half-Mile Farm. Actually, I would recommend the Highlands/Cashiers areas generally above just about any other location within an hour of the park. There are several excellent restaurants- Wolfgang's (best wine list), and Veranda on the Lake come to mind. There are a number of other quaint but very nice mountain towns within an hour's drive (Waynesville is very nice for strolling, shopping, and dining- Chef's Table, Frog's Leap). The Blue Ridge Parkway can be accessed from a number of locations within the general area, and Asheville is only about an hour-and-a-half away.