PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen it mentioned.... Mariotta entering draft.

RougeDawg
01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm sure no one is surprised and maybe I missed an earlier thread on it.

Will he be at QB taken? Rather have him over Baggage Winston.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
I'll lay it out like this:

With every prospect, no matter the sport, there is a 50/50 question that no scout, GM, or stat analyst can answer, and the answer to that 50/50 question will likely determine the outcome of that player's career.

Therefore, good front offices and scouts evaluate the physical tools of the player and then pour all their time into finding all the information they can in an attempt to have a well founded opinion on the 50/50 question.

With that in mind, here are the 50/50 questions for both Marriota and Winston:

Winston - Will he be in jail?

Marriota - Can he actually play at the NFL level?

In conclusion, IMO, I would choose Winston hands down. Every year in the NFL draft, there may only be 1 or 0 QBs that actually pan out at the NFL level. Franchise QBs that can lead you to the Super Bowl, simply aren't in the draft every year. However, I personally believe that Winston is that kind of talent, and Marriota is not. I also know that Winston seems to be a good teammate on both his football and baseball team. The players on both teams like him. I find this interesting because the players on the football team and the players on the baseball teams come from different demographics and, usually, socioeconomic backgrounds.

So with all these factors in mind, I take Winston and hope he doesn't get put in jail. Why? Because you need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl and I don't have one.

Really Clark?
01-15-2015, 05:07 AM
I'll lay it out like this:

With every prospect, no matter the sport, there is a 50/50 question that no scout, GM, or stat analyst can answer, and the answer to that 50/50 question will likely determine the outcome of that player's career.

Therefore, good front offices and scouts evaluate the physical tools of the player and then pour all their time into finding all the information they can in an attempt to have a well founded opinion on the 50/50 question.

With that in mind, here are the 50/50 questions for both Marriota and Winston:

Winston - Will he be in jail?

Marriota - Can he actually play at the NFL level?

In conclusion, IMO, I would choose Winston hands down. Every year in the NFL draft, there may only be 1 or 0 QBs that actually pan out at the NFL level. Franchise QBs that can lead you to the Super Bowl, simply aren't in the draft every year. However, I personally believe that Winston is that kind of talent, and Marriota is not. I also know that Winston seems to be a good teammate on both his football and baseball team. The players on both teams like him. I find this interesting because the players on the football team and the players on the baseball teams come from different demographics and, usually, socioeconomic backgrounds.

So with all these factors in mind, I take Winston and hope he doesn't get put in jail. Why? Because you need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl and I don't have one.

I agree with a lot you stated but here is where I disagree with you. How many franchise super bowl caliber QB's are actually drafted in the first round as the number #1 can't miss guy? You have a better chance to find the guy later in the draft. Or even just lower in the first round has a much better chance than a top 5 pick QB who are the ones labeled as franchise guys. Ands it's not just Brady. Brees, Wilson, Flacco, Rodgers should have been but teams missed his evaluation, Farve, Montana, if you actually take away the Manning's in recent history I think you have to go all the way back to Elway to find a #1 overall QB winning the Super Bowl. Do you look at Dilfer a #6 pick as a franchise guy? I don't think most people do. I do agree with the thought process that it's the other half that can't be scouted that will ultimately decide on how effective that player will be and how the player continues to develop.

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2015, 08:23 AM
I agree with a lot you stated but here is where I disagree with you. How many franchise super bowl caliber QB's are actually drafted in the first round as the number #1 can't miss guy? You have a better chance to find the guy later in the draft. Or even just lower in the first round has a much better chance than a top 5 pick QB who are the ones labeled as franchise guys. Ands it's not just Brady. Brees, Wilson, Flacco, Rodgers should have been but teams missed his evaluation, Farve, Montana, if you actually take away the Manning's in recent history I think you have to go all the way back to Elway to find a #1 overall QB winning the Super Bowl. Do you look at Dilfer a #6 pick as a franchise guy? I don't think most people do. I do agree with the thought process that it's the other half that can't be scouted that will ultimately decide on how effective that player will be and how the player continues to develop.

You make good points. It is the toughest position to evaluate in all of sports.

Tbonewannabe
01-15-2015, 01:19 PM
It seems like it mostly boils down to who works the hardest to become better. Also, does the team's offense suit the QB? I think there is a minimum you have to have physically but then it boils down to hard work. I think that is the difference in Teddy Bridgewater and JFF. JFF is probably overall more talented but he also loves to party. While he is dicking off, Bridgewater is outworking him.