PDA

View Full Version : For you craft beer enthusiasts I present this Icelandic beer from brewery Steoji

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
From the story:

For its winter ale "Hvalur," the brewery teamed up with a local whaling company of the same name. According to the product website, the beer is made with "Pure Icelandic water, malted barley, hops and sheep shit smoked whale balls."

And the link if you think I am making this up:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/14/in-iceland-theyre-considered-delicacy/?intcmp=features

mparkerfd20
01-14-2015, 02:29 PM
What is "Sheep shit smoked"? Do they literally smoke it with sheep shit?

Mjoelner34
01-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Just curious, what did you google to find this? LOL

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2015, 02:40 PM
What is "Sheep shit smoked"? Do they literally smoke it with sheep shit?

One has to assume. Believe I'll stick to Bud Light.

scottycameron
01-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Nothing new. There is a beer from Colorado I think, may be wrong but one of those states that makes a rocky mountain oyster beer. 25 lbs of bull nuts per 8 barrels of beer. I can't remember the name but it has been around a little while. I have no idea if bull nuts give a different flavor than whale nuts but I'd like to try them back to back. At first thought I would think the whale nuts would give it a fishier taste, which, IMO, would not be appetizing, but after further thinking, a whale is actually a mammal not a fish. Like a dolphin. I've never eaten whale or dolphin so I don't know if they have the fishy taste like fish have, or more a mammal taste like beef has. They are in the ocean so you think it has to taste fishy, but it may be more dependent on mammal vs. fish than where they live. I have no idea (like I said I've never tasted a mammal from the ocean). As far as sheep shit goes I don't get that, I'm thinking you misread the article or something, that doesn't sound good either way, fish or mammal.

DudyDawg
01-14-2015, 11:13 PM
I opened this w very high expectations for this beer. It far exceeded them, though not exactly how I was expecting....

mparkerfd20
01-14-2015, 11:55 PM
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/brewery-b?rg-releases-?sheep-sh-t-smoked?-ipa.201482/

Apparently sheep shit smoking is common in Iceland.