Looks like Ed Orgeron is headed to LSU.

Saltydog
01-14-2015, 09:12 AM
nt

TheRef
01-14-2015, 09:13 AM
nt

No idea....one can assume DC

ETA: Looks like LSU hired Kevin Steele (LB Coach at Bama) as their DC. Maybe they're adding O as a DL coach/Recruiting coordinator

Dawgface
01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I thought Steele was named DC yesterday.

TheRef
01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
I thought Steele was named DC yesterday.

You're right...

24/7 now reporting that he will be hired as DL coach

MetEdDawg
01-14-2015, 09:18 AM
You're right...

24/7 now reporting that he will be hired as DL coach

Isn't Brick Haley still there? Guess he's being told to get out or change positions.

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
DL coach http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Orgeron-joins-the-LSU-staff-34734319

And now we know what the holdup was. I think we came out better though. With a kid at LSU and twins who are seniors at Mandeville, this is probably the best move for him from a personal standpoint.

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Isn't Brick Haley still there? Guess he's being told to get out or change positions.

If he stays on staff I bet he coaches LBs

Really Clark?
01-14-2015, 09:20 AM
So Brick is headed to A & M? If they do get O it will stop their melting considerably. Their eyes were about to fallout with the Steel hire.

MetEdDawg
01-14-2015, 09:21 AM
If he stays on staff I bet he coaches LBs

Well I would assume Steele was going to coach LBs since that's what he was doing at Bama. Not sure that's been 100% confirmed but that was my assumption as to what would be going on.

TheRef
01-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Trey Mongrue
@TreyMongrue
Can't confirm yet which coach on the staff left. Smart money would say Brick considering he didn't get DC job. #LSU

8:23am ? 14 Jan 2015 ? Twitter Web Client

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
I know schools can add another coach in the spring. That's the only reason I'm not 100% Haley leaves

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
I feel good for Coach O because I think this is the job he really wanted. However, if LSU is dropping Brick Haley and gaining Coach O, I'm not really sure what the net gain there is. In fact, I may say that Brick Haley may be the better "technical" D line coach and with the players that LSU has put in the NFL, it would be hard to debate that.

What Coach O does bring though is the potential to recruit better, particularly on the national level. However, I'm not really sure the LSU can improve their recruiting without cutting into Alabama and Auburn's recruiting classes.

Again, good hire for LSU, but LSU already recruits at an elite level and, what players they do miss on, usually go to Alabama or Auburn.

So, for us, I don't think it makes a difference.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
LSU folk here don't know what is going on. Lot of smoke that Haley will be leaving LSU now, but who knows. They are trying to keep the staff together because they know they blew the DC hire.

What is going to be interesting is that Eddie O has no problem in stabbing a guy in the back - if I was Steele, I wouldn't bring much to my office, he won't be there long.

Really Clark?
01-14-2015, 09:36 AM
I know schools can add another coach in the spring. That's the only reason I'm not 100% Haley leaves

Has that been voted in yet? I thought I read it was just on the table but may be misremembering.

missouridawg
01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Coach O going to LSU is not good for us. We've done really well cherry picking some Louisiana talent. That will be significantly harder with Coach O in place.

I'd call Briston Guidry every day until he signs if I was Turner.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Coach O going to LSU is not good for us. We've done really well cherry picking some Louisiana talent. That will be significantly harder with Coach O in place.

Possibly, but they can only sign 25 and there are more than 25 legitimate players down there.

I don't think we beat LSU out much down there, but I think Bama does. Cam Robinson, Landon Collins, etc..

If Orgeron has big recruiting success at LSU, my guess is that it bites into Bama's class more than anyone else.

MSU has found a honey hole of good players in Louisiana that neither Bama or LSU are pushing for. I don't think that changes with O

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 09:47 AM

He's already decommitted right?

Statefan
01-14-2015, 09:48 AM

For the most part that's people LSU didn't push hard for -- Dak, JRob, Day etc.... We don't take 4* and 5* Louisiana kids that LSU really wants and that's not going to change with this. I just hope they don't start pushing into Mississippi and trying to snag some of our top talent

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Personally, I think LSU will use Orgeron more to recruit nationally than in Louisiana. He has a brand name nationally and in California that LSU can use to take some big time guys. But, again, if Orgeron is successful in doing that, I think he's just taking players away from Bama.

missouridawg
01-14-2015, 10:00 AM
He's already decommitted right?

No clue. I let my 247 subscription lapse and don't plan on re-upping it.

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 10:06 AM

He has. Just checked to make sure

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 10:06 AM

He has. Just checked to make sure

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Brick was offered an off the field job. It appears he's being pushed out per reports

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2015, 10:10 AM
At least going to LSU there will be no need for a translator.

RougeDawg
01-14-2015, 10:17 AM
At least going to LSU there will be no need for a translator.

Was thinking that myself. Living down here and working in an environment where many talk like that, I sometimes catch myself sounding like that, especially when drinking. My friends call me "Coach O" when drinking because they can't understand. Already had a slight hint of it being from biloxi, but it infiltrates your talking when you are immersed in it daily.

maroonmania
01-14-2015, 10:25 AM
For the most part that's people LSU didn't push hard for -- Dak, JRob, Day etc.... We don't take 4* and 5* Louisiana kids that LSU really wants and that's not going to change with this. I just hope they don't start pushing into Mississippi and trying to snag some of our top talent

You are dead on, with or without Coach O, we don't get guys in LA that LSU really wants. Don't believe we have any LA recruits in the current class that I can think of and we had already lost Moton and Guidry as soon as other schools started pushing. SO, the only concern with O is that he might be used to make more of a push on MS elite players given he has history in the state and some connections. Primary threat with O is definitely in MS not in LA.

RougeDawg
01-14-2015, 10:26 AM
WWL just reported that Eddie O will be a defensive assistance at LSU. Didn't give specifics. Just got an alert on phone.

FlabLoser
01-14-2015, 10:38 AM
What are the chances we swap Turner for Haley? Haley is an elite DL coach.

sandwolf
01-14-2015, 10:39 AM
You are dead on, with or without Coach O, we don't get guys in LA that LSU really wants. Don't believe we have any LA recruits in the current class that I can think of and we had already lost Moton and Guidry as soon as other schools started pushing. SO, the only concern with O is that he might be used to make more of a push on MS elite players given he has history in the state and some connections. Primary threat with O is definitely in MS not in LA.

Completely agree. I expect him to be all over Jamal Peters and Leo Lewis between now an signing day......and when LSU sets their sights on south MS recruits who actually live closer to Baton Rouge than they do Starkville or Oxford, they have a really good success rate. I have been really surprised that they have not been more of a factor in Peters' and Lewis' recruitment.

War Machine Dawg
01-14-2015, 10:51 AM
What are the chances we swap Turner for Haley? Haley is an elite DL coach.

If we could make that happen, I'd be ecstatic. LOVE Brick Haley. We should've had him on our short list of DC candidates. Problem is whether we're finally going to start paying market value to get high quality assistants or if we'll just keep on trying to play the "poor ol' MSU" card with assistant salaries.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll be stunned if Haley agrees to an adminstrative position, i just don't see it. If he does get pushed out, that is an elite coach and recruiter available.

I can easily see Bama hiring him.

NCDawg
01-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Personally, I think LSU will use Orgeron more to recruit nationally than in Louisiana. He has a brand name nationally and in California that LSU can use to take some big time guys. But, again, if Orgeron is successful in doing that, I think he's just taking players away from Bama.

LSU seems to get just about anybody they want anyway. He would have helped us more than LSU, but I guess we couldn't or didn't want to come up with the money to pay him.

maroonmania
01-14-2015, 12:37 PM
LSU seems to get just about anybody they want anyway. He would have helped us more than LSU, but I guess we couldn't or didn't want to come up with the money to pay him.

I think the point is O prefers to be at LSU right now, and given he has a kid there and he's from LA it makes sense. The only issue is I thought all the hangups with O on our end were due to Chavis leaving LSU but it appears they likely would have pushed out Haley to get O as DL coach regardless of who the DC was.

Really Clark?
01-14-2015, 12:57 PM

I don't think money was the issue as much as he tried to slow play us once the LSU deal happened. I think things started to change with him and we decided to see who wants our job more. Diaz won the position. You know maybe some of these type of decisions that he has made over the years is exactly why he has never been a DC. He had that opportunity here and is again a DL coach. Now obviously being his home state and family probably played a part as well.

Bothrops
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
May not be able to do any better in Louisiana, but Coach O will definitely improve their recruiting for kids outside the state. This is not good for us especially for south MS.

MabenMaroon
01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
I am actually tickled that Coach O has landed at an SECW school, there may be a real short run of enthusiasm and an uptick in recruiting, but look at his bio and employment history. Everywhere he has been, he was on staff that was crumbling on their way to demise or landed in a deep pile of doodoo. I am glad we went with Manny and really didn't want Coach O, even if it could have boosted our recruiting in the short run. We are building a strong program on a strong foundation that will last, no need for quick fixes. Our recruiting has steadily improved from year one of the Mullen era and doesn't look to be headed anywhere but up. I am not an old Dawg but an older Dawg and even I have the patience to see it through in the manner which we have been approaching it. Sure, immediate success would be cool to puff our chests out about but when we get to that top level I want to see it last for a long time.